H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 02-13-2010, 02:14 PM
Hummer Veteran

Al is off the scale
Default Extend Extended Warranty?

The extended GM MajorGuard warranty on my 2005 SUT is about the expire. I'm debating whether or not to extend it another 3 years at a cost of $4,100.00. The warranty has served me well since I have had a few rather costly items repaired under warranty. The dealer says with almost 65,000 miles I may soon be having to repair/replace some major, costly components. For those of you with older vehicles with higher mileage, what types of major problems/repairs have you experienced? I love my H2. It's the best vehicle I've ever owned and I plan on keeping it for many more years. Any advice, suggestions appreciated.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:14 PM
Hummer Veteran

Al is off the scale
Default Re: Extend Extended Warranty?

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:23 PM
Hummer Veteran

Olfart is on a distinguished road

Didn't think they would extend the warranty. The extended warranty on my used 2004 H2 expired in September and when I contacted the dealer for an extension I was told that GM would not issue (sell) another extended warranty because of the sale of Hummer to the Japs.
BTW...My extended 3yr warranty cost $1100 in 2006 and from the repairs I have had done over the last 3 yrs it was well worth it

Last edited by Olfart : 02-13-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:26 PM
Hummer Authority

Boss Hoss is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al
The extended GM MajorGuard warranty on my 2005 SUT is about the expire. I'm debating whether or not to extend it another 3 years at a cost of $4,100.00. The warranty has served me well since I have had a few rather costly items repaired under warranty. The dealer says with almost 65,000 miles I may soon be having to repair/replace some major, costly components. For those of you with older vehicles with higher mileage, what types of major problems/repairs have you experienced? I love my H2. It's the best vehicle I've ever owned and I plan on keeping it for many more years. Any advice, suggestions appreciated.

How long do you plan on keeping it? You can have alot of work done for $4,100 even if you are not able to work on it yourself. Do you plan on towing heavy loads frequently? Plan on wheeling very hard? If the answer is no i would say no way Jose.

I have aroudn 85k on mine and just had to replace the hubs on both sides of my truck and a half shaft both covered underwarrranty and i think its safe to say youll eventually need to replace the ball joints. I also had some swtich replaced in my ac control unit as the temp control was not working effectively. I could be wrong, but I do not think i have not had close to $4,100 in work done to my truck total; even at Stealership rates(all covered under warranty however).

20in Kaotik NT-1s with 35x13.50Pro Comp Xtreme All terrain
Old 02-16-2010, 07:04 PM
Hummer Professional

MVR 155 is on a distinguished road

that seems really excessive for more coverage.... is that quote from your dealer? I purchased my 2002 Z06 Corvette which was just over 3 years old and at the beginning of a GMPP major guard warranty..... I extended it in the summer of 2007 for 4 years and the least amount of miles (I think it was 32K... dont have the paperwork in front of me right now).... I think it was a total of $1600 +/-

We also purchased a major guard GMPP for our H2 (which came out of factory warranty in September). I purchased 3 years and 24K of coverage (we dont put many miles on our rig) for around $1300-1400

I purchased both major guard plans from www.gmoutlet.com these guys had the best price hands down on the GMPP plans, I spend a ton of time on the Corvette forum and this topic has been beat to death over there, I shopped the 2 best recommended (Fichter chevy was the other) places both times and this place had the best price.... my local dealer (where I know the service writer) quoted me nearly $2000 for the same plan. I would suggest shopping the above link before making your decision.

Good Luck

SOLD 2006 H2 SUV Luxury: Pewter ext/Black int.

2002 Corvette Z06 Blue/Ebony (light mods)
1/4 mile: 11.661@118.86

2013 Audi S4

2002 Yamaha YZF R1 Blue/White
1/4 mile: 10.51@136

2006 Sea-Doo RXP (70.6mph GPS)
2005 Sea-Doo RXT
Old 02-16-2010, 09:02 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

That price sounds very high. I have a son that took a US Fidelis Extended Auto warranty paid up front, and he's up a creek without a paddle now and without 1600. Unless it's with GM or a dealer you know will be there in four years, it's a risky purchase IMHO.
http://consumerist.com/2009/04/car-w...oday-show.html
Old 02-17-2010, 02:49 AM
Hummer Authority

Viet Nam Vette is an unknown quantity at this point

Bought my 09 in Sept of 09 with a GM majorgaurd warranty.It was $2400.00 for an additional 4 Years giving me a total of 7 Years. I have also received offers from GM direct om my old now gone H3 about two months ago for an add on once my warranty went on that.

I would contact GM Warranty direct and seee if you can get one on your rig. I understand there is a cut of milage for the waranty and the cost is based on the miles now showing on you odometer.

Also..I had canceled my waranty on my 09 Corvette and got the balance in cash which I applied to the H2. When you cancell your warranty before term with GM they will prorate and refund the diff.
$4000.00 sounds somewaht high to me.