H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 07-23-2006, 04:29 PM
Hummer Veteran

KJS is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry "Normal And Acceptable Noise For Metallic Brakes"... please tell me this is BS!

With only 862 miles on it I take the 3 in for service to talk to them about pretty high pitch metalish "tick-tick-tick-ticktick-ticktick-ticktick-tick" noise (that my best way to describe it, a friend called it twittie-bird noise, wtf is that? lol) None the less, I thought since I had the adventure maybe I picked up some little rocks in the wider treads. Check all tires and got whatever little ones I found in them out and took it for a ride. Still did it with no rocks so went into the service appointment. Told the service advisor what it was and made the dumb noise I believe it to sounded like (I bet those guys get a kick out of asking everyone that one,.."can you please make the noise you hear and describe as best can?")

Not even an 30 mins later I get a call saying the tech brought back saying he found a rock in the tire tread, removed it, and no noise now. I immediately tell him its not that at all b/c in the parking before dropping it off I checked each tire and removed any that were there and even drove afterwards. They ask if I can come up then and go for a ride with the tech and point out the noise b/c he does not hear anything. Show up, get in the truck and what a surprise...windows are up, AC is next to full blast, radio channel changed and volume high. So we go for a ride and 5 mins into the drive and its up to temp it starts doing, turn to the tech and say how could you not hear that?...."hear what?"...sticks his head out the window, "don't hear anything"...we play the "hear that,...I cant hear anything" game to the point where I pull over and look right at him and him if he is f'ing with me? So all windows down, roof open, I turn into a little plan where no noise at all. Can hear the noise ticking and squealing away to the point its echoing off the houses and the guy still looks at me and says I don't hear a thing. A few more turns around the streets and me pointing out again of "you have to hear that"...nope cant hear anything....on the way back he says "oh wait, that tick tick tick metalish sound like rubbing"....at this point I'm asking him again are you f'ing with and kidding?

Tech says well if that's the noise you have been talking about that is normal for these trucks, its the compound of the brake pads they use and that is something you will not get rid of, its "Normal And Acceptable Noise For Metallic Brakes" and there is nothing to be done about it!

Now I have met with a number of others around here just haning out as well been around many others in passing and none, not one of them are making this annoying ass noise that mine is all the time! And I honestly don't know if I think it is the brakes b/c it does it all the time even if not braking! Just coasting it does, under acceleration it does it, coasting to a stop, and when actually braking it does it. It sounds like its coming from the front center to front right of the truck from under the hood?

Does not even have 1000 miles on it yet, there is no way I can put up with this noise all the time from here on out! Does the above sounds or details clost to anything familiar to any of you guys? Is the tech for of sh!t? Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated cause nothing has changed!

Last edited by KJS : 07-23-2006 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:33 PM
Hummer Authority

marin8703 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: "Normal And Acceptable Noise For Metallic Brakes"... please tell me this is BS!

the tech probly has no idea what hes talking about. I have never heard this noise in my 3. Ask for a different tech and if still no resolution go higher, ask for a service manager or the dealership manager, if they are also shi* holes call hummer or gm and tell them about the retarded technicians that destroying GMs business by turning away customers with their stupid service technicians.
Complain to everyone that will listen to you!
Good luck, the 3 is an awsome truck, the only thing that ticks most people off is little problems like this which can be easily fixed if the dealers actually have some competent technicians.
Once agains good luck and enjoy the truck!
Old 07-23-2006, 05:41 PM
Hummer Expert

Beastmaster is off the scale
Default Re: "Normal And Acceptable Noise For Metallic Brakes"... please tell me this is BS!

Realistically - yes, it can happen.

Here's the reason:

The brake pads will "float" a bit. The floating action will be in all three dimensions (right/left/up/down/forward/back). This prevents the pad from binding and will prevent brake drag from happening, thereby preventing unncessary wear.

Lazy assemblers will not put enough brake pad squeal prevention backing on the pad, thereby allowing the pad to float up and down to make the click sound. As the rotor turns, the pad (since they *are* new) will also grab the rotor until they break in.

So - you can do the following:

1) Take the pads off yourself and chamfer the leading and trailing edges. Add a boatload of anti-squeal and replace

2) Take it to another dealer - make THEM do step 1.

3) Take it to the same dealer - make THEM do step 1

4) Wait another 500 miles and allow the pads to break in normally.

If you do not see any loss in braking power, you really will be fine. I'm sure F5Fstop will chime in, but there will be some tolerances that are acceptable in new brake pads and new rotors. Yours might just be on the annoying side of the tolerance level...

After 2.5k miles on my wife's H3, all strange noises have either abated or we've tracked them down to their source. It did take that long to get there though..
Old 07-23-2006, 06:12 PM
Hummer Veteran

humma_H3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJS
I bet those guys get a kick out of asking everyone that one,.."can you please make the noise you hear and describe as best can?"

I used to write service at a local Nissan dealership- we would put some people on speaker phone over the whole server department. funny sh!t.

sucks to hear about your problem- best suggestion: get it noted, wait 500 or so miles and recheck. Bringing it back in over and over to the same dealership just makes techs/writers numb to your complaints.

matt
cincy

LOCKERS RULE!! Open Diffs DROOL!!!
2006 Black Hummer H3
Old 07-23-2006, 07:37 PM
Hummer Guru

Hmmm2 is on a distinguished road

Mine does the same thing, except it's a grind sound from the rear right. Can you imagine me trying to describe a grind sound? OMG! I had 12,000 miles on it when it began. They kept it for 11 days, re-surfaced the rotor and put new pads. Twelve days later the same sound came back. I took it back to the dealer service dept. Although they heard it and said, "Yeah, that's a problem sound" .. they checked it and said it's a "normal and acceptable sound for H3's". Twenty four days later (as of today) it's still at the dealer. (BTW, I've never off-roaded in my H3.) I took it up a notch and called GM/Hummer. Took it up another notch and am now hoping a field engineer will check out my H3 himself. I'm hoping to hear something soon. I have forgotten what my H3 looks like. Tired of the Cadi loaner. Good luck with yours. Please post whatever YOU find out about your final results.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:34 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastmaster
Realistically - yes, it can happen.

Here's the reason:

The brake pads will "float" a bit. The floating action will be in all three dimensions (right/left/up/down/forward/back). This prevents the pad from binding and will prevent brake drag from happening, thereby preventing unncessary wear. (This floating action, with pads that have metallic compound can at times, cause a high-pitched squealing sound. Car manufacturers cannot use pads that contain asbestos due to environmental laws that affect a manufacturer versus and aftermarket supplier. We also do not use soft organic pads since they wear too quickly, and produce massive amounts of brake dust. Some aftermarket suppliers use asbestos pads, they are quieter, but also more dangerous when changing, and wear faster.)

Lazy assemblers will not put enough brake pad squeal prevention backing on the pad, thereby allowing the pad to float up and down to make the click sound. As the rotor turns, the pad (since they *are* new) will also grab the rotor until they break in.

So - you can do the following:

1) Take the pads off yourself and chamfer the leading and trailing edges. Add a boatload of anti-squeal and replace (I would never recommend adding any anti-squeal compound, these brakes should have anti-squeal shims installed at the suppliers plant where the front corners are assembled. In addition, a "boatload" will cause some to eventually drip onto the rotor and other surfaces. Any use of anti-squeal compound should be minimal, if required. Should I also point out that anti-squeal compound is to be added to the back (metal) surface of the pads, if used. Reason I say this is I had a neighbor once, who put anti-squeal compound on the pads themselves, backed out of the garage, and hit a tree )

2) Take it to another dealer - make THEM do step 1.

3) Take it to the same dealer - make THEM do step 1

4) Wait another 500 miles and allow the pads to break in normally. (I suggest this course for a few hundred more miles.)

5) Make sure the anti-squeal springs are installed. Mistakes are made during assembly.

If you do not see any loss in braking power, you really will be fine. I'm sure F5Fstop will chime in, but there will be some tolerances that are acceptable in new brake pads and new rotors. Yours might just be on the annoying side of the tolerance level...True. Hard to get good stopping power, low brake dust, and decent wear without using some metallic in brake pads

After 2.5k miles on my wife's H3, all strange noises have either abated or we've tracked them down to their source. It did take that long to get there though..

Just a few notes to add. Otherwise I agree, wait a few hundred miles. My Vette was notorious for metallic brake pad squeal, so I replaced the pads with Ceramics. Or if you want to guarantee no squeal, a person can always purchase the softer aftermarket asbestos or organic pads, but they will wear a lot faster, and leave a ton of black brake dust on the rims. Good example are German made vehicles, look at their front rims, they are usually covered in black brake dust. The Saturn L-series, with German (Opel) brake pads were terrible producers of brake dust.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:41 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

drag the brake for a few miles each time you start out. just enough to make the pads contact some. Some heat can do weird things.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:48 PM
Hummer Veteran

GotSandH3 is off the scale

I work as a tech at a mercedes-benz dealer. We usually take the pads off, chamfer the edges using a file and apply a $hit load of brake pad grease. If that doesnt work, we replaced the pads under warranty due to abnormal noise.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:56 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

May I ask what prevents the brake pad grease (anti-squeal compound) from leaking, once hot, all over the rotors at speeds? Just curious.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:52 AM
Hummer Veteran

humdoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Had a similar ticking sound in the front. The fix, tighten the lug nuts down. No kidding, noise stopped. May sound stupid but it actually worked.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:05 AM
Hummer Veteran

GotSandH3 is off the scale

I really dont know. We put it on the backside of the pad, so its not really
close to the rotor itself. I dont think it liquidfies that easy when heated.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:40 AM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec W
Dude, wtf? Any truck with you in will stress the breaks. Try loosing about 100 lbs and then lets talk.
no worries, I have lost over 100 lbs since my illness
Old 07-28-2006, 04:35 PM
Hummer Veteran

KJS is an unknown quantity at this point

250 miles, still the same annoying ass noise. getting close up to the rotors I can see a few little grooves in them? If I drag my finger across the surface of the rotor I can feel a slight groove/channel/cut (for lack of words) is below the surface. Does this point to or part of the noise I am hearing all the time?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rotor.jpg (30.4 KB, 330 views)
File Type: jpg rotor2.jpg (31.0 KB, 338 views)