H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 12-13-2006, 01:56 PM
Hummer Professional

HUM GOOD has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Trans cooler bursts!

I own a 2005 H2 - with 58,000 miles
Here's the deal: Engine running great. I feel a slip in the trans shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Then notice antifreeze pouring out the overflow. I shut down the truck and had it towed to the dealer. The diagnosis is: The trans cooler bursted in the radiator mixing the antifreeze into the trans and blowing the trans. They say the entire cooling system needs to be changed, rad, hoses, clamps, heater core, etc. and then the trans plus the trans cooling system. cost $7600 AAGH!

The H2 is out of warranty. I called corporate and they are investigating the issue. The truck has never been in the dealer for any repairs. All maintenence has been done by me. Oil changes, greasing (the basics).
Corporate has been investigating for 1 week now because they claim that if the truck was taken to the dealer for maintainence this may have been avoided. I think this is bull**** and sounds like a part failure to me.

The truck has some mods: Intake, borla cat-back exhaust, shift kit and diablo programmer.

Wondering if anyone else has had a similiar situation. Also any feedback is appreciated.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:30 PM
Hummer Authority

Big Z has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Re: Trans cooler bursts!

Shift Kit?....investigation will probably end there!

Quote:

if the truck was taken to the dealer for maintainence this may have been avoided.

Like it or not, this is most likely true!

Doesn't sound like you had ANY of the Required Maintainence Done!...Like the Transmission!

Last edited by Big Z : 12-13-2006 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:57 PM
Hummer Expert

Dug is off the scale

Humgood- I would flush everything real ,real, real good and give it a try . You have nothing to lose if the tranny slips rebuild it. I would even use the old radiator again. Just use a external tranny cooler this time. Obviously this is a cheap fix and what i would do. But where your rig is so new you might want to do all new parts. Sorry about your problem , and good luck. doug
Old 12-13-2006, 06:13 PM
Hummer Veteran

AK47 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Trans cooler bursts!

Hey dont like the sound of that ,what can you do to avoid this , i would rather spend 500 bucks now than a few thousand later , nasty

www.euroco-corp.com

http://www.hummertruckworld.com/EUROCO/

Old 12-13-2006, 06:20 PM
Hummer Professional

Thanks guys for all your attention.

Just got off the phone with the GM at the dealer that did the diagnosis.
He says he got me $4000 from Hummer corp. And now he will be able to bring my side down considerable. It seems like the GM was at bat for me. He has a radiator on the floor which will give me for have price. All hoses must be replaced because the trans fluid will eat the rubber. As for the core, flushing is sufficient. He suggested a brandie new transmission. The trans would have to be torn down completely and then rebuild, he says the difference would be about $1000 for the new one. And the new trans comes with a 3 years 100,000 mile waranty - that right there is worth the $1000 bucks.
So I have chose to stick with him and have the dealer do the repair. Seems as though it will cost me out of pocket tops $2000.

$2000 - New radiator with trans cooler, all new hoses, brand new trans with warranty. Flushing the systems with all new fluids. Seems reasonable to me.

On my own I will disconnect the internal trans cooler and run a larger external cooler:

Quote:

quote PhilD:
This is quite common, you'll often hear references of Pepto Bismol, as that is what it looks like afterwards. I bypassed the tranny cooler section of the main radiator sometime ago to avoid this.

What cooler did u use?
Old 12-13-2006, 08:44 PM
Hummer Veteran

Yes if you have some details on this and any photos i will do the same

www.euroco-corp.com

Old 12-14-2006, 12:48 AM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD
I used a Hayden 405 Ultra Cool, but Michael Baker found a better one, Tru-Cool MAX transmission cooler #4739-1. You basically want the biggest one you can fit in.

Good news about GM footing some of the bill.

Thanks for the info.; I will be adding a external cooler as soon as it is returned.

No doubt on the $$$ thing. Plus a tranny with a 3 yr 100,000 mile warranty. I'll take that.

I also have spoke with many, and a tech from a delaer says keep an eye out for a recall....if one pops up, I can get re-embursed for the entire job - being it is recorded and repaired by the dealer.

Good thing I kept my cool and let this roll it's own way.

I'll post all info and some pics up when I do the trans cooler externally, for all that need it. I am home for the holidays so more than likely have this completed before the 1st of the New Year.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:09 AM
Hummer Veteran

ROADCAPT is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the heads up on the tranny cooler and the potentual problem!! Just ordered a coolmax cooler #47391 from Bulkpart.com $115.00 shipped. will do this mod asap as I live in FL. My new to me 03 has 45.000 on her now and just starting to pull it all togeather for some trail time.

Thanks again for the Great Info.

Be Safe
Old 12-14-2006, 05:57 PM
Hummer Veteran

HI ROADCAPT

Could you please take some photos of your cooler make dimensions etc , being over here in Czech Republic i need to so some pics and measurements so i can order one up

thanx

www.euroco-corp.com

Old 12-14-2006, 06:13 PM
Hummer Veteran

Hi Guys just so i know i am ordering the right one its this one yes ?

Tru-Cool MAX transmission cooler *WITHOUT external thermal bypass

Code: 4739-1

Tru-Cool # LPD47391 40,000 GVW rating, 45,000 BTU rating
8 1/2 x 22 3/4 x 1 1/4 inch
3/8 inverter flare (fittings are included for thread to hose barbs)
WITHOUT external thermal bypass. Lower cost for locations where there are mild winters!
the thing is i have bad winters and hot summers as well will this matter

www.euroco-corp.com

Old 12-19-2006, 08:29 AM
Hummer Veteran

La.Swamp Lobster is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUM GOOD
I own a 2005 H2 - with 58,000 miles
Here's the deal: Engine running great. I feel a slip in the trans shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Then notice antifreeze pouring out the overflow. I shut down the truck and had it towed to the dealer. The diagnosis is: The trans cooler bursted in the radiator mixing the antifreeze into the trans and blowing the trans. They say the entire cooling system needs to be changed, rad, hoses, clamps, heater core, etc. and then the trans plus the trans cooling system. cost $7600 AAGH!

The H2 is out of warranty. I called corporate and they are investigating the issue. The truck has never been in the dealer for any repairs. All maintenence has been done by me. Oil changes, greasing (the basics).
Corporate has been investigating for 1 week now because they claim that if the truck was taken to the dealer for maintainence this may have been avoided. I think this is bull**** and sounds like a part failure to me.

The truck has some mods: Intake, borla cat-back exhaust, shift kit and diablo programmer.

Wondering if anyone else has had a similiar situation. Also any feedback is appreciated.

Had the same problem...Thank God for extended warranty...it covered it all...rebuilt transmission, rental car for 2 weeks, and my dealer even paided my deductable...only one problem...the extended warranty would not pay to replace the overflow bottle, so even after flushing it 3 times, there is still transmission fuild in the rad....the honeycomb core of the overflow bottle doesn't allow for a total system flush.....make sure they replace yours!....good luck!....i will be putting an ext. cooler on first chance i get!
Old 12-19-2006, 02:21 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by La.Swamp Lobster
Had the same problem...Thank God for extended warranty...it covered it all...rebuilt transmission, rental car for 2 weeks, and my dealer even paided my deductable...only one problem...the extended warranty would not pay to replace the overflow bottle, so even after flushing it 3 times, there is still transmission fuild in the rad....the honeycomb core of the overflow bottle doesn't allow for a total system flush.....make sure they replace yours!....good luck!....i will be putting an ext. cooler on first chance i get!

Thanks for the heads up on the overflow bottle.

This seems to be a very common problem......i would think a recall is in order here!
Old 12-21-2006, 02:23 AM
Hummer Veteran

ROADCAPT is on a distinguished road

AK47 Yes that is the right part Number however you will need the trans bypass system in you area. It allows cold fluid to bypass the cooler till it warms up. Need the bypass at below 32F. I have a write up on the install over on the H2 forum.

Be Safe
Old 12-21-2006, 04:44 PM
Hummer Veteran

pdsq99f4 is on a distinguished road

I would have them replace the water pump gaskets while they are in there. Have seen them fail shortly after due to the atf eating them away.