H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 06-19-2006, 09:13 PM
Hummer Professional

ETD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1 week before K Rock, now what...

Folks, I am getting 2-3 pops and squeaks of metal and plastic when I make a wide turn now forwards or backwards at slow speed. It goes away until I make a direction change. Doesn't happen when I am going straight on. I was wondering if it was my new tires brushing on things but no, I can't see any contact nor can another independent witness. My friends thought that it could be creaking of the UCP. Opinions? Diagnosis? Prognosis?
H3Bas'r: Ready-Lift Levelled Superior Blue (debadged), Sun roof, Tinted, Mud mats, Wakizashi, front Husky flaps, Manik rocker bars, UCS, Tom Tom GPS for Treo, SuperSwampers Radial TSL, Rear Eaton Locker, PCMforless'd... but, alas, not waterproofed
Old 06-19-2006, 09:27 PM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 1 week before K Rock, now what...

You didn't say where the sound was coming from, but I would guess its the tires hitting the fender/liner. The UCP shouldn't make any noise. Have another look in the wheel wells. Maybe walk alongside while someone else drives to getter a better look.

Old 06-19-2006, 09:31 PM
Hummer Professional

Sure Sewie, Thanks. I'll take a look again. If that is the case (why, my tires 285/75R 16 too big?) what's the prognosis? Surgery?
H3Bas'r: Ready-Lift Levelled Superior Blue (debadged), Sun roof, Tinted, Mud mats, Wakizashi, front Husky flaps, Manik rocker bars, UCS, Tom Tom GPS for Treo, SuperSwampers Radial TSL, Rear Eaton Locker, PCMforless'd... but, alas, not waterproofed
Old 06-19-2006, 09:46 PM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

But what is the width of the tire? That may be the problem.

On my old truck I switched from GY Wranglers to BFG MT's. Although the same "size" tire, the MT's rubbed on tight turns.

Old 06-19-2006, 11:11 PM
Hummer Professional

Did I mention that the noise is not present when the vehicle is at regular city speed and turnng.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:50 AM
Hummer Professional

Dangit. It definitely ain't the tires rubbing. It's metal creaking and groaning at the stress of turning i.e. perhaps the rubber lugs are sticking to pavement and weight shift becomes awkward. This would explain why at higher speed and with less turning there is no problem. Is that bad? or to be expected. Should I take it to the stealership? Maybe I should take it to 40 psi to get less rubber on the road?
Old 06-21-2006, 01:16 AM
Hummer Authority

Wisha Haddan H3 is an unknown quantity at this point

That kind of sound happened on my old rig when the CV joint was about to go. Or it could be excessive wear on the ball joints if you cranked the torsion bars or do a lot of hard core wheeling.

You said it happens when you're turning ... does it happen when you're going straight over a speed bump? If so, try angling your rig so one wheel goes over the bump first. That'll tell you which side has the problem.

How many miles do you have on your H3? Did you crank the torsion bars ... how long ago?
Old 06-21-2006, 02:32 AM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisha Haddan H3

You said it happens when you're turning ... does it happen when you're going straight over a speed bump? No
If so, try angling your rig so one wheel goes over the bump first. That'll tell you which side has the problem.

How many miles do you have on your H3? 6000

Did you crank the torsion bars ... how long ago?No

I guess I'll take it to the stealership tomorrow. I will cry if I have to cancel the K'Rock trip
Old 06-21-2006, 02:44 AM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
That kind of sound happened on my old rig when the CV joint was about to go. Or it could be excessive wear on the ball joints if you cranked the torsion bars or do a lot of hard core wheeling.

You said it happens when you're turning ... does it happen when you're going straight over a speed bump? If so, try angling your rig so one wheel goes over the bump first. That'll tell you which side has the problem.

How many miles do you have on your H3? Did you crank the torsion bars ... how long ago?
STFU with that crap.

Why don't you just say something is noisy?

Please, in another thread, explain how the amount of turns the torsion bar has would have anything to do with wear on the ball joints.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETD
I guess I'll take it to the stealership tomorrow. I will cry if I have to cancel the K'Rock trip
Groans/creaks are usually indicative of some loose bolt or body flex. Bring it this weekend and we'll figure out where the noise is coming from.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:15 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAGON
Groans/creaks are usually indicative of some loose bolt or body flex. Bring it this weekend and we'll figure out where the noise is coming from.

Thanks. That's what I'm thinking. I also figured between you, PhilD, and Fox, one of you would find the problem. However, I did not want to NOT get there and did not want to impose on you all for anything less than a tow out of trouble or changing a tie rod ( ) so it's at the local stealership at the moment. At least the new "Hummer Advisor" is young and polite. That is worth a lot in my book (the "polite" part). We'll see...
Old 06-21-2006, 09:21 PM
Hummer Professional

7 hours in the shop and less than 48 hours until planned departure for KRock and they still don't know what's making the noise....
Old 06-22-2006, 12:31 AM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
STFU with that crap. Why don't you just say something is noisy?

Please, in another thread, explain how the amount of turns the torsion bar has would have anything to do with wear on the ball joints.

Dude, relax. It's just a forum.

Cranking the torsion bars creates extra tension on the A-arms, pushing them (and therefore the wheels) down and changing the angle on the CV joints. The CV and ball joints have to withstand the extra force at an out-of-spec angle. This creates extra stress on the joints, especially when steering and flexing off-road. This can cause them to fail early, with creaking and popping noises while steering or going over bumps.

Other issues could cause these sounds, but this is one thing to rule out.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Dude, relax. It's just a forum.
and giving out bad advice as an AE is cheeseball in it's truest form.

The ball joints don't care how much the torsion bars are or are not cranked. It's akin to saying you'll break your wrist just because you strengthened your pectoralis major.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Other issues could cause these sounds
such as mental?
Old 06-22-2006, 12:47 AM
Hummer Veteran

cestwick is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETD
Folks, I am getting 2-3 pops and squeaks of metal and plastic when I make a wide turn now forwards or backwards at slow speed. It goes away until I make a direction change. Doesn't happen when I am going straight on. I was wondering if it was my new tires brushing on things but no, I can't see any contact nor can another independent witness. My friends thought that it could be creaking of the UCP. Opinions? Diagnosis? Prognosis?

How long have you had the new tires? when did the noise start? Factory wheels?? I have seen alloy wheels that were not tightened enough creak.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:56 AM
Hummer Professional

It's ok folks. Thanks for contributing to the thread. It's all good now. My truck is fixed using the shotgun technique. The source of the noise could not have been isolated more than the front suspension so "everything" was taken down, relubed and bolted back. The noise is gone. I'll be off to KRock. Thanks.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:21 AM
Hummer Authority

Awesome, have a great time!
Old 06-22-2006, 01:56 AM
Hummer Authority

Thumbs up Re: 1 week before K Rock, now what...

Quote:
and giving out bad advice as an AE is cheeseball in it's truest form.

The ball joints don't care how much the torsion bars are or are not cranked. It's akin to saying you'll break your wrist just because you strengthened your pectoralis major.

Not really. It's more like how it's easier to lift weights with your elbow at 45 degrees than fully extended. The leverage requires more force from your muscle and puts more strain on the joint.

Doesn't matter anyway. It was just an idea, and ETD got it all worked out.