H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 04-21-2006, 06:23 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

And Hummer should be pissed. Camshaft replacement is a half day job with the right special tools, and all Hummer dealers have been given the right special tools. Not like the pain in the ass head replacement, camshafts are extremely easy to take off and replace.
This dealer is really putting you off, and from what you have reported. screwing GM/Hummer in the process. It is very evident they have no idea what they are doing or are just lying to the customer about what they have to do.
We have been working for the past week on the cylinder head removal to shorten the time without causing any engine damage.
Good luck....
Old 04-22-2006, 12:15 AM
Hummer Veteran

Av1ator is off the scale

I tried to get Hummer to give me a new engine when mine was out of service for a month waiting for a head and parts. They said there was no way they were giving me new engine until ALL efforts to repair mine had failed.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:30 PM
Steve - SanJose

Quote:
Originally posted by Av1ator:
I tried to get Hummer to give me a new engine when mine was out of service for a month waiting for a head and parts. They said there was no way they were giving me new engine until ALL efforts to repair mine had failed.

Refresh our memory please on what the final outcome of your dealer's clusterf**k regarding your engine...
Old 04-22-2006, 08:36 PM
Hummer Veteran

Av1ator is off the scale

I took my H3 in with the engine light on. It had a cracked intake manifold and low compression on cylinder THREE and was running rough at idle. Dealer was able to get intake quickly but took a few days to decide what to do about the low compression. They decided the fix was to replace the whole top end. It took about a month to get the parts. I drove an H3 rented trough Enterprise and paid for by GM while my H3 was in the shop. During the time it was in the shop I asked for a new engine and was told THE ONLY WAY that GM would replace my engine was if all attempts to fix it failed. It now runs PERFECT and I am Very Happy with my H3.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:10 PM
Steve - SanJose

Av1 - good ending to a long painful story. Glad you've got your H3 back running strong.

S.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:11 PM

Jim Williams is off the scale

Got it back yesterday. Here's the story:
0 psi compression on all cylinders. Removed cam shaft, intake camshaft bolt loose and locating pin sheared off causing gear to turn on cam. Valves OK. Replaced intake camshaft, gear and bolt, also replaced exhaust cam gear.
After roadtest, vehicle would not start. No fuel pressure. Fuel pump relay found loose terminal in underhood electrical center. Replaced block.
I also had a no start out in the Borrego Desert last winter. The neg. battery terminal was loose so I tightend it on the spot, good to go. Sounds like a bit of poor assembly here, maybe it's a Monday car.
Now I'm back to my third engine break in period.

Pray for me.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:17 PM
Hummer Expert

NoMoGMPG is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve - SanJose:
I am puzzled by the repair/rebuild rather than entire engine replacement. I would have expected that GM would prefer to study the entire defective engine.

S.

You can bet they will be asking for that engine back. I smell a chargeback to the repairing dealer for incompetent work.

There is nothing chronic about this engine that I have noticed, only the normal small small percentage of quality failures.
1999 AMGeneral H1 6.5TD BLACK Wagon e-Lockers Front and Back, Rubberduck4x4 RockTubes, Extended Undercarriage Protection,"Big Duck" 2" body lift/2 1/2" suspension lift, 41" IROK Radials on 17" Cepeks w/Rock Rims, (in process)Centered front diff, 3.08 gears, 12k Brakes and 12k halfshafts
Old 04-26-2006, 09:38 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Williams:
Got it back yesterday. Here's the story:
0 psi compression on all cylinders. Removed cam shaft, intake camshaft bolt loose and locating pin sheared off causing gear to turn on cam. Valves OK. Replaced intake camshaft, gear and bolt, also replaced exhaust cam gear.
After roadtest, vehicle would not start. No fuel pressure. Fuel pump relay found loose terminal in underhood electrical center. Replaced block.
I also had a no start out in the Borrego Desert last winter. The neg. battery terminal was loose so I tightend it on the spot, good to go. Sounds like a bit of poor assembly here, maybe it's a Monday car.
Now I'm back to my third engine break in period.

Pray for me.

The initial cylinder head problem was GM's problem and hopefully that has been fixed.
However, from what you have said, the technician did one of two things in regard to the camshaft, and I will assume number one is the real cause.
1. The cam gear to camshaft requires a NEW torque-to-yield bolt, the old bolt cannot be used once it has been torqued. So, I would bet a lunch, they installed the old bolt, torqued it, and it lost torque due to the threads already stretched to their max.
2. He didn't torque the bolt as specified, it came lose, and bingo, gear spins with chain.
The electrical problems can be related to this technician too. It is recommended to remove the fuse block to gain access to many items that are removed to service the head. He could have banged it around a bit too much breaking the terminal.
Intake manifold is plastic. Over torquing, either with a torque wrench or power tool, will crack. That is why the service procedures tell them to tighten, then torque with a torque wrench. If they don't, it can crack or warp.

Can't pray for you, since I don't believe in it, but I sure hope that everything is ok. If not, and I was you, I would jump into Hummers **** so bad, demand a new engine or a new vehicle, and I would NEVER allow anyone in that dealer to touch anything, including adding air to a tire.

Sounds to me like the technician was sloppy, hurried the job, doesn't understand torque-to-yield bolt usage, and needs to see if Walmart is hiring greeters.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:08 PM
Steve - SanJose

Pray for and demand a new H3 or worst case new engine. Extending the warranty on this hack job(s) is not the solution.

S.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:26 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Pray for and demand a new H3 or worst case new engine. Extending the warranty on this hack job(s) is not the solution.

S.
Nothing's wrong with the current rebuild if you assume that is the only thing the technician did wrong. You would be stupid not to take the extended warranty over a new engine. The freaking warranty covers the "hack job" and anything else that might go wrong during the term of the warranty, all because the technician failed to install a cam gear correctly (we hope is all).
Old 04-26-2006, 11:22 PM
Steve - SanJose

Quote:
Originally posted by PARAGON:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve - SanJose:

S.
Nothing's wrong with the current rebuild if you assume that is the only thing the technician did wrong. You would be stupid not to take the extended warranty over a new engine. The freaking warranty covers the "hack job" and anything else that might go wrong during the term of the warranty, all because the technician failed to install a cam gear correctly (we hope is all). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Too much hoping and assuming about the "hack job" rebuild so far on Mr. William's H3. And too many breakdowns and trips to the shop. A new H3 would be preferred at this point, with an extended warranty for all his trouble.

S.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:26 AM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PARAGON:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve - SanJose:

S.
Nothing's wrong with the current rebuild if you assume that is the only thing the technician did wrong. You would be stupid not to take the extended warranty over a new engine. The freaking warranty covers the "hack job" and anything else that might go wrong during the term of the warranty, all because the technician failed to install a cam gear correctly (we hope is all). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Too much hoping and assuming about the "hack job" rebuild so far on Mr. William's H3. And too many breakdowns and trips to the shop. A new H3 would be preferred at this point, with an extended warranty for all his trouble.

S. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Then why not expect to get a free upgrade to a H2 as well if your going that far.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:06 AM
Hummer Veteran

cestwick is off the scale

If you don't have any luck with this rebuild and have to get a new one I know that lynch hummer has about 20 green h3's in stock. I have been looking at green/green, adventure, monsoon, brush gaurd, tow package, ect..and they have around 8 of them. Should be able to get a dealer trade. Now all I have to do is find someone to buy my Harley.
'06 H3 Shadow Green, Adventure, 6 disk Monsoon, SMA brush guard w/PIAA lights, Rocky Road extreme rocker protection, roof lights(off road), lower grill lights(off road), Helo Maxx8 Black Wheels, 35" Cooper STT, Garmin I-Que M4 to get home.