H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H1 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H1

Old 03-09-2005, 12:47 PM

oma is off the scale

I've researched all the threads about MT/R's, GSA's, and other competing tires. I am considering swaping my GSA's for SSR's. Should I keep my run-flats? I already know how much it will cost to re-install them so that is not a deciding factor. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:47 PM

oma is off the scale

I've researched all the threads about MT/R's, GSA's, and other competing tires. I am considering swaping my GSA's for SSR's. Should I keep my run-flats? I already know how much it will cost to re-install them so that is not a deciding factor. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:25 AM
Hummer Authority

ssgharkness020147 is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldent want them in my truck. The main reason being the cost, which as you said is not a factor in your case. The other reason being the trouble with them. They can come loose (though the new ones are supposed to be better) and you will have to have your tire dismounted and have the runflat fixed and re-installed. That stuff doesnt come cheap, so why bother. I think its easier and more cost effective to carry a spare. And with a spare you can rotate it in and out of service with your other four tires to get some more miles out of your tires, which with tires like SSR's is a good thing.

-007=
Old 01-03-2006, 10:54 PM
Hummer Veteran

Ground hawg is an unknown quantity at this point

I would sujest loosing them.
I resently scraped off two tires becouse of punctures that could not be fixed becouse the runflat grease had enterd into the puncture hole. thus efectivly stopping the plugs from sticking. also lots of tire replacement shopes willnot work on tires fited with runflats (personal experiance). also If you require tire swap it can be very expensive. my local dealer in Columbus Ohio wanted $680.00 to put on tires that I already owned. for that money you can get a compresor two tire leavers from your local farm shop (big leavers not the type you'd use on a civic)1 4 ton farm jack, placed under rear bumper to break the bead. 1 can WD40, 1 can propaine(after you've strugeled trying to bead a 37x12.5/16.5 for two hours you'll figer what it's for. dont use too much) but it works in a flash(and quite a bang.
by the time i got round to doing the forth tire I was down to 40 minutes from removal to replacement. now the runflats are off I t'm pritty sure I can do it a lot quicker than that.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:00 AM
Hummer Veteran

RonB is off the scale

I have 1 piece steel wheels on my '97 and recently took the runflats out (they were the 2 piece runflats). I weighed them...36 lbs each wheel! I imagine there's some wear and tear saved losing the extra weight.

RonB
Old 01-21-2006, 11:35 AM
Hummer Professional

Joe is off the scale

Which rims do you have?
If they are 2pc 16.5 steels you will want some sort of beadlocking in them whether its the runflats or the smaller beadlock. There is a ton of debate on how safe running without runflat/beadlocks is while using the 16.5" rims which I won't go in to. Personally I got rid of the runflats in favor of the smaller beadlocks in my 2pc. They are harder to find but usually can be had for about $300 for a set of 4. If you do any kind of offroading I would recommend something.

2003 H2

Homepage:
http://www.hummerh1.net
Old 05-22-2007, 12:30 PM
Hummer Veteran

Ground hawg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Run-flats - Keep them or lose them?

OK first off let me admit "I WAS WRONG". I'm the guy that has told everybody "you dont need runflats, they have no use.WRONG!!!!!!!!
Just to let you know Friday last week I had a rear tire blow out. not a small hole but something I can fit my hand in. So I pull over to the side of the road, take the standard Hummer jack out, and Sh/t IT WONT FRIGIN FIT COS the arms to low. so I cant even lift up the vehicle to change the tire.

so just be aware if your not going to use runflats take your farm jack.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:17 AM
Hummer Veteran

hmcoleap is on a distinguished road

X2 on what Joe said below...

If you have 2-piece wheels, keep them unless you have beadlocks to replace them with. If you have the 1-piece steel wheels with 2-piece runflats, then dump the runflats -- they are junk in the first place.

The guys who have dumped their runflats and are running on 2-piece wheels without any runflats or beadlocks are on borrowed time if they wheel at all - they are just begging for a thrown bead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
Which rims do you have?
If they are 2pc 16.5 steels you will want some sort of beadlocking in them whether its the runflats or the smaller beadlock. There is a ton of debate on how safe running without runflat/beadlocks is while using the 16.5" rims which I won't go in to. Personally I got rid of the runflats in favor of the smaller beadlocks in my 2pc. They are harder to find but usually can be had for about $300 for a set of 4. If you do any kind of offroading I would recommend something.

-----------------------

/''T''|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**"\)_)

manny(at)serious4x4.com
http://www.serious4x4.com
Old 10-08-2007, 11:37 PM
Hummer Veteran

lvs is off the scale

Just thought I would put a follow up on here for future reference for those who may be searching for this same question.

I ended up keeping the runflats. I have 1" one piece alum. wheels and had swampers put on. They balanced fine and I have had no issues with them. I typically trailer it out if I'm going a long way so at least 75% of the wear is off-road. The swampers have worn better than I was told and I have been very happy with them. I can't believe some of the gashes I got in Moab and they have not blown yet. I have about 15,000 miles on them and they are at about 50% of the tread left.