H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 07-03-2012, 05:46 PM
Hummer Veteran

VegasMike is on a distinguished road
Default Hummer H2 Radio Install, Keep OnStar, Steering Wheel Controls And Door Chime

So the first thing I did to my new to me H2 was to install my Kenwood Navigation until into the dash. Years ago I used to install car alarms and stereos, and even managed a few car stereo stores in So Cal. Needless to say I have tons of experience at doing this.

I wanted to create this thread to give out some links and so that there is a definitive spot telling web searchers what they need.

This is for a 2005 H2 that has the Bose system. I am installing a Kenwood DNX 6180 double din navigation unit.

So here are the products I used:

The finished install of a Kenwood unit:

Parts you will need:

40-GM10 antenna adapter:

Amazon link (.99$): http://www.amazon.com/Metra-40-GM10-.../dp/B0002BEQN4

99-2003 GM dash kit:

Amazon link ($11.99): http://www.amazon.com/Metra-99-2003-...ywords=99-2003

GM Factory Integration Adapter:

Amazon Link ($87.05): http://www.amazon.com/GMOS-04-OnStar.../dp/B000980HC4

ASWC Steering Wheel Control Interface:

Amazon link ($43.17): http://www.amazon.com/Metra-ASWC-Uni.../dp/B0039H2W66

I listed amazon links which will probably get you the lowest prices, but if you want to purchase the parts local, Best Buy should carry all those parts as well.

Dash disassembly instructions:

http://www.metraonline.com/files/pro...NST99-2003.pdf

Pages 27-29

The GMOS-04 has an integrated plug to interface with the ASWC so no real additional wiring is needed. You plug the ASWC into the GMOS and it works. The ASWC is what will allow you to maintain your steering wheel controls and the GMOS will allow OnStar to still work through the new stereo.

The GMOS-04 also has integrated factory plugs, so you won't need to cut the factory harness to install this stereo.

The #99-2003 dash kit is pretty straight forward, it even allows for the use of the iso-mounting screws on the side of the radio you are installing.

Before you mount everything in the dash, test it all out including the sound level of the door chime, and OnStar. The door chime adjustment is a blue screw on the GMOS box, but the OnStar adjustment is a different process. You have to momentarily ground a wire while OnStar is making noise to set the level. The book for the GMOS explains the process very well.

The whole process took me about 3 hours. The toughest part will be disassembling the dash and the center console. Follow the guide on pages 27-29 of the link I posted and it will be pretty simple.

Also, there is not much room behind the radio in the dash, so you will need to tuck the GMOS and ASWC boxes either to the side, or below the radio.

If you are planning on adding an amp and woofer now, or at a later date, now is the time to at least run the remote turn on wire along with a set of rca's from the radio. I connected them and then ran them along the shift lever and left them coiled up under the center console storage box. So in the future when I go back to add the amp and sub, I only need to remove the storage box to get to the wires I need, instead of the whole dash again.

Any questions, please feel free to ask.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:15 PM

jsbihn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hummer H2 Radio Install, Keep OnStar, Steering Wheel Controls And Door Chime

Wow that sounds great.
And so cheap too for the aux part (everything but the head unit)

I have a amp and sub hooked up to my stock bose system using a pac in line converter.

just wondering if you know any way to wire an adapter in to the stock head unit to allow my android phone to play music through the stereo?
Old 07-04-2012, 12:35 AM
Hummer Veteran

Default Re: Hummer H2 Radio Install, Keep OnStar, Steering Wheel Controls And Door Chime

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbihn
Wow that sounds great.
And so cheap too for the aux part (everything but the head unit)

I have a amp and sub hooked up to my stock bose system using a pac in line converter.

just wondering if you know any way to wire an adapter in to the stock head unit to allow my android phone to play music through the stereo?

Well, because you have an Android phone instead of an iPhone you probably already know that the number of options plummets, they simply make more stuff for the iPhone, especially when it comes to connectors since it has used the same plug for 5 years, and shares the same plug with every other iPod on the market.

But all is not lost! Check this interface out:

http://www.amazon.com/PAC-IS32-Modul.../dp/B004613FCE

It's an FM modulator that will basically take your direct audio signal and broadcast it thru an FM signal into your radio. You would tune to a certain FM frequency, and hear your audio.

Years ago FM modulators sucked, but they have come a long way and work pretty good.

Be aware that because GM decided long ago to use a smaller then standard antenna plug, you'll also need the following $10 worth of parts to make it work:

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-40GM30-F...ref=pd_sim_e_3

I could see this whole kit looking pretty good in a Hummer, instead of using the included mounting plate, mount the plugs in the wall of the center console storage.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:48 AM
Hummer Expert

Hellz is on a distinguished road

like you, i had installed a Pioneer desk in my 03 H2 (and when i say I, i meant i paid someone else to install it)

you mentioned that for the steering controls all you need is the aswc adapter.
i forgot what i have installed, but i do have the onstar and door chimes.
my issue is, every single time i shut my H2 off, my radio will flip through all my presets until i open the door. this is caused from the steering adapter..

is this a common issue with the adapters, or is something fubar(most likely)
4.88 gears *** Cognito UCA & SwayBar Links *** Kryptonite tie rods *** K&N CAI *** 37x12.50xR20 BFG KM2 Mud Terrain's *** 20x10 Black KMC Rockstars *** EBC Slotted Rotors *** N-FAB Sidesteps *** Line-X Grill *** Recon Smoke Cab Lights ***Diablo Predator U7193
Old 07-04-2012, 01:09 AM

Mike,
Thanks for the info.
Do you know if there is one that would plug in.
I have tried many FM modulators only to find that at some point they all suck, so of course nothing beats a good ole fashion hard wire.
If i can hard wire it in, I would like to if you know anything out there

btw, you never mentioned about Vegas
My mother lives in Calico Ridge (Henderson on the Mountains edge)
My sister lives in Paradise (not on Paradise, in...). Basically it is Vegas but they just call it different now. Kinda like they did with Green Valley (which was originally Henderson)
Old 07-04-2012, 01:12 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellz
like you, i had installed a Pioneer desk in my 03 H2 (and when i say I, i meant i paid someone else to install it)

you mentioned that for the steering controls all you need is the aswc adapter.
i forgot what i have installed, but i do have the onstar and door chimes.
my issue is, every single time i shut my H2 off, my radio will flip through all my presets until i open the door. this is caused from the steering adapter..

is this a common issue with the adapters, or is something fubar(most likely)

Sounds like the programming on the steering wheel adapter may have gone haywire. As you know GM vehicles use the exit music feature that allows the radio to play for up to 10 minutes after the key is turned off and removed. The manufacturers of these adapters included that feature. It sounds like that part of the programming may have been corrupted.

The newer models are computer up-dateable, meaning they have a USB connection on them to allow the software on them to be updated. Depending on what is inside your install, it may just need to be reprogrammed or replaced. Either way someone is going to have to take it out and troubleshoot it.

It also may be as simple as just resetting the adapter as well, again though you would need to take the dash apart to get to it. You may want to take it back to the place that originally installed it.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:16 AM
Hummer Expert

thanks for the advice...

and i didnt say it, but great info in this thread.

i did my deck install a few years ago, but wish i had something liek this myself... might have done the install myself
4.88 gears *** Cognito UCA & SwayBar Links *** Kryptonite tie rods *** K&N CAI *** 37x12.50xR20 BFG KM2 Mud Terrain's *** 20x10 Black KMC Rockstars *** EBC Slotted Rotors *** N-FAB Sidesteps *** Line-X Grill *** Recon Smoke Cab Lights ***Diablo Predator U7193
Old 07-04-2012, 04:38 AM
Hummer Veteran

glennf1 is on a distinguished road

Vegasmike... nice write up!
Old 07-04-2012, 07:35 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbihn
Mike,
Thanks for the info.
Do you know if there is one that would plug in.
I have tried many FM modulators only to find that at some point they all suck, so of course nothing beats a good ole fashion hard wire.
If i can hard wire it in, I would like to if you know anything out there

btw, you never mentioned about Vegas
My mother lives in Calico Ridge (Henderson on the Mountains edge)
My sister lives in Paradise (not on Paradise, in...). Basically it is Vegas but they just call it different now. Kinda like they did with Green Valley (which was originally Henderson)

To go hard wire you're going to need an "I" product, either an iPod or iPhone. Subscribe to woot.com, they have daily deals and have iPod touches from time to time at a good discount. In my H2 I have a 160gb iPod classic connected.

I'm on the border of Henderson and Vegas, about a block inside Vegas. The town area is called 'Paradise', so technically I live in Paradise!
Old 07-04-2012, 07:36 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennf1
Vegasmike... nice write up!

Thanks, I'm putting in a back up camera the next couple of days, so I'll be sure to post that info as well.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMike
To go hard wire you're going to need an "I" product, either an iPod or iPhone. Subscribe to woot.com, they have daily deals and have iPod touches from time to time at a good discount. In my H2 I have a 160gb iPod classic connected.

I'm on the border of Henderson and Vegas, about a block inside Vegas. The town area is called 'Paradise', so technically I live in Paradise!

yep, you live around the corner from my sister.
as for the i products. i have an iphone 4 but i didnt like it that why i went android.

well maybe i can do like i did with my tundra and wire in a modulator. basically i it was hard wired into the radio to play at 88.something, and it allowed me to headphone type plug into this and with a flip a switch and a turn of the dial, i was playing music and watching DVDs on my stock stereo
Old 07-04-2012, 06:22 PM
Hummer Professional

Humdingah is an unknown quantity at this point

VegasMike,

Seeing as how you used to install I was wondering if you happened to know what I would need in order to use a Pioneer AVIC deck and keep the steering wheel controls and possibly both XM and OnStar.

I'd also like any advice you could give on subs, replacement speakers, amps and capacitors.

What I'm currently looking at are either two or four JL 10s or 12s with Phoenix Gold amps in a custom enclosure in the back. I haven't figured out which replacement speakers or capacitors to go with although I am leaning toward a Stinger for the capacitor.

Thanks in advance man!

Dan
Old 07-05-2012, 12:22 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdingah
VegasMike,

Seeing as how you used to install I was wondering if you happened to know what I would need in order to use a Pioneer AVIC deck and keep the steering wheel controls and possibly both XM and OnStar.

I'd also like any advice you could give on subs, replacement speakers, amps and capacitors.

What I'm currently looking at are either two or four JL 10s or 12s with Phoenix Gold amps in a custom enclosure in the back. I haven't figured out which replacement speakers or capacitors to go with although I am leaning toward a Stinger for the capacitor.

Thanks in advance man!

Dan

Dan,

That ASWC I listed above will work with your AVIC just fine. The cool thing about that unit is that it works with pretty much every major brand of car stereos that have a steering wheel control input. The programming on the ASWC is a bit confusing, but I got luck and it auto detected my brand of stereo, and that it was a Hummer.

I don't think you will be able to use the factory XM module with your AVIC, there is no way for them to interface with each other. You can however buy an XM module from Pioneer that will plug right into your AVIC. The OnStar will work if you use the GMOS module I listed above as well.

JL certainly is one of the top brands in woofers, you may also want to check out their amps and miss as well if you haven't bought any of the other stuff yet. My guess is you would be fine with a couple of 10"s in the back, and the JL's will need a very small enclosure that will save you some room.

As far as capacitors go, if you're only going to run a couple of 10"s or 12"s, I don't foresee you needing a cap. I would run 4gage amp wire to the amps, then run a distribution block with 8 gage amp wire. The reason I mention aim wire is that it will have more individual strand of wire in it which will cut down the resistance and give you better throughput on the voltage.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:45 AM
Hummer Professional

Humdingah is an unknown quantity at this point

Mike,

Thanks for the suggestions man...I'll take a look at the JL subs. Any preference on the different JL sub lines?

Dan
Old 07-05-2012, 05:01 AM
Hummer Expert

ya forget about the cap.

I would recommend doing the "Big 3" (google is your friend) before even thinking of a cap.
if your current electrical cant fill the cap up fast enough, whats the point of it?

you would benefit yourself more to install a 2nd battery than a cap.

right now i am running a single 10 in a crappy underseat box (prefab). I am thinking of doing some glass work on the back console areas that cover the wheel wells and putting a SA-8 V2 in each side... just need to get the motivation to try my hand at fiberglassing. a shop quoted me $200 each side for them to do it.

i may try building a box that can hold 2 8's and that will fit under the seat as that is more idea to me... but ehh...

i forgot, but isnt there a passthrough port on the front of the OEM deck to hook a cable up to it, and to a MP3 player? connects to the headphone jack on the MP3 player.. for those that are trying to get thier phone to work, this might be a alternate method instead of doign the FM mod. atleast better SQ
Old 07-19-2012, 05:24 PM
Hummer Veteran

Additional edit:

On the GMOS-04 there is a blue adjustment screw that the instructions say is only used for adjusting the door chime volume level.

It actually controls that, and the overall volume output of the radio audio.

To adjust the door chime level, you turn off the vehicle, put the keys in the ignition, and open the driver door. Then turn the screw to achieve the level you want.

To adjust the audio, close all doors, turn on the ignition, and radio, turn the radio up to about 3/4 full volume, and once the radio is playing adjust the level to match what you think should be 3/4 of full volume.

The GMOS I bought didn't mention this in the instructions and when I first installed everything I had to turn my radio up to 30 out of 36 max to get a normal listening level. I came across a different version of the instructions online and saw that you can also adjust the audio level. So I tore open the dash again to do the adjustment, now I listen to it at 18 out of 36 which is more inline of how the radio played in my old truck.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:23 PM
Hummer Authority

guruerror is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMike
Additional edit:

On the GMOS-04 there is a blue adjustment screw that the instructions say is only used for adjusting the door chime volume level.

It actually controls that, and the overall volume output of the radio audio.

To adjust the door chime level, you turn off the vehicle, put the keys in the ignition, and open the driver door. Then turn the screw to achieve the level you want.

To adjust the audio, close all doors, turn on the ignition, and radio, turn the radio up to about 3/4 full volume, and once the radio is playing adjust the level to match what you think should be 3/4 of full volume.

The GMOS I bought didn't mention this in the instructions and when I first installed everything I had to turn my radio up to 30 out of 36 max to get a normal listening level. I came across a different version of the instructions online and saw that you can also adjust the audio level. So I tore open the dash again to do the adjustment, now I listen to it at 18 out of 36 which is more inline of how the radio played in my old truck.
That adjustment screw will also come in handy if you start getting a whining sound in the speakers that follows the engine revs. Lowering the output of the GMOS seems to reduce the whine. In the end you have to strike a balance between overall volume and whether or not you can still hear the whine. Those little suckers drove me crazy...

I eventually said to hell with the door chimes and just got the straight-up non-OnStar GM harness. The output was actually louder (go fig) and I never had to deal with that whine again.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Hummer Veteran

SMITH23H2SUT is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: Hummer H2 Radio Install, Keep OnStar, Steering Wheel Controls And Door Chime

FANTASTIC THREAD!!!!!!!!! One more curveball thrown at me while trying to figure out what's going on with my stock system.........I'll go Aftermarket. Kenwood DNX9990HD.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:56 PM
Hummer Veteran

ricomondo is on a distinguished road

Im curious how that Excelon 99HD wil be as well.
Please keep us posted if you do.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:39 PM
Hummer Veteran

mcioci is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMITH23H2SUT
FANTASTIC THREAD!!!!!!!!! One more curveball thrown at me while trying to figure out what's going on with my stock system.........I'll go Aftermarket. Kenwood DNX9990HD.

Good choice. I put that radio in my truck about 2 months ago. Awesome radio and NAV.