H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H1 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H1

Old 02-29-2008, 04:47 AM
Hummer Veteran

phazer42 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bio-Diesel H1

there used to be a company that would make these saddle tanks, but I don't think they make them anymore.. Realistically they are really simple with minimal modifications... you would have to change your "fill" point from the RH side of your truck to the back of your truck, as the ones that I have seen wiith these saddle tanks had a filler cap just north and outboard of the tail light assembly near where the marker light is... if you get one custom made you would be set. Since your fill pipe for both the main and aux tanks already ride abve the frame rail, you will just need to change where it goes. You could likey get more fuel in the RH saddle tank then the LH as your feed pipe to the aux tank would need to be near the bumper (as thats where it is currently) whereas the main is in the front so you could likely get a good amount of volume in it....

The other thought would be to modify the bottom of your bed and create that as fuel storage.... you can figure ut volume fairly easily just from raw dimensions..... BUT.... please note.... for crash reasons... there is often a "vapor" zone in every fuel tank so that when the "incompressible" fluid is forced to go somewhere, it can, rather then leaving the tank assembly..... typically they see around 5-10% vapor space in a fuel tank assemly to be "safe"
Old 03-21-2008, 07:57 PM
Hummer Veteran

pdxhummerguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by phazer42
what year truck do you have??

Really.... the best solution for a Hummer to make more fuel volume is the following....

with dual, stock, tanks.... get dual fender well tanks. So, you would have the RH fender tank feeding the main fuel tank, and the LH fender tank feeding the aux tank. I believe the fender tanks are like 17 gallons each which would give you 76 Gallons in capacity (unless you have an alpha) which should be plenty!!

Personally, I would place check valves on the inlets to the main and aux fuel tanks so when off-roading you can't get the fuel to "find" its way into one of your "new" tanks when you are on steep grades.....

this would also require you to have your exhuast dump out in front of the LH rear wheel similar to a Humvee....

Where can I purchase these fender well tanks? I am ready to do the conversion on the H1 the right way. I have a 2002 Excursion with a 7.3 psd in it that I am having converted to veggie as well. After much research I have pretty much decided to use a company called Fossil Free fuels out of PA. Have had several conversations with these guy and they really seem to know their stuff and are thinking progressively ahead of the rest of the pack in my opinion. They are taking my excursion which has a 44 gallon main tank from the factory and converting this to a heated veg tank, adding an additional 30 gallon veg holding tank & then fabbing up an 18 gallon diesel tank for start up and purging at shutdown. They have a really nice looking interface taht I have yet to see anyone else in the veg community come close to. Here is a link to a video that shows a glance of the digital interface. It gives you fuel levels for all tanks, veg oil temp readings as well as a temp reading at the point of injection. Pretty trick set-up. http://youtube.com/watch?v=9sQwccnH3KM Does anyone have any experience or know anything about them? their website is a work in progress but it's www.fossilfreefuel.com .
Old 03-21-2008, 08:02 PM
Hummer Veteran

I don't know if they are made anymore.... you might wanna give Predator a call and see if they made them anymore or see if someone will fab some up for ya.... shouldn't be to bad of a job...
Old 03-21-2008, 08:15 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phazer42
I don't know if they are made anymore.... you might wanna give Predator a call and see if they made them anymore or see if someone will fab some up for ya.... shouldn't be to bad of a job...

I am a fearful of doing anything through predator based on my own experience and stories I have heard. I am just trying to get some direction as to possibly where to start looking for these or how exactly they mount and or how they function.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:49 PM
Hummer Veteran

well... in that case if you don't have a fabricator that you can trust... get ahold of Travis at Rubber Duck 4x4 as he does very good work.

Basically they would bolt in through your body, or depending on how you have it, you would have a bracket system that would hold it into place. There would then be a filler point that would be near the top of you fender for obvious reasons. The one truck that I saw with this had the filler between the tail light and the marker light. Looked actually pretty good, he just had a silver filler cap on it and it blended in very well....

There are some guys on the HML that could probably get you some pictures, and I sure Travis has worked with these in his Hummer past....
Old 04-01-2008, 04:13 AM
Hummer Veteran

http://www.humvee.net/pix/tank/amtank.html is this sort of what you all are talking about?
Old 04-01-2008, 04:21 AM
Hummer Authority

ssgharkness020147 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhummerguy
http://www.humvee.net/pix/tank/amtank.html is this sort of what you all are talking about?

That would be the one Scott is talking about. American HUMMER is still in business, I'd give the a call. I've heard good stuff about them.

-007=
Old 04-02-2008, 12:13 AM
Hummer Veteran

Here is the email response i got from American. I am waiting to hear back.

We only have a couple of the left fender well fuel tanks left. The right fender tank was always a problem and with the new trucks it can't really be done since the auxillary tank filler neck, etc. is now in the way.

The left tank hold about 22 gallons & is rhino lined on the bottom surface. We use a fuel pump that pumps the fuel directly into the main tank with an on/off switch run to the dash. The tank fills from a fuel neck that comes out above the left rear tail light (means cutting a hole in you truck & you only get one chance that it's right). The tank fits in a "cradle" using a bracket on the back edge of the fender well and a bracket on the front edge of the fender well utilizing the rocker panel. Consequently our tank "floats" and is not secured to the underside of the fender well as off-roading would rip up the top of the fender well due to the HUMMER"s flex, especiall right there by the front of the rear fender well.

In the past, Terry has expressed that he really doesn't want to sell a "fender well fuel tank kit" outside our shop as no two HUMMERs are alike and installation is always slightly different & interesting on each HUMMER. Additionally, we get the parts (lines, hoses, etc.) we need as we installed so we never really put a full "kit" together. However, I do have some semblance of instructions, lots of pics, and a semblance of a parts list. In the shop we sell the "kit" for $1,800.00 and it's about a 15 hour installation job.

Additionally, to install the tank, we have to remove the catalyic converter, muffler, & exhaust tail pipe that goes up and over/under the fender well and out the back. We install an AMG Exhaust Pipe with Resonator and an AMG Tailpipe (like on the 92, 93, & HMMWVs). These parts run about $900.00. On the Turbo HUMMERs, there are four distinct advantages to doing this (if you don't have state diesel inspection requirements): 1) It's still all AMG exhaust parts, 2) With the Resonator you still get the "back pressure" to protect the turbo, 3) You will finally hear your Turbo whistle, and 4) You will experience increased HP as you're not loosing power through the Cat, Muffler & miles of Exhaust Pipe.

I would have to talk to Terry again to see if he's willing to sell a tank with whatever additional parts we have in stock, pics, & incomplete parts list and instructions. I know you said you have a fab guy, so maybe that will change Terry's thinking about selling a tank "outside" our shop. Let me know & if you're still interested and if so, I'll talk to Terry for you. Thank you.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:46 PM
Hummer Veteran

looks like you have a few options, one being their setup or having someone make one.... Personally, I wouldn't want my fuel feed line to be fairly close to an exhaust unless it was properly shielded....

Again, IMHO the best alternative would be one in each wheel well, the one in the left wheel well feeding the aux tank, and the one in the right wheel well feeding the main tank.... the pumping idea is probably the best, but more complex, but it all depends on the design.... feel free to e-mail me if you want to further understand what I am talking about.... phazer42@comcast.net