H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 07-05-2012, 04:32 AM
Hummer Veteran

Egan is on a distinguished road
Post Tranny cooler installation

Replacement transmission cooler:

If you?ve done any research on the forums you know the stock transmission cooling setup is less than ideal. The transmission fluid flows through the inside of the radiator and an external transmission cooler. Over time, the tubing in the radiator fails and transmission fluid mixes with coolant, and once it finds its way back to the tranny, kiss it goodbye. My plan was like many others: bypass the radiator completely and install a bigger, more efficient external cooler.

I bought my cooler from here. I got the one without the bypass since I live in Kalifornia and don?t have to deal with extreme cold: http://www.oregonperformancetransmis...Code=LNG-47391

There is really only one place the cooler can go and it is going to be a tight squeeze.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:32 AM
Hummer Veteran

Default Re: Tranny cooler installation

Step 1: remove the old cooler. I unbolted it and the cut the lines with a tubing cutter. The line that runs to the driver?s side was cut far out on that end to reduce the amount of hose I would need for the new cooler:

To make my life easier, I removed the airbox tube between the throttle body and filter. I also removed the passenger side fender liner.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:33 AM
Hummer Veteran

Step 2: Break apart the line that runs inside the radiator. I had to use my sawzall because I couldn’t get the tubing cutter to spin due to space restrictions. The circles are for the black tube at the top and the silver tube at the bottom.

Here’s where I cut the lower one. Just turn it up to keep the fluid from running out:

The other end of the cut will run to the cooler. The black tranny line you see runs straight to the driver’s side of the stock cooler and was cut in Step 1:

No pictures of the cut at the top, but it should be straight forward. I connected the two radiator cuts together with some of the hose that came with the new cooler. This step is not really necessary, but others had done it and it provides a clean installation.

Last edited by Egan : 07-05-2012 at 04:36 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:34 AM
Hummer Veteran

Step 3: Prep the new cooler by installing the NPTxbarb fittings:

Next, route the tubing to the new cooler location. The tube on the passenger side came from the lower cut shown in Step 2 and the tube on the driver?s side is connected to the end of the tubing that was cut in Step 1:

Old 07-05-2012, 04:35 AM
Hummer Veteran

Step 4: Pop the cooler in place and secure it to the body. I had it pushed all the way over until it hit the mount for the power steering cooler. I used a sheet metal screw on the driver?s side because the cooler bracket fit flush, but I had to use one of the included straps on the passenger side:

Old 07-05-2012, 04:36 AM
Hummer Veteran

Step 5: Close the hood and realize it won?t close! The cooler had to slide over towards the driver?s side by ? an inch or so. So I had to ?trim? the ps cooler bracket (thank you Mr. Dremel) to make it work. Fortunately, I didn?t have to redrill the hole on the driver?s side ? the bracket has 3 holes so I just used the one on the left instead of the one in the middle. For the passenger side, I added another hole and tweaked the bracket (it is what was hitting the hood):

Lastly, run the engine (after putting the airbox back together) and check for leaks.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:30 AM
Hummer Expert

pdxrealtor is on a distinguished road

Nice wright up...

Dude I warned in one of the recent threads the very issue you had. The hood not closing due to tight fit. Luckily I caught mine before things were bolted down. Sorry you didn't see it

For the power steering I just relocated the bottom mount (swung bottom towards driver side) and used a nut and bolt that came with the Trans cooler to secure it.

2006 HUMMER H2
MOOG Front End
Diablo InTune w/DiabLew Tune
Cognito Steering Support
OBX LT Headers
Air Raid Filter w/Tube
External Trans Cooler -Radiator Bypass
Corvette Servo
Rancho 9000 Adjustable Shocks-
Rancho Steering Stabilizer
20" Chrome Fuel Hostage - Cooper ST Maxx
Slotted Rotors/Ceramic pads/Steel Lines
Viper Smart Start
iPod/Video Interface
HID Head and Fog Lights
Optima Red Top w/ Priority Start Cut Off Mod
Old 07-05-2012, 02:17 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor
Nice wright up...

Dude I warned in one of the recent threads the very issue you had. The hood not closing due to tight fit. Luckily I caught mine before things were bolted down. Sorry you didn't see it

For the power steering I just relocated the bottom mount (swung bottom towards driver side) and used a nut and bolt that came with the Trans cooler to secure it.

I saw your post, but everything looked like it lined up perfectly. It wasn't off much so it was no big deal to fix. You can see where the hood was hitting if you look to the lower right of the last picture. Just above the bolt you'll see two small parallel scratches. It was really modifying the bracket that fixed it more than sliding the whole cooler towards the driver's side.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:40 PM
Hummer Novice

timmy1909 is on a distinguished road

I just ordered a Trans cooler from Flex-o-lite (4120) Overall dimensions of 7 1/2" x 20" x 3/4". It appears to be very close to the same dimensions as the Unit you are all using but it cost me $53 shipped from summit. Not as thick not as wide and not as tall... but I don't tow anything with my H2... I just dont want to have coolant mix with the trans fluid... I will install it this weekend and let you know if it works. I have noted my currant trans temps and will see if there is any difference.

New to the Forum by the way... just bought my 03 H2 this week... So far I love it!!! have been trolling around here to get some Ideas and came across the stock trans cooler issue. I work at a GM dealership and the Techs there never heard of that issue... but they are going to pass it along to their H2 customers.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:30 AM
Hummer Expert

LoJac963 is on a distinguished road

^that's a good point, anything aftermarket I'm sure will work better than the tiny radiator integrated cooler. IMO it would be much much easier to buy a little smaller of a cooler and not worry about moving brackets, drilling holes, hood clearance etc.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:48 PM
Hummer Veteran

SummitUp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan
If you?ve done any research on the forums you know the stock transmission cooling setup is less than ideal. The transmission fluid flows through the inside of the radiator and an external transmission cooler.
Egan, what year is your H2? My '05 didn't ship from the factory with an external tranny cooler.

Also when I installed my cooler I removed the tranny lines from the radiator (you just remove a retaining clip and they come right out) instead of cutting them. I then plugged the holes in the radiator with brass plugs instead of joining the upper and lower cut connections with a hose. Even neater still.
'05 H2 Lux, 37" KM2's on 17" Hutchinson Double Beadlocks, Cognito UCA's, Cognito Sway Bar Links, Custom Hydro-Assist Steering Upgrade, Eaton Front Differential Locker, 1" Rear Coil Spacers, Chevy Green Key Torsion Bar "Lift," Bilstein Shocks, Warn 9.5ti Multimount Winch, Dual Optima Yellow Top Battery's, Piaa & Hella Off-road lights, Gobi Rack, Tru-cool External Transmission Oil Cooler, Diablo Predator Hi-Octane Tune.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:33 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitUp
Egan, what year is your H2? My '05 didn't ship from the factory with an external tranny cooler.

Also when I installed my cooler I removed the tranny lines from the radiator (you just remove a retaining clip and they come right out) instead of cutting them. I then plugged the holes in the radiator with brass plugs instead of joining the upper and lower cut connections with a hose. Even neater still.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:14 PM
Hummer Novice

timmy1909 is on a distinguished road

I got my Flex-O-lite 4120 Trans cooler installed today... Very easy to do but I must stress how important it is to Flare the lines that are going to the trans cooler. it is very easy to do and the Flare tool is only $10 at your local autozone. Also when you run your lines make sure that any line (rubber or metal) that touches anything metal... make sure that you cover it with something. I just cut open some 3/8 rubber line and put it over the line that comes in contact and chaffe against anything.

Trans temps after an hour of driving in city and highway are below what they were since I got the H2. This cooler is rated for 20,000 lbs GVRW the H2 weighs in at 8000 lbs give or take so that means with this cooler you could tow an additional 12k I do not plan on doing that so I think I am set. I will however get the bypass because here in Wisconsin we get some cold temps.

Here are the completed pics of the FAL 4120 that I got for $53 shipped from summit and comes with everything needed for the install. Minus the tube cutter and Flaring tool.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:43 AM
Hummer Expert

LoJac963 is on a distinguished road

looks good, nice work. I was waiting to see someone use the zips that go through the radator/condenser to secure the ext cooler.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:11 PM
Hummer Novice

chris4851 is on a distinguished road

I will be installing a tranny cooler soon. I had a couple questions before I placed the order. I live in Massachusetts, would you recommend the bypass? What exactly is the benifit of the bypass? Even if you live in a vey cold climate is there a downside not having the bypass?

I was looking into purchasing the Flex-a-lite 4120, how has this cooler been working out?
Old 02-01-2013, 08:04 PM
Hummer Veteran

SummitUp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4851
I will be installing a tranny cooler soon. I had a couple questions before I placed the order. I live in Massachusetts, would you recommend the bypass? What exactly is the benifit of the bypass? Even if you live in a vey cold climate is there a downside not having the bypass?

I was looking into purchasing the Flex-a-lite 4120, how has this cooler been working out?
I can't speak for the the Flex-a-lite 4120 as I purchased the Tru-Cool Max cooler. I live at 9000ft. elevation in the Colorado Rockies (yeah, it gets real cold here on occasion!), so I ordered my cooler with the bypass option. The bypass is supposed to work in the same way the coolant thermostat in your engine works, i.e. it wont open to allow free flow of tranny fluid until the tranny has reached operating temperature.

However... I had nothing but problems with the bypass on my cooler. Tranny usually ran way too hot, so much so I thought the bypass unit was defective so I ordered a replacement. The replacement bypass unit wasn't any different and the tranny temps were still way too high even in cold weather so I re-plumbed my cooler without the bypass and never looked back.

Yes on really cold days it takes much longer for the tranny to "warm up" but in my case I never take my H2 on short trips so it doesn't really matter to me. What does matter to me is I wheel my "Deuce" hard on trails in Moab often in hot weather conditions so I need maximum flow of tranny fluid through the cooler and that isn't going to happen with the restriction the bypass unit places in the circuit.

Just my $.02
'05 H2 Lux, 37" KM2's on 17" Hutchinson Double Beadlocks, Cognito UCA's, Cognito Sway Bar Links, Custom Hydro-Assist Steering Upgrade, Eaton Front Differential Locker, 1" Rear Coil Spacers, Chevy Green Key Torsion Bar "Lift," Bilstein Shocks, Warn 9.5ti Multimount Winch, Dual Optima Yellow Top Battery's, Piaa & Hella Off-road lights, Gobi Rack, Tru-cool External Transmission Oil Cooler, Diablo Predator Hi-Octane Tune.

Last edited by SummitUp : 02-01-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:18 PM
Hummer Novice

I pulled the car in the garage this weekend to have a look at the bypass procedure before I purchased everything. I have a 2005 H2 and noticed that I already have a stock external tranny cooler. Is there any reason not to just bypass the radiator and still use the stock tranny cooler?
Old 02-11-2013, 04:23 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitUp
Not possible. H2's never had factory installed external transmission coolers. If you do have an external tranny cooler than it was installed as an after market add on by the previous owner. Is it possible your thinking the power steering cooler is a tranny cooler?

It would be great if you would post a pic of this "stock external tranny cooler".

It's that thing in Step 1 above (post #2).
Cognito UCA's
Kryptonite Tie Rods
Kryptonite Swaybar End Links
Traxda Keys
Traxda Rear Coil Spacers
Bilstein Shocks
TruCool Tranny Cooler
Corvette Servo
Gobi Ranger Roof Rack
Gobi Bed Rack
Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT: Nav, Bluetooth, iPOD, Backup Camera
Valentine 1 w/ Blend Mount
ATX Artillery 17x9 Teflon
Toyo Open Country MT 37x13.5x17
Old 02-11-2013, 04:37 PM
Hummer Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan
It's that thing in Step 1 above (post #2).

Correct. What is the cooler in Step 1 above, which is attached to the two vertical brackets? I believe the power steering cooler is to the right of this cooler. Also behind this cooler is another cooler then the radiator. What are they all for?
Old 02-11-2013, 05:28 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4851
Correct. What is the cooler in Step 1 above, which is attached to the two vertical brackets? I believe the power steering cooler is to the right of this cooler. Also behind this cooler is another cooler then the radiator. What are they all for?

Cognito UCA's
Kryptonite Tie Rods
Kryptonite Swaybar End Links
Traxda Keys
Traxda Rear Coil Spacers
Bilstein Shocks
TruCool Tranny Cooler
Corvette Servo
Gobi Ranger Roof Rack
Gobi Bed Rack
Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT: Nav, Bluetooth, iPOD, Backup Camera
Valentine 1 w/ Blend Mount