Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > General Hummer Talk > Off-Roading

Old 05-10-2003, 03:21 PM

Peter is off the scale

Here are a few tips I learned from a fellow 4-wheeler that would have saved me from flipping my first H2 and hopefully will save you too should you get into a similar situation.

If you are going up a hill and about to flip backward throw it in neutral or push in the clutch with no brakes, your front wheels will touch back down you will roll back down the hill without flipping.

If you are going down hill as I was when I flipped it's even easier, just stomp on the gas. Your front tires will pull you forward and the rear will drop back to the ground. Sometimes when you go down a steep hill and touch the brakes the back end starts lifting to counter this just let off the brakes and it will come down. If that doesn't work stomp on the gas and back end will surely drop.

If you remember these simple rules when in a situation like that it can sure save the day.

Check out this photo from the Dakar Rally. I'm sure this person had their foot in it when touched down or they they would have ass over elbows all the way down the hill.
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2003, 03:21 PM

Peter is off the scale

Here are a few tips I learned from a fellow 4-wheeler that would have saved me from flipping my first H2 and hopefully will save you too should you get into a similar situation.

If you are going up a hill and about to flip backward throw it in neutral or push in the clutch with no brakes, your front wheels will touch back down you will roll back down the hill without flipping.

If you are going down hill as I was when I flipped it's even easier, just stomp on the gas. Your front tires will pull you forward and the rear will drop back to the ground. Sometimes when you go down a steep hill and touch the brakes the back end starts lifting to counter this just let off the brakes and it will come down. If that doesn't work stomp on the gas and back end will surely drop.

If you remember these simple rules when in a situation like that it can sure save the day.

Check out this photo from the Dakar Rally. I'm sure this person had their foot in it when touched down or they they would have ass over elbows all the way down the hill.
Old 05-13-2003, 05:53 PM

Mike97ZJ is off the scale

Those are good tips, thanks for sharing them.

I have one I'd like to add.

When in an offcamber situation, and you feel a rollover is happenning, steer downhill and hit the gas. That just may get you back on all fours and save you.

*member of the \"No Hummer Krew\"*
Old 05-13-2003, 09:03 PM

brianfriend is off the scale

And one of the worst things to do if you think you are going over is hitting the brakes. Rear end off the ground, hit the brakes and the rest of the trip is in slow motion for you as you wonder if you are going over or not. Hard to fight the urge though.

If it can break it can be fixed.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:11 PM

bklynh2srock is off the scale

"Hard to fight the urge though."

That's exactly what I'm worried about. That I will get "brain freeze" if or when it ever happens to me.
but she knows what she knows.
Give that girl wings and that\'s all she wrote.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:16 AM

brianfriend is off the scale

If you wheel enough it will happen.

Best thing t do would be find a place to practice. Find a place wher you can get a rear wheel off the ground with your front end dipped. You need to have a friend with you when you do this. MAKE DAMB SURE YOU KNOW YOU CAN'T FLOP OVER. Find a creavace or something thaqt you can dive into (cross axle situation) and as your front wheel drops and your rear comes off the gournd lock the brakes. You will feel how high that rear end comes up and it will be scary.

Remember the friend you brought with you? well, he was outside watching your expression and your truck. And I bet he will say you were very far from roll over but you probably felt like calling your insurance agent. It is good to have him do the same thing so you can see exactly what your truck does and compare how you felt to what the actual risk is. You will be very surprised.

Now do the same exercise again and this time instead of locking the brakes let off them slightly. Dramatic difference.

If it can break it can be fixed.
Old 05-17-2003, 10:02 PM
Hummer Expert

Hummer Man is off the scale

Brianfriend you are right on the money - you have to do this drill 50 times. So that when you have to use it it is instinctive!

"FORUM FOUNDING MEMBER 11/03/02 - #1 H2 SITE"