H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > General Hummer Talk > Local Events and Activities

Old 07-07-2006, 11:19 PM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rubicon 7/21-23

OK.....who's still going in spite of "you know who" and you know who else?

Bebe
Sewie
Bully's
BABHUMV
Neocon?

RUBICON BABY!
Old 07-08-2006, 01:42 AM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Rubicon 7/21-23

I guess I'm in.

Old 07-08-2006, 01:50 AM
Hummer Professional

H2 BULLY is on a distinguished road

I might go, but just for Sat the 22nd. Let me know were to meet up. Bully 13 can play sick no more!!
Old 07-08-2006, 05:29 PM
Hummer Guru

http://www.rubicon-trail.com/public/HummerH3/

A link to some H3 on the Rubicon pics
Old 07-08-2006, 05:35 PM
Hummer Guru

Make sure you note the slight damage to the trucks. We are running the whole trail. Just be ready for some owies.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:18 PM
Hummer Guru

Not sue if this early in the year the 2's can get by with out some dents here and there.

Had dinner w/Cranky Steve, he's a little concerned about the 2's. But if anyone wants to ride along???Saddle up!
Old 07-10-2006, 04:39 PM
Hummer Professional

31_bandits is on a distinguished road

what does time of year have to do with it? Who's cranky steve? lol

has anybody taken a 2 down the rubi? i did read one jeeper site that mentioned that in a cuople spots long wheelbase vehicles might have some trouble with tight turns.

i figure i can have my truck re-painted once a year and not worry about it too much, but that might be where i draw the line.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:13 PM
Hummer Guru

Well, with a late snow melt, and with the amount of snow this year, the trail is really rough. Large amounts of snow tend to act like glaciers, and move rocks into the trail. It's not until about 10,000 people have gone through the trail that allot of it gets moved.

It can be easier later in the year. CAN BE.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:19 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummBebe
It can be easier later in the year. CAN BE.
Funny how 3bies think like that.
Better bring 3-4 cases of bug spray or the skeeters will drain you dry.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:29 PM
Hummer Professional

H2 BULLY is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Not sue if this early in the year the 2's can get by with out some dents here and there.

Had dinner w/Cranky Steve, he's a little concerned about the 2's. But if anyone wants to ride along???Saddle up!

Maybe I will just bring the 3 instead. Will it be ok if I just come for the day though. I can only make it for Sat.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:20 PM
Hummer Guru

Sounds good to me. But I wish you could camp w/us.

Check out what I found over on Pirate!!

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=489377
Old 07-10-2006, 09:34 PM
Hummer Authority

Racer-X is off the scale

Quote:
OK.....who's still going in spite of "you know who" and you know who else?

Are you refering to me?
Old 07-10-2006, 11:59 PM
Hummer Guru

No Honey....the "other" you know who
Old 07-11-2006, 06:05 AM
Hummer Guru

Anybody else????
Old 07-11-2006, 06:13 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Make sure you have a couple of 2's to use as tow vehicles.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:43 AM
Hummer Guru

NEOCON1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Anybody else????

wish i could but im saving my clean undies for moab but you guys have fun and you could go T.P. some H1's in the middle of the night
* Rollin with the Banned and the Damned *

"Fred Thompson for President "
Old 07-11-2006, 03:24 PM
Hummer Veteran

Jesus Christ is on a distinguished road

I can make it there.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:40 AM
Hummer Guru

Here is a really nice write up:

The Rubicon 4WD Trail, California

by Glenn Wakefield

Don't worry, it's worse than it looks! This little stretch is just on top of the slabs leading to Buck Island Lake. Summer in the Sierra Nevada mountains of California between Georgetown and Lake Tahoe belongs to us, the 'crawlers'. Those who are not 'one of us', do not understand the lure of the rocks. Prepare yourselves.... prepare your vehicles.... this is the Rubicon trail.
Rubicon is perhaps the most well known and most traveled four wheel drive trail in the world. It is rated a 'Most Difficult' 10. Elevations average 6-7,000 ft. Climate is typical of high mountains as temperatures may be hot during the day, but can get chilly at night. The scenery is spectacular though you will most likely spend most of your time dodging boulders. Rubicon country is serious fourwheeling country. Keep in mind though that you are likely to also see mountain bikers, ATV's, and backpackers as well. Each Summer, a few thousand rock crawling enthusiasts descend upon this trail to challenge themselves and their vehicles. Many of those are locals, who have done the trail backwards and forwards, in sunlight and after dark, and know every nook and cranny of this trail. Many too, are those from out of the area. They are first-timers and return visitors. I am of this group. Rubicon is an annual pilgrimage for me.... to the Mecca of rockcrawling.... to pay homage to the rock gods.... to push myself and my vehicle to the limits.
THE TRAIL

Rubicon can be completed in two days, but three is recommended. One night's stay at Spider Lake and one night at Buck Island Lake is most common. Both offer decent fishing. The bait of choice is POWER BAIT, though worms seem to work as well. Bottom fishing seems to yield the best results. None of our group's anglers were able to hook anything with lures. The water in Spider is mild enough for a nice swim, and a nice campsite will yield some rocks for jumping and sunbathing (we were even able to set up a tree swing with a pull strap).
A great place we found to camp the night before you begin your rockcrawling expedition is at Bassi Falls off of Icehouse Rd. The Bassi Falls entrance is unmarked so ask for directions from a ranger station on how to find this beautiful little canyon. The camping is free and you won't find any crowds up there. IMPORTANT NOTE: In order to legally have a campfire or even operate a flame burner stove any where in the Rubicon area, you must obtain a fire permit. The permits are available at ranger stations and are free of charge. If you are inclined to grumble about this.... view the devastation on your first 10 miles of Icehouse Rd. What was once beautiful forest, is now barren wasteland. Our entire group drove in complete silence thru this area. There was no joking or chit-chat, the devastation was simply too disturbing. Be careful.
The Rubicon trail is open to all vehicles most of the year and requires no fees or permits to run. The camping is free as well (except for Rubicon Springs). The Jeepers Jamboree closes down the trail one weekend a year and occasional trail repairs may close things down for a short while as well. Info on this can be obtained at the Georgetown Ranger Station (916) 333-4312. This is a trail recommended for short wheelbase 4x4s. However, our group ran it with two full-sized pickup trucks and an older model Grand Wagoneer (they had lots of clearance and lockers though). The tightest and most difficult sections do offer bypasses so the big rigs can get through the trail. On this most popular of trails you will see Suzukis, Toyotas, Jeeps, P'ups, everything. We even saw a Land Rover and Ford Explorer.

A good spotter comes in handy on the Rubicon. Many of you may have heard that the Rubicon no longer offers challenge. That it has been made easy by the passage of near-stock vehicles over the years. False! The Rubicon is what you make it. To avoid damage, be sure to stick to the bypasses. For us hard core crawlers.... there is no disappointment.
The trail can be run in both directions, though the most common route is from West to East. Two main entrances are found on the East side from Icehouse Road. If your game is to protect the vehicle you love, take some mild challenges, and admire the scenery, you should begin the trail at Loon Lake. The Loon Lake entrance will take you across granite slabs reminiscent of Moab slickrock domes. The slabs are fun with some short steep sections and ledges, but nothing too scary.

Long wheelbase trucks can get through short wheel base trails, but they have to be willing to accept some damage. We had driven 800 miles for this trip though and wanted every bit of Rubicon there was; and so, opted to enter through Wentworth Springs. After leaving Icehouse Rd., follow the signs to Wentworth. The trail winds up to some cabins and a small picnic area. Past this.... lock em' up. Rubicon starts immediately. Your first major obstacle after a short rocky incline is the Devil's Postpile. It took us at over an hour to get our 13 vehicles through this 50 yard section of trail. The long wheelbase vehicles slowed us a bit, but they made it through with only minor damage.
Following the Postpile, our trail intersects with the bypass from Loon Lake. The main trail then heads directly up the slabs. It is difficult to get lost as tire tracks from the thousands who have gone before show the way. We once again opted for the more challenging route. Instead of following the main track up the slabs, look for the lesser traveled trail that branches right and traverses across the slabs a bit more. This will take you to the V-Rock. If you can pick your line well, you should walk right through this obstacle. Carelessness or the incorrect line, will yield something locals call "fat air". Meaning, tires reach for the sky.

Every obstacle has the easy way, the hard way and the FUN way! This little spot is up toward Spider Lake. From the top of the slabs, the Rubicon winds through the trees and up some challenging little hills named after early adventurous wheelers. You must pay attention on this trail though.... a Scrambler in our group got a little careless with his line and rolled over on a seemingly harmless stretch. The first real sticky obstacle lies about 1/4 mile from the bottom of Little Sluice. This optional route is named Tin Can Alley. Recognizable as a rock face on your left that looks like something only crazy men would try. As fate had it, our group contained a few crazy men. Several attempted and one pickup sustained some breakage from his try, but mine was the only vehicle to make it up the nasty rockpile.

Believe it or not! This was the way we had to access our camping spot above little Sluice. Perhaps the most bypassed and exciting section of the Rubicon is the Little Sluice. The large rocks that stand guard at the entrance, let you know you have arrived. On weekends, crowds will gather on the rocks around the Sluice to cheer, jeer, watch, and admire. If you travel this route.... you must expect damage. Bring a group through... and expect breakage. It is not uncommon for a group of 5 or 6 vehicles to take over an hour to get through the first 10-20 yards of the entrance to the Little Sluice. The Sluice changes every year. Last year our line was on the right side as the left was impassible. This year the opposite was true. For a challenging bypass, take the next trail to the left. Beware, a good spotter may save you from a roll on this bypass. For a still easier bypass, keep driving left until you find a route you are comfortable with.

As mentioned earlier, Spider Lake is a great place to camp, fish, and swim. When you begin the next portion of your journey (to Buck Island Lake), be sure to let the more adventurous in your group play on Thousand Dollar Hill. Thousand Dollar reminded me of Potato Salad in Moab and was quite nerve wracking in my short wheelbase Samurai. Our longer wheelbase Scrambler boys even got some good tire air on this hill. From there you wind down toward Buck Island Lake. There are two main routes to Buck Island. The "slabs" branch off to the left and will scare you with their off-camber pitches. My inclinometer indicated a fairly consistent tilt of between 20 and 30 degrees.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:40 AM
Hummer Guru

Part Deux:

The squeeze rock in the True Big Sluice. A tight spot even for a Samari! The other route, and my favorite, is thru the True Big Sluice. This section of trail is relentless. One boulder after the other reaches out to smash your rocker panels. Do not take your eyes off of the trail and place your thumbs outside the steering wheel (or take a chance on breaking them.... I'm serious). Once again, the shorter your wheelbase, the easier this section is. Some have deemed this the Rock Garden and it is beautiful in full bloom. We ran it both ways and loved every metal mashing minute of it!

Heading into the Rock Garden on the True Big Sluice is always a good spot to getout and watch the "demolition derby".
Buck Island Lake offers better fishing than Spider, though it is too cold to swim in (unless you're a member of the Polar Bear Club). Stop before the dam and check out the manmade tunnel for Buck Island's outlet to Loon Lake. It is 2 miles long and you can sometimes see daylight from the other end. When you cross the dam.... take it a little bit to the right. I took it too far left and was stuck like an upsidedown turtle. Both wheels were in the air on either side as my frame was nestled firmly on the narrow concrete dam.
From Buck Island you head up the boulder strewn hill to the Big Sluice on the other side. This is the only sluice that cannot be bypassed. Full-sized rigs will struggle a bit here as a result. I enjoyed watching our trucks make a couple of 20-point turns on the way down. Enjoy the rock surfing and don't be afraid to call for a spot in a few places where the trail is narrow and tilts you toward the cliff. I would have to say the "pucker factor" was substantial for me along there.

Some of the best obstacles can be found adjacent to the main route. After leaving the sluice, cross the bridge and enter Rubicon Springs. One word.... DUST. This stuff is like moon dust. It is finer than imagineable and is inches deep on the trail. An easy footstep will yield a cloud of dust here. Move along a little further and check out the collection of broken axles, gears, and other 4x4 parts along side the trail from folks not as lucky as you. Your last obstacle? Cadillac Hill. So named for the old Cadillac found up toward the top of the Hill. All that remains after years of scavenging are the chassis and some drivetrain components. Cadillac is a long tough hill with some sections of loose rock and a few hairpin turns. Most of it is one vehicle wide, though some groups come in this way. Remember.... uphill has the right-of-way. We were held up for two hours as a Wrangler in the group in front of us underwent some repairs. Such is the way of the Rubicon. Don't get grumpy if you have to wait.... just be glad it wasn't you. At the top of Cadillac is an open table top bluff with a breathtaking view of the trail. This is a great place to line up the vehicles for group photos before your final stretch of (dusty) trail home. From this view point, you have about 45 more minutes before you hit Lake Tahoe.
The Rubicon can and does take its toll on vehicles.... especially those who decide not to bypass the challenging obstacles. Our Group, (3 Samurais, 1 Willys, 2 Ford P'up's, 1 Grand Wagoneer, 4 Scramblers, a CJ7 and a CJ5) was very well-built and equipped and came out relatively unscathed. The final damage tally came to 2 shredded tires, smashed truck beds, twisted bumpers, damaged pumpkins, various body smashes and bends, and a broken traction bar for the full sized boys. And a couple broken U-joints, a toasted starter, a rollover, an arced and dead Optima, a broken transfer case mount, broken engine mount, and some body bumps and bruises for the rest of us.
Some final words: If you plan on campfires... get a permit and bring your own firewood. Thousands of campers every year have stripped the ecosystem of deadwood, fallen branches, and dead standing trees. TREAD LIGHTLY!.... trail closures are happening everywhere and the Rubicon is definitely on the Sierra Club's hit list. Disassemble your road construction.... this trail should be as challenging for the last guy thru at the end of the year as it was for the first guy thru in the Spring. Be prepared.... breakage is common. Challenge yourself, but also know your limits and keep the rubber side down.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:26 AM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

The Norcal TTORA group went a couple times last month. There's some good pics on their site that give an idea of the current conditions.

http://www.norcalttora.com/gallery/album218

http://www.norcalttora.com/gallery/album227