H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 06-08-2013, 08:33 PM
Hummer Veteran

SMITH23H2SUT is on a distinguished road
Default 100 mph speed limited.REALLY?

Just found out my HUMMER does not go over 100 mph due to a factory speed limiter.I'm pissed and embarrassed.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:08 PM

fyr145 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 100 mph speed limited.REALLY?

while one part of me can certainly understand your feelings about it, my other side becomes curious as to why would you even want to go that fast in a vehicle that's 4600 pounds? Speaking purely from a safety position, the needed safe braking distance to be able to get stopped in time would be out driven thus resulting in a violent collision with severe wreckage. Factors that would contribute to this would be a blown tire (I'm not sure if the tires you are currently using are even rated for those speeds). Another possibility would be if someone pulled out in front of you or might there be some type of unknown debris in the roadway that you are driving on.

I apologize ahead of time for sounding like a "Negative Nancy" or a "Debbie Downer" here. In my line of work I have seen so many vehicle accidents (a few also involving H2's) that it just makes me stand there for a moment and scratch my head wondering why someone would even want to go that fast in the first place. I do get your "need for speed" desires but reality and physics supersedes personal desires sooner or later......always remember that FASTER CRASHES HARDER.

Just my .02.

I have heard that some of the power programmers like Hypertech & Diablo have a speed limiter remover in some of their kits. Maybe these would work for you???
Old 06-08-2013, 11:30 PM
Hummer Professional

iwillnc is on a distinguished road

Do tell the results of these h2 wrecks?
Old 06-08-2013, 11:35 PM
Hummer Expert

LoJac963 is on a distinguished road

Umm yeah I have to agree. If you wanted something fast and safe at speed an H2 isn't it. I've had mine up to 85 and that's it but that was going up north in AZ where the interstate speed limits are pretty high.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwillnc
Do tell the results of these h2 wrecks?

Well, without going into the graphic details...............

Basically, what I have noticed in my career arriving at vehicular accidents is that there is one rule that usually applies itself at the moment of impact. Its called the "Lugnut Rule". This rule is typically defined as follows: He who has the most lugnuts at the time of the crash usually "wins". The term "wins" means they have the lower amount of damage and/or the level of injury when compared to the other vehicles occupant(s).

Keeping in mind that there are obvious exceptions to this rule. For example; not wearing your seat belt. I think you all know what happens in this scenario. So while physics does play a role here, like most anything in life, there are exceptions to any rule. Its all a question of degrees.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:56 AM

jsbihn is on a distinguished road

fyr,
I would have to agree with what you said. I work the ER and on my off time I do fire/rescue/medical for the local fire department and have seen my share of accidents.

The "lugnut rule" is the first time I have ever heard of this but in thinking it is pretty much spot on.
The heavier the vehicle, the more lugnuts. An 18 wheeler has lots of lugnuts.
So 18 wheeler versus Honda Civic....

As for 4600 pounds? I think you might have opposed the numbers there. The H2 is about 6400+ lbs curb weight. Maybe you are thinking of the H3?? I think they are around 4600 lbs.

SMITH,
Not that I (or I am sure this forum) condones speeding, but I have never taken my vehicle really above 80. Sure thats is a bit excessive too, but this was on the interstate with no traffic and open roads. Sure it is stable, but it definitely isnt my Vette. Saying that, I think another thing you have to understand besides the control, stopping and crash factor is the fact that you have specific tires on your truck.
Check the rating.
Most tires used for our vehicles are a Q rating, which means those tires are rated at a maximum speed of less then 100 mph (actually I think Q = 99mph). So at 100mph you were already over the edge of a Q rated tire. So would you really want to go that fast in a tire not designed to handle it?
Even if it was an S or T rating (which is a few mph higher than 100 mph, roughly 10-15mph), understand that these are the still tire that are designed for that top speed at in perfect condition. I have ZR-rated tires on my Vette, which means they are rated to go 186 mph but I would never push them that far. Between heat build-up and tire wear and break down.....
Just saying, be safe. You are too valuable on this forum for us to loose you
And yes, the handle held tuners do have a limiter remover.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbihn
fyr,
I would have to agree with what you said. I work the ER and on my off time I do fire/rescue/medical for the local fire department and have seen my share of accidents.

The "lugnut rule" is the first time I have ever heard of this but in thinking it is pretty much spot on.

As for 4600 pounds? I think you might have opposed the numbers there. The H2 is about 6400+ lbs curb weight. Maybe you are thinking of the H3?? I think they are around 4600 lbs.

jsbihn,

yes, I may have accidentally reversed the numbers. It should be 6400 lbs. Even more reason to not take these vehicles beyond what they were designed for.

Nice to see we have similar backgrounds.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:17 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbihn
fyr,

SMITH,
Not that I (or I am sure this forum) condones speeding, but I have never taken my vehicle really above 80. Sure thats is a bit excessive too, but this was on the interstate with no traffic and open roads. Sure it is stable, but it definitely isnt my Vette. Saying that, I think another thing you have to understand besides the control, stopping and crash factor is the fact that you have specific tires on your truck.
Check the rating.
Most tires used for our vehicles are a Q rating, which means those tires are rated at a maximum speed of less then 100 mph (actually I think Q = 99mph). So at 100mph you were already over the edge of a Q rated tire. So would you really want to go that fast in a tire not designed to handle it?
Even if it was an S or T rating (which is a few mph higher than 100 mph, roughly 10-15mph), understand that these are the still tire that are designed for that top speed at in perfect condition. I have ZR-rated tires on my Vette, which means they are rated to go 186 mph but I would never push them that far. Between heat build-up and tire wear and break down.....
Just saying, be safe. You are too valuable on this forum for us to loose you
And yes, the handle held tuners do have a limiter remover.

Thanks for the concern. I don't drive that fast. not much above 75 mph at times. The speed limit here in Mass is 65mph, and our Staties rarely pull one over for 75 on the Mass Pike. I had a discussion with a friend of mine who has a Denali and he brought the facts up to me. I couldn't believe a vehicle which is built like a tank would be governed at 100 mph, when you have tin cans that have factory speeds reaching over 100mph...not. Honda civics approx $13000 and have a factory top speed over 1oomph, I could just imagine what would happen to it's driver crashing at that speed.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:10 PM

fyr,
Yeah I actually have my H2 setup with all my gear for rescue and outfitted with flashers. I did that because when responding to a call it still seems most people dont want to get the heck out of the way of a BIG AZZ truck coming at them, so now I am giving them more reason. It is nice because if there is a situation in the woods, I just roll on in. Or if another Hurricane comes like last year and we get flooded in, I can still go out. (I have a picture of me and the Nat. Guard's H1 together when we were out on patrol and found a flooded area that people were trying to cross.

SMITH,
Dont worry about the top speed so much. I know you really arent and probably looking at it the same way I am which is "why restict". I think they do that alot with the trucks. Might even be a government thing. My 2006 Tundra was governed at 105mph. Found this out from the Tundra forum because they were upset too. I think the reason why is because usually the excessive weight and the higher center of gravity is alot different than a car.
Sure I feel that if you want to do something you should be able to do it, without someone telling you so (Ie. the seatbelt bell if your belt isnt on, or the restrictor on your speed, or whatever else).
It should be your choice.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:07 PM

You had a Tundra too ??!! So did I, my previous vehicle was a 2000 Ivan Stewart TRD Toyota Tundra!!!! I used to be a moderator on the tundra website as well. The owner of that website and I are still good friends.

Small world!!!.......Its amazing sometimes to see just how much identical history members have with their vehicles.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:44 AM

Next you will say you had an MR2
Old 06-10-2013, 02:03 AM

Nope................................
Old 06-11-2013, 03:00 AM
Hummer Authority

guruerror is on a distinguished road

LOL...people are funny. 100MPH limit on a HUMMER embarrasses you? Maybe you bought the wrong vehicle?

80-85's good for me on a long haul...sh!t my MTs are only speed rated at 'Q'
Old 06-11-2013, 09:59 PM
Hummer Veteran

New York City is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyr145
while one part of me can certainly understand your feelings about it, my other side becomes curious as to why would you even want to go that fast in a vehicle that's 4600 pounds? Speaking purely from a safety position, the needed safe braking distance to be able to get stopped in time would be out driven thus resulting in a violent collision with severe wreckage. Factors that would contribute to this would be a blown tire (I'm not sure if the tires you are currently using are even rated for those speeds). Another possibility would be if someone pulled out in front of you or might there be some type of unknown debris in the roadway that you are driving on.

I apologize ahead of time for sounding like a "Negative Nancy" or a "Debbie Downer" here. In my line of work I have seen so many vehicle accidents (a few also involving H2's) that it just makes me stand there for a moment and scratch my head wondering why someone would even want to go that fast in the first place. I do get your "need for speed" desires but reality and physics supersedes personal desires sooner or later......always remember that FASTER CRASHES HARDER.

Just my .02.

I have heard that some of the power programmers like Hypertech & Diablo have a speed limiter remover in some of their kits. Maybe these would work for you???

An h2 weights 4600 pounds? I thought it was 6500 pounds..

(Confused)
Old 06-11-2013, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York City
An h2 weights 4600 pounds? I thought it was 6500 pounds..

(Confused)

Please re-read my response in post #7..........
Old 06-12-2013, 01:59 AM
Hummer Veteran

New York City is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyr145
Please re-read my response in post #7..........

Sorry All I did was read the first few post.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:42 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruerror
LOL...people are funny. 100MPH limit on a HUMMER embarrasses you? Maybe you bought the wrong vehicle?

80-85's good for me on a long haul...sh!t my MTs are only speed rated at 'Q'

YUP...ESPECIALLY WHEN IT'S A FORD ESCAPE THAT WAS MY CHALLENGER.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:58 AM
Hummer Authority

guruerror is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMITH23H2SUT
YUP...ESPECIALLY WHEN IT'S A FORD ESCAPE THAT WAS MY CHALLENGER.
The only "challengers" for a HUMMER should be trails, rocks, mud holes, and the like. If you're worried about racing Escapes you should have bought an Equinox.

...it's like being embarrassed of a Corvette because it didn't come with a trailer hitch.
...not what it was made for.

Last edited by guruerror : 06-12-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:04 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruerror
The only "challengers" for a HUMMER should be trails, rocks, mud holes, and the like. If you're worried about racing Escapes you should have bought an Equinox.

...it's like being embarrassed of a Corvette because it didn't come with a trailer hitch.
...not what it was made for.

**** trails,rocks and mud holes I live in an Urban Jungle. I bought the HUMMER for pot holes and severe flooding. When I catch this ****er again hopefully I'll be in my second whip, the 2005 Bentley Continental GT. I was only embarrassed of what I was in at the time.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMITH23H2SUT
............When I catch this ****er again hopefully I'll be in my second whip, the 2005 Bentley Continental GT.I was only embarrassed of what I was in at the time.

You know what they say about paybacks......................