H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H1 Discussion Forums > General H1 Discussion

Old 12-02-2007, 03:24 AM
Hummer Veteran

bullsnake is on a distinguished road
Default New '96 H1 with a few Q's!

After having a '94 wagon some years ago I am excited to be back in the game with a '96 wagon! This was a business partner of mine's pride and joy, and he passed away unexpectedly a month ago. I purchased it from his widow and plan on hanging onto it for a LONG time. My questions are these:

1.) Who makes the best safari rack with the highest load capacity? it currently has the factory rack on it with two spares on steel rims and is starting to bow. I am going to reconfigure it with one spare, and would like to have room for the kids and my toys up there as well, and be able to walk around up there to strap stuff down and occasionally sit up there when camping and watch the sun set. I am also a photographer and it would be a good elevated position for some shots. I have been looking at the Predator motorsports 9' rack, and would like to hear opinions on it, or any other rack that may be better.

2.) Is the Predator Stage four kit a good place to start for more performance? How will it affect the longevity/reliability of the H1? I know this isn't a Ferrari, but I would like just a little more umph on the roads and in traffic.

3.) I had the vehicle serviced at Bett's Hummer here in Des Moines to make sure it was current on everything. It has had the HVAC upgrade done already, is there anything else that I should be watching out for? Should I have anything else checked out on it before I start driving it? This will by no means be a daily driver for me, but I will probably drive it a few times a week. I am looking forward to hearing any thoughts and ideas on how I can insure a long and happy life with this awesome beast!

Thanks so much, and I'm excited to be an H1 owner again, although the circumstances are definitely not the way I wanted to get back into one. I still can't believe he's gone, but I will make sure to keep his memory alive by keeping his pride and joy around and enjoying it as much as he did!
Old 12-02-2007, 04:34 PM
Hummer Veteran

Default Re: New '96 H1 with a few Q's!

Alright, I did a little research here since the responses haven't been flooding in and found that Predator Motorsports isn't universally loved by those that have done the kit or dealt with them. I have decided to take a pass on the Stage four kit, but would still like to do something to improve the H1-it is currently bone-stock-no exhaust, no nothing. I guess I will give rubberduck a look and see what they have.
I am still curious about the Safari rack and any thing else that I should be looking out for. I am looking for personal opinions from those that have been there before. I am planning on spending $5-6K on it right now, and then budget $4-5K annually for upkeep and improvements.
On a side note, I am LOVING it! We had an ice storm here in Iowa yesterday and we were low on a few things at the house so I decided to load up and take it in to the store last night. Ended up pulling two people out of the ditch on the way in (one right next to the other) and they were very thankfull! made it in and out no problem, and enjoyed every minute of it! It's gonna be tough not to want to use this as a daily driver!
Old 12-02-2007, 08:32 PM
Hummer Novice

2002H1 is on a distinguished road

Read my Predator Stage 4 kit story under the Tech Discussion section of the H1 Forum. It will give you a taste of Predator! Check out magnumoffroad.com
Old 12-02-2007, 11:26 PM
Hummer Veteran

Thanks 2002 H1!
I stumbled across your post doing a search earlier-not so good.

I really don't want to do anything so drastic as to hurt the reliability or longevity of the wagon, I just want to give it a little more pep. If that is not a realistic goal then I will leave it as is and upgrade the roof-rack and just fix things as they break or wear out.

Thanks!