H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 08-03-2005, 11:15 AM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

We set out yesterday on the ultimate road trip from Missouri in the H3 to visit our daughter in Calgary, and make the drive up to Whitehorse, through Fort Nelson in Yukon Territory before they close the Yukon Highway for the winter. They have a computer here at the Doubletree in Omaha and we're getting ready to set out on the road. 7,122 miles on the odometer now, and probably will have over 14,000 when we return in October and the Hummer is running just great! Got all the required spare parts I need for a Yukon Highway permit except the required two spare tires, so I'm hoping they'll let me go with the 6 cans of fix-a-flat I brought along, and of course I never go anywhere without a couple of rolls of duct tape LOL. If not, I'll have to pick up an extra tire and rim in Calgary. Will post some pictures when I get up to Whitehorse, Yukon Territory in September. We did this drive in '94 in the Jeep Cherokee, and the scenery is spectacular, and we know more of what to expect now - will pick up some spare gas cans to strap to the roof in Fort Nelson. Except for getting totally covered in bugs last night and stopping to clean the windshield twice, the H3 is running GREAT and averaged 18.1 mpg yesterday! Take care all.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:15 AM
Hummer Authority

We set out yesterday on the ultimate road trip from Missouri in the H3 to visit our daughter in Calgary, and make the drive up to Whitehorse, through Fort Nelson in Yukon Territory before they close the Yukon Highway for the winter. They have a computer here at the Doubletree in Omaha and we're getting ready to set out on the road. 7,122 miles on the odometer now, and probably will have over 14,000 when we return in October and the Hummer is running just great! Got all the required spare parts I need for a Yukon Highway permit except the required two spare tires, so I'm hoping they'll let me go with the 6 cans of fix-a-flat I brought along, and of course I never go anywhere without a couple of rolls of duct tape LOL. If not, I'll have to pick up an extra tire and rim in Calgary. Will post some pictures when I get up to Whitehorse, Yukon Territory in September. We did this drive in '94 in the Jeep Cherokee, and the scenery is spectacular, and we know more of what to expect now - will pick up some spare gas cans to strap to the roof in Fort Nelson. Except for getting totally covered in bugs last night and stopping to clean the windshield twice, the H3 is running GREAT and averaged 18.1 mpg yesterday! Take care all.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:42 AM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Have a great a trip Jim and be safe. Sounds like it will be incredible. Post pics when you get a chance.

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 08-03-2005, 02:06 PM

BUKHUM is off the scale

sounds like a great trip to take the H3 on...

Wheel safely!
Old 08-05-2005, 05:17 PM
Hummer Authority

Having a great trip and arrived at the Delta Bow Valley Hotel in Calgary, Alberta last night and they have computers galore in their business center - 1897 miles from MO and 9,045 on the odometer and the H3 is doing great and the more time I spend in these seats the more I want one of them in my den.
Only big surprise was the big traffic tie up at customs on I15 going into Canada - two and half hour wait, but if it helps security I'm all for it. I met the nicest couple, Paul and Sheila in a burnt orange H2 from Colorado while waiting at the border that told me of a fantastic trail outside of Calgary at Kanasckas sp?. I've found using Rain-X on the windshield and polishing it off as you would wax on the body helps the bugs on the windshield a lot. Averaging 17.82 mpg since we left home, but I've been pretty heavy footed especially on quiet Canadian Route 2. Today I got the oil changed at a Quick Lube up here and I'm tracking down a second spare tire and plain black rim so I'm prepared for anything out of Whitehorse. It just dawned on me this morning I'm going to have to get lug nuts too, because the H3 nuts won't work with a plain black steel rim. I also found "Pink Goo TS" in Alberta which I hear the border patrol here swears by in their tires for punctures.
Tomorrow the leisurely part starts in Banff before we head off for Whitehorse and probably Dawson on the "Top of the World Highway." How did I ever live without XM radio before?
Old 08-05-2005, 05:24 PM
Hummer Guru

You can listen to XM in Canada

Sounds like you are having a great time. Keep us posted when you can and have a safe trip.

Old 08-06-2005, 11:56 AM
Hummer Authority

Made it to Banff and the H3 is running GREAT!
It caused a minor commotion when I pulled up to the front door of the Banff Springs Hotel and got a few gawkers, including the doorman who left it parked in front overnight instead of in the hotel garage. If you live in the Northwest you should definitely take this trip. We drove by what we think is the trail at Kananaskas on the way over, and from a distance, it looks very challenging. In my opinion, Banff is one of the prettiest places I've ever been. We were surprised to see moose roaming the main street in Banff stopping traffic. Hummer Newbie, we've had XM till just outside of Calgary. I'm guessing XM only extends a little ways into Canada. Having the time of our lives and enjoying the H3 more everyday!!
Old 08-06-2005, 12:00 PM
Hummer Authority

The Banff Springs Hotel.
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2005, 12:38 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

You are one lucky dude.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:57 PM

canucksnaphook is off the scale

I have made the trip out to Banff and into Kananaskis Country outside Calgary as well. I would have to agree it maybe the most awe-inspiring place I have ever been. Try Lake Louise Jim if you get a chance. Thanks for the updates and these are the stories and the type of community that makes me want to purchase an H3. enjoy the trip !!

C.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:57 PM

H3wannabe is off the scale

Holy crap that is a nice pic.

H3wannabe
Old 08-06-2005, 01:53 PM
Hummer Guru

Is that an H3 that I can see parked out front of the hotel

Thanks for keeping us posted Jim and keep the pics coming. Looks absolutely beautiful.

Old 08-06-2005, 07:22 PM

Wild One is off the scale

Looking forward to more pics, thanks for sharing!
Old 08-07-2005, 01:52 PM
Hummer Authority

We are definitely spoiled in the US. Filled up with 18 gallons of regular in Banff at .94 a liter, which computes to about $3.80 a gallon.
Lots of caribou on the golf course in Banff and even a few moose. I've found out from the locals that moose are more dangerous than bear, and trees can be a man's best friend in moose confrontations.
Heard about a place off the beaten path called Kluane National Park where you can go all day without seeing another sole, they have wildlife galore, and they have 4-wheel drive only paths, in BC and Yukon Territory. We may have to set aside some time for an unplanned excursion there and do what Hummers do! Canuk, you know anything about the 4 wheel drive trails there?
Old 08-07-2005, 01:56 PM
Hummer Guru

Got to watch out for them there moose

Old 08-07-2005, 04:48 PM

canucksnaphook is off the scale

Sorry Jim, I dont know anything about the trails out there. When I went to Banff etc it was for golf ! Enjoy the rest of the trip and keep the stories and pics coming when you get the chance !

C.

and with the price of gas (due to taxes) Welcome to Canada !!
Old 08-11-2005, 11:23 AM
Hummer Authority

Banff is nice, but we will be setting out tomorrow for Ft. Nelson and Kluane National Park early because the weather forecast is good. I'm surprised how much rain they get up there. Got my first taste of how the H3 does in snow yesterday in a snow/sleet event in the mountains east of Lake Loise, I still like my cloth seats, but the leather seat heaters would have been nice yesterday. It did GREAT in 4HI and I didn't even select 4HI Lock in the snow. We got tons of material on Kluane National Park and the main book comes with a "You are in Bear Country Brochure" that is required reading before entering the park - I think they are trying to tell us something. They say you can drive right up to the edge of glaciers and Kluane National Park Wilderness Lodge has "guided 4X4 expeditions." Over 10,000 miles on the H3 and it's so much fun to drive, but needs a washing! I'm not sure this will come through, but this picture is from one of the "guided 4X4 expeditions" from the Wilderness Lodge.
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2005, 12:15 PM

Bugtussle is off the scale

Wow! what a trip...

I'm sure there are many of us that are GREEN with envy.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:19 PM

gbush is off the scale

Thanks for the updates Jim. I did a quick check on US Canadian gas prices. There is 3.785 liters in a US gallon so that works out to $3.55 a gallon in canadian $. A US dollar is worth 1.20 canadian so our canadian gas is about $2.96 US a gallon at .94 cents a liter.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:27 PM

gbush is off the scale

pic
Attached Files
File Type: gas_prices (7.8 KB, 520 views)