H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 12-08-2005, 12:27 AM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Beastmaster:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PARAGON:
Unless you were doing the projector, clearly Beastmaster's setup is the best route. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh - dumb question. Do you still have any pattern pictures of when you were running the X6024 Sylvania's?

-Steve </div></BLOCKQUOTE>They're still in there. I'll have to remember to do a picture this weekend. I guess I could search and see if I have a picture on here. Seems like I put them in around the first of '03 or so.

PhilD also did them and figured out how to tap a hole to get to the other aiming screw to get them set right. I kept taking them in and out a couple of times and got lucky on the aiming.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:44 AM
Hummer Expert

Beastmaster is off the scale

I took some time to calculate what those dual bulb HID H4's would create. The units listed on eBay are 6000k bulbs.

6000K HID bulbs = 2500 lumens per capsule. 2x2500 on low capsule + 2x2500 on high capsule = 10000 lumens out of both headlights.

In comparison:
60/55w Halogens = 1500 lumens per bulb on either low or high. 2x1500 on low + 2x1500 on high = 6000 Lumens.

80/80w Halogens = 1900 lumens per bulb on either low or high. 2x1900 on low + 2x1900 on high = 7600 lumens.

5000k HID = 3000 lumens per bulb. 2x3000 on low = 6000 lumens (which equals stock halogens with BOTH low and high turned on).

So - if (and that's a big if) you were able to get ALL the light efficiently onto the road and into a useable pattern with that eBay special, you would have quite a bit of light - who needs additional lighting?
Old 12-08-2005, 12:47 AM
Hummer Authority

Location: In da Chi! I am not only the originator of the H.O.A.B. club. I am also a member
Mr. I - Man is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats what I was thinking and 70watts is not that bad considering some jackasses are run 80/100 watt piaas in their OEM buckets. Only H4's have the motorized cutoff(or a cut-off between the filament on halogen H4 bulbs). 9007 have side by side filaments so in theory they will work perfect in the OEM buckets with no mods.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:48 AM
Hummer Expert

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PARAGON:
They're still in there. I'll have to remember to do a picture this weekend. I guess I could search and see if I have a picture on here. Seems like I put them in around the first of '03 or so.

PhilD also did them and figured out how to tap a hole to get to the other aiming screw to get them set right. I kept taking them in and out a couple of times and got lucky on the aiming. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahh. Cool. The reason why I'm curious is because Allan Madar's picture is taken with photographic equipment that's a bit older, and therefore not as adjustable via PhotoShop.

I need to beat on NJ H2 next and have him get me high res pics of what he posted. Those are probably the best garage shots of the XE7's I've seen yet. There's a couple of jeepers that did the XE7 projector upgrade, but their stuff was all final install shots and no garage wall shots.

Thanks!
Steve
Old 12-08-2005, 12:53 AM
Hummer Expert

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mr. I - Man:
Thats what I was thinking and 70watts is not that bad considering some jackasses are run 80/100 watt piaas in their OEM buckets </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but those 80 watt PIAA's are only putting out 3800 lumens. 6000k HID's put out 5000 lumens.

So, for 70 watts of draw, you're able (if you can get the high/low beam to do BOTH at the same time) to put out 10000 lumens of light. That's painful....and yet very, very fascinating! I know that even with the high cutoff range of the Hella E-Codes, there would be a TON of light leakage with both high and low beams on at the same time.

If I didn't have this spare HID set that I'm waiting for a fellow Hummer owner to pay for (on vacation right now), I'd get one of them and swap these in place of my McCulloch's.

You know, I just thought of what I just said. High beams will leak light anyways past the horizontal glare line - so who cares?
Old 12-08-2005, 01:49 AM
Hummer Expert

The more I think about these units, the more ideas I come up with.

Take this eBay special, and put the capsules into a PIAA 525, which is a dual beam H4 based lamp. Wire them up to give you the ability to turn on the high and low beams of the capsules (and their respective ballasts and ignitors) separately. If you did that, combined with ANY of the HID setups, you'll have:

HID Headlamps - 6000 lumens total
PIAA 525 HID mod low beams - 5000 lumens total
PIAA 525 HID mod high beams - 5000 lumens total.

That combination will then crank out 16000 lumens, in a controllable low beam/high beam/low and high beam auxilary light, with either low only HID reflectors or low/high projectors.

That amount of lighting is equal to 10 PIAA 520's putting out a mere 1500 lumens each (roughly).

All with only two auxiliary lights in the front. Nice, huh? And a total draw of about 17.5 amps. (35 watts per ballast x 6 ballasts = 210 watts of draw. Divide by 12. 17.5 amps is the draw). Compare that to 45.8 amps for the 10 PIAA 520's [(55w x 10)/12].

-Steve
Old 12-08-2005, 05:22 AM
Hummer Veteran

Nixxxster is off the scale

Check this site they make custom projection HID. NJ H2 have a set. Theu look pretty good and are Bi-Xenon projector.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:23 AM
Hummer Veteran

Nixxxster is off the scale

Sorry forgot the site http://www.hidtech.com/
Old 12-08-2005, 01:10 PM
Hummer Authority

Location: In da Chi! I am not only the originator of the H.O.A.B. club. I am also a member
Mr. I - Man is an unknown quantity at this point

Riddle me this? If the projectors are so superior to reflectors. Why do the Baja buggy and Trophy trucks rock the reflector HID setup.

I don't see any projectors on those vehicles, you would think if they were a better light source they would use them. They would save a lot of space a weight.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:19 PM
Hummer Authority

ree is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Beastmaster:
The more I think about these units, the more ideas I come up with
-Steve </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve,
How does all this lumen stuff relate to candlepower. Putting on lights recently, I researched state laws for home and surrounding states and they all have statutes talking about 300 candlepower limits on all lights in operation. Isn't candlepower luminous intensity? How can you get from a manufacturers rating wattage and lumens ratings to candlepower accurately, or can you?

Basically, are these statutes ancient cruft or something that the states can actually prosecute you on?
Old 12-08-2005, 04:21 PM
Hummer Expert

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mr. I - Man:
Riddle me this? If the projectors are so superior to reflectors. Why do the Baja buggy and Trophy trucks rock the reflector HID setup.

I don't see any projectors on those vehicles, you would think if they were a better light source they would use them. They would save a lot of space a weight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Projectors give better light patterns, but technically aren't as durable. They rely specifically on optic precision to help generate their light pattern.

Reflectors are far more durable. Free Form reflectors with clear lenses will outperform any other light in terms of durability.

That's why all off road units tend to use reflectors.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:27 PM
Hummer Expert

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ree:
Steve,
How does all this lumen stuff relate to candlepower. Putting on lights recently, I researched state laws for home and surrounding states and they all have statutes talking about 300 candlepower limits on all lights in operation. Isn't candlepower luminous intensity? How can you get from a manufacturers rating wattage and lumens ratings to candlepower accurately, or can you?

Basically, are these statutes ancient cruft or something that the states can actually prosecute you on? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's kind of crap. Here's the relationship.

Lumens is a definition as to how bright a light is. It's measured within a device called an "integrating sphere", and identical lights will have nearly identical lumen values.

Candlepower is a measurement of the amount of light intensity based upon a specific distance. It's also dependent on how focused the beam is and how far away your measurement tool is from the light source.

Candlepower figures are useful only when you have lumen figures to compare with it. For example:

You have a KC Hilite HID light that's pencil beam, and you have another KC Hilite HID light that's driving beam. The Pencil beam and driving beam both use the same D2S bulb, so both have the same lumen rating.

However, the Candlepower settings are different. Pencil gives you 3 million CP, the driving beam gives only 750k CP. The difference is the focus.

So CP really is how intense the light focus is given a specific area, Lumens is how bright the light actually is based on the bulb itself.

Correction - Pencil gives 600k, Driving gives 75k.