Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > ETC. Forums > General Off Topic

Old 11-19-2006, 03:20 PM
Hummer Deity

h2co-pilot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default $1.1B in Hummers Order Issued by US Army

Interesting. Didn't some of you see one of the M1165 HMMWVs?

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/...acom/index.php

The USA's High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle (HMMWV) remains the main source of mobility for US land forces. Despite vastly accelerated wear cause by the extra weight of up-armoring the vehicles, and the steady movement of US allies to more survivable options designed for the non-linear battlefield, the size of the existing fleet ensures that the "Humvee" (or "Hummer") is expected to remain in that leading role for some time to come. This will remain true even after the coming expiration of its contract and fielding of a replacement. There is no shortage of mine-resistant replacement contenders - though DID readers will also recall that up-armored is not the same thing as mine-resistant.
Meanwhile, the US Army has just issued over $1 billion in orders for more Hummers.

M1114 On Patrol in Iraq

Both of these contracts were announced on November 16, 2006 as firm-fixed-price contract modifications to a sole source contract initiated on July 17, 2000 by U.S. Army Tank-Automotive and Armaments Command in Warren, MI, and issued to AM General L.L.C. in South Bend, IN. Work is expected to be complete by Dec. 31, 2007.

Note that M1151 Hummers are Enhanced Armament Carriers, while M1152s are Enhanced Troop/ Cargo/ Shelter Carriers and M1152P1s are ambulances. They're based on the same "A2" chassis as the M1114 up-armored Humvee and the M1151 in particular may be hard to tell apart, but there are important differences... and this DID article explains them. The M1151 & M1152 HMMWV models were formally annouced on October 20, 2004; and AMC reported first fielding of these vehicles in Iraq on March 20, 2006.
  • A $571.5 million modification for M1151A1 high mobility multi-purpose wheeled vehicles (DAAE07-01-C-S001).
  • A $545.6 million modification for M1152A1 and M1165A1 high mobility multi-purpose wheeled vehicles with B kits (DAAE07-01-C-S001).
M1165 HMMWV
(click to view full)

The ongoing mystery of what exactly the M1165A1 HMMWV is, and what modifications it incorporates, remains unsolved.

If anyone truly knows here, they ask that you email them.

Last edited by h2co-pilot : 11-19-2006 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:26 PM
Hummer Authority

BlueHUMMERH2 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: $1.1B in Hummers Order Issued by US Army

Cool to know AM General's got this order! Means HMMWV (and H1 parts hopefully) will keep being produced.

Maybe the M1165A1 is that vehicle displayed at Homecoming? There was one, closest to the registration building, that was built on the HMMWV chassis, but had a v-shaped bottom, and was sort of a capsule. I think that was experiemental however.

The other thing I can think of is the vehicle that was sitting in the middle of that row at the AM General display. This one looked like a HMMWV, but on steroids. It was bigger, and ... well, I don't know. Something was different about it.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:52 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2co-pilot
Interesting. Didn't some of you see one of the M1165 HMMWVs?

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/...acom/index.php

The USA's High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle (HMMWV) remains the main source of mobility for US land forces. Despite vastly accelerated wear cause by the extra weight of up-armoring the vehicles, and the steady movement of US allies to more survivable options designed for the non-linear battlefield, the size of the existing fleet ensures that the "Humvee" (or "Hummer") is expected to remain in that leading role for some time to come. This will remain true even after the coming expiration of its contract and fielding of a replacement. There is no shortage of mine-resistant replacement contenders - though DID readers will also recall that up-armored is not the same thing as mine-resistant.
Meanwhile, the US Army has just issued over $1 billion in orders for more Hummers.

M1114 On Patrol in Iraq

Both of these contracts were announced on November 16, 2006 as firm-fixed-price contract modifications to a sole source contract initiated on July 17, 2000 by U.S. Army Tank-Automotive and Armaments Command in Warren, MI, and issued to AM General L.L.C. in South Bend, IN. Work is expected to be complete by Dec. 31, 2007.

Note that M1151 Hummers are Enhanced Armament Carriers, while M1152s are Enhanced Troop/ Cargo/ Shelter Carriers and M1152P1s are ambulances. They're based on the same "A2" chassis as the M1114 up-armored Humvee and the M1151 in particular may be hard to tell apart, but there are important differences... and this DID article explains them. The M1151 & M1152 HMMWV models were formally annouced on October 20, 2004; and AMC reported first fielding of these vehicles in Iraq on March 20, 2006.
  • A $571.5 million modification for M1151A1 high mobility multi-purpose wheeled vehicles (DAAE07-01-C-S001).
  • A $545.6 million modification for M1152A1 and M1165A1 high mobility multi-purpose wheeled vehicles with B kits (DAAE07-01-C-S001).
M1165 HMMWV
(click to view full)

The ongoing mystery of what exactly the M1165A1 HMMWV is, and what modifications it incorporates, remains unsolved.

If anyone truly knows here, they ask that you email them.
I think the M1165A1 is just the ECV version of the HMMWV that is at the up-armored level that's part of the new contract provisions. It will carry things like the weapons systems and the COM huts, heavy crap.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:01 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

After Iraq is done, I'd like to have an uparmored H1 for cruising around the hood.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:12 PM
Hummer Authority

BlueHUMMERH2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenP
After Iraq is done, I'd like to have an uparmored H1 for cruising around the hood.

You're really scared of those democrats, aren't you?
Old 11-19-2006, 10:39 PM
Hummer Authority

Albie is off the scale

is GM's stock going to go upppp
Old 11-19-2006, 10:58 PM
Hummer Deity

h2co-pilot is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie
is GM's stock going to go upppp
AM General for sure.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:38 PM
Hummer Professional

tanklizard is an unknown quantity at this point

I think Blue hummer has it. This site refers to the M1165:
http://www.olive-drab.com/od_mvg_hmmwv_uparmor.php

"The M-1165 is a four door HMMWV on an ECV (Expanded Capacity Vehicle) chassis. This vehicle was contracted in 2006 to combine the roles of the M1097A2 and M1113 models described above on this page."

Surprisingly Armor Holdings, the company that makes the armor kits, has info about the M1151 and M1152 but nothing about the M1165.

http://http://adg.armorholdings.com/...pid=40&aid=410

Sorry, I haven't been here for a while and wanted to play with the new toys :>.