H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 02-03-2006, 09:44 PM
Hummer Authority

Easy Ed is an unknown quantity at this point

Over 36,000 miles on the truck, time to try and figure it out myself.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:22 AM
Hummer Expert

walc is off the scale

Very nice work!

2008 Ford F250 Super Duty, 6.4L PSD, XLT, 4x4, LB.
2006 Hummer H2 SUT.
2003 Land Rover Discovery S.
2007 Mercedes Benz E350.
2006 BMW M3 Convertible.
2007 Harley Davidson FXD Dyna Super Glide.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:58 AM
Hummer Authority

Thanks walc, This mirror was replaced on 3/05 with 28,900 miles on the clock due to the "vibrating mirror" problem (does it again) then it goes and does this, oh well, such is life.

I added two more pictures showing the before and after of the circuit board.

Easy Ed
Old 02-09-2006, 01:08 AM
Hummer Guru

dochummer is an unknown quantity at this point

So does it work normally now?

'03 H2
Old 02-09-2006, 01:18 AM
Hummer Authority

Yup, sure does.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:54 PM
Hummer Veteran

JohnnyRPM is off the scale

How ugly was the door panel removal process? Did it all go back together again rattle free? Seems every time I do this on a car I snap at least 2 of those christmas tree connectors and have a rattle or squeak afterwards that wasn't there before.

Both my mirrors nolonger fold and I'd love to be able to fix them myself like this.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:23 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

That's pretty cool work, there slick.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:10 AM
Hummer Authority

PhilD and KenP, thanks, I really should have taken the time to see if the vibrating problem could have been fixed while I had it out but was tired of screwing with it and was just glad the damn thing worked again :-)

Maybe I need to get a donor mirror from the salvage yard or E-bay and play around with it to see if it is fixable.

JohnnyRPM, I added more pictures to show how I took the door panel apart. It went back together without any problems and is just as quite as before.

If I might make a couple suggestions to anyone thinking of doing this, check fuses first, there should be a DDM and a PDM fuse, (one for each side) but if the fuse is blown I'd think none of the mirror functions will work. Also, when you push the button to fold in the mirrors, listen for the motors to see if they are running. In my case I could hear the passenger side motor run as the mirror did fold in but there was no sound coming from the drivers side mirror.

Hope this helps some out there fix theirs.

Side note, If I got the chance I'd consider going with the newer style mirrors, kinda like the looks of them.

Easy Ed
Old 02-10-2006, 11:14 AM
Hummer Veteran

JohnnyRPM is off the scale

Easy Ed.....you are the best!!!! Great step by step on the whole thing! My motors run but just can't move the mirrors so this is just the thing I was hoping could be done.

I had a badass '85 Fiero GT performed a similar fix for the hideaway headlight motors. There was one guy who even made a whole business out of reconditioning the headlight motors from Fieros and Firebirds for non do-it-yourselfers.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:36 AM
Hummer Veteran

The Ledge is off the scale

Thanks for the How To's and congrats on solving your problem.

I have experienced both of my mirrors not closing during the winter during temps at freezing and below. My garage is not insulated so it occurs overnight. I am only guessing, but based on what you found inside yours, water accumulated in mine has frozen over inside. They will gradually begin to function during the day as the temps rise and "thaw"out whatever was solidified. Again, I've noticed these anomolies have only occurred during times of freezing temps. And after seeing what water eventually did to your circuit board I can only surmise that I am sitting on a more potential of a problem.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:49 PM
Hummer Authority

JohnnyRPM, Did you try folding the mirrors in manually and then use the button to see if they "unfold" ? Just a thought.

I found that the mirrors will fold manually from the window and then towards the front of the truck, 180 degrees. You can feel the "click" when it reaches the unfolded and folded positions.

Can we get a Hummer Tech to chime in here to tell us what the "official" cause is for the mirrors giving up the ghost when it comes to the folding issue ?
Old 04-09-2006, 04:35 AM
Hummer Guru

Great write-up Ed. Just fixed my driver's side mirror today. Had the same problem with the moisture and corrosion build up. I used WD40 to clean it up...didn't quite get it as clean as you, but it works perfectly now. I also picked up a couple of new mirrors from ebay for dirt cheap....guess I'll save them in case I have trail damage...

'03 H2
Old 04-09-2006, 12:37 PM
Hummer Authority

Good to hear it worked for ya, did it take long to fix it ? Any problems along the way beside being a pain in the butt ?
Old 04-09-2006, 03:50 PM
Hummer Guru

Not too long...maybe a couple of hours. I didn't pull the switch panel before pulling the whole panel off....I did forget to hook the courtesy light back up and slammed the door on it when i was rushing to finish. Quick trip to Schucks for a new bulb. . All in all, easy fix...

'03 H2
Old 04-10-2006, 04:09 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Since this is such a common problem on the early models, I wonder if HUMMER will cover the mirrors under warranty now?
Old 04-10-2006, 07:25 AM
Hummer Authority

Below was the response I got from the mfg of the mirror and had in the vibration repair post. My understanding is that there is an upgraded version of the motor unit and that was why I wrote them to begin with to see if they were interchangable.

I have noticed that they changed their site to no longer show the actuators but just a blurb at the last sentence here http://automotive.eaton.com/product/

Mr. Sheridan,
I apologize for my delayed response. I was on vacation last week. Unfortunately, due to warranty/performance issues. The mirror maker, in this case Delbar, does not offer the stand alone powerfold actuator for sale as a service part. They only sell complete mirror assemblies. As the component manufacturer, we are not able to sell this direct to service due to Delbar's position as the Tier 1. Your only option is to replace the whole mirror, should it happen again.

Just FYI - the logo is IKU. Eaton acquired this company a few years back.

I'm sorry I didn't have better news.

Regards,
Michael Asmussen
Global Sales and Product Strategy Manager - Mirror Controls
Eaton Automotive
5200 S. State Rd.
Ann Arbor, MI 48108
Office: 734-623-5250
Mobile: 734-604-5569
email: MichaelLAsmussen@Eaton.com
Old 04-10-2006, 06:02 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by KenP:
Since this is such a common problem on the early models, I wonder if HUMMER will cover the mirrors under warranty now?

I spoke with my local dealership, and they said more likely GM will not cover the mirrors when out of warranty even though there is a known problem...

'03 H2
Old 05-16-2006, 08:57 PM
Hummer Expert

MDimitri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driver Side Mirror Not Folding In

I had the same problem with both my mirrors, they both worked well for a while but then my passenger side no longer folded in, and in about a month later my driver side was no longer folding in. I took the truck to Shaw GMC, look at it and replaced both mirrors(under warranty). Okay, I was happy, everything worked again...for a month and a half!! then they both crapped out again! Back to GM I went and this time they replased them with the new H2 mirrors, (Black housing with chrome H2 stamped on the front). Had these on now for just over 2 months and they work great. If you don't have warranty these mirrors will run you anywhere between $900.00 to $1,100.00/ea! YIKES!
Old 05-16-2006, 09:10 PM
Hummer Guru

DDWH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driver Side Mirror Not Folding In

Mine are being replaced under warranty and I didn't even have to beg them. Passenger side was fine, drivers side was alittle loose and rattled/shaked. Wish they would hurry up and get them in though, I have been waiting for 3 weeks now for the new mirrors!