H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 08-05-2008, 12:56 AM
Elcova Newbie

ryanevans is on a distinguished road
Default Have technical question on H3 I just bought

Hello, I had a question and I was hoping that someone here might have the answer for me. I bought a 2006 Hummer3 last week, and I noticed that one of the 4wd lights (button) on the dashboard stays on, even when I push it. There are three 4wd drive lights on the dash, and it?s the one on the far left side. When I push on that particular lit 4wd button, the light stays on instead of turning off. Does anyone know if it?s normal for the 4wd light to stay on?

Thanks for any help

Ryan
Old 08-05-2008, 01:03 AM
Hummer Veteran

Sydonnie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Have technical question on H3 I just bought

Ummm.. it is suppose to stay on. You can only change it to the others under certain conditions. Conditions such as driving at a very low speed. i forgot the whole deal with the buttons. it should stay on though. Do you have a manual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanevans
Hello, I had a question and I was hoping that someone here might have the answer for me. I bought a 2006 Hummer3 last week, and I noticed that one of the 4wd lights (button) on the dashboard stays on, even when I push it. There are three 4wd drive lights on the dash, and it?s the one on the far left side. When I push on that particular lit 4wd button, the light stays on instead of turning off. Does anyone know if it?s normal for the 4wd light to stay on?

Thanks for any help

Ryan
Old 08-05-2008, 01:13 AM
Elcova Newbie

I don't have the manual handy, which is part of my problem. I also thought that light was suppose to stay on. Although, when that light is on, does that mean it's in 4WD? So is it always in 4WD?

Thanks again for the help,

R
Old 08-05-2008, 01:17 AM
Hummer Expert

RazM is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Thanks for any help

Ryan

The buttons are 4Hi, 4Hi Locked, 4Low Locked, and if you have the adventure package there's a locker button too...

Since the H3 is a fulltime 4WD, normal driving conditions are in 4Hi (the button on all the way on the left). During offroading, you can go into neutral and hold in (until they light up) either the 4HiLock or 4LowLock buttons depending on the conditions you're in. Read the manual for the full details of each mode and when you should use them.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:19 AM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
I don't have the manual handy, which is part of my problem. I also thought that light was suppose to stay on. Although, when that light is on, does that mean it's in 4WD? So is it always in 4WD?

Thanks again for the help,

R

Yes, the H3 is fulltime 4WD and the 4Hi button will always be lit for everyday driving.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:26 AM
Elcova Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazM

Since the H3 is a fulltime 4WD,

Ahh. That of course makes sense that it would stay lit since it's always in 4WD, which I thought would be AWD. The Fulltime 4WD was my hang up...

Excellent help!

Many thanks,
R
Old 08-05-2008, 01:27 AM
Elcova Newbie

Quote:
Yes, the H3 is fulltime 4WD and the 4Hi button will always be lit for everyday driving.

Thank you. That was the exact answer I was looking for.

Thank you also for the help sydonnie.

R
Old 08-05-2008, 01:47 AM
Hummer Expert

NP.

Since you don't have the manual I'll give a real simple breakdown of each mode. You can stay in 4Hi for moderate offroad conditions and it'll pull you through. 4HiLock should be used when doing anything more complicated and you require more traction, like deep snow, mud, sand, etc. 4LowLock should be used when you're doing low speed and require more traction, BUT you shouldn't take it above 30mph for extended periods.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Hummer Professional

Dave92270 is on a distinguished road

you should definititely order the manual/user-guide, it has more good info about your H3.... Also, in order to switch between 4HiLock and 4LowLock (center and right button), your vehicle should be shifted to neutral and be either stopped or moving very slow. I always fully stop and shift to N before switching 4HiLock/4LowLock; not 100% sure if not doing so will only prevent 4WD mode switch, or will switch but with possible resulting damage...
Old 08-06-2008, 12:57 AM
Hummer Guru

3Hummer is on a distinguished road

the 4hi is the one light that should always be on when driving in normal conditions in order to switch to the other ones you must be stopped and i bieleve in neutral between 4hilock and 4lowlock but whichever you ave on the light for that particular one will remain on.

2003 H1 HMCS: Ocean Blue Metallic, Grey Leather Interior

2010 H3 Alpha: Canyon Metallic, Cashmere Interior

2017 VW Jetta S

2012 Cessna 182T Skylane

used to have: 2007 base H3 Slate Blue

/''T''|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**"\)_)
Old 08-06-2008, 05:34 AM
Hummer Professional

Hunner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
NP.

Since you don't have the manual I'll give a real simple breakdown of each mode. You can stay in 4Hi for moderate offroad conditions and it'll pull you through. 4HiLock should be used when doing anything more complicated and you require more traction, like deep snow, mud, sand, etc. 4LowLock should be used when you're doing low speed and require more traction, BUT you shouldn't take it above 30mph for extended periods.
It will automatically disengage 4low above 20mph.
Traded 06 I-5 for 08H3 ALPHA/Adv,WarnPowerPlant9500,Warn 9000ti rear,Steelcraft brush/winch mt,RockyRoadrails/Hunner mod,GMUCP,Hunner rear/shock skids,OEM roof lights,Rola rack,2GoLights,Hunner steering gear mount,Purple Cranium diff guard,BulletProof tie rods,ARBsnorkle, SyKlone prefilter,Hunner intake pipe.