H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 11-21-2006, 05:06 PM
Hummer Veteran

SeattleH3 is on a distinguished road
Default Tire monitoring system override

Any way to disconnect or bypass this system. Keep getting a low tire warning when tires aren't low. Annoying!
Old 11-21-2006, 05:50 PM
Hummer Expert

H3 Hummer is off the scale
Default Re: Tire monitoring system override

Check your rear tire air pressure also. I had the same problem and took it in several types at the Bellevue Hummer location. They finally fixed the problem and I have not had a problem since. I think the rear spare air pressue should be 45 or 50.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:11 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

When does it go off? (Is it in the AM when the temps are at the lowest.)
When do yiou check the pressures? (Hopefully, when the tires have been sitting for at least three hours, and in the same temps as when the sensor goes off.)

Ninety percent of all complaints to the dealer are the system sets a warning in the AM, then goes away, and in those cases, the cold TP is too low. Remember, for each 10 degree rise in temps, the TP goes up 1 psi. For each 10 degree drop in temps, the TP goes down 1 psi. So, if the tires are not at factory recommended pressures, and the temps drop real low at night, they will go off. Some people then check their TP, but that is on a warm vehicle.

If there is a problem, you could have one (or more) bad sensors, or if you have rotated the tires and that rotation included the spare, then the sensors have be be relearned since a new sensor is added to the mixture of four sensors recognized by the BCM.

Only items in the TPM system are five sensors (only four recognized so spare is disregarded), BCM and that is about it.

So, if TP is accurate per the tire placard on the vehicle, and TPs are checked at the time of the system warning you of low TP; take it to the dealer and have them fix it. The dealer or you cannot disable the system; it is a Federal Regulation, and GM will not turn them off, and the Dealers can't.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:31 AM
Hummer Veteran

Urban Ops is on a distinguished road

So does this mean if I change my rims and do not put the TPM's on them I will have that warning on all the time?
Old 11-22-2006, 06:39 AM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Ops
So does this mean if I change my rims and do not put the TPM's on them I will have that warning on all the time?

Yep.

Old 11-22-2006, 07:18 AM
Hummer Veteran

Linus Gump is on a distinguished road

I would have to disagree with that. I know of a couple of people who have changed rims and did not transfer thier sensors and the computer realises there are no sensors so it doesnt report an error or low tire.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:45 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus Gump
I would have to disagree with that. I know of a couple of people who have changed rims and did not transfer thier sensors and the computer realises there are no sensors so it doesnt report an error or low tire.

On an H3? I would like to see this....
Old 11-22-2006, 04:02 PM
Lex_Ordo

The factory door jam sticker states that the loaded tires on the vehicle should be at 30 psi, and the unloaded spare be at 50 psi.

The rating on the sidewall of the tire is for the unloaded pressure.

Since the Bridgestone A/T Duelers, are rated at 50 psi, this is correct for the spare. Once the tire is placed on a vehicle the tire is under a load and the psi changes.
I usually keep my loaded tires set at 37psi, so there is no issue when the temp. drops.
My sensor went off once, since I bought the truck, and the PSI was at 32. Increased to 37, and no issues.
HTH
Old 11-22-2006, 04:40 PM
Hummer Veteran

SeattleH3 is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys! I don't care about fed regulations. If anyone finds a way to disable this system please let me know. This big brother crap is ridiculous. Thanks!
Old 11-22-2006, 04:45 PM
Hummer Expert

H3.007 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am experiencing this as well - and right to F5's explanation. The weather has been in the 20s here the last few mornings. The TPM conistently goes off after 500 feet and shuts off after approximately two miles.

I surmise that as F5 stated, the TPM is sensing a low TP on cold mornings. Thus, once the friction of travel occurs, the wheels, tires, and subsequently air heats up to proper TP and *wala* the TPM alert goes back to sleep.

It is a bit disconcerting, but I am willing to deal with it.

Incidentally, does the spare really have a TPM in it? And what would be a good tire pressure to run in the winter to avoid this TPM alert if possible?

Old 11-22-2006, 05:52 PM
Hummer Veteran

aetherH3 is off the scale

FWIW, i had the cold morning TP issue as well. I just upped my psi a little to deal with it.
I like to run my tires at around 37 psi as well. what psi does everyone else run?
Old 11-22-2006, 06:17 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been keeping PSI at 35lbs on road and 18lbs offroad.
22,000 miles no uneven wear.
the dealer rotated at 8,000 ,one tire had a small cut so spare was rotated in.(dealer programed spare tire in)
I skiped the 16,000 rotation and will be rotating myself again at 24,000

The duelers are holding up great
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:23 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex_Ordo
The factory door jam sticker states that the loaded tires on the vehicle should be at 30 psi, and the unloaded spare be at 50 psi.

The rating on the sidewall of the tire is for the unloaded pressure.

Since the Bridgestone A/T Duelers, are rated at 50 psi, this is correct for the spare. Once the tire is placed on a vehicle the tire is under a load and the psi changes.
I usually keep my loaded tires set at 37psi, so there is no issue when the temp. drops.
My sensor went off once, since I bought the truck, and the PSI was at 32. Increased to 37, and no issues.
HTH

If you are running bridgstones your tire placard should read 35 psi. (There was a recall sent out on some H3s due to an improper tire placard having been installed at the plant. VINs between 68153682 and 68165825)

I check mine at least once every two weeks, more in the late fall and late spring. Usually a Sat. morning, early, and the tires are nice and cold. If we get a warm up for a day or two, not a problem running the tires a few psi over. Spare I keep at 50 psi.
Never check the tires where one side of the vehicle is in the sun since the psi can vary from the sun side to the non-sun side by 1-2 psi.

There is a TP sensor in each tire, including the spare. The BCM is programmed to recognize only four TP sensors. The rear door and distance to the BCM keeps the BCM from reading the spare tire.
If you rotate the tires with only the four on the ground, you do not have to reset your system, if you include the spare, you have to reset the system, since a new sensor serial number has been added to the other three, and the computer does not recognize this new sensor until you do the programming function. The sensors are not corner specific as in vehicles such as Vettes, STS, etc., where the DIC displays the TP pressure for each individual tire.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:47 PM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleH3
Thanks guys! I don't care about fed regulations. If anyone finds a way to disable this system please let me know. This big brother crap is ridiculous. Thanks!

Does the whole Firestone / Ford Exploder thing ring a bell? This is what happens when you live in a lawsuit crazy society. This isn't to protect you as much as it is to protect the auto makers from you.

Old 11-22-2006, 09:25 PM
Hummer Veteran

Jeff G is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
On an H3? I would like to see this....

I didn't transfer my sensors onto the new wheels and my computer never reports any type of an error. I didn't do anything but change the wheels.
2006 H3 Lux/Offroad - Slate Blue - Ebony Leather - Sunroof - Brush Guard - Husky Rear Mat - Petz Cover (so my Wheaton Terrier can ride with me) - GOBI Stealth Rack - PIAA Lights - DC/AC Coverter - Truxxx Leveling Kit - DC1 Wheels - 35"X12.50" Toyo Open Country AT - Step Bars - Onboard Air - Chrome Fire Extinguisher

2003 Mercedes Benz S500 AMG

2003 BMW Z3 - Wife's
Old 11-22-2006, 09:39 PM
Hummer Authority

Wisha Haddan H3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewie
Does the whole Firestone / Ford Exploder thing ring a bell? This is what happens when you live in a lawsuit crazy society. This isn't to protect you as much as it is to protect the auto makers from you.

True ... but it might help some people. I know a lot of folks who never check their oil, tires or gas gauge and ignore the idiot lights for months. Then they bitch when the engine dies. At least the new alarms ding at you.

Just don't tell the ditz in your life how to turn the chime off
Old 11-23-2006, 12:06 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff G
I didn't transfer my sensors onto the new wheels and my computer never reports any type of an error. I didn't do anything but change the wheels.

That's strange. I was told if the sensors are removed it will notify you. My Vette sure did...
Heck, the US border patrol has been compaining of these sensors, since they always run low TP in the desert.
Old 11-23-2006, 02:33 AM
Hummer Veteran

Khoolhandz is on a distinguished road

I changed my wheels and did not bother putting the TPM.

I only got the SERV TPM message after two starts, and then none afterwards.

Been driving it now for a while and never had any SERV TPM message.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:42 AM
Hummer Veteran

whaaaaT is on a distinguished road

read your owners manual. Theres a thing you do to calibrate the tire pressure sensors. I dont remember what it was but its something with the key and then the DIC then you go around letting air out of each tire for 5 seconds or something and the car beeps once at each tire.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:50 AM
Hummer Veteran

Linus Gump is on a distinguished road

That is for tire rotations. It tells the TPM where each sensor is. For whatever reason, it nees to know this for proper monitoring.