H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 05-12-2004, 02:18 PM
Hummer Guru

BKLYNH2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ditto what longhorn said.
One need only look at all the stories and photos on this site to confirm that the H2 is extremely capable and durable.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:18 PM
Hummer Guru

BKLYNH2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ditto what longhorn said.
One need only look at all the stories and photos on this site to confirm that the H2 is extremely capable and durable.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:30 PM

Detonate is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LonghornRockcrawler:
Maybe you got a lemon? Maybe the lift is to blame? Maybe you have a heavy right foot? Perhaps you are the worst H2 pilot ever ? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Exactly. If driven correctly, these things just don't magically break.

You should know before hand how high the risk is of something breaking.

When I broke my front differential, before I even attempted to bump the ledge, I knew there was a chance something was going to break if the front end bounced. And it did.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:30 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LonghornRockcrawler:
Maybe you got a lemon? Maybe the lift is to blame? Maybe you have a heavy right foot? Perhaps you are the worst H2 pilot ever ? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Exactly. If driven correctly, these things just don't magically break.

You should know before hand how high the risk is of something breaking.

When I broke my front differential, before I even attempted to bump the ledge, I knew there was a chance something was going to break if the front end bounced. And it did.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:49 PM
Hummer Professional

HummerLV is off the scale

check to see if your area has a lemon law on the books, here in NV our lemon law is quite extensive.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:49 PM
Hummer Professional

HummerLV is off the scale

check to see if your area has a lemon law on the books, here in NV our lemon law is quite extensive.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:59 AM

Bad Dawg is off the scale

I hear what you guys are saying. After the first breakage we realized we could not drive the H2 like all the other rigs we have had in the past. "Slow" is the key word here for the H2 and the front end it has. So, all outings since then have been slow going, with the other H2's in the group. This time out the wife was driving and being spotted by the dealer's reps at the time, going as slow as all the other rigs before her. A couple of bounces later, pow, bent tie rod. The dealer even said we were going slow. Could it be the lift? Maybe, but a 4" lift isn't extreme and if it is for the H2 then the H2's front end is at the edge of it's window for being able to handle off road playing. It was even suggested that the MTR tires, because of the more agressive tread, was to blame! We aren't crazy, extreme four wheelers (we save that for our Mud Drags). I have been reading on here for a couple of years now how a lot of stock rigs have also been bending tie rods and blowing out their front ends. Is ours a lemon? I don't think so, a bent tie rod doesn't make it a lemon. Besides, because we have a lift we would never win that battle. Someone suggested we carry spare tie rods with us, because H2's bend them so much you can expect it to happen to you at some point. Seems like a strange thing to have to do for mild 4 wheeling. If I have some tougher tie rods built (we have an NHRA chassis builder here who built our racing rigs roll cage) then Hummer will certainly write off any coverage for swaping out their parts.
Speaking of that sort of thing, I got a call back from Hummer last night and they said: "It is Hummer's policy to NOT warrentee ANY damage from off road driving, even if it is an H2 sanctioned event. Any damage is concidered road hazard". Hmmm. I wish there had been a sign on the H2 warning buyers that if the H2 is ever taken off road they will not stand behind their product.
The easy answer here is that it's all my fault because of the 4" lift and 37" tires. The H2 has no problems. It's just me.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:59 AM

Bad Dawg is off the scale

I hear what you guys are saying. After the first breakage we realized we could not drive the H2 like all the other rigs we have had in the past. "Slow" is the key word here for the H2 and the front end it has. So, all outings since then have been slow going, with the other H2's in the group. This time out the wife was driving and being spotted by the dealer's reps at the time, going as slow as all the other rigs before her. A couple of bounces later, pow, bent tie rod. The dealer even said we were going slow. Could it be the lift? Maybe, but a 4" lift isn't extreme and if it is for the H2 then the H2's front end is at the edge of it's window for being able to handle off road playing. It was even suggested that the MTR tires, because of the more agressive tread, was to blame! We aren't crazy, extreme four wheelers (we save that for our Mud Drags). I have been reading on here for a couple of years now how a lot of stock rigs have also been bending tie rods and blowing out their front ends. Is ours a lemon? I don't think so, a bent tie rod doesn't make it a lemon. Besides, because we have a lift we would never win that battle. Someone suggested we carry spare tie rods with us, because H2's bend them so much you can expect it to happen to you at some point. Seems like a strange thing to have to do for mild 4 wheeling. If I have some tougher tie rods built (we have an NHRA chassis builder here who built our racing rigs roll cage) then Hummer will certainly write off any coverage for swaping out their parts.
Speaking of that sort of thing, I got a call back from Hummer last night and they said: "It is Hummer's policy to NOT warrentee ANY damage from off road driving, even if it is an H2 sanctioned event. Any damage is concidered road hazard". Hmmm. I wish there had been a sign on the H2 warning buyers that if the H2 is ever taken off road they will not stand behind their product.
The easy answer here is that it's all my fault because of the 4" lift and 37" tires. The H2 has no problems. It's just me.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:23 PM
Hummer Guru

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like the H2 is not for you. No big deal, just sell it and get something that IS for you.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:23 PM
Hummer Guru

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like the H2 is not for you. No big deal, just sell it and get something that IS for you.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:25 PM

If your front end is bouncing, you are doing something wrong.

Try airing down more and using slow steady pressure on the gas pedal, and if you feel it getting bouncing, just back off.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:25 PM

If your front end is bouncing, you are doing something wrong.

Try airing down more and using slow steady pressure on the gas pedal, and if you feel it getting bouncing, just back off.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:33 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jnsfox:
I've seen H2's with 37's bounce with no problem <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It might have just been no apparent problem. I didn't realize I had bent my tie rods till weeks later, because the bend was so slight. However the Pitman arm issues are normally pretty apparent rather quickly.

Anytime your front end bounces your wheels pick up speed, and upon touch down all of that torque is transfered somewhere. Whether it be through your tie rods, pitman arms, front diff... Something always has to give.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:33 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jnsfox:
I've seen H2's with 37's bounce with no problem <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It might have just been no apparent problem. I didn't realize I had bent my tie rods till weeks later, because the bend was so slight. However the Pitman arm issues are normally pretty apparent rather quickly.

Anytime your front end bounces your wheels pick up speed, and upon touch down all of that torque is transfered somewhere. Whether it be through your tie rods, pitman arms, front diff... Something always has to give.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:37 PM

SunsetShannon is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It is Hummer's policy to NOT warrentee ANY damage from off road driving, even if it is an H2 sanctioned event. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
This is not entirely true... at all National Hummer Club events there is a parts trailer dedicated to the H2s. Mechanics are on hand to work on repairing damage incurred while on the trails! The cover us at the Hummer Club events the same way they've always covered the H1s

Hummer Club Events Link
http://www.geocities.com/rottinmom/index.html
Viva la E.C.H.O.!
Old 05-13-2004, 12:37 PM

SunsetShannon is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It is Hummer's policy to NOT warrentee ANY damage from off road driving, even if it is an H2 sanctioned event. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
This is not entirely true... at all National Hummer Club events there is a parts trailer dedicated to the H2s. Mechanics are on hand to work on repairing damage incurred while on the trails! The cover us at the Hummer Club events the same way they've always covered the H1s

Hummer Club Events Link
http://www.geocities.com/rottinmom/index.html
Viva la E.C.H.O.!
Old 05-13-2004, 01:54 PM

You still have to pay for the parts though.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:54 PM

You still have to pay for the parts though.