H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 06-16-2011, 04:21 PM
Elcova Rookie

dfwt70gt is on a distinguished road
Default New owner with a problem

Hello all!

New owner of a 2005 SUV. Couldn't be more happy. I've always wanted one!

Now of course, Murphy's law has kicked in already. It didn't have this issue when I test drove it but now it's reared its head. I have a strange sqweak sometimes while driving. Never happens when I'm parked, only when moving. Its an intermittent noise but it stays constant. The noise level does not change with speed. At first I thought belts. The AC belt had visible cracking so I replaced both belts. Still have the noise. When I hear the noise, I'll give the steering wheel a little input and sometimes that will make it go away for a short time. Then it comes back. Any ideas?

I've searched this site with common words to my problem but haven't had much luck finding out what I should do next. Any help would be great. I'm not gonna let this stupid noise ruin my dream vehicle.

Thanks for anything! Happy to finally be in the club!
Old 06-16-2011, 08:07 PM
Hummer Professional

Big.Z.hummin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New owner with a problem

sorry i don't have an exact answer for you but i have a very constant squeak coming from the inside and i'm almost positive its a loose bolt in the dash... but im not gonna spend hours tearing through my dash looking for it. loose bolts are a very common source of squeaks. but from what you are describing it sounds as if its coming from under the hood?

oh and welcome to the forum! anything you need can usually be found on here

73' Dodge Charger. 400 Magnum. B5 Blue. White Leather.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:58 PM
Elcova Rookie

It definitely sounds like it's coming from the engine bay. At first I thought wheel bearing but there isn't any grinding noise when I hear it. I wish it was obvious which place it is coming from. Could it be that a pulley is catching and the belt is sliding across it causing the noise? Is there a history of any of the pulley system failing like that?
Old 06-22-2011, 04:46 PM
Elcova Rookie

So I've ruled out the issue being in the engine area. I'm pretty sure its the passenger side wheel bearing/hub assembly. I'm starting to search for a good price on the part, but I'd like to know if anyone has performed this service on their own. Is it difficult? With basic tools am I going to have a major headache? Any pointers or tips to help take this on?

Thanks!
Old 06-22-2011, 04:56 PM
Hummer Professional

Big.Z.hummin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwt70gt
So I've ruled out the issue being in the engine area. I'm pretty sure its the passenger side wheel bearing/hub assembly. I'm starting to search for a good price on the part, but I'd like to know if anyone has performed this service on their own. Is it difficult? With basic tools am I going to have a major headache? Any pointers or tips to help take this on?

Thanks!
wow sorry i didnt mention that before. before i had my hubs replaced(15k ago) they would squeal obnoxiously at low speeds and especially on accelerations. thats probably your problem. how many miles do you have?

73' Dodge Charger. 400 Magnum. B5 Blue. White Leather.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:32 PM
Elcova Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big.Z.hummin
wow sorry i didnt mention that before. before i had my hubs replaced(15k ago) they would squeal obnoxiously at low speeds and especially on accelerations. thats probably your problem. how many miles do you have?

I bought it with just shy of 100k an now i'm about 101k.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:48 AM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

It could be the wind deflector for the sunroof. They have been known to squeak and it drove me crazy finally trying to pin it down. Open the sun roof and take hold of the deflector and see if it stops. Then there's the windshield trim pieces, that can rattle, buzz, and squeak if not firmly in place with an adhesive.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:31 AM
Elcova Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummerJim
It could be the wind deflector for the sunroof. They have been known to squeak and it drove me crazy finally trying to pin it down. Open the sun roof and take hold of the deflector and see if it stops. Then there's the windshield trim pieces, that can rattle, buzz, and squeak if not firmly in place with an adhesive.

I know thats not it. It has to be that bearing/hub assembly. I'm just curious how difficult a job its gonna be.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:35 PM
Hummer Veteran

SmokeyJoe is on a distinguished road

Welcome

I just replaced my wheel bearing on both sides. Its not that hard to do, I took my sweet a$$ time and was through in 3 hours. The entire hub unbolts from the back as an assembly. I used Timken hubs.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:24 AM
Hummer Professional

Scarsman is on a distinguished road

It could also be brake squeal. They may not be worn out, but sometimes it gets dry and dusty between the pad and the caliper if they weren't lubed well with the proper lube, and can squeal just going down the road. You could pull the wheel off and hose the caliper down really well with a can of brake cleaner and see if it stops. If it does, then I would just pull the caliper off and clean the back of the pads and relube them where they contact the caliper piston and put it back together. Just make sure you use actual disc brake lube. Most parts stores have little single use packets of them on the counter for a buck or so. Like little ketchup packets.
Wheels - Black bedliner on stock wheels
Gas cap lid - still chrome but will soon be black bedliner
Tail light guards - still chrome but will be black bedliner
Grill - Still chrome but will be black bedliner
Hmmmm, is there a pattern developing here?
Old 06-26-2011, 02:25 AM
Hummer Novice

Coshmi is on a distinguished road

Shocking that a retard has a problem, Who the H ell buys a used hummer when the new ones brake down and rust thru if you look at them too hard.
BTW I hope your hummer burns down and takes your house with it. But not wile your in it I wish you no harm.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:24 AM
Hummer Professional

H2R is on a distinguished road

A troll who can't spell... wow!
1974 Corvette conv. (454ci)
31ft Gulf Craft Boat
Old 06-26-2011, 06:59 AM
Hummer Novice

Coshmi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2R
A troll who can't spell... wow!

Don't you know that I don't really care about good grammar I'm just trying to piss Humvee owners off because they keep running into my wonderful 1988 festiva
Old 06-26-2011, 01:51 PM
Elcova Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarsman
It could also be brake squeal. They may not be worn out, but sometimes it gets dry and dusty between the pad and the caliper if they weren't lubed well with the proper lube, and can squeal just going down the road. You could pull the wheel off and hose the caliper down really well with a can of brake cleaner and see if it stops. If it does, then I would just pull the caliper off and clean the back of the pads and relube them where they contact the caliper piston and put it back together. Just make sure you use actual disc brake lube. Most parts stores have little single use packets of them on the counter for a buck or so. Like little ketchup packets.

I never thought of that. I'll start there next. The only reason I have my doubts about that is because the noise is intermittent and no one thing will cause it to start. Actually i take that back. If i'm making a sharp left turn going slow then i hear it and its very pronounced. Almost like two metal pieces being rubber together. Plus i'm sure my tires don't help the issue ouy any. Previous owner slapped on some Nitto Mud Grapplers. Damn truck sounds like an airplane! I hate these tires! My next mod after figuring this out is a nice long wearing set of AT's.