H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 05-25-2010, 11:15 PM
Hummer Veteran

The_Yeti is on a distinguished road
Default Amp cable install question

I'll be a installing an amp over the weeked for a little extra low end sound. I was wondering where the easiest hole opening from the cab to the engine compartment would be?
Need to run some 4gauge or 8gauge depending on whats at the store.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:36 PM
Hummer Veteran

seventwozero is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Amp cable install question

Based soley on what I've read on the forums here I don't think there is an exsisting hole you can go through, I'm sure people have found a way of course. I've read threads on installing lights and most people seem to say to look under your dash and on your firewall, find a spot that is clear and as high up as possible then drill the size hole you need. Run your wire with a rubber grommet to prevent the firewall from cutting your wire and seal the hole off, I think one user here used some JB weld? Silicone would probably do the trick to.

Make sure you run your RCA's down the opposite kick panel as the power to avoid interference
Old 05-26-2010, 10:07 AM
Hummer Veteran

SmokeyJoe is on a distinguished road

The easiest spot I found in on the floorboard on the drivers side. There is a inch or so soft rubber plug there.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:32 PM
Hummer Veteran

PHATBOYPIMP is off the scale

On my 06, there was a plugged hole in the firewall in and around where the steering column comes out. It has been a while since I looked, but that was the hole I used with the OEM back-up camera I installed (which had a plug that fit that hole perfectly).
Old 05-27-2010, 04:34 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quijy is on a distinguished road

I used the massive OEM grommet on the drivers side, under the dash. I was able to get three #4 lines, and 3 12 conductor control lines thru. Best way to get wiring thru it this. Under the hood, remove the black bracket that holds the hood supports. Remove the one on the drivers side, should be on with four 13m bolts. Once off, you can see the grommet/wiring bundle. Peel the tape off the grommet. The harness is taped, then it is taped to the outer sleeve of the grommet. Once you have the grommet and harness free from each other, you can start putting wiring thru it. The KEY TO DO THIS? dish washing liquid soap. What I do is use a 12" 3/8" socket extension. On the female side of the extension, put the wire in the 3/8" square hole. now tape from the shaft of the extension over the 3/8" square end, to the wire in a tight spiral wrap. Go about 1" down on the wire with the tape. Now get the soap, put a quarter size blob on a paper towel, then wipe the shaft of the extension down onto the wire, now gently insert the extension thru the grommet from the inside of the vehicle. The grommet may pop out of the firewal but it will go right back in, get the extension thru the grommet opening. It will stretch to accommodate the extension. Once thru, add more soap to the wire as you pull it thru the grommet/wiring bundle. The key is keey the wire lubed with the soap for the wire going thru the grommet. Once you have all the wires thru the grommet and in place. Pop the grommet back in if needed. Now retape the wiring harness and your new wires back to the grommet sleeve as it was stock. place the wiring under the hood then install the hood support back in its place.
2005 Dodge 1500 Hemi Crew Cab
2007 Tahoe (Flex Fuel)
Old 05-27-2010, 03:51 PM
Hummer Veteran

justdanorm is on a distinguished road

I just cut a hole and installed a new grommet for my off-road light wires.

Its difficult to get it through the existing big grommet with all the wires in there.

The delta light bar instructions actually recommended to take a screwdriver and poke a hole through it...without damaging the wires... not happening

Peeling back the wire covers and the tape sounds like a better idea though. But amp power wires should be a bit thicker, just have a new hole made or make your own or find something that isn't being used.

Coming Soon: Fabtech 6"
Old 05-27-2010, 06:06 PM
Hummer Veteran

The_Yeti is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone. I'll be taking a look Saturday at grommet hole mentioned above. Hopefully it's not too much of a pain.