H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 02-22-2007, 01:40 AM
Hummer Veteran

MountainBlue is on a distinguished road
Default What does a busted front diff sound like??

My just started to click and clack in the 4 auto mode. It goes away when locked. Or is this more likely a CV joint going? And I don't abuse it. I did high center it in the snow, but that was a month ago and this just started happening.
Volant intake, Airaid TB spacer, Custom down pipe, Magnaflow dual Exhaust, NGK iridium plugs, Nitto TG -AT295/75/16, Brush guard, tail light guards, mud guards, Chrome Shorty Antenna & bracket, Chrome lower punch grill & lettering, Chrome side moldings, smoked side marker lenses, 3-D Hummer hitch plug, Body color spare cover, & of course DEBADGED!
Old 02-22-2007, 06:24 PM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What does a busted front diff sound like??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBlue
My just started to click and clack in the 4 auto mode. It goes away when locked. Or is this more likely a CV joint going? And I don't abuse it. I did high center it in the snow, but that was a month ago and this just started happening.

At least in my case, you would mostly hear it while coasting, in 4 hi., 4 hi lock. That was when my pinion gear was chipped.

Depending on how badly (if) you chewed up the ring gear, it would be undriveable, or at least very noisy, like chunky jingle bells.

Take it in and have the dealer drive it.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:06 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummBebe
At least in my case, you would mostly hear it while coasting, in 4 hi., 4 hi lock. That was when my pinion gear was chipped.

Depending on how badly (if) you chewed up the ring gear, it would be undriveable, or at least very noisy, like chunky jingle bells.

Take it in and have the dealer drive it.

What she said, and normally is followed by curse words.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:48 PM
Hummer Veteran

It was clacking REALLY bad this morning so we dumped it at the dealer. Of course, by the time we drove it the 55 miles, we couldn't duplicate the noise, but the guy thought it might be the CV's since he just had an H3 in with the same problem, so he took it and will try in the morning. They gave us a Chey Equinox to drive. Feels small. Oh well, at least it'll get fixed.
Volant intake, Airaid TB spacer, Custom down pipe, Magnaflow dual Exhaust, NGK iridium plugs, Nitto TG -AT295/75/16, Brush guard, tail light guards, mud guards, Chrome Shorty Antenna & bracket, Chrome lower punch grill & lettering, Chrome side moldings, smoked side marker lenses, 3-D Hummer hitch plug, Body color spare cover, & of course DEBADGED!
Old 02-23-2007, 06:06 AM
Hummer Veteran

BradO is off the scale

CV half shaft passenger side. Just my blind guess...
Old 02-24-2007, 02:54 AM
Hummer Veteran

Got it back, really fast service. They said I had a bad front drive shaft. I really haven't gone through the invoice, so I don't know exactly what was replaced, but it isn't making the clacking anymore. I was very surprised at how much better the whole experience was this time. I haven't been there in a few months and they've stepped it up. At least I won't dread having to go in next time.