H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 07-10-2005, 02:25 AM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

OLD NEWS:
So after my last trip to Moab, I was driving over Vail pass to come home and the SUT bogged down and killed over and over. Push on the gas it was worse. Pulled the battery cables and re-tried and problem solved. Dealer said it was some kind of O2 sensor issues. Also had some fuel canister changed out. No more issue since than and dealer could never duplicate. OnStar did fn\ind issues when diognostic ceck was done.
NEW NEWS:
So I went to run McCalisters Gulch today. So I packed up the wife and dogs and off we went. YIPPEEEE!
Get to the trail head and start to make my way up some steep sections and having a blast. Get up to the Summit (1/3 way into the trail) and have lunch... just before is starts to rain.
So we continue on to see this new trail that we have NEVER been on before. Just geting to the highest elevation and the truck starts sputtering. ****!!! DAMN!!!! F&%$! Truck dies. Re-start and it does this for a couple more times. Than up and over the top of the summitt and start my decent down the other side. HMMMMM. No more sputtering. Odd? Stopped raining too. OK, not too bad, can't turn around even if I wanted to. SO we keep on goiong until it starts raining like a beotch.... and we found out we missed our turn. DAMN IT! So I go to turn the truck around. Keep in mind at this point I'm somewhere between Bumblefu&* and you got a pretty mouth. the SOB dies again and does this about 9 times. So I get turned around and head back and run into this really nice guy running a D90. LOVE thse rigs BTW. He showed us the way out and made sure we made it back to Denver. Thanks dude!
So now my SUT is in the driveway (all washed up already) but scratched to piss. (Kind of looks like Adam's truck now. JK).

Now I have to drive this thing back down to the dealer again. So pissed at this point. OnStar said their are no issues coming up on their diognostics either. So I'm guessing the dealer won't figure this out either.

Thoughts? Other than me going on and on?
Old 07-10-2005, 02:25 AM
Hummer Guru

OLD NEWS:
So after my last trip to Moab, I was driving over Vail pass to come home and the SUT bogged down and killed over and over. Push on the gas it was worse. Pulled the battery cables and re-tried and problem solved. Dealer said it was some kind of O2 sensor issues. Also had some fuel canister changed out. No more issue since than and dealer could never duplicate. OnStar did fn\ind issues when diognostic ceck was done.
NEW NEWS:
So I went to run McCalisters Gulch today. So I packed up the wife and dogs and off we went. YIPPEEEE!
Get to the trail head and start to make my way up some steep sections and having a blast. Get up to the Summit (1/3 way into the trail) and have lunch... just before is starts to rain.
So we continue on to see this new trail that we have NEVER been on before. Just geting to the highest elevation and the truck starts sputtering. ****!!! DAMN!!!! F&%$! Truck dies. Re-start and it does this for a couple more times. Than up and over the top of the summitt and start my decent down the other side. HMMMMM. No more sputtering. Odd? Stopped raining too. OK, not too bad, can't turn around even if I wanted to. SO we keep on goiong until it starts raining like a beotch.... and we found out we missed our turn. DAMN IT! So I go to turn the truck around. Keep in mind at this point I'm somewhere between Bumblefu&* and you got a pretty mouth. the SOB dies again and does this about 9 times. So I get turned around and head back and run into this really nice guy running a D90. LOVE thse rigs BTW. He showed us the way out and made sure we made it back to Denver. Thanks dude!
So now my SUT is in the driveway (all washed up already) but scratched to piss. (Kind of looks like Adam's truck now. JK).

Now I have to drive this thing back down to the dealer again. So pissed at this point. OnStar said their are no issues coming up on their diognostics either. So I'm guessing the dealer won't figure this out either.

Thoughts? Other than me going on and on?
Old 07-10-2005, 05:05 AM

Spenser is off the scale

Stupid question perhaps, but could you have gotten some bad fuel? Onstar says nothing wrong, thus it would seem it could be a fuel problem of some sort. I had a problem with my computer at high altitudes, but there was a code. Either way, good luck, and I hope it's all that simple.

Spenser
2005 Stealth Gray SUV
Old 07-10-2005, 01:44 PM
Hummer Expert

GeorgeSSSS is off the scale

Spenser:

I'll be taking my 05 H2 hunting at 9,000 ft in the snow in October. Please tell me more about the computer problem you had at altitude and the computer code.

Thanks,

George SSSS
Black 2005 Adventure Series; factory touch screen GPS w/XM radio; factory express open/close sunroof; reclining second row seats; Warn 9.5ti Multi-Mount Winch; Gobi Stealth roof rack with PIAA lights; HotShot windshield washer fluid system
Old 07-10-2005, 02:25 PM

LasVegas is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timgco:
Thoughts? Other than me going on and on? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Call the dealer and see if they still have your old rig, then trade them out of it. Seriously, sorry to hear you're having the problem, again. The only thing that can make an engine just quite running is either fuel or ignition. Of course we have many sensors onboard that determines that these days. Weren't you at altitude and wet the first time it happened? And, it's strange it didn't store a code. Is it still doing it now? If not, the dealers really going to have a problem determining the problem without a code. Hope they find the problem for you and keep us updated.
Old 07-10-2005, 04:30 PM
Hummer Guru

So, everything buffed out today.. except three scratches that can be noticed only by me I'm sure.

Jonahs, the only time it has happened was at high altitude. not sure what Vail pass is at, but it's up there and that's also where I went off off roading too. So it has somethting to do with the high altitude. BTW, that's where it did it last time too.

I doubt this has anything to do with bad gas as it's still on the same tank and it has doesn't it since I came off of Vail pass. It only acted up when it was around 11,000ft (just a guess). But at one point I was above timberline and the other I was just below. ???
Old 07-10-2005, 05:21 PM

Spenser is off the scale

I had a problem at 4500 ft with a Buick. It would sputter and developed a dead miss, much like a fouled plug. Turned around and limped it back to Phoenix, and to the dealer where they kept it overnight. The dealer replaced the plugs, and one plug wire, and it ran fine, until we headed out again and hit 4500 ft. Then same result. At the end, they realized it was the computer that was the real problem and at that altitude, so they changed it out and all was fine from then on. Maybe?????????

Spenser
2005 Stealth Grey SUV
Old 07-10-2005, 05:54 PM
Hummer Expert

Guys:

I'm going to start a new thread with a title that talks about altitude effects to see what the general experience has been. The current title won't attract members with high altitude problems. That way, I won't necessarily hijack this thread to a direction that isn't helpful to timgo.

Best regards,

George
Black 2005 Adventure Series; factory touch screen GPS w/XM radio; factory express open/close sunroof; reclining second row seats; Warn 9.5ti Multi-Mount Winch; Gobi Stealth roof rack with PIAA lights; HotShot windshield washer fluid system
Old 07-10-2005, 06:22 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timgco:

Jonahs, the only time it has happened was at high altitude. not sure what Vail pass is at, but it's up there and that's also where I went off off roading too. So it has somethting to do with the high altitude. BTW, that's where it did it last time too.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>Then it sure sounds like altitude related. That may be real tough to track down but they sure need to do it for you. It's like you can't take your rig anywhere and rely on it.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:11 PM
Hummer Professional

LoLo is off the scale

Ok, don't crucify me for this... just my take on things -- obviously I am no techno genius!

If it only happens when you are going uphill (I believe that is what I read), and not down, could it be something as simple as the fuel level or a faulty fuel pump?

Just a thought...

05 Desert Sand H2 Adv
Old 07-10-2005, 07:32 PM
Hummer Expert

NoMoGMPG is an unknown quantity at this point

A few things come to mind:

Faulty pressure sensor in the fuel pump module.

Faulty fuel cap.

Barometric sensor.

Something to do with the fuel return line being pinched or clogged.

Some things to consider.
1999 AMGeneral H1 6.5TD BLACK Wagon e-Lockers Front and Back, Rubberduck4x4 RockTubes, Extended Undercarriage Protection,"Big Duck" 2" body lift/2 1/2" suspension lift, 41" IROK Radials on 17" Cepeks w/Rock Rims, (in process)Centered front diff, 3.08 gears, 12k Brakes and 12k halfshafts
Old 07-10-2005, 10:57 PM
Hummer Guru

Ok, I just went out and plugged in my Hypertech Programmer and it pulled a code P0300. Misfire detected. ??? I'm sure the dealer will have no luck in duplicating this sice we are only at a mile high. And I really don't want them driving this thing way up there. So I guess I'l find out on Monday or Tuesday.

Georege, I'll let you know what happens. Also, There are 5 or 6 of us here in CO that go up to the mountains all the time and have no issues. I had no issues with the 03... except the arirbags going out in the 03. Other than that, I'm not awarer of any altitude issues with any other CO owners.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:12 PM

Ok, I just went out and plugged in my Hypertech Programmer and it pulled a code P0300. Misfire detected. ??? I'm sure the dealer will have no luck in duplicating this sice we are only at a mile high. And I really don't want them driving this thing way up there. So I guess I'l find out on Monday or Tuesday.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The P0300 code is engine misfire detected. Since each cylinder has its own ignition coil the only central component would be the PCM module. I'd have them start there by replacing the PCM. At higher altitude the pressure is less and possibly a connection is breaking down.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:26 AM

4churchill is off the scale

I had a misfire problem with my #8 and #1 cylinders, they replaced a few things and now its fine. No altitude involved with my problem. I'm not sure what they replaced as I'm about a technologically inclined as a monkey with its hands cut off

www.HUMMERNut.net
Old 07-11-2005, 09:44 AM
Hummer Expert

drmiles is off the scale

I had a loose spark plug wire after header installation. Intermittent as the wire connected some times and didn't some times.
Misfire detected.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:30 AM
Hummer Professional

Hummertech is off the scale

There could be an updated computer calibration to correct high altitude driveability concerns. But if you want my opinion, I think your problem may be a fuel pump. Sometimes they have to be run for a long time before they start to act up, then when they get towed to the shop, they don't act up. Also, the fuel pump is one of only a few things that will act up and not set any codes.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:47 AM
Hummer Guru

SO, they went straight for the fuel pump and lines. Checking snesors after that I hope. I'll find out more in the AM.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:15 AM
Hummer Expert

Please keep us posted. It affects most of us and the others, well -- -- enquiring minds want to know.

Good Luck,

George SSSS
Old 07-14-2005, 02:56 AM
Hummer Guru

Well, I got it back today. They told me that the full size Chevy vans have the same issue and the FUEL PUMP has been the issue.

So sice they could not duplicate, that's what they went with. They changed out the fuel pump and said it should be fine. I'll find out Friday at let you all know.

If not, it will be strike TWO... provided i make it off the mountain.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:52 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Now this high altitude stuff starting to scare me. A drive from here, about 10' above MLLW at the garage, to there, WAY HIGH, is going to cause problems. Maybe I shouldn't go to MOAB... Whatever...