H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 07-20-2005, 10:00 PM

Kate is off the scale

Hi all,
I am new here...but had to email to see if anyone has some advice on this maddening topic.
We have a 2002 H2 with 37K miles. Tonight is the 5th time we've had to jump the vehicle as the key will not come out of the ignition. My husband is about to go thru the roof; the check engine light comes on and we have virtually no power to the engine this is almost always followed by the key refusing to come out. Sometimes it comes out just fine, but lately, it seems as if every 3rd trip, the key gets stuck and then totally drains the battery. We're getting sick of looking for a place to park that has enough room nearby to jump the thing if need be. Any counsel or advice? Local dealership says that the entire steering column needs to be replaced....this is absolutely ridiculous to have such an expensive "durable" machine that keeps failing us! Please help!!!
Old 07-20-2005, 10:00 PM

Kate is off the scale

Hi all,
I am new here...but had to email to see if anyone has some advice on this maddening topic.
We have a 2002 H2 with 37K miles. Tonight is the 5th time we've had to jump the vehicle as the key will not come out of the ignition. My husband is about to go thru the roof; the check engine light comes on and we have virtually no power to the engine this is almost always followed by the key refusing to come out. Sometimes it comes out just fine, but lately, it seems as if every 3rd trip, the key gets stuck and then totally drains the battery. We're getting sick of looking for a place to park that has enough room nearby to jump the thing if need be. Any counsel or advice? Local dealership says that the entire steering column needs to be replaced....this is absolutely ridiculous to have such an expensive "durable" machine that keeps failing us! Please help!!!
Old 07-20-2005, 10:11 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

First it's not a 2002 model.

Second, I think you might have the sequences backwards. Actually, I would bet that your battery is dead and needs replacing. When your battery completely dies and you stick the key in the ignition you CANNOT get it back out until you get 12V power back, which you do when you jump it off. I am surprised that you have not received the "reduced power" message in the message center on the dash.

Take the truck to the dealer or to the nearest auto parts store and have them test your battery. Most places will bring out the tester to your truck. Be prepared to buy a new one though, the stock batteries are crap.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:12 PM
Banned

Oops. Sorry, just re-read. You ARE getting the reduced power. I would just about bet you the cost of a new battery that it's your battery.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:28 PM

Kate is off the scale

Thank you so much for your reply! I just went to the GM site to look around and found an emissions receipt and it is a 2003. (Sorry..I am truly taking my life in my own hands in "chatting" in a car site!
Anyway, dealer told us they have heard of this problem and it requires the ENTIRE steering column be replaced. I SWEAR we drive around, stop, put it in park, wait until the leveling thing sound stops and turn it off...and the fricking key will NOT come out. Would MUCH rather replace the battery than this steering column....they could also be telling us that this MAJOR service be required as they are in business to make $$ Will print out your response and show my husband...thank you again. Now, since it's dead in the parking garage, we just have to get it over to the battery place! Thanks again!
Old 07-20-2005, 10:40 PM
Banned

I am thinking your battery will not hold the charge. Mine did the same thing, but did it about 2 years ago.

When you say you put it in Park and the key will not come out, can you crank it again or are any of the lights on the dash on?
Old 07-21-2005, 12:43 AM
Hummer Professional

Harley is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Al Serra Hummer in Colorado Springs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We definitely can recommend Al Serra in Co Spgs... and we are from OK!! They are good people!!

K
Old 07-21-2005, 01:16 AM

Kate is off the scale

Ok...I am just about on my last nerve. We went over and got a new battery tonight....replaced the old one in our street, and the stupid key will NOT come out. So, it's not the battery. It must be something else. Once the new battery was installed, my husband turns the engine over and literally floors it....nothing. It just creeped up our street. Thanks for the battery advice, but it didn't work. We have a guy we love who has worked on all our cars..H2 is going in Monday morning...there went $100 for nothing. Thanks all for trying to help..unfortunately, it's going to have to head to the car Doc. Absolutely sickens me. Will let you know what I find out.
kate
Old 07-21-2005, 03:02 AM
Banned

I'll drop off the $100 in October when we come through.

Damn. Damn. Damn. I'm really sorry. I hate to admit it but the next thing in line is the switch. If the battery is providing full voltage and is OK then your ignition switch is either grounding or is not making a good enough connection. I think there might be some information on this. I'll look for it and post here.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:17 AM
Banned

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>Service VME - Cannot Remove Ignition Key - kw console cylinder lock shift control open solenoid wire #PI01782 - (Feb 24, 2004)
Service VME - Cannot Remove Ignition Key

When servicing the vehicle with the VIN you entered, the following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the described symptoms.

SERVICE VME
If you encounter a situation where the ignition key cannot be removed from the lock cylinder, the most probable cause is a broken wire or harness disconnect at the automatic transmission shift lock control solenoid located under the shift plate on the console. Simply correct the open circuit condition and provide enough slack in the harness to allow for full travel of the shift lever without placing any tension on the harness.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance. This diagnostic approach was developed for the vehicle with the VIN you entered and should not be automatically be used for other vehicles with similar symptoms.

Models:
(03, 04 HUMMER H2)
[/list]This is a possibility. There was some sort of "recall" on this problem now that I remember from looking back. Several people have had to have their ignitions replaced and this was a know problem and Hummer should cover it even if you are out of warranty, in my opinion.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:56 AM
Hummer Professional

Ed G. is off the scale

I've had it happen to me twice, both times they had to replace the ignition switch. It's a quick fix so it shouldn't keep your ride in the shop for more than an hour.

Ed
Old 07-21-2005, 11:00 AM
Hummer Professional

Hummertech is off the scale

Ed just beat me to it. You have a faulty ignition switch. That will cause all of your symptoms from the key sticking it, to the check engine light, to the reduce power (since your trans is starting off in 2nd gear do to the lack of voltage available to shift it).
Your dealer sucks, this is common and a quick fix that will take them 10 min.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:53 AM
Hummer Expert

Hum2 is off the scale

I had to have my ignition switch replaced...but the only thing it did was reset the radio clock/stations and turn the radio on/off well after removing the key. Never had a key sticker!

Also had the battery fail, but the key never stuck then either.

Ric
Old 07-21-2005, 11:58 AM
Hummer Guru

Adam in CO is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">(except Adam ) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm a dick, ask anyone.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:52 PM
Hummer Expert

Hum2 is off the scale

Dick in CO:

And I thought all this time you were Adam!

Ric

Old 07-21-2005, 02:18 PM

Kate is off the scale

Hi all! Thanks to everyone for taking the time to read and advise....I truly appreciate your help! Car is dead in the driveway this a.m. Will take all the info to our dude on Monday for the repair..Thanks again for the GM diagnosis too. I'm sure Medved won't honor the "recall" but maybe if we mention that we know about the problem? I hate working with dealerships to begin with...they see a woman coming and it's an automatic $1500 upcharge to the normal bill! You all are just super and I appreciate your help and concern. Have a great day and I'll let you know what happens.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:20 PM
Hummer Authority

partsguy is an unknown quantity at this point

$32.95 for the part any GM dealer can fix it,and most stock it.
Part number 12450251.
Good luck!