H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 06-07-2005, 08:28 PM

h2turbo is off the scale

STS is excited to become a Sponsor of the Hummer Forums.

Our goal in becoming a sponsor is to let people know there is another option for adding power to their H2 and be here to answer any questions or concerns that you may have.

All of the information about the system is on our website. http://www.ststurbo.com

Key stats are at 5 psi we saw the following results:

Rear Wheel Horsepower: 316
%'d increase: 60%

Rear Wheel Torque: 350
%'d increase: 46%

You may have seen the actual dyno run on the Guns and Gears TV Show.

Most people don't believe a remote mounted turbo system will work. The biggest questions are around turbo lag and the air filter location. The fact is that is does work. We've got hundreds of happy customers.

This system achieves full boost by 3000 rpm in first gear. Turbos are load dependent, so on the free way in higher gears the boost comes on sooner, usually before 2000 rpm. I personally have a 6.0L truck with the remote mounted system on it. I've turned up the boost and get 7 psi by 3000 rpm. Besides the power, the coolest part about the system is the sound it makes. You get a deep V8 rumble combined with the turbo spool.

Check out the testimonial section of the site to see responses from our customers.

Air filter location is not an issue for normal everyday driving. It comes with a Outerwears Drycharger Sock that sheds water. All of our test vehicles are everyday drivers and we drive them all winter long in Utah. For those of you that take your H2 offroad, the solution is very simple. We sell a snorkel hose kit that relocates the air filter above wheel level.

For $5195 this system comes complete with tuning and fuel system upgrades.

If you have any questions, I'll watch the forum and do my best to get you timely responses.

Thanks!

Ben @ STS
Old 06-07-2005, 08:28 PM

h2turbo is off the scale

STS is excited to become a Sponsor of the Hummer Forums.

Our goal in becoming a sponsor is to let people know there is another option for adding power to their H2 and be here to answer any questions or concerns that you may have.

All of the information about the system is on our website. http://www.ststurbo.com

Key stats are at 5 psi we saw the following results:

Rear Wheel Horsepower: 316
%'d increase: 60%

Rear Wheel Torque: 350
%'d increase: 46%

You may have seen the actual dyno run on the Guns and Gears TV Show.

Most people don't believe a remote mounted turbo system will work. The biggest questions are around turbo lag and the air filter location. The fact is that is does work. We've got hundreds of happy customers.

This system achieves full boost by 3000 rpm in first gear. Turbos are load dependent, so on the free way in higher gears the boost comes on sooner, usually before 2000 rpm. I personally have a 6.0L truck with the remote mounted system on it. I've turned up the boost and get 7 psi by 3000 rpm. Besides the power, the coolest part about the system is the sound it makes. You get a deep V8 rumble combined with the turbo spool.

Check out the testimonial section of the site to see responses from our customers.

Air filter location is not an issue for normal everyday driving. It comes with a Outerwears Drycharger Sock that sheds water. All of our test vehicles are everyday drivers and we drive them all winter long in Utah. For those of you that take your H2 offroad, the solution is very simple. We sell a snorkel hose kit that relocates the air filter above wheel level.

For $5195 this system comes complete with tuning and fuel system upgrades.

If you have any questions, I'll watch the forum and do my best to get you timely responses.

Thanks!

Ben @ STS
Old 06-08-2005, 02:42 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Ben, welcome to the forum. Many expressed interest in your product when Jonahs was working with you. He really hoped for a group buy deal. Obviously that didn't workout.

Anyway, I know he had some issues with the system, among others, after installation. How did things turn out? We might as well hear your side of it before some folks start putting money up for your product.

And whatever happened with Rick? I know he was talking with you extensively, before choosing something else.

FWIW, I'm not going after you in some vindictive way. Many were left hanging without all the info. I'm asking you to straighten it all out. Thanks.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:27 AM
Banned

DRTYF? (the imposter) is off the scale

What are the advantages for this system other then cooler running turbo inlet?
Old 06-08-2005, 01:44 PM
Hummer Messiah

Ben, I just thought of a couple of other things I'm sure you can help me with. What happened with the guy in Dallas? How did you get the info from him, exactly?

Did you get the injector size right yet? I know that was an issue with the first one you sent out the door. As you know, fuel is very important and shorting it could cause a failure. One that would be hard to prove exactly what caused it.

A big selling point for your kit is it's ease of installation and you really promote that. I think that's great. Unlike the supercharger which is hard to install and most don't do it themselves, I bet most guys will try to install your setup themselves. Of course, then their warranty is null and void. How is that relayed to them in a manner that removes all ambiguity?
Old 06-08-2005, 04:03 PM

h2turbo is off the scale

KenP,

Thanks for your posts.

First, on the group buy - we are not against trying to get something going on a group buy. We only sell through our STS Power Dealers, so I'll talk with our VP of Sales and figure out what we can do.

With Jonahs, the only thing I will say is that oiling system was installed incorrectly. We've had many customers with the 6.0L engine running for over a year with no issues, including my truck, which was the first 6.0L truck.

At the time that Rick wanted a H2 kit, we did not have one available and our R&D schedule was full. It was simply a business decision to work on sports cars before the H2. We didn't have what Rick wanted, so he made a different decision on forced induction. I would have done the same thing as him.

I'm not sure who you are talking about in Dallas. I'll need more info - e-mail me more information and I'll find out if there is an issue.

In terms of injectors we use the same injectors that we use on all the 6.0L engines. 42# injectors. All the feedback I've seen on the prototype vehicle and the first kits is that A/F ratios are great.

I'm not sure I understand the warranty question. We highly recommend that one of our Power Dealers install the system to receive the 12 month system parts warranty.

Hopefully that answers that round of questions sufficiently. Let me know if you have any other questions...

Thanks!

Ben
Old 06-08-2005, 04:23 PM

h2turbo is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H2GuyPerson:
What are the advantages for this system other then cooler running turbo inlet? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

H2GuyPerson,

Here's what I see as the benefits of going with a remote mount setup on the H2.

1. Efficient performance in the usable RPM range - Turbos are more efficient than superchargers are building horsepower/torque. On the H2 it totally wakes it up and makes it a blast to drive around town. On the freeway you'll gain 2-4 mpg which is very difficult to do with a supercharger.

2. Emissions legal - a custom turbo setup would be very difficult to get CARB certification. We've recieved our test memo and have a testing date with the CARB lab this month. I expect a CARB EO number within the next couple months. We expected this a year ago, but had contracted with a company that didn't deliver. We now have a direct contact with CARB and feel a lot more confident in our understanding of the CARB Exemption order process and our ability to get the EO#.

3. The sound of the vehicle is awesome. I know I'm biased, but the whine of the supercharger always there is not my favorite thing. I love the V8 rumble, turbo spool and blow off sound on our vehicles.

4. The power is there when you want it. Idling and putting around town you would hardly know that the turbo is there. When you want the power at a stop light, on ramp or passing you've got full boost by 3000 rpms in first gear. It is like having a bottle of nitrous on demand.

5. It is easy to do maintenance on your vehicle. There is more room in the engine bay after the system is installed than before. Changing spark plugs, etc is still easy to do and won't cost you in extra time at the mechanic.

That is why I would buy the system. After driving around my 6.0L truck for a year now, I can't imagine driving without it. I love my commute and anytime I can get in the truck. It just makes driving fun.

Hope that helps...

Ben
Old 06-08-2005, 04:26 PM
Hummer Professional

Fastest H-Town Realtor is off the scale

The posting of a STS'ed H2 dyno sheet would be nice. A/F ratio would help also. Lastly, please specify which type of dyno is being used and whether its an awd or 2wd unit.

Have-08 Titan C/C,06 GCSRT-425FTLB & AWD, other junk..
Want-08 Viper, 06 M5
Old 06-08-2005, 04:53 PM

h2turbo is off the scale

The dyno, along with customer testimonials, pricing, etc. is all on the website.

http://www.ststurbo.com/hummer_h2

However, I've attached the scanned in dyno page to this message. Unfortunately it doesn't have the A/F ratio. Rick Squires, who tuned the vehicle, said it was in the low 11's.

The dyno run was done on an all wheel drive Mustang Dyno at Modern Garage in Murray, UT. You can call Christian at Modern Garage if you would like to verify. 801-262-4605.

Thanks for the question!

Ben
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2005, 05:03 PM
Hummer Messiah

Thanks for answering those. I have more:

The K&N you supply chaffs on the brake lines and the fuel filler hose. Have you fixed that yet? And if so, how did you fix it? I'd hate to see some deadly problem caused by that.

Also, the issue of the rock rails. Many guys and gals on this forum use their trucks offroad. Your design requires cutting the rail supports subsantially to install, thus rendering one nearly useless. Have you fixed this problem yet? And how have you fixed it?

Could you post pics of the system installed on an H2? Both the underside and engine bay.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Posted by Turbo H2:
With Jonahs, the only thing I will say is that oiling system was installed incorrectly. We've had many customers with the 6.0L engine running for over a year with no issues, including my truck, which was the first 6.0L truck. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You said the oiling system wasn't installed correctly on his truck. Hard to prove problem, I'm sure. How, exactly, was it determined that was the problem? Dealer inspection or some other method? Since his was one of, if not the first, H2 with your system, how did you assist in the install? And more importantly, how did you assist in the repair?

Can't wait to see the dyno sheets. Thanks again.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:06 PM
Hummer Messiah

OOOps, you snuck the sheet in while I was typing. Thanks and it looks good.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:26 PM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

All i will say about My situation and not mention the dealer as He is a very good man and I do not want to cause Him any problems

But, He and I approached STS to do R@D for H2. I would cover labor and asked STS several times to just furnish the parts. At the end STS would have had a H2 kit last summer.
The reply We got, was not going to do an H2 no market and then another response of not only are We not doing a kit for H2 We will never do one for H2 because there is not enough market there. My response was that Hummer owners spend more money to upgrade everything about their ride than most other vehicles on the road. They have the extra income to do that and that there is a market.

I was told that Your were covered up making
f body kits, did not have time to mess with it. The thing is We did not ask You to mess with it just willing provide the parts and I would cover R@D labor for the dealer. Seemed like a very fair deal to Me. I also offered to promote the turbo once i had it on for a little while to make sure all the bugs were worked out to where it would be a finished product.
So bottom line is I would have been running an STS system for a very long time by now. Instead I had a sponsor for My show H2 that furnished Me with a Magnuson supercharger to be recognised as a sponsor at shows because they saw how aggressive i was at winning whether I had sponsors or just spending My money. I would have had it on when I won the state Hummer title a while back. Not only could I have let the forum members know about it and many would have already been running STS as well but, I could have had every judge at every show looking at the STS system and not counting how many spectators would have been seeing it with a mirror underneath to show it off.

All i can say is it showed a narrow mind or tunnel vision a well as poor ability to judge a market and not taking advice from a person who knew what the market looked like.
That is all i will say as it is water under the bridge and I have moved on.
TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 06-08-2005, 05:27 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Posted by Turbo H2:
With Jonahs, the only thing I will say is that oiling system was installed incorrectly. We've had many customers with the 6.0L engine running for over a year with no issues, including my truck, which was the first 6.0L truck. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Did you have to design the oiling system different for the H2 than from the other 6.0L trucks?
Old 06-08-2005, 05:52 PM

h2turbo is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RLTAZH2:
All i will say about My situation and not mention the dealer as He is a very good man and I do not want to cause Him any problems

But, He and I approached STS to do R@D for H2. I would cover labor and asked STS several times to just furnish the parts. At the end STS would have had a H2 kit last summer.
The reply We got, was not going to do an H2 no market and then another response of not only are We not doing a kit for H2 We will never do one for H2 because there is not enough market there. My response was that Hummer owners spend more money to upgrade everything about their ride than most other vehicles on the road. They have the extra income to do that and that there is a market.

I was told that Your were covered up making
f body kits, did not have time to mess with it. The thing is We did not ask You to mess with it just willing provide the parts and I would cover R@D labor for the dealer. Seemed like a very fair deal to Me. I also offered to promote the turbo once i had it on for a little while to make sure all the bugs were worked out to where it would be a finished product.
So bottom line is I would have been running an STS system for a very long time by now. Instead I had a sponsor for My show H2 that furnished Me with a Magnuson supercharger to be recognised as a sponsor at shows because they saw how aggressive i was at winning whether I had sponsors or just spending My money. I would have had it on when I won the state Hummer title a while back. Not only could I have let the forum members know about it and many would have already been running STS as well but, I could have had every judge at every show looking at the STS system and not counting how many spectators would have been seeing it with a mirror underneath to show it off.

All i can say is it showed a narrow mind or tunnel vision a well as poor ability to judge a market and not taking advice from a person who knew what the market looked like.
That is all i will say as it is water under the bridge and I have moved on.
TAZ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Taz,

I apologize if that is the way it was communicated to you. The salesperson that covered your area is no longer with the company.

It was not communicated to me in the way you described. We do sell a universal kit and absolutely would have let you take on the project had I known the details.

We always knew there was a market for the H2, but we have limited resources and have to prioritize R&D projects.

Thanks,

Ben
Old 06-08-2005, 05:53 PM

h2turbo is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PARAGON:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Posted by Turbo H2:
With Jonahs, the only thing I will say is that oiling system was installed incorrectly. We've had many customers with the 6.0L engine running for over a year with no issues, including my truck, which was the first 6.0L truck. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Did you have to design the oiling system different for the H2 than from the other 6.0L trucks? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, the oiling system is the same.

Ben
Old 06-08-2005, 06:05 PM
Hummer Authority

Location: In da Chi! I am not only the originator of the H.O.A.B. club. I am also a member
Mr. I - Man is an unknown quantity at this point

Hell on the SUT you probably go through the bed and have almost a roof level snorkle set-up which would grab alot of cold air. Depending on the aerodynamics of the roof you could setup some kind of forced induction to make up for the pressure lost on the length of the snorkel tube.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:16 PM
Hummer Professional

Ben-

Thanks for the response. The dyno sheet looks promising. Although I hate to see a "one question answered, 2 more asked" thread happen, I would like to know how the auto tranny stayed in gear at full throttle w/o kicking down to the next lowest gear on the dyno run. If i give my H2 full throttle at 2400 rpm, it always kicks to the next lower gear.

Again, thanks for the info and Q/A session...

Want-08 Viper, 06 M5
Old 06-08-2005, 06:18 PM
Hummer Professional

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mr. I - Man:
Hell on the SUT you probably go through the bed and have almost a roof level snorkle set-up which would grab alot of cold air. Depending on the aerodynamics of the roof you could setup some kind of forced induction to make up for the pressure lost on the length of the snorkel tube. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You sir are one sick puppy ...You mean kinda like the old Pontiac Fiero GT scoop that mounted over the roofline to catch air into the mid-engine's air box?

Want-08 Viper, 06 M5
Old 06-08-2005, 06:29 PM
Hummer Authority

Location: In da Chi! I am not only the originator of the H.O.A.B. club. I am also a member

Na kinda like those Isuzu Box Trucks
Old 06-08-2005, 06:31 PM
Hummer Authority

Not sick at all, just sometimes I go off on Adderall induced tangents every once in awhile!