H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 02-20-2007, 02:59 PM
Hummer Veteran

TANDREW is off the scale
Default Leveling the H3

Just wondering if $450 is a good price for having a shop level the H3? Includes new shocks and alignment.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:12 PM
Hummer Authority

tomp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Leveling the H3

Does that include extended shocks or what?
Old 02-20-2007, 05:21 PM
Hummer Veteran

whaaaaT is on a distinguished road

no. They'll probly just crank your T bars and give you new shocks and an alignment. Thats no big deal. I seriously doubt they are giving you 300 dollar shocks. Do it yourself. Get under your truck and turn the bars. Almost everyone here has done it. And I dont think anyone has had a single problem. The ride will actually feel smoother depending on how low your truck is sitting right now. If your shocks ever blow buy new ones then. But i dont think they will cause mine havent had a problem 13000 miles later. After your done turning the torsion bars (this will take you 15 mins if your slow i actually did it in about 10 seconds with the truck still on the ground) go get an alignment. And wow!. You just lifted the front end and only spent 80 bucks. If you have a coupon and go to firestone you get a lifetime alignment for that too! So feel free to run stuff over and just go back for free!
Old 02-20-2007, 06:07 PM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

Ripoff. Hell, my dealer didn't even charge me that much.

Old 02-21-2007, 04:54 AM
Hummer Veteran

hope he didnt go and get it done before reading these.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:34 AM
Hummer Expert

stagger_lee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewie
Ripoff. Hell, my dealer didn't even charge me that much.

Sewie - Your dealer cranked down the t-bars for you? I thought that had adverse effects on ball joints? did that effect warranty at all?

'06 Luxury Adventure
'99 Toyota 4runner 4x4
'71 FJ40
Old 02-21-2007, 05:42 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagger_lee
Sewie - Your dealer cranked down the t-bars for you? I thought that had adverse effects on ball joints? did that effect warranty at all?

That's why I had the dealer do it, so it would be covered under warranty. I also had them mount my 35's at the same time. Cost me more but if they ever give me crap about wear caused by either then I just remind them they're the ones that did it.

Old 02-21-2007, 02:58 PM
Hummer Veteran

TANDREW is off the scale

Haven't done anything yet. Yes it does include extended shocks and torsion links. They say it doesn't effect the ride it should keep that OEM RIDE and feel..
Old 02-21-2007, 05:35 PM
Hummer Expert

stagger_lee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewie
That's why I had the dealer do it, so it would be covered under warranty. I also had them mount my 35's at the same time. Cost me more but if they ever give me crap about wear caused by either then I just remind them they're the ones that did it.

Sounds like a good plan to me. I'll look into that myself. I was just going to wait till my warranty was out until I f-ed with anything, but if dealer will do it, Im on it.

'06 Luxury Adventure
'99 Toyota 4runner 4x4
'71 FJ40
Old 02-21-2007, 06:04 PM
Hummer Expert

H3.007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Crank the T-bars. $50 dollar job at a professional alignment shop; 4,000 miles later - no problems. And I love the ride
Old 02-21-2007, 06:41 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANDREW
Haven't done anything yet. Yes it does include extended shocks and torsion links.

I'm assuming you mean re-indexed keys. Which means they're selling you a leveling kit and not just cranking the t-bars. More labor, plus parts, so the price may be okay. I've never really looked into so can't say. But just cranking the t-bars is still cheaper.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:06 PM
Hummer Veteran

Jeff G is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANDREW
Haven't done anything yet. Yes it does include extended shocks and torsion links. They say it doesn't effect the ride it should keep that OEM RIDE and feel..

If they're including extended shocks and including re-indexed keys and aligning, it's a pretty good deal.
2006 H3 Lux/Offroad - Slate Blue - Ebony Leather - Sunroof - Brush Guard - Husky Rear Mat - Petz Cover (so my Wheaton Terrier can ride with me) - GOBI Stealth Rack - PIAA Lights - DC/AC Coverter - Truxxx Leveling Kit - DC1 Wheels - 35"X12.50" Toyo Open Country AT - Step Bars - Onboard Air - Chrome Fire Extinguisher

2003 Mercedes Benz S500 AMG

2003 BMW Z3 - Wife's
Old 02-21-2007, 11:51 PM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff G
If they're including extended shocks and including re-indexed keys and aligning, it's a pretty good deal.

Tell me about the extended shocks.....who makes them and where can I buy a set???
Old 02-22-2007, 12:05 AM
Hummer Authority

marin8703 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaaaaT
no. They'll probly just crank your T bars and give you new shocks and an alignment. Thats no big deal. I seriously doubt they are giving you 300 dollar shocks. Do it yourself. Get under your truck and turn the bars. Almost everyone here has done it. And I dont think anyone has had a single problem. The ride will actually feel smoother depending on how low your truck is sitting right now. If your shocks ever blow buy new ones then. But i dont think they will cause mine havent had a problem 13000 miles later. After your done turning the torsion bars (this will take you 15 mins if your slow i actually did it in about 10 seconds with the truck still on the ground) go get an alignment. And wow!. You just lifted the front end and only spent 80 bucks. If you have a coupon and go to firestone you get a lifetime alignment for that too! So feel free to run stuff over and just go back for free!

sorry to go off topic but i have to ask. How can i get free alignments for life, that would be awsome if possible? Thanks!
Old 02-22-2007, 03:19 AM
Hummer Veteran

Jeff G is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummBebe
Tell me about the extended shocks.....who makes them and where can I buy a set???

When I installed the Truxxx kit on my truck, I asked a friend of mine if the original shocks and shock extenders could be replaced with longer shocks. He told me that whenever I wanted to order new front shocks that he could replace them with Rancho or any other aftermarket shocks, with a size to fill the original shock + extender. His company, Trailblazers is based here in Lexington, but has a huge online presence through truckaddons.com.
2006 H3 Lux/Offroad - Slate Blue - Ebony Leather - Sunroof - Brush Guard - Husky Rear Mat - Petz Cover (so my Wheaton Terrier can ride with me) - GOBI Stealth Rack - PIAA Lights - DC/AC Coverter - Truxxx Leveling Kit - DC1 Wheels - 35"X12.50" Toyo Open Country AT - Step Bars - Onboard Air - Chrome Fire Extinguisher

2003 Mercedes Benz S500 AMG

2003 BMW Z3 - Wife's
Old 02-22-2007, 03:28 AM
Hummer Authority

K9sH3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marin8703
sorry to go off topic but i have to ask. How can i get free alignments for life, that would be awsome if possible? Thanks!

Firestone, Goodyear and most of the reast have those deals. Wait for the adds.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:29 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff G
When I installed the Truxxx kit on my truck, I asked a friend of mine if the original shocks and shock extenders could be replaced with longer shocks. He told me that whenever I wanted to order new front shocks that he could replace them with Rancho or any other aftermarket shocks, with a size to fill the original shock + extender. His company, Trailblazers is based here in Lexington, but has a huge online presence through truckaddons.com.

I think he's assuming he can do that. I spent almost 2 hours at the local Central 4Wheel Drive store. We went through every catalog from every manufacturer.

Rancho politely told me to go pound sand. The biggest issue is that the front shocks are very unique. They have a clevis mount (similar to a strut) on the bottom and a pin on the top.

No one else makes them. No one. Rancho makes them in 2 sizes 0" ride height and 4". And told me they are absolutely not interested in making a 2 " version. "See ya later lady and good luck."
Old 02-22-2007, 07:04 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marin8703

Firestone does it for around 100 bucks. You'll see a cupon pop up in the papers every so often. Its free as long as you own the car.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:22 PM
Hummer Authority

tomp is an unknown quantity at this point

Before wasting time running around looking for longer shocks, you should realize they will not gain you anything. The stock shocks are made my Rancho for Hummer and so on. Rancho & Monroe are also same company.

Keep in mind all 3 of the above shocks have built in internal and external bump stops.

Rancho makes their after market shocks to same specs as the OEM shocks with improvements over the OEM ones they provide to Hummer.

Whenever you crank the torsion bars, you are limiting your travel. The reason for this is not because the shocks are too short, but because you have placed them out of their travel-range.

By adding the shock extenders, you get back the lost travel. How? Well, by design the stock design does not allow the lower control arm to fall all the way down because it hangs from the shock before ever hitting the built-in bump stop on the control arms.

The shock extenders allow the control arm to fall down where they should and hit the control arm bump stop before hangin up on the shock.

The shock extenders fixes the problem and allow you to run stock shocks. Why would you want to limit your shock selection by going with a longer shock that will not gain you anything?
Old 02-22-2007, 11:21 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomp
Before wasting time running around looking for longer shocks, you should realize they will not gain you anything. The stock shocks are made my Rancho for Hummer and so on. Rancho & Monroe are also same company.

Keep in mind all 3 of the above shocks have built in internal and external bump stops.

Rancho makes their after market shocks to same specs as the OEM shocks with improvements over the OEM ones they provide to Hummer.

Whenever you crank the torsion bars, you are limiting your travel. The reason for this is not because the shocks are too short, but because you have placed them out of their travel-range.

By adding the shock extenders, you get back the lost travel. How? Well, by design the stock design does not allow the lower control arm to fall all the way down because it hangs from the shock before ever hitting the built-in bump stop on the control arms.

The shock extenders allow the control arm to fall down where they should and hit the control arm bump stop before hangin up on the shock.

The shock extenders fixes the problem and allow you to run stock shocks. Why would you want to limit your shock selection by going with a longer shock that will not gain you anything?

I should have stated longer travel, not longer shock.

Reference here: http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=24995

Last edited by HummBebe : 02-22-2007 at 11:35 PM.