H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 02-10-2010, 02:20 AM
Elcova Newbie

danmalv is on a distinguished road
Default NEED HELP HERE!!!!

I have a 2003 H2 and was driving last week when the vehicle just died at 65 MPH. I got pulled off the highway and the rig won't restart, rather, it would sputter and die again. Prior to this incident, I had my oil changed and the engine light was on and the mechanic did a dio on the computer and it indicated an issue with both 02 sensors before and after the catalytic converter (Totaling 4) and an EVAP Solenoid needed to be replaced. Now, I have a dead rig and can not figure out what happened or what it might be?? I ordered a new EVAP Solenoid and I am going to replace that, can that cause the rig to do what it did? I have been trying to start it every day it has been sitting and it will start for about 3 sec and then die again. The car will not start and continue to run, any suggestions or answers here guys?? I am at a loss and can't get it into a shop because of my distance from town. Do you think it may be the sensors instead of the solenoid? Also, I am not sure where the solenoid is located and I do not have a repair manual to go by?? Anyway, I could really use some input here, thanks!!
Old 02-10-2010, 02:42 AM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NEED HELP HERE!!!!

I'd talk to a professional but there's a couple of things that don't sound right.

1st) I can't see all O2 sensors going out at the exact same time. Not saying it's not possible, just not probable.

2nd) Even if the O2 sensors went bad, I think the truck will still run. It will leave CEL's on but still run (no matter how rough)

Perhaps someone can chime in to inform you better....

Mark
Old 02-10-2010, 07:30 AM
Hummer Veteran

codered is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmalv
I have a 2003 H2 and was driving last week when the vehicle just died at 65 MPH. I got pulled off the highway and the rig won't restart, rather, it would sputter and die again. Prior to this incident, I had my oil changed and the engine light was on and the mechanic did a dio on the computer and it indicated an issue with both 02 sensors before and after the catalytic converter (Totaling 4) and an EVAP Solenoid needed to be replaced. Now, I have a dead rig and can not figure out what happened or what it might be?? I ordered a new EVAP Solenoid and I am going to replace that, can that cause the rig to do what it did? I have been trying to start it every day it has been sitting and it will start for about 3 sec and then die again. The car will not start and continue to run, any suggestions or answers here guys?? I am at a loss and can't get it into a shop because of my distance from town. Do you think it may be the sensors instead of the solenoid? Also, I am not sure where the solenoid is located and I do not have a repair manual to go by?? Anyway, I could really use some input here, thanks!!

You have a fuel problem. To me it sounds like you are running lean. That may be why when you plugged into the computer that it said all 02 sensors are bad. The car will still drive OK, but you will lose mpg withg bad senors. Somewhere in the fuel system you are not getting enough fuel. could be fuel filter, injectors, both right and left banks could be running lean from fouled plugs possibly.
But o2 senors go bad for a reason most of the time, unless they get damaged, and all 4 of them is highly unlikley. All they do is monitor the amount of fuel coming into the exhaust and tell the fuel sytem to send more or less fuel to keep the cats from overheating. Pull one of the o2 sensors out and see if it is really white on the tip, if so you are running lean.
if you know a good dyno tuner that could plug into the computer i would. don't let just some local shop or dealer work on it. Have the them tune out the rear o2 sensors. It will not hurt the car and it will save you Trouble down the road. Plus with the tune you will get some more hp.
I had the same type of problem with my GTO. I had my tuner look at it and it was fouled up plugs and 1 bad o2 sensor causing my left bank to run lean, causing the car to hesitate and die.
If you have any questions pm me and i'll give the number for the shop that does all my engine work on my cars. They can walk u through it maybe.

hope this helps!
Old 02-10-2010, 02:12 PM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Like Codered mentioned, you may even have a fuel pump on it's way out. If I don't sell my engine, supercharger and tranny as one unit, I'll have an extra fuel pump laying around. If everything sells at once, I'll have to sell the fuel pump with it.

Mark
Old 02-10-2010, 06:57 PM
Elcova Newbie

Sounds good, thanks Mark! I will check the fuel filter out like Codered said and see what transpires there. Again, thanks for the offer and help.

Dan
Old 02-10-2010, 07:05 PM
Hummer Veteran

ben86 is on a distinguished road

Since my car was like. I thought this is the fuel pump, but it is not correct.
The reason was different. After the air filter is the air flow sensor.
Disconnect the wires from it, unscrew the 2 clamp. Remove it from the car and wash with alcohol. Then Blow air and set in place.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:01 AM
Hummer Veteran

Xotik H3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush
Like Codered mentioned, you may even have a fuel pump on it's way out. If I don't sell my engine, supercharger and tranny as one unit, I'll have an extra fuel pump laying around. If everything sells at once, I'll have to sell the fuel pump with it.

Mark

Without a doubt... and it is not only on the way out... as they say "Elvis has left the building".
Old 02-13-2010, 10:40 PM
Elcova Newbie

Well, it turned out to be a bad fuel pump. After changing the evap solenoid, fuel filter and plugs, the rig would not run at all. We checked the fuel pump by turning the key on and only heard 2 quick clicks and no whinning from the fuel pump. We then placed a small amount of gas in the carb and the rig fired right up, firsty sign of no gas getting to the injectors or motor. Anyway, I have a new fuel pump in route and should have it running Monday, thanks for all of your input.