H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 02-13-2012, 09:01 AM
Hummer Veteran

nasty745 is on a distinguished road
Default leveling kit on H2

I'm about ti install a leveling kit on my H2 sut, whats the max size tire I can go with ? I've heard 35" and I've heard 37" does anyone really know ? Thanks
Old 02-13-2012, 11:35 AM
Hummer Expert

Hellz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: leveling kit on H2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasty745
I'm about ti install a leveling kit on my H2 sut, whats the max size tire I can go with ? I've heard 35" and I've heard 37" does anyone really know ? Thanks

35 inch tires - the H2's come stock with this

37 inch tires- These will fit on a stock h2 with no lift at all. you may have to crank the torsion bars a little, but every truck is different.
I currently run 37's on 20 inch rims. stock suspension, but have some $$ invested in the front end. New hubs, pitman/idler, shocks, tierods, steering dampner, EBC Brakes, EBC Rotors, Cognito upper control arm, MOOG upper and lower ball joints, replaced both CV joints, and had to remove my sidesteps when i first when to the 37's due to them hitting the end of the step while turning.

38 inch tires - you might be able to fit these on a stock H2, but im betting this is where you start needing to have a lift installed

39 inch tires- same as the 38's, but i would guess it becomes more of a requirement than an option. you might be able to fit them, but wont be able to make any turns. prolly can get by with a 2 inch lift

40 inch tires- you will need atleast a 4-6 inch lift. couple of guys here do run 40's, so they will be able to fill in any exact requirements.

my wish list is to move up to 40 inch tires myself, maybe even bigger! would love to pull tires off a military LMTV ( 46 inch ) and slap them on my H2.

be advised, you will be putting $$$ into your front end, and prolly pretty quick after you move up to larger tires.
as stated under the 37 inch tires, i will most likely be replacing my power steering here soon, and maybe more...

Last edited by Hellz : 02-13-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:21 PM
Hummer Authority

guruerror is on a distinguished road

Nice write-up.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:05 PM
Hummer Professional

s_c5519 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruerror
Nice write-up.

Yes very nice, saves a LOT of searching and reading! Almost needs to be a sticky
Old 02-13-2012, 07:18 PM
Hummer Veteran

nasty745 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellz
35 inch tires - the H2's come stock with this

37 inch tires- These will fit on a stock h2 with no lift at all. you may have to crank the torsion bars a little, but every truck is different.
I currently run 37's on 20 inch rims. stock suspension, but have some $$ invested in the front end. New hubs, pitman/idler, shocks, tierods, steering dampner, EBC Brakes, EBC Rotors, Cognito upper control arm, MOOG upper and lower ball joints, replaced both CV joints, and had to remove my sidesteps when i first when to the 37's due to them hitting the end of the step while turning.

38 inch tires - you might be able to fit these on a stock H2, but im betting this is where you start needing to have a lift installed

39 inch tires- same as the 38's, but i would guess it becomes more of a requirement than an option. you might be able to fit them, but wont be able to make any turns. prolly can get by with a 2 inch lift

40 inch tires- you will need atleast a 4-6 inch lift. couple of guys here do run 40's, so they will be able to fill in any exact requirements.

my wish list is to move up to 40 inch tires myself, maybe even bigger! would love to pull tires off a military LMTV ( 46 inch ) and slap them on my H2.

be advised, you will be putting $$$ into your front end, and prolly pretty quick after you move up to larger tires.
as stated under the 37 inch tires, i will most likely be replacing my power steering here soon, and maybe more...

Thanks a lot ! This definitely helps and is much appreciated.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:31 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_c5519
Yes very nice, saves a LOT of searching and reading! Almost needs to be a sticky
Funny that you should mention that...I hit Jason (the admin) up last week about setting up a sub-forum under each section (H1, H2, and H3) for 'Common Problems and Fixes.' I envision it more as a 'reference' section and less of a 'discussion' area; where we post Stickys with solid write-ups about common/recurring problems, their fixes, and associated costs.

I figured this would be a good starting resource for members (particularly the newbies) when troubleshooting, or just as a heads-up on what they might need to be on the look out for. It's not always easy to find what your looking for with the search function unless you know what keywords to use. This would save some of that frustration.

Stuff like Hellz's write-up would be good to have in that section too...'Common Problems, Fixes, and Questions'

I'm still waiting to hear back...hopefully we can get something like that in the works.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:39 PM
Hummer Professional

s_c5519 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruerror
Funny that you should mention that...I hit Jason (the admin) up last week about setting up a sub-forum under each section (H1, H2, and H3) for 'Common Problems and Fixes.' be good to have in that section too...'Common Problems, Fixes, and Questions'

That's a fantastic idea! I did a search for "air ride" the other day and there was 15 pages and like 350 replies to go through... In the end after you read them all and go through all the nonsense, like all of my posts usually are, it really all can be combined in nice small tidy sticky...
Old 02-13-2012, 08:41 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_c5519
That's a fantastic idea! I did a search for "air ride" the other day and there was 15 pages and like 350 replies to go through... In the end after you read them all and go through all the nonsense, like all of my posts usually are, it really all can be combined in nice small tidy sticky...
Well...hopefully he's checking his messages...lol.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:49 AM
Hummer Veteran

MARKCORE is on a distinguished road

So will 38's fit with just a leveling kit?
Old 06-10-2012, 01:25 PM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKCORE
So will 38's fit with just a leveling kit?

you may NOT need a kit... but then again, maybe you WILL need a kit.

install the tires and crank your T bars and let us know.
OR
install a lift and 38 inch tires
4.88 gears *** Cognito UCA & SwayBar Links *** Kryptonite tie rods *** K&N CAI *** 37x12.50xR20 BFG KM2 Mud Terrain's *** 20x10 Black KMC Rockstars *** EBC Slotted Rotors *** N-FAB Sidesteps *** Line-X Grill *** Recon Smoke Cab Lights ***Diablo Predator U7193
Old 06-10-2012, 03:15 PM
Hummer Professional

charles06 is on a distinguished road

There's more to this than simply how big of a lift you have, such as off-set of wheels. I bought my truck with the Fabtech 6" kit already installed. The owner had 37" Toyo's on 22" wheels that rubbed. With about 2" extra lift from torsion keys and spring spacers, I wasn't even close, and that was with 38" Toyo's. I just made sure the new wheels had the correct off-set. I had plenty of space.

And FYI, when I switched to 40's on 22's with the same lift, which is more than 6", I had to trim the fender liners. Not sure if you can fit 40's with anything less than a 6" lift...not comfortably, anyhow.
White 2005 SUT, Lifted 7.5" via Fabtech/custom work, Fabtech Dirt Logic 2.25 shocks, 40x15.5x22 Toyo's, black 22" Fuel wheels, 4.88 gears, Dynatech long tube headers, Magnaflow exhaust, Air-raid intake, Superchips programmer, Edlebrock panhard bar, Cognito UCA's, Kryptonite tie rods, Cognito pitman/idlar arm gussets, Hotchkis swaybars and trailing arms, Amp Research steps, E&G fender flares, PIAA SMR's, smoked roof lights (bulbs removed), black suede headliner, 13" JL's under seat
Old 06-13-2012, 01:36 AM
Hummer Veteran

slippy is on a distinguished road

One thing that isnt mentioned much is there is alot of variation in every truck with the torsion bars. One guys Torsion lift might just even out the factory rake, while another may be lifting 3" inches up front with spacers in the back.

That'll make a big diffrence in what tires fit....along with backspace/offset/ tire width...
Old 06-13-2012, 03:21 AM
Hummer Expert

tyler1bo is on a distinguished road

Roush did 38's at one point in time with just a leveling kit..I have no idea if they rubbed or not though. I know from my truck now, I don't see how in the world I could have shoved 38's under it without the lift.
AMP Research Steps
10" JL Audio sub w/ box and amp
Truxxx Lift 2.5" F-1.5" R
4" Rancho Lift
Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust
K&N Cold Air Intake
Spare Removed
RealWheels Eliminator Kit w/o hooks
Defenderworx hooks
Body matched grille
Ford Raptor 6.2L emblem
GS Creations Plexi-glass tail light and front turn tint
RealWheels Oversized Black Hood Handles
Recon Smoked Cab lights
More...

Old 06-13-2012, 04:24 AM
Hummer Veteran

seventwozero is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1bo
Roush did 38's at one point in time with just a leveling kit..I have no idea if they rubbed or not though. I know from my truck now, I don't see how in the world I could have shoved 38's under it without the lift.

My 37x13.5 Toyo's scrub the sway bar at full lock, that's with a "green" key t-bar level, not a kit like the Truxx. I've seen "aggressive" leveling kits, that are supposed to give you slightly more lift than kits like the Truxx, you may be able to squeeze 38-38.5's with these, it's hard to say. After reading for a while, every person has different problems with their tire and lift combinations, one persons success will cause issues with another.

If I recall correctly, there is/was a member on this very board that had a H2 on 40's, and didn't have an official lift kit (like that of Fabtec/Rancho). I don't remember the name of the guy, the truck was white though and maybe a friend of Humminboatin', although I could be wrong.

edit: HERE is the rig I'm talking about. The owner says he has 'everything Cognito' up front, to which I assume upper control arms and their steering stuff, plus "green" keys. He's running 39.5" IROK's on stock wheels.

Last edited by seventwozero : 06-13-2012 at 04:44 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:37 AM
Hummer Professional

Big.Z.hummin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1bo
Roush's 38s most definitely rubbed and there was only like 20% tread left. my 37's on 17's rub at full crank and thats with the truxxx level kit. seems to be a ride particular kind of thing as stated above. i honestly think 38's with no level would rub like crazy.

73' Dodge Charger. 400 Magnum. B5 Blue. White Leather.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:55 AM
Hummer Veteran

seventwozero is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big.Z.hummin
Roush's 38s most definitely rubbed and there was only like 20% tread left. my 37's on 17's rub at full crank and thats with the truxxx level kit. seems to be a ride particular kind of thing as stated above. i honestly think 38's with no level would rub like crazy.

They are really ONLY 1/2" bigger though, but 2" wider, give or take. I've been looking long and hard at the Goodyear MTR-K that are 38x15.5, I mean.. how bad can it really be?! Maybe with some 4.75 backspaced wheels?

Last edited by seventwozero : 06-13-2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:57 PM
Hummer Professional

wingn69 is on a distinguished road

Im running 37in on my H2 with very little rubbing with no leveling kit, lift kit or cranking the the t-bar but am looking at the Truxx leveling kit my self.
2006 H2 Slate Blue LUX with more chorme, K&N 77 Series Intake, Pirelli Scorpion ATR LT325/55R22, 22in polished chrome rims, Kenwood DNX-7200 w/ Garmin Navi, DVD, Bluetooth, IPOD,Rockford Fosegate Punch 10in P-1 Subs, Rockford Fosegate Punch P-300 amp,7" headrest monitors, Carbon Fiber Dash kit, 17 Flip down Monitor, Borla exhaust.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:14 PM
Hummer Veteran

citiboy is on a distinguished road

i just bought the toyo mt 38x13.5x18 with rockstar rims, installing them this coming thursday....i'll crank the tb 2" and will install 1.5" rear spacer. Hopefully, i'm good to go...i can live with a little rubbing .

Toyo MT 38x13.50x18 on Rockstar. Green keys. 2" rear spacers. 1" bodylift. Cognito UCA, steering bracket, front stab links. Bilstein 5100 shocks & steering stab. Moog inner/outer TR, pitman, idler arm & bracket with remote zerk. E&G Classics fender flares. ARP 434-1301 ex. man. stud kit. Airaid perf. air filter. Crown brake lines. Warn PowerPlant HD. Rubberduck UCP. Gobi Ranger roof rack. DDM Tuning 55W HID Hi/Lo headlights. Hella fogs. Evans waterless coolant.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:41 PM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by citiboy
i just bought the toyo mt 38x13.5x18 with rockstar rims, installing them this coming thursday....i'll crank the tb 2" and will install 1.5" rear spacer. Hopefully, i'm good to go...i can live with a little rubbing .

let me know how this setup works for you.
i wouldnt mind moving up to 38's i just dont want to install a lift kit
4.88 gears *** Cognito UCA & SwayBar Links *** Kryptonite tie rods *** K&N CAI *** 37x12.50xR20 BFG KM2 Mud Terrain's *** 20x10 Black KMC Rockstars *** EBC Slotted Rotors *** N-FAB Sidesteps *** Line-X Grill *** Recon Smoke Cab Lights ***Diablo Predator U7193