Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > ETC. Forums > General Off Topic

Old 05-19-2008, 02:17 AM
Hummer Veteran

H3NCO is on a distinguished road
Default My 1911 Project, Colt 1991A1 Series 80

I searched and didn't see an appropriate thread already started for firearms projects so here goes:

I received a Colt 1991A1 Model 80 in a trade of goods and thought I would share the build project. I am not an expert with the 1911 but have been wanting to explore a bit. I have owned a few Glocks and enjoy their simplicity. I used to own a Kimber TLE and enjoyed shooting it.
Here are the before shots:

Feb 08:
What I decided to do is confer with a recommended gunsmith. Some of my concerns that I felt were important to address is ensuring no bad decisions or work was done previously. As stated I received this weapon in a trade of goods from a stranger. I cleared the serial number at work before accepting the deal. After discussing the pistol with said gunsmith this evening we have decided the following.
reliability run through
smoothing of edges
night sights
replacement of any "questionable" quality parts
Front strap checkering
Checkered MSH
4lbs trigger
gun kote finishing for slide and receiver - I'm not wild about the blued slide and want to do a black slide over an OD frame.

Fast Forward 4 months......
I went to the range today and gave her a go. The pistol range was closed for a shoot so I made do on the rifle range putting it through a quick hundred rounds worth of paces. It burped and chirped both 230g Remington factory loads and 185g reloads with no snags or hiccups whatsoever. Here is what I understand to have been done to it:
reliability run through
smoothing of edges
night sights
replacement of any "questionable" quality parts
Front strap checkering
Checkered MSH
extended beaver tail safety
gunner grips
4lbs trigger
gun kote finishing for slide and receiver.

I must say that I'm impressed with how it handled and look forward to thousands of more rounds of beating the piss out of it.
I know sometimes folks are to quick to customize something that maybe doesnt need it, or fix something that isn't broke. But, in this case I felt the timing was right. I got the pistol for next to nothing and if it was going under the knife anyway I figured it might as well come out what I would want it to be eventually.
Now for the gun Pron:

This is a little AR project that I've been building up in the meantime. It shot nice today as well:
Old 05-19-2008, 02:32 AM
Hummer Authority

ssgharkness020147 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My 1911 Project, Colt 1991A1 Series 80

Sweet job on the 1911. I've got a Magpul PRS on my AR and have got to say its probably my favorite upgrade.

-007=
Old 05-19-2008, 10:13 PM
Hummer Guru

wpage is on a distinguished road

That is a nice Colt! The AR is nice Para as well.

I'm a little retro with my M1 Garand. Love the 8 round factory clips. Have had that from DCM for many years. Unfortunately they recalled my 1911 Colt after Kennedy was assassinated back in the 60's. Guess Uncle Sam was wondering what might become of their Civilian Army. With all that free ball ammo and weaponry around...

Good luck with the toys
(John 3:16)
2006 H3 Slate Blue,Header,Jacked,CAI,Toyo35's,HHO.
Priors...
Explorer
Commander
71 Vette
You Name it!
Old 05-19-2008, 11:29 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

nice job...not mount that thing on the H3 hood.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:15 PM
Hummer Veteran

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.. If I was to do that I'd have to upgrade to the Ma Deuce, .50 cal
Old 05-26-2008, 02:38 PM
Hummer Authority

mikejr is an unknown quantity at this point

Hows the reliability on the 1911. I've got a Para-Ord 45 that i've had to polish the feed ramps etc to get it to fire reliably. Like you, I've got several glocks that are out of the box reliable so I wasnt used to having to shoot a pistol in to make it reliable. Nice job on the customization. What did it cost you?

2008 H2 Lux Series, Slate Blue, everything but the air suspension - sold

2006 H2 Lux Series, Uplevel Chrome, DVD's, Slate Blue, Sun Roof - sold

"If Life Gives You Limes, Make Margaritas" - Jimmy Buffett
Old 05-27-2008, 03:04 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejr
Hows the reliability on the 1911. I've got a Para-Ord 45 that i've had to polish the feed ramps etc to get it to fire reliably. Like you, I've got several glocks that are out of the box reliable so I wasnt used to having to shoot a pistol in to make it reliable. Nice job on the customization. What did it cost you?
So far after about 200 rounds through it, I would say the reliability is at about 80%. It loves round nose, but I had a few FTF with some flat nose reloads. It's definately a shooter and I'm confident I'll be able to give it a higher rating with a few hundred more rounds. Glocks may always go bang, but I enjoy shooting the 1911 much more. In terms of price, without getting to specific, lets just say the work cost less than the price for the gun should have been. Seeing as I got it for pretty much free, I think I'm still ahead of the game.
1911's can be a little testy at times but I think its kinda the luck of the draw. I've seen some that will fire anything no matter what. Thats bone stock with no mods. I think it just depends. If/when I purchase a new 1911, I'm pretty sure it will be a springfield. I hear lots of good things and the customer service is top notch!
Good luck!
Old 05-27-2008, 08:44 PM
Hummer Authority

TXSUT is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3NCO
lets just say the work cost less than the price for the gun should have been. Seeing as I got it for pretty much free, I think I'm still ahead of the game.

I'm glad to hear you say that, because, no offense, but that's a pretty crappy-looking finish job on that pistol (at least from what I can tell by the pics).

As for your next 1911...I'm happy with my Springfields, but happier with my Kimbers.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:42 AM
Hummer Guru

Big Dad is an unknown quantity at this point

Agreed, I'm a springfield 1911 fan also...I love mine.

The daughter just called and told me she bought her hubby a Springfield XDM for his birthday on Thursday.

I can't wait to go shooting with him. Kimbers are next on my list.

Attached Images

Old 05-28-2008, 06:54 AM
Hummer Messiah

CO Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice pistol!!!

I'm trying to coax a buddy out his customized Kimber.

I've been wanting a nice 1911 for a long time now.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:35 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dad
The daughter just called and told me she bought her hubby a Springfield XDM for his birthday on Thursday.

You obviously raised her right! My XD45 has become my next favorite pistol, after my 1911's, and I have been drooling over the XDM.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:06 PM
Hummer Guru

I've been drooling over the XDm too...I was even more surprised that she was able to get one as quickly as she did.

Thanks, I think I raised all my kids right....

But then I taught my kids to shoot at age 10. Bought everyone of them a .22 rifle for their 10th birthday. Turned them loose on Ptarmigan, Ruffed/Spruse grouse and rabbits. My next caribou hunt is with my 2 youngest daughters in November. I'll post some pictures.

I gotta say, my 3 daughters have been into hunting more so than the boys. Shooting, field dress, quarter, and butcher. They took to it quickly. I had to finesse the boys with lots of coaching.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:12 PM
Hummer Authority

Which caliber? If you raised her REALLY well, she got it in .45.

Good on ya for the way you raised your kids. I only have one child, a 14 y.o. son, and he's been shooting since the age of 5, and hunting since 8. Nothing comes close to being more rewarding than the time we spent/spend in the field.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:58 PM
Hummer Authority

mikejr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
So far after about 200 rounds through it, I would say the reliability is at about 80%. It loves round nose, but I had a few FTF with some flat nose reloads. It's definately a shooter and I'm confident I'll be able to give it a higher rating with a few hundred more rounds. Glocks may always go bang, but I enjoy shooting the 1911 much more. In terms of price, without getting to specific, lets just say the work cost less than the price for the gun should have been. Seeing as I got it for pretty much free, I think I'm still ahead of the game.
1911's can be a little testy at times but I think its kinda the luck of the draw. I've seen some that will fire anything no matter what. Thats bone stock with no mods. I think it just depends. If/when I purchase a new 1911, I'm pretty sure it will be a springfield. I hear lots of good things and the customer service is top notch!
Good luck!

I get FTF after about 3 mags through the pistol. Basically the FMJ round gets hung up in the mag and chamber. I've polished the feed ramps and will so a bit more lapping on it to get the shine higher. I think they are just made with too tight of tolerances and need to be worn in. Buddy of mine has same issue with a kimber.

I wouldnt carry this gun for protection yet since its just not 100% reliable yet. After I run a few hundred more rounds through it, i'll re-evaluate that.

2008 H2 Lux Series, Slate Blue, everything but the air suspension - sold

2006 H2 Lux Series, Uplevel Chrome, DVD's, Slate Blue, Sun Roof - sold

"If Life Gives You Limes, Make Margaritas" - Jimmy Buffett
Old 05-28-2008, 11:45 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSUT
I'm glad to hear you say that, because, no offense, but that's a pretty crappy-looking finish job on that pistol (at least from what I can tell by the pics).

As for your next 1911...I'm happy with my Springfields, but happier with my Kimbers.
No offense taken, but bare in mind that the pictures were taken with my cell phone. I'll give it to you that the weapon was not sent off for a high end custom finish. In my opinion this was a wastefull expense unless you have the extra cash and asthetics are your thing. Personally, if its not going to help the weapon function, whats the use. From what I understand its a teflon based, spray and bake, gun coating paint. I'm not sure what brand he used but it fits the intended purpose. Any finish will scratch with use. It's not the "ooooooooooooo's" and "ahhhhhhhhhhhhh's" from the guy next to me on the line that I'm after. Merely the enjoyment that comes from shooting it. It's also nice knowing that should it need it in a few years I can always touch up the finish myself.

What is it that you like about your Kimber's more than the Springfields? I loved my Custom II TLE/RL, but didn't really shoot it enough or have it long enough to have an opinion other than first impressions.
__________________________________________________ __________

The original intention of the thread was to share my project 1911 and give other folks a place to share their firearm projects. Does anyone else have any toys in progress?
Old 05-28-2008, 11:48 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejr
I get FTF after about 3 mags through the pistol. Basically the FMJ round gets hung up in the mag and chamber. I've polished the feed ramps and will so a bit more lapping on it to get the shine higher. I think they are just made with too tight of tolerances and need to be worn in. Buddy of mine has same issue with a kimber.

I wouldnt carry this gun for protection yet since its just not 100% reliable yet. After I run a few hundred more rounds through it, i'll re-evaluate that.
Keep in mind the magazine and the shape of the round can factor into that alot. I'm trying different combinations to see whats going to work best and be the most reliable for mine. Worse thing that can happen is you have to shoot it more often!
Old 05-29-2008, 02:00 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Personally, if its not going to help the weapon function, whats the use.

The use for me is indeed aesthetics, but not for the guy next to me, it's for myself. Yes, I have "workhorse" guns that I couldn't care less about what they look like as long as they get the job done, but 1911s for me are a different story. It's akin to an obsession...whether any of my 1911s is a daily carry gun, plinker, or hunter, it deserves a fine finish. Just my opinion.

There's a guy here in Houston that does that same coating as yours has, he does top-rate work for very little cost (relatively speaking). He'll be doing a couple of my "workhorse" long guns for me this summer.

Quote:
What is it that you like about your Kimber's more than the Springfields?

I have had less FTF with the Kimbers, and the Kimber trigger action is more to my liking. Granted, I'm, picking nits here, both brands are excellent and you can't go wrong with either in my opinion.

I recently had Briley take a bone-stock Colt 1991-A1 Officer's ACP of mine and work a little magic on it: trigger job, match barrel and bushing, shock buffer, extended ambi safety, beaver tail grip safety, skeleton hammer, mag well, Briley front night sight, Novak rear night sight, refinish. They also did a minimal dehorning job, but I'm thinking I might take it back in for a full meltdown. I'll try to find time to take and post a couple pics of it.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:13 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Which caliber? If you raised her REALLY well, she got it in .45.

Good on ya for the way you raised your kids. I only have one child, a 14 y.o. son, and he's been shooting since the age of 5, and hunting since 8. Nothing comes close to being more rewarding than the time we spent/spend in the field.

She got him the first XDm .45 that the dealer received. He's talking with me on the phone now and just opened it....

He's so spoiled, and fricken grateful!

You're right, it doesn't get any better than hunting with the family!

Old 05-31-2008, 03:34 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Yes, I have "workhorse" guns that I couldn't care less about what they look like as long as they get the job done, but 1911s for me are a different story.

I can appreciate aesthetics. That was not the goal for this piece, but we'll see how bad the 1911 bug has bitten me and if I have a beauty built someday.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:31 AM
Hummer Guru

H3NCO

It just dawned on me that I hadn't said anything bout your model 80 project....

I happen to like how it turned out.

I'm sure it's fun to plunk also.

Oh yeah, the hollow points get hung up in my 1911 now and then.