H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 11-24-2006, 11:31 PM
Hummer Veteran

Jeff G is off the scale
Default Front Mount

I was looking at the winch mounts Cris has over in classifieds and I'm also looking at mounting a front receiver hitch where I could slide the winch in and out of the front and the rear like the H2. Anybody have any advice either way. I'm not spending $800 for the DOI which I like alot, but not for that price. Thanks for any help.

Jeff
2006 H3 Lux/Offroad - Slate Blue - Ebony Leather - Sunroof - Brush Guard - Husky Rear Mat - Petz Cover (so my Wheaton Terrier can ride with me) - GOBI Stealth Rack - PIAA Lights - DC/AC Coverter - Truxxx Leveling Kit - DC1 Wheels - 35"X12.50" Toyo Open Country AT - Step Bars - Onboard Air - Chrome Fire Extinguisher

2003 Mercedes Benz S500 AMG

2003 BMW Z3 - Wife's
Old 11-25-2006, 03:01 AM
Hummer Veteran

Jeff G is off the scale
Default Re: Front Mount

32 views and nobody has an opinion???? i just want to know if the portable one's really work well. Thanks for any help.
2006 H3 Lux/Offroad - Slate Blue - Ebony Leather - Sunroof - Brush Guard - Husky Rear Mat - Petz Cover (so my Wheaton Terrier can ride with me) - GOBI Stealth Rack - PIAA Lights - DC/AC Coverter - Truxxx Leveling Kit - DC1 Wheels - 35"X12.50" Toyo Open Country AT - Step Bars - Onboard Air - Chrome Fire Extinguisher

2003 BMW Z3 - Wife's
Old 11-25-2006, 06:34 AM
Hummer Professional

lennyrebel is an unknown quantity at this point

My Advice- you get what you pay for so spend the 800 bucks and get something you want that will work. "The Rebel"
Old 11-25-2006, 03:08 PM
Hummer Veteran

GPan099 is on a distinguished road

Not much experience with winches, but have been looking into the options for the H3. I think the issue with using a front mount tow hitch is that it would mount below the bumper, and adding the winch would affect the approach angle.

The only front tow receiver I have found online for the H3 requires the front skid plate to be removed for install, (and I'm assuming permanently) and would lessen the protection up front.

Hopefully others on the forum with more technical knowledge will respond!
Old 11-25-2006, 04:24 PM
Hummer Expert

Mike E is off the scale

I plan on picking up a mount from Chris. I like his design and the fact that it mounts high and to both tow hooks providing two pulling points right from the frame.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:34 PM
Hummer Veteran

Jeff G is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPan099
Not much experience with winches, but have been looking into the options for the H3. I think the issue with using a front mount tow hitch is that it would mount below the bumper, and adding the winch would affect the approach angle.

The only front tow receiver I have found online for the H3 requires the front skid plate to be removed for install, (and I'm assuming permanently) and would lessen the protection up front.

Hopefully others on the forum with more technical knowledge will respond!

Actually it mounts between the frame rails and comes in behind the skid plate. You would have to have a square hole cut in the skid plate to keep from removing it. I'm just not sure I want to cruise around all of the time with my winch hanging on the front. Anybody ever have one ripped off? I did off of my CJ5 in 1980,

2003 BMW Z3 - Wife's
Old 11-27-2006, 04:26 PM
Hummer Expert

H3 Hummer is off the scale

Hi,

I have a front winch mount on my H3. I had it custom fabricated and it can easily support a heavy duty winch. The problem like someone said is tat it has to be installed low beause of the radiator. Mine is low and does affect the approach angle but I usually am fine for 95% of my off roading.
I don't recommend it because it really is to low but is fairly affordable. I have a portable winch carrier and I only put the winch on when I go to the trails. This means that it is safe from theft and doesn't put extra strain on the suspension and so forth.
If I could do it all over (and if Cris had his product before my fabrication) I would go with what Cris has.
That design keeps it up high and easily accessible for the off road in case the winch wire wraps up or something.

Old 11-27-2006, 11:46 PM
Hummer Expert

blindzebra is an unknown quantity at this point

First of all, at high speeds where the air flow really matters, I don't think Chriss' winch mount will effect the air flow to the radiator enough to make 5 degrees difference. At uber slow speeds, ie four low, front air flow won't be effected negatively at all. I am getting the new warn 12k w/ air pretty soon, and I plan to get Chriss' mount. I think it's an absolutely solid design. With that low mount, I think there are alot of situations that you may get stuck and not able to put the winch on when you are. Along with that, If you put it on before you go out your aproach angle will be drastically decreased.

Just my two cents.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:06 AM
Hummer Veteran

Jeff G is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
First of all, at high speeds where the air flow really matters, I don't think Chriss' winch mount will effect the air flow to the radiator enough to make 5 degrees difference. At uber slow speeds, ie four low, front air flow won't be effected negatively at all. I am getting the new warn 12k w/ air pretty soon, and I plan to get Chriss' mount. I think it's an absolutely solid design. With that low mount, I think there are alot of situations that you may get stuck and not able to put the winch on when you are. Along with that, If you put it on before you go out your aproach angle will be drastically decreased.

Just my two cents.

That's the logic I was looking for. I was thinking that the approach angle would be reduced with the portable setup. Any idea of how to keep one from getting ripped off? Is there such a thing as security nuts and bolts? Seems like I've seen those somewhere before and wondered if they really worked. Thanks for your two cents.

2003 BMW Z3 - Wife's
Old 11-28-2006, 01:11 AM
Hummer Professional

Hunner is on a distinguished road

This is the Steelcraft brush guard and winch mount. I have not touched it on anything yet but this creek was close. If you are muddin and bury your front end or get a cable jammed in one of those hidden bling mounts you gonna be laying in the mud and starting a whole new language! You could put a chain or cable lock thru the winch but everybody here has a winch and carries bolt cutters!! They do make anti-theft bolts that use special sockets. I had mine on this summer when outside temps were over 100 and I had no overheating problems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg %2136.JPG (21.0 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg C%1764.JPG (13.6 KB, 263 views)
Traded 06 I-5 for 08H3 ALPHA/Adv,WarnPowerPlant9500,Warn 9000ti rear,Steelcraft brush/winch mt,RockyRoadrails/Hunner mod,GMUCP,Hunner rear/shock skids,OEM roof lights,Rola rack,2GoLights,Hunner steering gear mount,Purple Cranium diff guard,BulletProof tie rods,ARBsnorkle, SyKlone prefilter,Hunner intake pipe.

Last edited by Hunner : 11-28-2006 at 01:29 AM.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:16 AM
Hummer Expert

Desert Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Jeff

You might be able to mount the winch with large allen or torx bolts that would foil an un-prepared thief.

You could also tack weld a small piece of metal accross one or two bolt heads to slow them down.

Heck anything is possible
A buddy of mine had his catalytic converter stolen from his truck at a park and ride. What a surprise when he started the truck with a straight pipe. He is going tack weld the bolst on the replacment Cat.

H3 2006 Adventure/Lux/5-speed/sunroof/rock rails/underbody skids/block heater/Boulder Grey/ Defender Roof Rack

Jeep TJ Rubicon 2003
1988 Jeep Cherokee

Gone - But- Not Forgotten 4x4's
1994 Jeep YJ
Toyota 4x4 Truck(s)
1970 Jeep CJ-5
1962 Willys Wagon
Old 11-28-2006, 05:17 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

I got the mount from Cris and have been very happy with it. I like how it mounts the winch up high and does not effect the approach angle. I have also had no issue with air flow what so ever.
Attached Images

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights