H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 01-01-2006, 05:22 AM

Haiz is off the scale

Does anyone know how to tell if you radio is xm ready, i found this kit at this web site and I dont want to spend the money if my radio is not xm ready, http://www.jpcustoms.com/store/customer/product.php?pro...17044&cat=676&page=1
I have the monsoon stero with the 6 disc cd changer
Old 01-01-2006, 05:22 AM

Haiz is off the scale

Does anyone know how to tell if you radio is xm ready, i found this kit at this web site and I dont want to spend the money if my radio is not xm ready, http://www.jpcustoms.com/store/customer/product.php?pro...17044&cat=676&page=1
I have the monsoon stero with the 6 disc cd changer
Old 01-01-2006, 06:19 AM
Hummer Expert

Mike E is off the scale

Press the button labeled band on your radio and see if the xm tuner comes up. I'm alomst positive you have XM from your description, you just need to call XM and sign up.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:00 AM
Hummer Expert

DarthKarl is off the scale

Each OEM radio in the H3 is XM ready, the question is whether an XM receiver is actually installed (like the one in your link) in your rig. Do what Mike E suggests to find out.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:26 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Do as Mike E suggests; however, you should have three months free and the salesman should have set it up for you.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:16 AM

Haiz is off the scale

I tried the band button, 2 fm's and one am, no xm, looks like i'll be ordering the kit. just wanted to make sure the factory radio is xm ready. thanks for the info.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:30 AM
Hummer Expert

kodiakz is off the scale

Your radio is definitely xm ready and the Terk GM direct kit works great for that application!
\'05 Slate Blue Sut w/ Magnusun, JBA headers, custom exhaust, 22\" MC2 RT5 wheels, Pioneer AVIC Z1 nav, Passport SRX, Vizualogic A1000 dual, bi xenons, fog xenons, dual optimas, and just gettin\' started!
Old 01-05-2006, 09:08 PM
Hummer Veteran

Roughwater is off the scale

I'm looking at installing XM in my H3 but not the kit above, I will be using one of XM's receivers. Have any of you done this and how/where did you mount the antenna?

Thanks-

OLD
2006 H3 - Slate Blue - Adventure
Old 01-05-2006, 09:16 PM

Aqualight is off the scale

I saw one at the dealer that had the antenna mounted on the dash on the passenger side. It was in the corner where the windshield meets the A pillar. Looked like it was stuck on with double sided tape.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:16 AM

Haiz is off the scale

I will be installing xm radio this weekend, using the kit listed above from jpcustoms, what's the best place to mount the antenna. where is the antenna mounted on the H3's with factory XM radio?
Old 01-06-2006, 03:03 AM
Hummer Expert

kodiakz is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I saw one at the dealer that had the antenna mounted on the dash on the passenger side. It was in the corner where the windshield meets the A pillar </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bad idea!! We learned this the hard way by re-doing many such installations as the customers had constant drop outs. Mount it on the roof and come in the rear hatch grommit.
\'05 Slate Blue Sut w/ Magnusun, JBA headers, custom exhaust, 22\" MC2 RT5 wheels, Pioneer AVIC Z1 nav, Passport SRX, Vizualogic A1000 dual, bi xenons, fog xenons, dual optimas, and just gettin\' started!
Old 01-06-2006, 08:52 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Kodiakz. mount the antenna outside. I tried that on my C5 Vette, and it didn't work correctly, and the Vette had a large swept back windshield. The antenna must have sight with one of the two satellites to operate, and when mounted in a windshield the roof will block it when driving in some direction. (Unless you are in an urban area that is covered by ground repeaters.)

Has anyone considered using the standard XM/Onstar anetenna from GM. If you have Onstar and no XM, just replace the GM antenna with a version that has both coax leads.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:46 PM

Haiz is off the scale

where can you get the standard XM/Onstar antenna?
Old 01-08-2006, 02:10 AM

Haiz is off the scale

I got the gm direct kit installed, the radio recognizes the XM. It shows XM 1 and XM 2, but i keep getting a no signal reading, I've tried moving the antenna, but it still says no signal, any other suggestions.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:28 AM
Hummer Expert

kodiakz is off the scale

Where did you mount the antenna? If you unplug the antenna, does it display "antenna error" or "antenna not detected"? Make sure you did not cut or crimp the antenna wire anywhere.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:37 AM

Haiz is off the scale

The antenna is mounted in the back, on the roof approx, 6 inches from the door. If I unplug the antenna wire it still says no signal.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:02 PM

Haiz is off the scale

does anyone the part number for the GM antenna that has both coax leads for onstar and XM?
Old 01-15-2006, 06:48 PM
Hummer Expert

kodiakz is off the scale

Get another antenna, place it out on your hood (for test only) then plug it in and see what happens.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:18 PM

Haiz is off the scale

I already tried another antenna, still the same