H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 12-28-2009, 06:00 PM
Hummer Expert

Hellz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Anyone interested in a REAL HD brushguard?

not being a dick, but both look pretty similiar to me.

ya its obvious one made with heavier tubing, but other than that there is just a minor design difference.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:10 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by splne1
Im so glad I went with Rubber Duck because can you guys believe they want $2050 for this other POS from real wheels!!!

http://www.trailduty.com/product_inf...roducts_id=220

It's actaully a nice guard. I had one of thier guards, bumper a tree while wheeling and than ran it through the winter/ no rust. They are all Stainless, which is why they are more expensive. ...and they are pretty light weight too.

IMO, with the way this new "tree guard" is designed, the first time you bump one of the corners or square up to something, it's going to "twist" without any other support. I think your hood will be more prone to getting smacked by the guard. I can tell from teh pics that it is more stout thatn the mount on teh SMA guard, but it still looks like teh guard will allow it to twist. How much does the upper portion of it way?

It's too bad travis didn;t come up with a way to support trhough the hood panel with a cross brace under the hood. Than it would have been a TREE GUARD, shpping cart smasher.

I thought that was the original plan on this design?
Old 12-28-2009, 07:28 PM
Hummer Expert

HumminNBoatin' is on a distinguished road

Hey guys sorry I have been away for the holidays and have not responded. In regards to how a RealWheels might compair to the Treehugger take a look at this email I got from Travis.

Eric,
You may want to wait to post these pictures till after I have something built but I had Scotti send me some pictures of his Real Wheels BG after some "light" off-roading.
I saw that some guys were talking on the Elcova that they felt that the Real Wheels BG was worth the $$ because it is stainless steel.
After viewing the pics below and seeing the BG in person, It's obvious that not only is the mounting system junk but the SS tubing is made from 1/8" (possibly thinner)

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/...4805:408026207

Travis DePew
www.RubberDuck4x4.com
"Don't go in without protection"
(513) 617-0913

Pictures speek 1000 words dont they??
Old 12-28-2009, 11:22 PM
Hummer Expert

splne1 is on a distinguished road

Took the words out of my mouth. I forgot to mention that that real wheels tubing diameter is way thinner than Rubber Ducks!! For $2050 you might as well throw in the other 600 and get a roadarmor if you plan on killing cows!! I'm satisfied on the cost of the Rubber duck and the overall build. I know I can't do things now with the predator guard I have!! The minute I got it out of the box it was way to light and I knew that it was only for looks!!! As long as it is an improvement over the current guard I have I am in a win situation with the rubber duck !!
Old 12-29-2009, 12:55 AM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumminNBoatin'
Hey guys sorry I have been away for the holidays and have not responded. In regards to how a RealWheels might compair to the Treehugger take a look at this email I got from Travis.

Eric,
You may want to wait to post these pictures till after I have something built but I had Scotti send me some pictures of his Real Wheels BG after some "light" off-roading.
I saw that some guys were talking on the Elcova that they felt that the Real Wheels BG was worth the $$ because it is stainless steel.
After viewing the pics below and seeing the BG in person, It's obvious that not only is the mounting system junk but the SS tubing is made from 1/8" (possibly thinner)

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/...4805:408026207

Travis DePew
www.RubberDuck4x4.com
"Don't go in without protection"
(513) 617-0913

Pictures speek 1000 words dont they??

WTH did he hit? and how hard? Whatever he hit, it was hard enough to crack his grille too, so I doubt that whatever he had wouldn't have protected the grille/ hood. So no, 1000 words don;t speak for this photo. It almost looks like he smacked it with a hammer.

When I hit mine, it was more of a scrape, but no denting at all.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:37 AM
Hummer Expert

It tore the grill up because its mounted to the hood hinging. The hood hinging is not a good structural support. Scotty was mowing down 2 and 3" diameter saplings.

The RW guard is a nice show piece. But thats about the extent of it. In fact this is not the only RW brushguard I have seen with this damage.

When I get some time I will mow down some serious $hit with it and post vids of it. That should take care of any doubts.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:56 AM
Hummer Expert

I'm with you!! I might have to bust out the camera and smack the guard around when I get to Texas.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:17 AM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckTruck
What will one of these bad boys run ya?

DUCK

$1600
Old 12-31-2009, 08:29 PM
Hummer Novice

Crush'em is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgco
WTH did he hit? and how hard? Whatever he hit, it was hard enough to crack his grille too, so I doubt that whatever he had wouldn't have protected the grille/ hood. So no, 1000 words don;t speak for this photo. It almost looks like he smacked it with a hammer.

When I hit mine, it was more of a scrape, but no denting at all.

Having wheeled with Scotty several times, his brush guard has definately been used more as a push bar than for light brush and mall shopping carts. Last time, in southern Missori I think it was, he used the RW BG to "push" a fallen tree blocking a road. It was too large for us to move by hand. Might have been 8-10 inches or so in diameter, but most of the tree was on the ground. He moved more than the tree. The BG was mashed against the hood/grill/fenders. I backed into position and pushed the tree with the spare tire carrier (under the tire). Moved the tree fine, and no damage. Had his guard been mounted to the frame horns and had some sort of upper mount, it would have worked. We had to spent some time to pull his guard off of his hood. The thin wall SS is definately at blame, but the mounts of the RW guard are also suspect.

My only hold-up with Travis' new guard is it looks like a rushed job. I feel it doesn't complement the front of the H2 like his H1 guard does... But I'm holding judgement until I see the final product on a customers truck.
37"x13.5"x20" Toyo Open Country MT's, 20x10 Method Racing 301's, Fox 2.0 Performance Series Shocks, Truxx Level kit, color matched grill, (Almost) all chrome removed, Removeable U-steps, Factory All weather mats, Gobi flip-up front plate, Factory brush guard
Old 01-04-2010, 06:30 AM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

Have fun with the cracked hood.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:40 AM
Hummer Expert

Eric you got any pics of yours mounted yet??? Travis told me you also got the light tabs added to the front. I am planning on a light bar up top so no tabs for me.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:51 PM
Hummer Expert

Not bad for a rush job lol.

And we took into consideration the worries about not having it pinned onto the hood. While most of its structural support comes from the mount that is hidden behind the plastic valance the the hood offers stability. Also during the build process we found that there is a significant amount of steel in the hood. I was able to sit on top of the guard while it was pinned to the hood and the set up showed no signs of distress.