Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > General Hummer Talk > Off-Roading

Old 01-06-2003, 04:18 AM

H2HH is off the scale

Please, enlighten me. What is your definition of Off-Road. I frequently go off-pavement, but am usually driving in someone else's tracks. I've only driven on private property truely "off-road" or more descriptively "off-track".
Thanks
H
Old 01-06-2003, 04:18 AM

H2HH is off the scale

Please, enlighten me. What is your definition of Off-Road. I frequently go off-pavement, but am usually driving in someone else's tracks. I've only driven on private property truely "off-road" or more descriptively "off-track".
Thanks
H
Old 01-08-2003, 12:59 AM

Mike97ZJ is off the scale

#2 is the worst one.

It's called "Tread Lightly!" Meaning you stay one the existing trail.

That's how trails get closed, when people start making thier own trails and wrecking the enviroment.

I think it starts off small. You get your first 4wd, and start exploring fire roads. Eventually you want to do something a bit more challenging, and then get hooked up with people who really wheel, and then it just snowballs from there. Before you know it, your truck is all scratched up and your credit cards are maxxed out.

That's what happened to me. With the exception of the maxed out cards.

Before I had my Jeep, I had an old Chevy pickup on 35's. My idea of wheelign was blasting through mud.

Once I got the Jeep, I knew it was too small for stuff like that. I ended up hooking up with some other Jeepers over the internet, and that's how I got introduced to trail running and rock crawling.

Now, I don't consider myself wheelin' until I have to use low range.

1997 Grand Cherokee TSi
It's got some lift, skids, and rock rails, among other things.

*member of the \"No Hummer Krew\"*
Old 01-08-2003, 06:35 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Hmmm....there is no definitive answer. I'd imagine when the pavement, asphalt or concrete stop...your "off" the road and when your on dirt, soil or rocks....your officially offroading.

A fire-road or access road is just barely offroading. Once you need 4-wheel drive and perhaps start using the low-range and going over things that would stop your typical sedan..that's pretty much offroading.

Keeping it simple.
Old 01-09-2003, 12:23 AM
Hummer Expert

Zing is off the scale

Here is a definition of off pavement me and Kelleymac came up with...

Offroading is any drive off pavement that is not for transportation from point A to point B but specifically for enjoyment of varied terrain and to test the capabilities of the vehicle and/or driver. For some that could be rock crawling and crossing rivers, for others that could be driving down bumpy dirt trail or fire road.

We have to still run this by Mac, I think because he has the most posts on this site, but so far it seems to cover it.
Old 01-10-2003, 03:15 AM

JJ is off the scale

Zazing and Kelleymac - I'm with you, afterall who am I to argue with a meeting of the minds from the east coast and the west coast. But, how about the case when I'm off-pavement, heading to my favorite hiking or mountain biking spot (point A to point B) and not necessarily in it for the enjoyment of the drive. I'm still off-roading just using it as a means to get to some incredible hiking.

Maybe your point of off-roading is a description of the "experience" of off-roading as opposed to the "act" of off-roading? In any case, its all good.........

JJ
Old 01-11-2003, 02:07 AM
Hummer Expert

Zing is off the scale

JJ - that is a very valid point and something we should consider. How about this...

Offroading is a drive off pavement that includes varied terrain and/or conditions that test the capabilities of the vehicle and/or driver. For some that could be rock crawling or crossing rivers, for others that could be driving down a bumpy dirt trail or fire road. Offroading may be incidental to reaching to a particular desitination or carried out solely for the pure fun and enjoyment of the offroad driving experience.

We will run now this by HeeHaw because he uses his H2 to reach his favorite fishing spots.
Old 01-13-2003, 03:05 AM

kelleymac2000 is off the scale

Z is giving me undue credit, as this is his creation, I just added a couple of words. Geez, how long do we have to wait for Mac and Hee Haw to weigh in????

Good addition, JJ

Kelley
Old 01-14-2003, 05:32 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

I went off-road twice for very practical reasons:
1/ Prove to myself I can do it.
2/ I can honestly answer YES when asked if I go off-road.
3/ I can have some photos to prove it.
4/ Make sure I am not missing out on something great.

I will do it again,
1/ When I run out of things to do, or
2/ Go with friends to have some fun.

I have followed this topic and I have no idea what you guys are doing, too deep for me. BTW, my dealer offered to wash my Hummer for me if I go off-road with them.
Old 01-24-2003, 06:23 PM

Dustin is off the scale

Well my personal opinion, for what it is worth, is this. When you leave the world behind and know that there is chance that you may not get back to the "PAVED" road without the asistance of a friend and a winch or a helicopter you are probably "Off-Road". As well when you do horrific damage to the suspension on your H@ and it is only 2 months old it was probably "Off-Road" when you done it.