H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 05-17-2004, 08:12 PM
Hummer Expert

drmiles is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drmiles:
Ok I've been following this thread. I want to replace or have extra tie rods with me when I'm on the trail.. Bad place for a flatbed.

However I'm confused. is it better to get http://www.rubberduck4x4.com/
or get http://www.fly-n-hi.com/FST/steering.htm
or whats this about sleeves to go over the tierod??? Maybe I need to pay better attention, but I'm not trading in my H2, have not had a major problem (except for tearing a front axle out of the hub which is another story).
Someone please help me decide the best way to go

Thanks

Jerry <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 05-17-2004, 08:12 PM
Hummer Expert

drmiles is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drmiles:
Ok I've been following this thread. I want to replace or have extra tie rods with me when I'm on the trail.. Bad place for a flatbed.

However I'm confused. is it better to get http://www.rubberduck4x4.com/
or get http://www.fly-n-hi.com/FST/steering.htm
or whats this about sleeves to go over the tierod??? Maybe I need to pay better attention, but I'm not trading in my H2, have not had a major problem (except for tearing a front axle out of the hub which is another story).
Someone please help me decide the best way to go

Thanks

Jerry <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 05-18-2004, 09:12 AM
Hummer Authority

partsguy is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FrgMstr:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by partsguy:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FrgMstr:
I think the simple question is, "What breaks when the tie rod does not, and is it covered under warranty?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>front axle,not covered. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think is a bit more than a couple hundred bucks and not something that you can easily fix on a trail... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>$100.00 to $1,360.00
you pick.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:12 AM
Hummer Authority

partsguy is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by partsguy:
I think the simple question is, "What breaks when the tie rod does not, and is it covered under warranty?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>front axle,not covered. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think is a bit more than a couple hundred bucks and not something that you can easily fix on a trail... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>$100.00 to $1,360.00
you pick.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:45 AM

Detonate is off the scale

I don't think it's Tie Rod then Axle. That doesn't make sense.

The tie-rod is part of a steering component. Why would a lack of effort in the steering component cause an axle to snap?
Old 05-18-2004, 11:45 AM

I don't think it's Tie Rod then Axle. That doesn't make sense.

The tie-rod is part of a steering component. Why would a lack of effort in the steering component cause an axle to snap?
Old 05-18-2004, 12:19 PM

FrgMstr is off the scale

I don't think it is tie rod then axle either, but the point still remains, if something behind the tie rod breaks, it will likely be something much more expensive. I think I am just going to stick a set of replacement tie rods in the bottom of my recovery bag...
Old 05-18-2004, 12:19 PM

FrgMstr is off the scale

I don't think it is tie rod then axle either, but the point still remains, if something behind the tie rod breaks, it will likely be something much more expensive. I think I am just going to stick a set of replacement tie rods in the bottom of my recovery bag...
Old 05-18-2004, 12:47 PM

I don't think it would hurt to beef up the tie rods "some", just not too much. Especially when running 37's.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:47 PM

I don't think it would hurt to beef up the tie rods "some", just not too much. Especially when running 37's.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:25 PM

cinci is off the scale

Det,
You are right. The upstream components from the tie rod are the center link, unlikely to damage that, the idler pitman arms, the next biggest problem, and the steering gear, this could be a problem.

I just came back from the Hummer club event at Kinzalow where I tested Rubber Duck's new HD tie rods. They differ slightly from the pictures that were posted since those were of the first version and these are the second, since I broke the first ones. The part that needed reengineered was the piece that attaches to the center link. It turns out that the threaded part on the one pictured is a week point at the threads. Due to the smaller diameter needed to thread in and the threads were sharp cut this provided a point for a crack to start.

The new version is a two piece solution with a machined piece that slides about an 1.5 inches over the end of the center link with a bolt in the middle to hold it on. It is about 1 inch bigger in diameter than the center link and is threaded on the out side. This allows the second piece, which has the tapered hole for the tie rode to attach to, to thread over the out side. This allows for this piece to expand in size as it approaches the center link rather that be machine down is size where it attaches. This solved the original issue.

I have started another thread with lots of pictures of the trails and links to more Kinzalow thread. There are also pictures of the damage to the under carriage of my truck after the second day while they were replacing the idler and pitman arms as well as the steering gear. Now, the idler and pitman were shot when we arrived and were not worn out due to the tie rods. But after three days of wheeling they needed to be changed.

I don’t think you will break the new tie rods; this is a good thing since they are not fun to change on the trail. However, they will allow you to put more pressure on the idler and pitman arms but they tend to wear out and I haven't seen them break on the trail. But a solution needs to be found.
Green 97.5 H1 Wagon
Old 05-18-2004, 01:25 PM

cinci is off the scale

Det,
You are right. The upstream components from the tie rod are the center link, unlikely to damage that, the idler pitman arms, the next biggest problem, and the steering gear, this could be a problem.

I just came back from the Hummer club event at Kinzalow where I tested Rubber Duck's new HD tie rods. They differ slightly from the pictures that were posted since those were of the first version and these are the second, since I broke the first ones. The part that needed reengineered was the piece that attaches to the center link. It turns out that the threaded part on the one pictured is a week point at the threads. Due to the smaller diameter needed to thread in and the threads were sharp cut this provided a point for a crack to start.

The new version is a two piece solution with a machined piece that slides about an 1.5 inches over the end of the center link with a bolt in the middle to hold it on. It is about 1 inch bigger in diameter than the center link and is threaded on the out side. This allows the second piece, which has the tapered hole for the tie rode to attach to, to thread over the out side. This allows for this piece to expand in size as it approaches the center link rather that be machine down is size where it attaches. This solved the original issue.

I have started another thread with lots of pictures of the trails and links to more Kinzalow thread. There are also pictures of the damage to the under carriage of my truck after the second day while they were replacing the idler and pitman arms as well as the steering gear. Now, the idler and pitman were shot when we arrived and were not worn out due to the tie rods. But after three days of wheeling they needed to be changed.

I don’t think you will break the new tie rods; this is a good thing since they are not fun to change on the trail. However, they will allow you to put more pressure on the idler and pitman arms but they tend to wear out and I haven't seen them break on the trail. But a solution needs to be found.
Green 97.5 H1 Wagon
Old 05-19-2004, 06:22 PM

Bad Dawg is off the scale

ANother thought for you folks...I ran across some more Tie Rod Sleeves. Edelbrock, Competition Engineering and Hotchkiss (sp?) all make sleeves for racing applications for cars and some trucks. Couldn't find anything for the H2 but I would imagine they could be found or made VERY easily. They run anywhere from $36 to around $90 through Summit and Jegs. Seems that they are a common item used on many applications to increase the strength of the tie rods. I found a reference on another website for S10 Blazer ZR2's.
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2004, 06:22 PM

ANother thought for you folks...I ran across some more Tie Rod Sleeves. Edelbrock, Competition Engineering and Hotchkiss (sp?) all make sleeves for racing applications for cars and some trucks. Couldn't find anything for the H2 but I would imagine they could be found or made VERY easily. They run anywhere from $36 to around $90 through Summit and Jegs. Seems that they are a common item used on many applications to increase the strength of the tie rods. I found a reference on another website for S10 Blazer ZR2's.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:23 PM

Another pic...
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2004, 06:23 PM

Another pic...
Old 06-18-2004, 03:05 AM

rickhz is off the scale

Not pretty at all:

How could they put that spindly crap under a truck with the Hummer moniker? The tie rods GM uses to control 35" tires on a Hummer are the same size as the tie rods Ford uses on their Explorers with 29" 235s That either speaks very highly for the Ford Explorer or very poorly for the Hummer.

Has anyone broke a tie rod on a New York City pot hole yet?
Old 06-18-2004, 03:05 AM

rickhz is off the scale

Not pretty at all:

How could they put that spindly crap under a truck with the Hummer moniker? The tie rods GM uses to control 35" tires on a Hummer are the same size as the tie rods Ford uses on their Explorers with 29" 235s That either speaks very highly for the Ford Explorer or very poorly for the Hummer.

Has anyone broke a tie rod on a New York City pot hole yet?
Old 06-18-2004, 09:34 AM
Hummer Guru

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Look, one of your wife's pubies made it into that bottom pic. Nasty...
Old 06-18-2004, 09:34 AM
Hummer Guru

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Look, one of your wife's pubies made it into that bottom pic. Nasty...