Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > ETC. Forums > General Off Topic

Old 06-27-2010, 01:52 AM
Hummer Authority

guruerror is on a distinguished road
Default 2 Cents About GM...

I've already sent this idea via email to every inlet I could find at GM, if you agree I encourage you to do the same. I'm not suggesting that we can change their direction, or that this concept would be cost effective for the company...I just think it's worth a thought...a consideration...before we lose important parts of our automotive heritage forever.

As we all know, GM has scuttled the majority of its line-up...and I'm not saying that this was a 'bad decision.' GM had taken 'badge engineering' to new levels and definitely flooded the market with carbon copies of many mediocre vehicles. That said, here and there they did produce (or at least conceptualized) vehicles that were truly remarkable...these are the bits of GM that should not be lost to this recent, broad, scuttling stroke. These are the bits of America that we, as the consumer, should at least ask that they preserve.

My thought? What if GM re-envisioned its 'Performance Division'...what if this division was badged simply as "GM" and the line-up included one remarkable vehicle from each of its scuttled lines? Each vehicle available in one version, with performance in mind. Keeping alive the best of the best:

The Trans Am (based off of the new Camaro...there's concept pictures out there...and they are hot)
The Hummer (based off of the Hx concept...a fuel efficient Hummer)
The Sky (based off of the Kappa series convertible)
The 442 (remember what Carol Shelby tried to do with the Oldsmobile Aurora?)

This line-up covers your two door, hardtop, sports car (Trans Am), your two door roadster (Sky), your performance sedan (442), and your off-road Jeep-competitor (Hummer); and keeps some of the new and old names we (American car enthusiasts) know and love alive.

Just a thought...just my 2 cents.

I've got my Hummer and my Kappa...so I'm cool; I just find it a bit sad that my son will grow up in a time where some of these names will have no meaning. Where he'll never know the thundering sound of a shackled up 442 burning strips of rubber off the line of a green light...or know that something besides a Jeep could take you off the road and up a mountain side at the drop of a dime...and do I even have to mention 'the black Trans Am?'

Thanks for your time...
Old 06-27-2010, 07:59 PM
Hummer Guru

wpage is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 2 Cents About GM...

Its a great idea. However with the shape GM is in. Survival is all they are focused on. With the Gov meaning us as owners any creative enterprise will be looked at crtically.
Until GM can start producing vehicles that are sold with +$ per unit. It going to be more of this sorry news.
(John 3:16)
2006 H3 Slate Blue,Header,Jacked,CAI,Toyo35's,HHO.
Priors...
Explorer
Commander
71 Vette
You Name it!
Old 06-27-2010, 09:09 PM
Hummer Authority

Agreed...

...BUT oftentimes it is creativity that inspires the masses; and familiarity that leads to loyalty.

I do not want to see GM or Ford die...like Malcom said, "by any means necessary."

The more a public can relate, the more it will support. If GM would ever make a move like this they would have to "give it there all.". The American car enthusiast/consumer deserves nothing less. And I for one will be there to support such an effort should it ever materialize.

We have and can build the best...we should strive to do that again. If our past had gone un-noted then there would never have been the term "American muscle car."

Europian engineering pales in the face of what we can/have achieved...ZR1...GT40...Viper...these are just a few of the hallmarks of America that proclaim our right to stand as a force to be reckoned with in the automotive industry.

"If they can build it...we can beat it."

American muscle rules!

We've got the land...we've got the highway...and nothing in this world beats the sound of an American V8 at full throttle ripping down an open strip. Nothing!

The problem is...we don't design cars with the passion that we once did...

In the past we designed cars with chrome flare and huge fins that were things of beauty...massive, metal automobiles that inspired us simply at a glance. Cars like the Corvette...the Trans Am...the Viper...the Old's 442...the old Cadillacs...that looked like they were moving when simply setting still. We need to get back to that...think outside the box...design vehicles that INSPIRE the driver...INSPIRE!...that make us "proud owners." That's where you capture the loyalty...that's where you capture the hearts...and once you have that, profitability will follow.

GM...inspire us...

Last edited by guruerror : 06-27-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:42 PM
Hummer Authority

...and I know they can do it.

Five times in my life I have been 'inspired'...five times in my life I have passed an automobile and have been 'drawn' to it...had to have it...and each time it was an American vehicle.

First was a 1970 Fastback Mustang...a lean 302 cubic inch powered, 4 barrel carborated, chromed-engined machine.

The second was 1979 Lincoln Town Coupe...a massive, steamline luxury boat with a 460 cubic inch big block that floated over the highway like a huge cloud-riding love boat...its straight lines were so long they seemed to stretch out unto the horizon.

The third was a 1993 Z28...sleek, round and full of 350 cubic inches of American thunder.

The fourth was a 2005 Hummer H2 which literally called to me each time I drove by the lot...all it took was one ride to know that this was the truck for me.

And lastly was the Saturn Sky RedLine...a car that looked like it was moving when it was setting absolutely still. The test drive showed me 25mpg at 125mph down I-270...I was sold.

We can build cars that INSPIRE...let's continue.

If we build it...they will buy it...
Old 06-29-2010, 01:35 AM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

GM killed Hummer
Gm = sh1t

I hope that GM folds tomorrow.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:14 AM
Hummer Authority

Easy Ed is an unknown quantity at this point

Tell us how ya really feel DRTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTYFN
GM killed Hummer
Gm = sh1t

I hope that GM folds tomorrow.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:21 AM
Hummer Authority

Yep...and word on the street is that video killed the radio star.

GM was simply forced to change with the times. Even if they had made better decisions in the past, they'd have probably still had to let Hummer go...or at least go bio-diesel; unfortunately by the time their hand was forced...it was too late to invest in such changes.

Better to send the brand out to pasture...at least for now...then to let it go to a inexperienced, foreign group that could destroy the imagine of what the brand's roots stood for.