H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 08-01-2011, 03:26 PM
Elcova Newbie

PRoutfitter is on a distinguished road
Default RPM surge? 2003 H2

Been having this happen for awhile...hasn't gotten worse...hasn't gotten better.
When driving the RPM seems to surge (1500-2000rpm) before it will shift. Almost like when you really stomp on the throttle. Never notice any slipping, knocking, or clunks from the tranny. Fluids seem good, have never serviced transmission though...just over 210,000 km on the unit. Had a mechanic drive the unit to deliver it after a oil change and alignment. He noticed it, he thought it was tranny issues...but wasn't sure. Not his expertise.

Any ideas whats happening?

appreciate any help.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:15 PM
Hummer Professional

charles06 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: RPM surge? 2003 H2

Seems to be a common theme going on lately. I posted a few weeks ago about the same problem, and someone else posted something that sounded related. I'm still having my surging, happens around 48 MPH. I get a few short surges, then it goes away. I've had the injector cleaning, services, etc. all done, but I'm still getting the problem. Dealer suggested the tranny slipping as well, but wanted to try cheaper fixes first. Lemme know if you figure this out. I'll do the same.
White 2005 SUT, Lifted 7.5" via Fabtech/custom work, Fabtech Dirt Logic 2.25 shocks, 40x15.5x22 Toyo's, black 22" Fuel wheels, 4.88 gears, Dynatech long tube headers, Magnaflow exhaust, Air-raid intake, Superchips programmer, Edlebrock panhard bar, Cognito UCA's, Kryptonite tie rods, Cognito pitman/idlar arm gussets, Hotchkis swaybars and trailing arms, Amp Research steps, E&G fender flares, PIAA SMR's, smoked roof lights (bulbs removed), black suede headliner, 13" JL's under seat
Old 08-02-2011, 10:46 PM
Hummer Veteran

The_Yeti is on a distinguished road

charles06,
I hate to think it's the transmission but I think the dealer might be right. I always thought it was the throttle body, but now i'm thinking tranny. Did the dealer mention what kind of work done on the tranny needs done and or price?
Old 08-03-2011, 05:33 PM
Hummer Professional

I can't remember what they said. It was a few months ago. The service manager basically said that I'd be better off getting one of their certified transmissions as the work to fix mine would be about the same cost, plus I'd get a 3 yr/100,000 mile warranty on it. They couldn't replicate my problem, so he said just wait til it gets worse. I have a good relationship with the service manager, and he doesn't like me to spend money if I don't have to.
White 2005 SUT, Lifted 7.5" via Fabtech/custom work, Fabtech Dirt Logic 2.25 shocks, 40x15.5x22 Toyo's, black 22" Fuel wheels, 4.88 gears, Dynatech long tube headers, Magnaflow exhaust, Air-raid intake, Superchips programmer, Edlebrock panhard bar, Cognito UCA's, Kryptonite tie rods, Cognito pitman/idlar arm gussets, Hotchkis swaybars and trailing arms, Amp Research steps, E&G fender flares, PIAA SMR's, smoked roof lights (bulbs removed), black suede headliner, 13" JL's under seat
Old 08-17-2011, 05:11 PM
Hummer Professional

HummerLV is off the scale

i have talked to my service dude many times about the surge, he told me it was the torque converter and that it is right at the rpm range of shifting. i believe him, although irritating, because when i changed my shift points with hypertech, the surge changed to a new rpm range.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:14 AM
Hummer Veteran

etmyers is on a distinguished road

I am having the same issue on my 06 H2. I had the garage clean the throttle body and it went away for a week or so. I also averaged a little more than 2mpg better. Since then the surging comes and goes. I also have went down about 1mpg less but still averaging over 1 mpg better than before the throttle body cleaning.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:37 PM
Hummer Professional

I'm still getting the surging. Still happening around 48 mph. I can literraly see my tach jump 2-3 times, then stop. Only happens when I first take the truck out.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:33 AM
Hummer Novice

madmike is on a distinguished road

My trans started slipping. Pulled the pan and found lots of metal powder around the magnet and in my filter. Changed out the fluid with no results. I think my clutch plates are fried!
Old 01-06-2014, 08:50 PM
Hummer Veteran

MrIgor is on a distinguished road

i been fighting with this problem for last 6 month 03 H2.

I replaced 2 transmission (rebuilt units) mine was NOT a core. I have replaced maf, map etc... Nothing.

Only interesting thing I found; if I plug the truck and drive into a obd reader, the O2 sensors are going crazy and it shows it never goes past 3rd gear, but i was doing 65MPH at 2600RPM???? I think it is a wiring OR PCM problem.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:03 PM
Hummer Veteran

MrIgor is on a distinguished road

Update: i checked all wires going to transmission. All perfect.

Interesting thing: I put it 92 octane gas into the truck, and it runs almost perfect. the timing will get changed to higher octane gas. Now question is now what??