H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 01-03-2004, 02:07 AM
Hummer Guru

Klaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Installing the 2004 GM DVD Navigation System in a 2003 Hummer H2

Parts:

DVD Navigation Radio: 15204335 $1730.00
GPS Antenna: 15207447 $ 54.30
DVD Navigation Disc: 15105609 $ 220.13

TOTAL $2004.43

Summary:

Notice – I do not yet have a DVD Navigation Disc, so I cannot verify that the Navigation function is operational.

I installed a new unit purchased directly from a GM dealer. Other than needing to modify the GPS antenna bracket to mount it under the dash pad, this was a plug and play swap. No dealer programming was necessary!

Details

The connectors on the 6 CD changer radio are exactly the same as the NAV unit. The NAV unit has an additional plug for the GPS antenna that mounts in the dash.

Finding a dealer that could sell me the NAV unit was a real struggle. Every dealer that I called tried to enter the part number in their computer, and came up empty – Meaning that they could not order the part. Then I called a local GMC dealer. He also could not order the unit. However – He went one step further for me. He entered the part number in his national parts locator, a system dealers use to find where parts are in stock at other dealerships. A Cadillac dealer in California had 5 in stock.

I immediately called the dealership, Cadillac of Menlo Park, (650) 688-1543, and talked to Mike in parts. He said that they regularly swapped out the units in Escalades. All 5 units he had in stock were sold, so I had him order me a unit.

He called me when the unit shipped, and stated he ordered 12 more units. I don’t know how this dealership can get these units when no one else can – But they can get them.

I ordered the GPS antenna, and later the Disc from GMPartsDirect.com. I should have the Disc in the next few days.

The radio, CD player, OnStar, rear seat controls, and steering wheel controls all work perfectly. As I stated above, I cannot test the NAV function until my DVD disc arrives. However, I have no reason to believe there will be any problems.

I have taken 90 digital photos during my install, and will work on a write-up.

Klaus

"God made some men big and some men small, but Sam Colt made them all equal."
Old 01-03-2004, 02:07 AM
Hummer Guru

Installing the 2004 GM DVD Navigation System in a 2003 Hummer H2

Parts:

DVD Navigation Radio: 15204335 $1730.00
GPS Antenna: 15207447 $ 54.30
DVD Navigation Disc: 15105609 $ 220.13

TOTAL $2004.43

Summary:

Notice – I do not yet have a DVD Navigation Disc, so I cannot verify that the Navigation function is operational.

I installed a new unit purchased directly from a GM dealer. Other than needing to modify the GPS antenna bracket to mount it under the dash pad, this was a plug and play swap. No dealer programming was necessary!

Details

The connectors on the 6 CD changer radio are exactly the same as the NAV unit. The NAV unit has an additional plug for the GPS antenna that mounts in the dash.

Finding a dealer that could sell me the NAV unit was a real struggle. Every dealer that I called tried to enter the part number in their computer, and came up empty – Meaning that they could not order the part. Then I called a local GMC dealer. He also could not order the unit. However – He went one step further for me. He entered the part number in his national parts locator, a system dealers use to find where parts are in stock at other dealerships. A Cadillac dealer in California had 5 in stock.

I immediately called the dealership, Cadillac of Menlo Park, (650) 688-1543, and talked to Mike in parts. He said that they regularly swapped out the units in Escalades. All 5 units he had in stock were sold, so I had him order me a unit.

He called me when the unit shipped, and stated he ordered 12 more units. I don’t know how this dealership can get these units when no one else can – But they can get them.

I ordered the GPS antenna, and later the Disc from GMPartsDirect.com. I should have the Disc in the next few days.

The radio, CD player, OnStar, rear seat controls, and steering wheel controls all work perfectly. As I stated above, I cannot test the NAV function until my DVD disc arrives. However, I have no reason to believe there will be any problems.

I have taken 90 digital photos during my install, and will work on a write-up.

Klaus

Old 01-03-2004, 02:24 AM

Detonate is off the scale

HOLY ****! Sticky this thread!

------------------------------
2003 Red H2 equipped with Tough Country Heavy Duty Armor Series Front End with Winch, Rear Bumper, Brush Guard, and Roof Rack.
Old 01-03-2004, 02:35 AM
Hummer Guru

frank6150 is an unknown quantity at this point

You are my savior! I was going to go with the Rosen setup but then I would have needed to purchase the navigation seperately which would be much more expensive than 2 grand total.

I can't wait till you get that disc!!

S&B Member since '03
Old 01-03-2004, 02:58 AM
Hummer Guru

Frank,

Keep in mind this unit has the same limitations as the 2004 H2s have:

This unit will NOT play DVD movies.

There is only one slot. You must have the navigation disc in the unit to use the navigation function. Therefore, unless you go with a third party adapter, you cannot play a CD while using the navigation function.

So I would say that this is not a replacement for the Rosen unit.

Klaus

Old 01-03-2004, 01:31 PM
Hummer Guru

Thanks Phil. I have to admit - It was a very expensive experiment, considering how GM, Hummer, and Delphi said it couldn't be done!

Fortunately, I'm a rebel that doesn't like to be told something cannot be done.

Klaus

Old 01-03-2004, 03:52 PM
Hummer Veteran

prplprowlr is off the scale

Is that the part number listed after the items? Also do those guys take Credit Cards? I want to do this and I think it would be a great mod to do. How long did it take to get the unit from these guys in CA?
Old 01-03-2004, 04:02 PM
Hummer Guru

Yes, those are the part numbers and the prices. The antenna and the disc prices are from GMPartsDirect. The Cadillac dealer was more expensive for those items.

Yes, you can use a credit card to buy the unit. I did, and it took about a week to get it.

Keep in mind that GM does not want dealers to be able to sell these units, so the supply could dry up if GM is listening.

One other thing - I paid full price for my unit. I have no connection with the dealer. I am giving out this dealers name and number because this was the ONLY place I could find the unit. FYI - A used, locked unit out of a wrecked truck recently sold on ebay for $1550! That will give you an idea of how hard these units are to come by.

I should also mention that once you power up a new unit, it becomes "locked" to your VIN. If it is installed in a different vehicle, it will display "Theftlock Activated" on the screen. A dealer can unlock the unit with a Tech 2 tool, but it will cost you an hour of labor time.

Klaus

Old 01-03-2004, 04:44 PM

FrgMstr is off the scale

Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is the "Rosen unit"? I did a search but came up empty handed. Thanks!

My job: http://www.HardOCP.com
Old 01-03-2004, 04:52 PM
Hummer Guru

Rosen:

http://elcova.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=6706011751&m=834607700 5&r=6036073305#6036073305

http://elcova.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=6706011751&m=113603617 1&r=2326016271#2326016271

Klaus

Old 01-03-2004, 04:55 PM

FrgMstr is off the scale

Thanks Klaus!

(Just a note to all those folks that put on these huge sig lines with every product they ever bought, every post you makes turns up in a search for that product rendering the search useless sometimes unless you know exactly what you are looking for. )

My job: http://www.HardOCP.com
Old 01-03-2004, 05:53 PM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

Son of a, Son of a, Son of a......

" S & B Member Since 2003 "

My Video Collectionez

Old 01-05-2004, 12:57 PM

Detonate is off the scale

When are you expecting to get your Nav DVD?

I want to hold off on going this route untill I'm 100% sure it works.

------------------------------
North Texas Hummer Team Member

2003 Red H2 equipped with Tough Country Heavy Duty Armor Series Front End with Winch, Rear Bumper, Brush Guard, and Roof Rack.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:18 PM
Hummer Guru

Jim,

I ordered it from GMPartsDirect on Dec 30. I should get it some time this week.

Klaus

Old 01-05-2004, 01:36 PM
Hummer Veteran

Bevo is off the scale

Klaus,

I thought I remembered reading in a previous post that ths unit would play a DVD movie, but only with the vehicle in park. Can you test it to see if it works? Any help would be appreciated.
Yellow 03 Adventure w/black Grill, UM8 Touch Screen Navigation Radio, U2K XM Digital Radio, Remote 6-CD Changer, JBA Titanium Headers, Corsa Off-Road Sport, Airaid Filter & MIT, Nology Wires & Plugs, S&P Pro-Flash, Warn 9.5ti w/X-Line, Toyo Open Country M/T 37x13.5.
Old 01-05-2004, 02:07 PM
Hummer Guru

Bevo,

I just tried a DVD movie to be sure. It will NOT play DVD movies. It gives an error about not being able to read the data on the map DVD.

Sorry, but I didn't think GM's lawyers would allow a movie to be displayed where the driver could see it.

Klaus

Old 01-05-2004, 04:59 PM
Hummer Veteran

Bevo is off the scale

Klaus,
Thanks!
Yellow 03 Adventure w/black Grill, UM8 Touch Screen Navigation Radio, U2K XM Digital Radio, Remote 6-CD Changer, JBA Titanium Headers, Corsa Off-Road Sport, Airaid Filter & MIT, Nology Wires & Plugs, S&P Pro-Flash, Warn 9.5ti w/X-Line, Toyo Open Country M/T 37x13.5.