H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 05-14-2013, 03:24 AM
Hummer Professional

iwillnc is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tranny cooler installation

How much fluid did you guys have to add to the system?
Old 05-22-2013, 01:52 AM
Hummer Professional

For goodness sakes, I'll be the beta tester then, I have the tru-cool in the backseat, but being worried about the A/C condensor flow, and the fact I feel 120 is waaay to low, I'm going to try using the factory cooler

As is my tranny never goes above 180, And I would be very happy at that temp as 175 is considered optimal tranny temp from what I see.

I don't want to regret spending $150 on a radiator, but I would be very happy if this worked.
But seriously the stock cooler is not THAT small.

Also if you never get it up to temperature it won't be able to get rid of the moisture in the transmission fluid, as well as it won't allow the TC to lock up as it's suppose to.

Last edited by iwillnc : 05-22-2013 at 02:05 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:48 AM
Hummer Expert

LoJac963 is on a distinguished road

valid points, I think as I mentioned before (pretty sure) just bypassing the radiator and using the stock external cooler should suffice. I need to do that myself because all the bad stores of antifreeze and tranny fluid mixing scares me lol
Old 05-25-2013, 02:14 PM

jsbihn is on a distinguished road

Have any of those who have just used the stock external cooler to bypass the "mix" have anything to report back on this?
How are the temps?
Is the cooler shown in the 2 page of this thread by Hellz actually the tranny cooler for the 03 also?

I am looking to do this and right now I want to just make sure I avoid the "mix"

I figure afterwards if I need more cooling or something, I can replace it but for now I want to make sure it is taken out of the loop.

Last edited by jsbihn : 05-25-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:38 AM

anyone do the bypass just using the stock cooler? and is the cooler that Hellz has pictured the tranny cooler?
Like he said, I would hate to bypass it and it turn out to be something else.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:23 AM
Hummer Expert

Hellz is on a distinguished road

thats whats it says when im driving.
thats if it even warms up to that.. most of the time it is just barely above the 100 mark
4.88 gears *** Cognito UCA & SwayBar Links *** Kryptonite tie rods *** K&N CAI *** 37x12.50xR20 BFG KM2 Mud Terrain's *** 20x10 Black KMC Rockstars *** EBC Slotted Rotors *** N-FAB Sidesteps *** Line-X Grill *** Recon Smoke Cab Lights ***Diablo Predator U7193
Old 05-26-2013, 12:06 PM

Hellz, are you saying
yes the picture you showed in the previous page is the stock tranny cooler
and
yes you did the bypass while using the stock tranny cooler and all is well

I want to make sure I am positive on this before I start cutting lines

Last edited by jsbihn : 05-26-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:54 PM
Hummer Expert

rip that crap out!

just follow the 2 lines from that OEM cooler back to the radiator, and cut them.
pull the OEM cooler out and install the new one.
cap the lines going into the radiator as it will save cleanup time later down the line for you.

it is fairly easy and simple
4.88 gears *** Cognito UCA & SwayBar Links *** Kryptonite tie rods *** K&N CAI *** 37x12.50xR20 BFG KM2 Mud Terrain's *** 20x10 Black KMC Rockstars *** EBC Slotted Rotors *** N-FAB Sidesteps *** Line-X Grill *** Recon Smoke Cab Lights ***Diablo Predator U7193
Old 05-26-2013, 04:40 PM

Hellz,
I understand that.
BUT when I can get the new cooler and when I can put it in are the issue right now.

This is why I am asking if anyone did what was talking about.
Using the OEM cooler (if thats what that is shown in your picture page 2 of this post) to still cool the trans.

I know it isnt a great fix for it, but it is something I can do now so that when I am on the road back and forth to work, I dont have to worry about my tranny going kaboom until the aftermarket cooler comes in.

I mean my way of thinking is... what if I ordered the cooler today and it doesnt come in til next week... what good does it do me if today or tomorrow my tranny is grenaded by the "mix".
So I am trying to bandaid it until I can get it fixed right.

If that cooler in your picture is the tranny cooler, please let me know and if it worked (and "worked" meaning... the temps didnt get too hot after the bypass and it still had coolant flow)

thanks
Old 05-26-2013, 07:53 PM
Hummer Professional

Although I'm in this same dumb boat "**** aint happened in the last 10 years of its life but now that I'm concerned about it, it will definitely happen anytime in the next hour drive" state-of-mind as you are, I'm fairly certain that stock cooler is more than efficient unless you do Moab every week.

The part that goes into the radiator is kinda like a thermostat, in the winter it helps warm up the fluid before it enters the trans. In all honesty I can't see how you wouldn't be fine with just the stock minus coolant radiator bypass.

I have the exact radiator kit as the author sitting in my garage, but the more I think about it the worse it sounds to install.

Proper transmission temps are between 160-190.
This is also the temp the computer expects the transmission to run at, else it will keep cycling the transmission as if it is cold to protect it.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:57 PM
Hummer Professional

I keep making plans to do it, but I'm going to try to get it today or perhaps tomorrow depending on what I'm doing.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:16 PM
Hummer Expert

ya i suppose you could go pick up some tranny hose from teh auto store and bypass the radiator witht eh stock cooler... i cant say how it will perform for you though, but yes, it will prevent the coolant mix.. but at the same time it might raise your temps enough that it cooks your tranny too....

i just dont have an answer for you on that... but by passing it.. yes you can do it.

check with your autoparts store, they may have one thats in stock, or that will fit. reeally, all that matters is if it will fit in the frame.. it doesnt matter the brand or anything. hell, even the fittings dont matter as you will connect it with rubber hose and clamps.. so you can also do a adapter if need be.

i got mine in less than a week when i ordered it.
took me about 2 hours, and i had minimal tools as i was in Reno for a Military school... thats how limited it was. i used vice grips to cut the lines..

in a home enviroment with tools...i would say about an hour give or take
Old 05-27-2013, 11:08 PM
Hummer Professional

Update, I've done the loop to stock cooler avg temp is 178 so far has got up to 185.

Outdoor temperature is about 80 F

At the moment I can't say whether this is a success or failure, although its leaning toward a failure, I'll know for sure when the outdoor temps hit 95+
I'd like some wiggle room on the temp, I'm sure the stock would be fine if your max temp was 70, but I'm not sold on it as is.

If at any point the temp hits 200 then I will be putting on my aftermarket cooler.

Driving varies between in town to country roads

If my max temp when outdoor temp gets to 90+, never goes above 190 then ill be adding a deeper pan, I haven't been offroad yet but I'm sure it would get hot

Quite honestly I never paid much attention to the trans before other than periodically checking it wasn't above 200, so if these numbers are normal, I can't say.

Last edited by iwillnc : 05-27-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:20 AM
Hummer Veteran

ryaleon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwillnc
If at any point the temp hits 200 then I will be putting on my aftermarket cooler.

Be ready to change it. I did the loop with stock cooler and yeah temps will reach much higher than 200. Especially on the highway. I then installed a slightly larger than stock cooler. It was a flexolite. Don't remember the model. It kept temps generally in the 200-215 range. Still too warm for me. Put the trucool and now its fine. 150-155 degrees.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:13 AM
Hummer Professional

Well dern ryaleon, I was hoping someone with experience would have spoken up BEFORE I looped it.

I still don't know how I got the cuts on my hands, but I have plenty of blood in my engine compartment from today.

Don't look forward to going at it again, but w/e
Old 05-28-2013, 02:38 AM
Hummer Veteran

Sorry about that bud didn't see your plea for help. Oh well we live and learn. I did it 3 times as I said. Gave me lots of cuts! Come to think of it the Hummer has given me tons of cuts.

Last edited by ryaleon : 05-28-2013 at 02:44 AM.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:23 AM
Hummer Professional

Is your A/C any worse off from having less flow?
Old 05-28-2013, 05:46 AM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
Update, I've done the loop to stock cooler avg temp is 178 so far has got up to 185.

Outdoor temperature is about 80 F

At the moment I can't say whether this is a success or failure, although its leaning toward a failure, I'll know for sure when the outdoor temps hit 95+
I'd like some wiggle room on the temp, I'm sure the stock would be fine if your max temp was 70, but I'm not sold on it as is.

Driving varies between in town to country roads

If my max temp when outdoor temp gets to 90+, never goes above 190 then ill be adding a deeper pan, I haven't been offroad yet but I'm sure it would get hot

Quite honestly I never paid much attention to the trans before other than periodically checking it wasn't above 200, so if these numbers are normal, I can't say.

so if you have a aftermarket cooler.. why **** around with the OEM one?
i spent $5k for a new tranny.... granted i could have gotten a cheaper one.. but still.. if you want to possibly fry it.. knock yourself out.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:16 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Is your A/C any worse off from having less flow?
Ac is fine. Everything is fine. No issues with the trucool.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:43 PM
Hummer Professional

Hell, your missing my point, I don't live where min yearly temps are 60, it can get around 18 here( which is in fact cold here)
A transmission that's too cold is not good for wear or dare I even say, efficiency.
Your missing this.

Also you can pickup a brand new tranny for 2600 + 100 jack, hope you got a lot of mods.

But yes the trucool will be goin on next