H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 05-16-2006, 09:13 PM
Hummer Authority

ree is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driver Side Mirror Not Folding In

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDWH
Mine are being replaced under warranty and I didn't even have to beg them.
Mine were replaced by a dealer and I didn't even think they were hosed. They seemed to work just fine when I took it in. I'm sort of suspicious that that dealer is so fast at replacing them that they'll do it just for the excess warranty revenue. If that's the case, it's a shame.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:47 PM
Hummer Guru

DDWH is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree
Mine were replaced by a dealer and I didn't even think they were hosed. They seemed to work just fine when I took it in. I'm sort of suspicious that that dealer is so fast at replacing them that they'll do it just for the excess warranty revenue. If that's the case, it's a shame.

Well the passenger side one is fine, but the drivers side has about a 1/4" of slop and it rattles, shakes, vibrates, etc. It also closes slower, so I am assuming it will die altogether soon. So that was why I put it on my laundry list of things to have fixed.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:52 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMTECH is an unknown quantity at this point

Correct, we are fast at changing them. I have had several customers come in for inspections and found their mirrors do not fold in. Phoned the customers and they had no idea as they never use that feature. So I have changed them out to the new updated mirrors if they wanted me to, so I guess thats my bad for helping my customers identify A known problem that they may have not found out about until after warranty? Never seen the new mirrors fail they work great, zero water intrusion. I will change them out in less than 1/2 hr both sides but warranty time is 0.9 per side, I charge customer time off warranty at 0.6hr per side I think that is pretty fair seeing the losses I do take on many jobs. Flat rate mechanics beleive it or not work for free on vehicles more than one would expect. The best tech you could find is the one who takes hourly hits once in A while, thats the guy(or girl) who would rather take his time and lose A little but have A happy customer. Just my opinion.FYI I take time loss weekly in order to try to talk with customers about their concerns, every time your dealer mechanic takes the time to talk to you about your truck he is working for free but I personnally feel it's well worth it just gettin to know y'all.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:49 PM
Hummer Authority

ree is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMTECH
Correct, we are fast at changing them. I have had several customers come in for inspections and found their mirrors do not fold in. Phoned the customers and they had no idea as they never use that feature. So I have changed them out to the new updated mirrors if they wanted me to, so I guess thats my bad for helping my customers identify A known problem that they may have not found out about until after warranty?
No. That's not bad.

But, mine worked fine when I took it in. I knew the feature, used it, and it functioned correctly. They never asked. They just did the work. I was told after the fact...the service writer insisted they weren't working. Also, they were replaced by the old mirrors (i.e. the non-2006 chromed ones). So unless there was an improvement to the mirrors pre-2006, I had a worthless repair. Why???? Hence my speculation about some shops getting easy money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMTECH
Never seen the new mirrors fail they work great, zero water intrusion. I will change them out in less than 1/2 hr both sides but warranty time is 0.9 per side, I charge customer time off warranty at 0.6hr per side I think that is pretty fair seeing the losses I do take on many jobs. Flat rate mechanics beleive it or not work for free on vehicles more than one would expect. The best tech you could find is the one who takes hourly hits once in A while, thats the guy(or girl) who would rather take his time and lose A little but have A happy customer. Just my opinion.FYI I take time loss weekly in order to try to talk with customers about their concerns, every time your dealer mechanic takes the time to talk to you about your truck he is working for free but I personnally feel it's well worth it just gettin to know y'all.
Can you be my tech?

Last edited by ree : 05-18-2006 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:12 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Humtech, I really like your attitude toward your clients. We're lucky that our guys have the same attitude. I pop in every now-and-then just to say "Hi" and let them know they'll be seeing the truck soon. I also invite the Sales Mgr, salesman, and my writer to play cards every now and then. We have a great relationship.

Hall HUMMER Rocks!!!
Old 05-19-2006, 11:17 AM
Hummer Expert

drmiles is off the scale

Now I know why by service writer keeps asking if mine work. I hope they quit so I can get the new 06 mirrors
Old 05-19-2006, 03:03 PM
Hummer Veteran

Frank2005 is off the scale

My dealer has a mobile service. They came to my office parking lot and replaced both mirrors in about 45 minutes. They also replaced my power steering pump in the lot. Ramp Hummer has treated me well!
Old 05-27-2006, 02:47 AM
Hummer Authority

Easy Ed is an unknown quantity at this point

Edit: Old site link to fix mirror

http://elcova.com/groupee/forums/a/t...1/m/7611046851

Will try to duplicate here for the day the old site is taken down.

Panel Removal.....
001a Remove Phillips head screw and cover.
002a Remove two bolts behind cover that was just removed.
003a Remove button panel. There are four "hooked shaped" areas on the panel, two on each side that need to be "unhooked" from the door panel. I used a putty knife and a rag to protect door panel. The other panel above this one stays in place.
004a Panel out, time to remove connectors, take your time and you'll figure out how to remove them.
005a Remove door panel, I started near the bottom corners and worked my way up, didn't break a one :-) You have to disconnect the door panel light connector wire and then set the panel off to the side.
006a What it looks like with panel off. You will want to start pulling the upper right side insulation loose to get to the mirror bolts, I left the window up.
007a Pulling back the insulation and getting to see the bolts.
008a Fun part, getting nuts loose without dropping them, not really that hard to do.
009a Remove mirror and start taking it apart like I did in the first picture of this post. I will not promise that all non folding mirrors will be because of the problem that I had with mine.

Mirror fix....
001 Time to see if I can screw up something up.
002 Removing motor housing and other parts that fold the mirror.
003 Ah, I really don't think that is suppose to be in there.
004 Not looking to good here.
005 Motor would not turn so I figured I'd try some Liquid Wrench, what did I have to lose at this point.
006 Those are magnets on either side, they are for the circuit board sensor to "count" revs, I guess.
007 Will it work. Damn, it does
008 Drain hole, "What is it going to hurt" was what I was thinking at the time I did it.
009 IT WORKS :-)
010 Notice all the rust and water in the bottom.
011 Cleaned the mess out hoping that there wasn't any permanent damage to the board.

Last edited by Easy Ed : 01-27-2021 at 03:02 AM.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:09 AM
Hummer Novice

HumItaly is on a distinguished road

Hi an all,

where I can order the "mabuchi" dc motor?
(i will not change the complete mirror)

ps. sorry for my english
Old 03-19-2008, 06:03 AM
Hummer Expert

Tex_h2 is on a distinguished road

Well, it finally happen tonight as I was backing into the garage. Driver side mirror would fold, its been a bit slow for awhile but still worked just fine. I had to hand crank it in and out. (won't clear the side with them out)

So, after reading and reading I guess I need to first see if I can fix them, or just replace......DAMN!
Old 03-20-2008, 11:03 PM
Hummer Veteran

Tornadough is on a distinguished road

My mirrors have never folded. What's the button people talk about here?
I have extended warranty and would love mine to do this.

Would love the 07 mirrors even more.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:48 AM
Hummer Authority

Be sure the one is in the center position that is above the one squared out in the pic. The squared out one is the adjustment for folding the mirrors. Good Luck, Easy Ed

Last edited by Easy Ed : 01-27-2021 at 03:01 AM.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:18 PM
Hummer Veteran

Tornadough is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Ed
Be sure the one is in the center position that is above the one squared out in the pic. The squared out one is the adjustment for folding the mirrors. Good Luck, Easy Ed

Thanks! My driver side mover folds in, the passenger does not.
I'll have to ask about this next time I'm at the dealer.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:01 AM
Hummer Veteran

Dan D 2 is on a distinguished road

Easy Ed,

Awesome instructions...spot on. Mine were not working. I bought a set from DEWAXMAN and installed them per your instructions. Thank you for posting that.

Now I'll take my old ones apart and see if I can fix them as a spare.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:51 PM
Elcova Newbie

joeventura is on a distinguished road

I just bought a 2003 H2 with 65k miles on it and my motors were almost as rusty as yours.

Soaked the motors in WD40 for a day, cleaned everything up per the instructions, all is well now.

Took about 4 hours (not counting soak time)

Thanks!!

Old 01-23-2011, 08:46 PM
Hummer Authority

Congrats. I had to do mine again but they are still working at 86,000 or so miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeventura
I just bought a 2003 H2 with 65k miles on it and my motors were almost as rusty as yours.

Soaked the motors in WD40 for a day, cleaned everything up per the instructions, all is well now.

Thanks!!

Old 10-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Hummer Veteran

VegasGuy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeventura

Thanks!!

I'm in the process of fixing mine right now. Easy Ed's pictorial made the process very easy and without experiencing the usual feeling of, "what the heck am I going to break while trying to fix something else?" Thank you Easy Ed!

I squirted a bunch of Liquid Wrench in mine and the motor still will not turn after an hour or so. But it is good to know others have soaked their motors a long time without damaging the insulated windings.

To be continued . . . wish me luck.

Last edited by VegasGuy : 10-11-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:12 PM
Hummer Authority

Hoping for the best VegasGuy

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGuy
I'm in the process of fixing mine right now. Easy Ed's pictorial made the process very easy and without experiencing the usual feeling of, "what the heck am I going to break while trying to fix something else?" Thank you Easy Ed!

I squirted a bunch of Liquid Wrench in mine and the motor still will not turn after an hour or so. But it is good to know others have soaked their motors a long time without damaging the insulated windings.

To be continued . . . wish me luck.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:25 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Ed
Hoping for the best VegasGuy

Ed

Thanks, Ed. I would not have attempted this project without your instructions.

After 8 hours of squirting Liquid Wrench and then switching to WD-40 I finally got the motor to break free. I tested it with a 9-volt battery and it worked like a charm.

The only question I have is regarding the two fly-speck magnets. I removed them for safe keeping while working on the motor. Did you pay attention to the magnetic polarity when you put them back into their little holes? (I did.) I hope the magnets are strong enough on their own to keep them from flying out of the holes when the motor spins up. If they fly out, I will never find them again if they go into the gear box.

Last edited by VegasGuy : 10-12-2011 at 04:54 AM.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:15 PM
Hummer Veteran

I put the mirror back on the door this morning. Works like new!
Easy Ed, thank you!