H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 03-02-2007, 03:04 PM
Hummer Authority

ChiHummer3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default When do you change your oil?

Hey, all!
When is everyone changing their oil....when OnStar says to, or sooner??

With other cars I used to change my oil every 3K miles religiously, but I've been stretching out the oil changes since getting the H3. Those monthly emails from OnStar make it sound like I can drive forever before needing to change the oil.

Is that GM's way of getting you to screw up the engine so ya have to buy a new car sooner??
Old 03-02-2007, 03:31 PM
Hummer Authority

NewHummerGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: When do you change your oil?

"Is that GM's way of getting you to screw up the engine so ya have to buy a new car sooner?? "

Is this a serious question???? I sure as hell hope you arent trolling on a Friday. That aint cool.

I'm Gonna crazy you my body
=================
Old 03-02-2007, 03:35 PM
Hummer Authority

Wow! Good morning to you too!

Nope - not trolling. Just looking for opinions.

Like I said, I used to always change the oil every 3K....and now they're telling me I can go over 10K -???? Just seems a little strange (to me).

Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:46 PM
Hummer Authority

No feathers ruffled. Just a stupid suggestion that a company would purposely design something and give you bad information so that you would then have to come back and have them repair it for FREE UNDER WATRRANTY.

Now you see why I was so skeptical?????

Some light reading for you:

Technology, Simplicity Blend to Make Vehicle Maintenance Easy

During fall car care month, GM Goodwrench and OnStar help owners get current with maintenance needs

DETROIT (Oct. 19, 2006) ? Is your oil ready to be changed? Do you know how much air pressure is in your tires? Even if you don?t know the answers to these important maintenance questions, chances are, your GM vehicle does. Most GM vehicles today are equipped with advanced technology that helps take the hassle out of vehicle maintenance.
GM?s Oil-Life System determines when it?s time for oil changes and maintenance
GM?s patented Oil-Life System (GMOLS) can double or even triple the time between oil changes when compared to the common 3,000 mile recommendation by evaluating engine and driving conditions. The system is driven by a sophisticated, yet simple algorithm that predicts oil life base on two key parameters and driver use.
?Our engineers have studied oil life for decades, and they learned that oil life tends to degrade in a predictable pattern,? said Peter Lord, executive director, GM Service Operations. ?The GM Oil-Life System simply measures the two key factors that enable us to predict the optimum time for the oil to be changed ? engine revolutions and temperature.?
The beauty of the GMOLS is that it will automatically adjust the oil change interval based on engine characteristics, driving habits and the climate in which the vehicle is operated. For instance, mild highway driving in a warm climate will maximize the interval between oil changes. Depending on the vehicle, this could be in excess of 12,000 miles. On the other hand, short trip driving in a cold climate may limit the oil change to 3,000 miles or less.
If used as intended, the GM Oil-Life System can help consumers save the time and money associated with unnecessary oil changes. More than 95 percent of GM vehicles on the road ? or 20 million GM vehicles built since the 1990s ? are equipped with GM?s Oil-Life System technology.
With all of the time and financial constraints on consumers today, GM Goodwrench believes in using technology to deliver convenience and value to vehicle maintenance.
?Today?s consumer doesn?t have the time for unnecessary trips for maintenance,? said Lord. ?The Oil-Life System makes it simple to know when you need maintenance. When the oil change light comes on, the driver simply brings the vehicle in for maintenance.?
The dealership can change the oil and filter and reset the system, as well as check belts and hoses, rotate tires and change the air filter (does not require changing every visit)? Lord said.
Service reminders from above
GM customers can also be reminded of vehicle maintenance needs through OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics, an industry-first service available only from GM. This service collects valuable maintenance information on four of the vehicle?s key operating systems from hundreds of diagnostic checks and sends a personalized e-mail directly to the owner.
Here?s a rundown on the benefits of OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics:
  • Tire Pressure Monitoring ­? Being rolled out in select models by the end of 2006 and across the majority of GM?s lineup throughout 2007, consumers will be notified of their vehicles? current tire pressure and the manufacturer?s recommended tire pressure.
  • E85 Ethanol Compatibility ? The e-mail also notifies drivers if their vehicles are E85 ethanol compatible and links owners to GM?s www.livegreengoyellow.com website, which links to the National Ethanol Vehicle Coalition?s (NEVC) handy E85 ethanol station on-line look-up tool. OnStar subscribers can search for E85 ethanol stations by using the NEVC?s look-up tool, or by simply pressing the blue OnStar button to receive directions to the nearest E85 ethanol station when driving.
  • Enhanced Vehicle Emissions Data ? The OnStar monthly diagnostic e-mail also includes detailed vehicle powertrain emissions data for additional peace of mind.
  • Enhanced Oil-Life Monitoring ? The OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics e-mail will predict the mileage at which the next oil change will be needed based on current driving patterns, allowing drivers to know when an oil change is likely to be necessary.
  • Other Services ? In addition to these enhancements, OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics also notifies subscribers of the status of the engine, air bag, antilock brake and OnStar systems, as well as the current mileage. The report also includes scheduled maintenance alerts.
OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics can be activated on millions of 2004 model year or newer OnStar-equipped GM vehicles that have GM's Oil-Life System and diagnostic capabilities. An active OnStar subscription is required for enrollment; subscribers can enroll at the OnStar website (www.onstar.com) or press the blue OnStar button and sign up through an advisor.
GM Goodwrench and OnStar recommend that October, which the Car Care Council designates as Fall Car Care Month, is an excellent time for consumers to have their vehicles inspected before the busy holiday season approaches.
GM Goodwrench Maintenance Tips
For extra security on the road, GM Goodwrench encourages you to bring your vehicle to your local GM Goodwrench dealership for an inspection during October, Fall Car Care Month. The inspections help identify service items that can help vehicles run better, last longer, retain value and provide optimal safety and security. GM Goodwrench recommends the following:
  • Keep tires properly inflated: According to the U.S. EPA, you can improve fuel economy by about 3.3 percent by keeping tires properly inflated (www.fueleconomy.gov)
  • Have routine engine maintenance performed: Fixing an engine that has failed an emissions test may improve gas mileage by four percent, on average -- the equivalent of 12 cents a gallon (fueleconomy.gov)
  • Replace your batteries if necessary: Weak batteries can lead to breakdowns ? possibly at the worst time and place.
  • Have your brakes inspected: An expert inspection can determine whether brakes are functioning properly with full braking capability.
  • Replace worn windshield wipers: Old or worn windshield wipers can lead to poor visibility.
  • Have your headlamps adjusted: Properly aimed headlamps are a must for optimal visibility .
  • Follow the oil change intervals recommended by your owner?s manual : Minimize engine wear and reduce the possibility of internal damage. Over 95 percent of 2004 and newer GM vehicles follow the Simplified Maintenance schedule which can save both oil and money. Check your vehicle?s Owner?s Manual for recommended intervals.
  • Check your fluid levels: Improper fluid levels ? including coolant, oil, power steering, transmission, brake fluid and even washer solvent ? can negatively affect vehicle performance, durability and safety.
  • Have your belts and hoses inspected: A broken belt or ruptured hose can cause costly engine damage and travel delays.
Goodwrench is the service brand for GM vehicles. With dealerships located nationwide, the GM Goodwrench network is one of the largest automotive service chains in the industry. GM Goodwrench technicians receive specialized training from General Motors to provide expert care for GM cars and trucks. Genuine GM replacement parts are manufactured to the exact specifications of the GM vehicle. For more information, visit the GM Goodwrench web site at www.goodwrench.com .

=================
Old 03-02-2007, 03:59 PM
Hummer Authority

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the input.

Your attachment came straight from GM, so of course they're going to back their own story. That only makes sense.

I'm just wondering what the average opinion is.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:23 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiHummer3
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the input.

Your attachment came straight from GM, so of course they're going to back their own story. That only makes sense.

I'm just wondering what the average opinion is.

You are right. They are lying. The average opinion on this site is to change the oil every 1,000 miles depending on driving conditions. I personally in my H2 do an oil change every 250 miles but thats because I wanna be extra careful.

Listen man, it has been known for a LONG time that changes every 3k miles was excessive. GM isnt the only manufacture with this technology in place now. The reason they (all manufactures) have always said to do it this often is because they know people are too busy and forget. If they go say 4k or 4,500 miles nothing will be hurt. Now the technology is here so that the system monitors the breakdown of the oil and then this gives you a fairly reliable guide.

On my H2 I do not wait for the computer to tell me oil life is 0%. I usually get it done around 20-25% or so.

GM isnt trying to trick you as much as you would love to believe that.

=================
Old 03-02-2007, 04:32 PM
Hummer Authority

Hey, I hope it is accurate. I LOVE not having to change the oil that often!

I love my Hummer and want it in good health for a long, long time. That was the whole point of asking the question.

I guess I was always brought up not to believe everything you hear. I know that the oil changes every 3K helped keep all of my previous vehicles running for almost 200K - I didn't want to take a chance on screwing up my Hummer.

Last edited by ChiHummer3 : 03-02-2007 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:36 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiHummer3
Hey, I hope it is accurate. I LOVE not having to change the oil that often!

I love my Hummer and want it good health for a long, long time. That was the whole point of asking the question.

I guess I was always brought up not to believe everything you hear. I know that the oil changes every 3K helped keep all of my previous vehicles running for almost 200K - I didn't want to take a chance on screwing up my Hummer.

It wont screw anything up. I personally wouldnt go down to 0% but thats me. I dont think anyone does this.

=================
Old 03-02-2007, 05:44 PM
Hummer Veteran

whaaaaT is on a distinguished road

ha i waited for the car to say it. I figure less money out of my pocket. Plus im lazy. I waited forever. I changed the oil at 3,000 when i first got the truck. Then last week at 14,000 something. I was actually driving home thinking to myself god is this thing working. And then it happend. Change Oil came on. WoW! Yea i wont be changing it till it says.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:52 PM
Hummer Expert

H3.007 is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to do the 3,000 mile thing myself. I am still not ready to push it to 0%, so I wait until it hits 45%. This delay is particularly useful due to the ridiculous cost of an oil change and synthetic oils. And it keeps me from giving more money to the Arabs!!!

Old 03-02-2007, 05:55 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont care what the monitor says,I will change the oil with moble one synthetic every 6,000 miles.
I am planning on keeping the H3 for a long time and probobly keep it past 250,000 miles
At 50,000 im planning on changing trans fluid and the rear fluids and will repeat every 50,000.
Also every tire rotation I will clean and add brake lube to the brake pad shims so the brake noise doesnt come back.
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:17 PM
Hummer Expert

Desert Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

I have allways tried to change my oil and filter every 3-4,000 miles. I will continue to do so with my H3 but maybe bump the oil change interval to 4-5,000 depending on conditions.

Think about it, If car makers made engines and cars that lasted 300k-500k miles that would hurt their sales wouldn't it?

Newer cars run much cleaner and may have better internal tolerances. Oil filters may be better too?

I have had several engines in Jeeps and Toyota go 100 to 150K w/o any problems or burning oil etc.

Now with the H3 I need a new head at 9500 miles?

Oil may not wear out but if it is dirty

H3 2006 Adventure/Lux/5-speed/sunroof/rock rails/underbody skids/block heater/Boulder Grey/ Defender Roof Rack

Jeep TJ Rubicon 2003
1988 Jeep Cherokee

Gone - But- Not Forgotten 4x4's
1994 Jeep YJ
Toyota 4x4 Truck(s)
1970 Jeep CJ-5
1962 Willys Wagon
Old 03-02-2007, 06:17 PM
Hummer Authority

K9sH3 is on a distinguished road

I change it between 3K and 6k no matter what. And I change it before a trip if it is close to 3K miles.

Not only that I get a loaner truck to use while its being done.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:40 PM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point

When the Hummer says to. Todays high tech oil lasting only 3k is bull
Old 03-02-2007, 06:40 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

It has always amazed me why people drain perfectly good oil from their engine, just to replace with perfectly good oil. It should be quite easy for people to rationalize that a set mileage for oil changes is and always will be ludicrous. Just think about the different conditions the engine was run under that same number of miles.
Was the engine started up in sub-freezing weather everyday, versus being started up at 70 degrees F? Was the engine run for five minutes or six hours? Was it a constant speed or a stop and go condition?
I have had people tell me that they religiously change their oil every three thousand miles, all year long. Well, up here in the cold north, if the oil was wasted at three thousand miles of summer driving, it was destroyed at 2000 miles of winter driving, so why not change it at 2000 miles.
In other words, what I am trying to say is that miles mean nothing to the engine oil; it is the time the engine is running and the conditions that the engine is run at during this time span. The reason we use miles is the simple fact we have odometers; not engine hour meters on our vehicles.
Sensors monitor different engine conditions and temperatures as well as mileage while the engine is running and upon immediate startup. It is a well know fact, that short trips in the winter will destroy oil faster than long trips in the summer. So, the computer looks at the engine temp upon startup, along with the ambient temperatures, it clocks how long the engine runs to get up to operating temp, then how long it is at operating temp. These are the main factors in determining the oil life.
The algorithm talked about in the article posted by NewHummerGuy, looks at the sensors? readings from the PCM, and compares all this to its built-in charts. It does assume that you are using oil that is specified by General Motors (or better oil such as a synthetic in the case of the H3). If you use oil that does not meet the spec required, the output from the algorithms will be incorrect also, and your oil life monitor will not turn on the light when required.
In other words, oil that does not meet the spec, could breakdown earlier, but the computer does not know this, so it will keep the light on after the non-spec oil has degraded. Thus, your engine could be damaged. In turn, if the oil is better than spec (dyno versus synthetic), the oil life indicator system will turn on before the engine oil has degraded to a point where it requires changing. Thus, no harm to the engine.
If people are worried about their oil, and were wondering if the oil still had some life after the change, they can always send a sample off to an independent testing lab and get the results back in a week or two. I have done this many times, even when going on the oil life monitor to the big zero, the oil still had a TBN (total base number) above minimum, and the adaptives were still present.
I will add that if people are using an aftermarket foam type air filter, than it might be best to change earlier. How early, I cannot say. Foam type filters allow more dirt into the engine than the paper filters recommended, and the oil life system assumes the intake system is sealed correctly and has a paper filter.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:44 PM
Hummer Authority

Thanks F5. Well put

=================
Old 03-02-2007, 06:50 PM
Hummer Authority

Thanks, f5fstop! I guess that's the info I really wanted to hear - that you've actually tested the system - and it works!

Great info! Thanks!!!

Last edited by ChiHummer3 : 03-02-2007 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:25 PM
Hummer Guru

wpage is on a distinguished road

I love my H3 and do my own changes at my own intervals based on lessons learned. 1st change at 1k for break in 2nd at 4k 3rd at 7.5 using castol gtx and at 10k swiching to mobil 1 synthetic. Next change scheduled for 15k and then every 5k on synthetic. Rational is its my next big investment after the house. Plus while under its inspection time for other elements.
If my head fails with this TLC I will be upset!
(John 3:16)
2006 H3 Slate Blue,Header,Jacked,CAI,Toyo35's,HHO.
Priors...
Explorer
Commander
71 Vette
You Name it!
Old 03-02-2007, 07:31 PM
Hummer Expert

evldave is off the scale

I have 30k on my H3, everything from long drives of 10 hrs, to stop and go daily driving to/from work. I've changed my oil 3 times, once at about 2500 miles, and then following the oil life meter at about 10-20%. I just change it in december (that was the 3x time) and I'm guessing I'll be able to go until spring sometime. I was scared to do it because I grew up on old-school SB Chevy, but I trust the engineers at GM to get it right.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:44 PM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

I do it when the puter tells me to. I run Mobile one...soon to be Royal Purple.