H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 06-14-2005, 06:24 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

The way STS has them desinged to fit way up inbetween the frame, building a cage just for the pointy rocks that could reach up in there would take care of any of those issues.
Now for the filtering. The dry sock on I feel the off-road H2 will not have problems with the filtering dirty air as has been reported from wet conditions. So I guess I'm saying install it, build a cage, and use the dry sock to filter more heavily and all will be well.
Where there is a will there is a way.
TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 06-14-2005, 03:55 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rich S.:
Not going with an STS since I actually take some of my vehicles off road. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Sounds like the best thing you've posted yet. Since you put a smiley in there, I'll stop here.

Taz, your probably right, a good cage attached to some very strong points on the chassis may do the trick. That and avoiding water.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:38 PM

h2turbo is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RLTAZH2:
Ben We will have to agree to disagree although I fail to see My position as being
unprofessional as alluded to in Your response to my mentioning the twin work which is contray to the STS FAQ. If I touched a nerve it is best to remember that i am a man that will spend money that i earned to prove my self right if provocted to do so. So do not imply I'm unprofessional if it hurt to bring up something that is an issue of STS not my issue. I just brought up what your statements on your website maitains which STS has apparently by the mention of a twin turbo now conflicts with Your mission statement and yes Your answers to a FAQ is a mission statement if You did not know that. I feel you should know that You have offended Me over your comment of unprofessionalism over a statement STS makes. I own as I told you before 5 large companies and did not get there by being unprofessional. I expect an appoligie in a cordial way and all is forgotten as far as I'm concerned. I already have had the feeling of not being treated with respect on past issues so i will not be disrespected in My club family. You came here to discuss your product We did not invite You. I have not been unprofesional in anyway unless your and My idea of it is totaly different. I had felt good with the way things were going until this acusation by you about me bringing up Your own website statements. Nothing was meant by that except something has changed. You say even a year ago you will not do something and turn around and do it etc. etc. etc.
I paid money for one of the best custom turbo builders in Texas to help Me to look into this exact topic and Your theory which is not dead is short concerning the making of a large turbo to spin up as fast as a small turbo. It lies in the basics of the operation of turbos. The big turbos can be made to spool up quicker by having them custom made to twist the exhaust fins to catch the exhaust in larger volume and that is what We are talking about when We discuss the STS is the fact that because the turbo is farther back there is less parasitic loss because the temp of the gas is cooler and denser. You cannot take a off the shelf turbo and compete with other off the shelf smaller turbo that is designed to spool quicker than the big turbo. You have to talk apples to apples and oranges to oranges. The larger turbo would have to be altered or placed in a situation where You would be able to intensify the density of the gases passing by it thusly a set of headers which i was told would not work but, hurt the system. Not true if You want to spool a large turbo sooner as You get more volume than with stock exhaust. Again the whole purpose of STS. Staying with the perameters of the STS philosophy of why You built the system you did, with a larger turbo maitaining it's ability to spool up at it predesigned factory design was do to the heavy more dense gases. That is going by the rules that STS has designed and won awards on. It will not operate as effeciently trying to make it spool up faster without altering the design of the turbo which defeats the idea behind STS and also runs the cost of turbo's up considerable if You have to have them special built and then more R@D. I did my research based on STS ideas and then went out and found that yes You could use smaller turbos with a denser flow of gas, and the small one will spool up quicker everytime as long as the STS philosophy is followed. When I went outside those guide lines I found that it would be economically unfeasible to try and redesign the large turbo to spool up as quickly as the off the shelf design twin smaller turbos. You have a valid point but, I feel from the experience of spending My own money and working with one of the very best custom turbo builders You are wrong on making a large turbo spool up as quickly as a small turbo without great alteration to the large turbo or running headers. So again We will have to agree to disagree. Ben I'm quite versed on turbo's because I spent allot of money learning about them when STS did not want to help me find a way to build a kit for H2's. But the twin deal was brought up by someone else and I had no entention of bringing it up myself except to be surprised that STS messed with twins when it states in the FAQ that it is not necessary and it would not be help. I proved to myself and have not every mentioned this research to anyone until now. I can say without a doubt the oldest members of this forum will tell You how thouroughly I research My ideas before I would even let someone else try them. I have many of the newer emebers PM Me wanting to get guidance on things. I have so many secret things going and KenP will vouch for that it would amase many who think I'm a country bumkin of which I am far from it but, yet know I can be wrong. Knowing that You can be wrong is the thing that keeps a sain man humble.
Thanks for Your time Ben let's just agree to disagree and leave it at that. There are many therories out there that most have not pressed to discover unless they spent money to do it. It does not bother Me becuase My mind is so curious. The investment will pay off for Me someday soon.
Thanks for Your time Ben and for having the guts to come on hear and try to clear a few things up. But, the short story is We are very loyal to each other here and sometimes do not even like each other. But, when We need to rally behind a member it is hard to get anywhere but, I do commend You for trying and expect a small appoligie.
TAZ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Taz,

My comment about keeping the thread professional was not directed to you. I apologize if you took it that way.

It was merely an attempt to keep the thread to questions and answers and not personal attacks.

The whole twin turbo question doesn't offend me and I don't see a conflict with our FAQ. If our customers demand twins or if the particular application is better suited to twins, then we'll do that. If it is better as a single, we'll go that route.

I can appreciate the loyalty of your club, but I see no reason to defend it. I have not attacked anyone in your club and have answered questions professionally when others have gone on the attack.

If the forum doesn't appreciate the effort and no one is interested in the products, that's fine. I'll cancel our sponsorship when it is due and we'll part ways.

I thought and still believe it is possible to look at each question and give people additional information.

Ben
Old 06-14-2005, 05:43 PM
Hummer Messiah

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ben:
For $5195 this system comes complete with tuning and fuel system upgrades. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I really need to be clear here. I like turbos and have talked to a couple of guys about doing a 750hp TT on my next H2 (whenever the heck that will be ) so don't think I'm knocking turbos.

There is atleast one person here that's gotten a Mag SC installed at a dealer with warranty for under 5k. So there two options in the 5k range for HUMMERS. I guess each person needs to decide what is the better fit for them.

I'd still like to see the picks of the rock rail modifications.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:49 PM
Hummer Messiah

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Posted by Ben:
I can appreciate the loyalty of your club, but I see no reason to defend it. I have not attacked anyone in your club and have answered questions professionally when others have gone on the attack.

If the forum doesn't appreciate the effort and no one is interested in the products, that's fine. I'll cancel our sponsorship when it is due and we'll part ways.

I thought and still believe it is possible to look at each question and give people additional information. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sorry Ben, you snuck that in when I was typing. I hope you don't think my questions are meant as an attack on you or your product. I have lots of questions that were not answered months ago by some considering the STS.

Most of us appreciate, very much, the efforts put forth by your company. It is a very unique product and I'm sure you'll sell many here.

Lastly, I for one, appreciate your answers. As I stated above, I have many questions. Well, really not anymore as you've answered all of them except one. The rock rails. I'm sure you'll get to that one when you can.

Thanks again for taking the time to help us out.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:54 PM

h2turbo is off the scale

As soon as we can get a H2 in here I'll post up the pics of the rail. We've got a busy couple of weeks ahead of our R&D guys, so it could be a while.

I agree that people need to do what is best for them. That is what makes the world go round.

The good thing, either way, we are talking about adding a lot more power to the H2, which is a heckuva lot of fun!

Ben
Old 06-14-2005, 05:57 PM

h2turbo is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenP:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Posted by Ben:

I thought and still believe it is possible to look at each question and give people additional information. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sorry Ben, you snuck that in when I was typing. I hope you don't think my questions are meant as an attack on you or your product. I have lots of questions that were not answered months ago by some considering the STS.

Most of us appreciate, very much, the efforts put forth by your company. It is a very unique product and I'm sure you'll sell many here.

Lastly, I for one, appreciate your answers. As I stated above, I have many questions. Well, really not anymore as you've answered all of them except one. The rock rails. I'm sure you'll get to that one when you can.

Thanks again for taking the time to help us out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

KenP

I did not feel like you were attacking the product. It is new and you've had valid questions. I'm sure the people on the forum who have read the thread appreciate you asking them.

Ben
Old 06-14-2005, 09:10 PM

h2turbo is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenP:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H2Turbo:
At the volumes that we could commit to the warranty was going to be too expensive. As our volumes increase, the price of the warranty will go down and we will start to offer it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>If you know the answer to this I'll be surprised, but I'll ask anyway because it just popped in my head. If I don't ask it'll drive me crazy. If someone has your setup installed now and a warranty becomes available later, will you make it available to them also? And lastly, using your current sales and install figures and future projections, how long until one is ready? Best guess?

Thanks again, Ben. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a good question. When I talk to the insurance company I'll ask them if we can sell a warranty to those systems that were already installed by authorized dealers.

Based on current projections, I would think that we'd have enough volume in 6 months. If things don't go as well as hoped, probably another year.

Ben
Old 06-16-2005, 02:36 AM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Damn, you been saving your words up? Glad to see you back. Can we expect more Taz-like posts.

What do you think about heat back at the rear diff in an off-road rock-crawly type situation. There will not be hardly any air flow since the truck will be barely moving but the truck will be loading up and working to make obstacles. Do you think heat would be an issue in those instances?
Old 06-16-2005, 02:50 AM

LasVegas is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Damn, you been saving your words up? Glad to see you back. Can we expect more Taz-like posts. Wink </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I was waiting for that. That's a valid question Paragon. I'm not a rock crawler so do you think a person would be on it hard enough to actually be in boost for any period of time? I don't know. But there's more clearance between the differential and turbo than the pictures indicate. And most of the heat goes up. You know the cat converters are just a few inchs from the floor of the H2 and they get very hot. I can't honestly answer your question except to say it wouldn't concern me if I were to go crawling.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:52 AM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LasVegas:
I was waiting for that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Nice to be predictable.

Do you hear the turbo whine when it has spooled up like one that's under the hood?

Do you know if the torque management is removed in the PCM tune?
Old 06-16-2005, 12:32 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PARAGON:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LasVegas:
I was waiting for that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Nice to be predictable.

Do you hear the turbo whine when it has spooled up like one that's under the hood?

Do you know if the torque management is removed in the PCM tune? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Oh yes. When you go into serious boost you hear the spool-up and the wastegate. The Nelso tune leaves the torque management in but from what I see in Dennis' post all you have to do is hit the tow/haul button to eliminate that.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:02 PM

A few other things I forgot to mention:

1. After removing the stock air filter box you have an abundance of room to mount other accessories under the hood.
2. You could get the kit less the injectors & tune and then buy the injectors yourself and have you're local speed shop do the tune. Probably save a net of about $400
3. I added a small inline oil filter to the return oil line. Probably not necessary but a nice precaution they should consider.
4. With all that water splashing on your air filter it should keep it nice and clean!
Old 06-16-2005, 11:24 PM

Camman is off the scale

Hey All,
I had the H2 into STS today for an upgrade with an Methonal System and also re-routed the air filter from the turbo. I noticed when the airfilter was moved the noise of the Turbo was much less. STS did a great job on the Methonal Kit, dropped the EGT's coming over the point of the mountain today by 200 degrees F. The advice for moving the air filter came from an earlier post on page 2, that was a good idea.......thanks. I don't have access to a good digital camera, but I think Ben from STS took some pictures of the rock-guard issue to be able to post. Sorry, my pics were too dark..........
I really like the turbo kit.........it is fun to get out of the way when you need to.......
One thing you may need to think about is the the exhaust noise..........if you like the sound of a good V8, this is a great options, if you want to sneak up on a deer while road hunting, may want to do something different.
Never meant to offend anybody about the oil, I was just stating a fact..........sorry!!!!!!
We need to all get along here................have an great night all.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:48 PM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

The Nelso tune leaves the torque management in but from what I see in Dennis' post all you have to do is hit the tow/haul button to eliminate that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey! Don't knock it!

That's ma po man's version of an SC. I'll be getting one soon.

My Video Collectionez

Old 06-17-2005, 03:29 AM
Hummer Authority

Call Nelson and if STS will allow it He will custom the PCM to suit Your needs better. It just depends if STS will mined or not. He most likely will send You a PCM changed and give you a core credit when He gets Your PCM back to Him.
He can do what ever You ask if within guidelines of STS.
TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 06-17-2005, 03:36 AM
Hummer Messiah

Methanol keeps creeping up. I may have to check it out.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:10 PM
Hummer Veteran

Lean Machine is off the scale

How susceptible is the STS Turbo Sysytem setup to water? If I run my H2 through an automated car wash and the undercarriage is washed with jets of water shooting straight up, could this cause water to be sucked up through the filter with this system in place? During heavy rain down pours, several streets near my house can't handle all of the water. I have driven down these streets during these down pours. Near the street gutters, the water just stands. I have hit these spots and so much water splashed up I couldn't see out of my widshield for a second or two. With the STS turbo system in place, whould this situation cause me a problem? I would hate to spend thousands of dollars on a performance product and be afraid to drive around in the rain.
Also do I understand this correctly. For the system to fit on a stock H2, you bend brackets, cut rock rails, etc. Was this sysytem not designed to fit in a H2? I always thought if something was designed for a particular use, it should fit without any additional modification. A stock STS system should fit a stock H2 without additional modification. You should not have to make it fit, it should fit when you buy it. Forgive me if my questions are rudimental. But it sounds a little like the STS H2 turbo system is not quite ready for mass production and distribution. Still has development issues for its designed use.
I'm intrigued by the STS turbo system, but there are so many issues.

\'08 H2 Lux White SUT with Sedona interior - SOLD

\'08 H2 Lux White SUT with Sedona interior and 6'' Fabtech Lift
Old 06-17-2005, 02:20 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lean Machine:
How susceptible is the STS Turbo Sysytem setup to water? If I run my H2 through an automated car wash and the undercarriage is washed with jets of water shooting straight up, could this cause water to be sucked up through the filter with this system in place? During heavy rain down pours, several streets near my house can't handle all of the water. I have driven down these streets during these down pours. Near the street gutters, the water just stands. I have hit these spots and so much water splashed up I couldn't see out of my widshield for a second or two. With the STS turbo system in place, whould this situation cause me a problem? I would hate to spend thousands of dollars on a performance product and be afraid to drive around in the rain.
Also do I understand this correctly. For the system to fit on a stock H2, you bend brackets, cut rock rails, etc. Was this sysytem not designed to fit in a H2? I always thought if something was designed for a particular use, it should fit without any additional modification. A stock STS system should fit a stock H2 without additional modification. You should not have to make it fit, it should fit when you buy it. Forgive me if my questions are rudimental. But it sounds a little like the STS H2 turbo system is not quite ready for mass production and distribution. Still has development issues for its designed use.
I'm intrigued by the STS turbo system, but there are so many issues. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I have the kit on my H2. I too run my rig through a car wash with the engine running and never had a problem. A simple splash guard would insure you of no problems. STS may be working on something like that. You do have to cut a bit of the rock rail bracket in one place to accomodate the pipe. No big deal. Other than that it's a straight forward installation and I love mine.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:54 PM
Hummer Authority

Ken looking into water/methanol injection now. See several I like. I have a forced induction guy who likes to use small amount of nitrous for cooling fuel and nitrous never gets into the cylinder as far as enough to get any power from it. Going to look at that but, most I have visited with likes the W/M injection.
The nitrous would be simpler to use so will give it a serious look. Set it up with bottle etc. and inject nitrous at WOT just like W/M.
TAZ