H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 02-13-2007, 12:54 AM
Hummer Veteran

Gottmud is on a distinguished road
Default Rear Shocks

I put the truxxx levelling kit on my truck 2 months ago. I am very very happy with the results, but I have some observations that need some answers.

Once the levelling kit was on (35" Toyos), I levelled the front to manufacturer specs. The whole truck sat 41.25" floor to bottom of fender, all the way around. Yes, i also did the measurement from center of hub to bottom of fender to manu specs. I measured the truck at the weekend, and everything has dropped 1/2" exactly all the way around. It know seems i have a hollow sort of a creaking sound coming from the rear of the vehicle only when its cold. Once the truck warms up, it goes away. Maybe shocks ????
Once they get warm from working, they pressurize maybe, and the noise goes away ??????. It is not the truxxx kit, that I know.
Anyone else have those sort of problems yet...
Old 02-13-2007, 03:29 AM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Rear Shocks

Sounds like a shock to me. Does the noise come from only one side? Or both?
Old 02-13-2007, 05:03 AM
Hummer Novice

HummerHead is on a distinguished road

Besides the shock problems you've had in the rear, how do you like the Truxxx leveling kit overall? How does it handle now compared to stock?
Old 02-13-2007, 04:42 PM
Hummer Expert

stagger_lee is on a distinguished road

Leaf springs, hangers and shackles can get a bit creeky. Try slappin some grease on the hangers and lube everything all up. Clean first. mud and water = noisey suspension

'06 Luxury Adventure
'99 Toyota 4runner 4x4
'71 FJ40

Last edited by stagger_lee : 02-13-2007 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:19 PM
Hummer Veteran

Gottmud is on a distinguished road

I do like the truxxx kit, and the truxxx company was excellent to deal with. They even sent me a couple of truxxx t-shirts. I find the truck skips on pot holes or similar road indents. I love the way it sits at an even height with the 35"s. I regularly wheel on 3 & 3.5 trails. The truck needs a front locker though on the 3.5 trails. I put a winch on, which compensates for when i get stuck. I have wheeled the crap out of this truck, and so far it has stood the test of time. The only problem I believe so far is the rear shocks, which rattle. I am going to replace them with ?????. I am also going to replace the fronts with ????. Any suggestions anyone. A little stiffer suspension would help on the trails in my opinion.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:30 PM
Hummer Guru

I'm still working on a solution for my shock replacement.

Not sure yet.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:08 PM
Hummer Expert

stagger_lee is on a distinguished road

Bilsteins are nice and stiff. Also look into Old man emu. Someone mentioned those on here, and they are great shocks I know forst hand, but Im not sure if they make shocks for H3's although anything will work as long as its the right weight rating, length and stiffness you want. Adjustable Kings might be an option too, no coils.

I also suggested to Bebes replacing stock leafs with Deavers, but kind of expensive.

http://www.deaverspring.com/products.htm

'06 Luxury Adventure
'99 Toyota 4runner 4x4
'71 FJ40

Last edited by stagger_lee : 02-13-2007 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:09 PM
Hummer Guru

Please keep in mind that very few companies make shocks for H3's.

You will most likely have to go with a custom application that will not be warranteed by the manufacturer in most cases.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:51 PM
Hummer Professional

Hunner is on a distinguished road

Hello, Bebe I just measured my clearance and my front is 24" from wheel center/axle center to bottom of fender. Back is 25. What is yours now and how long were the Ranchos you were running? Im just wondering how long we have to go or make extensions if it is a hard to get length. Im considering trying longer ones in the front. Do you think longer in the front than you had is the answer?
Traded 06 I-5 for 08H3 ALPHA/Adv,WarnPowerPlant9500,Warn 9000ti rear,Steelcraft brush/winch mt,RockyRoadrails/Hunner mod,GMUCP,Hunner rear/shock skids,OEM roof lights,Rola rack,2GoLights,Hunner steering gear mount,Purple Cranium diff guard,BulletProof tie rods,ARBsnorkle, SyKlone prefilter,Hunner intake pipe.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:18 PM
Hummer Guru

I do, and I was going to bring my shocks with me to work today to measure....but I left home without them

I'll try longer in the front, and then when I get my spring issue sorted out, I'll do the same for the rear.

My rear measurement is down to 22". The frot is at 22 1/4".
Old 02-15-2007, 06:30 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunner
Hello, Bebe I just measured my clearance and my front is 24" from wheel center/axle center to bottom of fender. Back is 25. What is yours now and how long were the Ranchos you were running? Im just wondering how long we have to go or make extensions if it is a hard to get length. Im considering trying longer ones in the front. Do you think longer in the front than you had is the answer?

Just curious, how many turns do you have, and are you running 35's?
Old 02-15-2007, 06:52 PM
Hummer Professional

8 turns and MTMTZ are 33.1 alignment all worked out.
Traded 06 I-5 for 08H3 ALPHA/Adv,WarnPowerPlant9500,Warn 9000ti rear,Steelcraft brush/winch mt,RockyRoadrails/Hunner mod,GMUCP,Hunner rear/shock skids,OEM roof lights,Rola rack,2GoLights,Hunner steering gear mount,Purple Cranium diff guard,BulletProof tie rods,ARBsnorkle, SyKlone prefilter,Hunner intake pipe.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:37 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
8 turns and MTMTZ are 33.1 alignment all worked out.

8 Turns ? ?

We did three truns on ours with Rancho 9000's. No noises from the shocks or any issues to date.

Lat time I measured ours (about a year ago) we were 24"F/ 25"R.

I did blow out a front 9000 shock on the H2 and was reapled under warranty without question. I have run the 9000's on all 6 HUMMERS over the past three years and only that one shock had issues. I will say that around the adjuster knobs you get rust if you don't keep them clean all the time. I have had that rust on every shock. it hasn't effected adjusting them at all, but looks "meh."
Old 02-15-2007, 11:44 PM
Hummer Professional

Maybe there is a point of diminishing returns on the cranking them up? More preload and no more lift? I thought at about 3 turns I only had a couple of inches. I will have to go back in posts and see what I wrote. I did not check to see how many more turns are left. We need a stock measurement if someone can post that. I will go to the dealer tomorrow if not. I went to my friends independent British car service where they have started modding Rovers. He uses and is in contact with Emu and we are discussing shock lengths. I believe we decided to measure from center of eye to top of all rubber and washer at top with the shock layed out extended, which of course it will do on a gas shock. A bracket similiar to the one from Truxx may work with stock length. Im not sure how to decide on the amount of travel. Im workin on it. Curious minds want to know! I'm happy with the clearance I have for the terrain I wheel.
Attached Images

Last edited by Hunner : 02-16-2007 at 12:18 AM.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:18 AM
Hummer Authority

Demo is an unknown quantity at this point

hey hunner, what is up with those skid plates?

I want em.

Sorry for rudely posting about another subject.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:23 AM
Hummer Professional

So like why not? ha ha missed this week waiting on steel for 60 of each piece x 4=120. Hopefully next week, the world of steel fab seems to have lots of job security! I'm gonna grabum while there still hot just as soon as I can. I am at their mercy. Here put this up as a screen saver until then.
Attached Images

Last edited by Hunner : 02-16-2007 at 12:26 AM.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:25 AM
Hummer Authority

Demo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
So like why not? ha ha missed this week waiting on steel for 60 of each piece x 4=120. Hopefully next week, the world of steel fab seems to have lots of job security! I'm gonna grabum while there still hot just as soon as I can.

Can't wait to strap em on.