H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 11-18-2011, 03:04 AM
Hummer Veteran

dna is off the scale
Default Seriously thinking of selling my 03 H2 for a Delica - thoughts / flames

Had my 03 H2 for almost 8 years, and although I still love the looks and ride I'm seriously thinking of selling it for a Jap 4x4 (the Delica). WHY?

Cause I'm sick of spending on average $700 a month on gas - and I'm really not even driving that far. But with 2 kids in hockey, there are 4 games every weekend, and every 2nd one is on average 1 hour away. That, combined with local driving and the odd 4 hour drive, I'm spending $700 a month.

I do offroad the H2 occassionaly, but not enough to justify a $700/mth gas bill. So I'm really spending that money for nothing but the status of riding a nice looking and unique vehicle.

That's why I'm thinking of the Delica. Yes it is ugly, but so ugly that it is almost nice, and it sure is unqiue (I hate common vehicles). Plus the Delica has a diesel which gets incredible mileage, but can also run on waste vegetable oil (so it is free if I go that way). And it can seat 7 plus tons of cargo space still - and it can offroad too.

So what's your thoughts. Anyone on here gotten fed up enough that they got ride of their H2 for a fuel economy vehicle? Did you regret it afterwards?

Oh, another vehicle I'm considering is the xB. It too is so ugly that it is almost nice (even kind of looks like a mini Hummer, being box like and all). Oh, did I say that here - oops, now I'm sure to get flamed.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:27 AM
Hummer Veteran

Indy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Seriously thinking of selling my 03 H2 for a Delica - thoughts / flames

How about a Jeep JK Rubicon Unlimited....fairly good on gas and great offroad and enough space for a family. There are a few Delicas driving around here and boy, they look like a 4x4 minivan....but everybody has their own taste. If you like them, go for it.

Corvette C5 / Millennium Yellow / 6M - 5.7 V8 - sold
Corvette C5 / Nassau Blue / 6M - 5.7 V8 - sold
J E E P ZJ / 7" lift / 35" Cooper STT - sold
J E E P TJ / 7" lift /chillipepper red / 37" MTR - sold
Mustang GT / black / 5M - 4.6 V8 - sold
Old 11-18-2011, 01:38 PM
Hummer Expert

2010_5thgen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Seriously thinking of selling my 03 H2 for a Delica - thoughts / flames

keep it and buy a prius
Old 11-18-2011, 02:17 PM
Hummer Expert

HummerMann is on a distinguished road

Vehicle ownership is a personal thing. If you don't get a thrill out of driving it anymore or it's unreliable I say go for it and look around. My view is life is too short to drive a boring car. I put tons of miles on my H2 every year (over 100,000 since I bought it new) and still enjoy it around town and on the highway. I live in a very hilly part of upstate NY and without my H2 I'd be homebound a lot in the winter. I've owned lots of 4X4s and nothing has done as well in the deep snow as my H2 - for that reason alone, it's worth the money I spend on gas and insurance. I also like the commanding view on the higway of sitting up high and the ability to pile tons of stuff in the back.

Hummer, like nothing else
Old 11-18-2011, 02:35 PM
Hummer Veteran

StockStar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna
WHY?

Cause I'm sick of spending on average $700 a month on gas - and I'm really not even driving that far.

Wow, almost $10k a year in gas. Alot of us here have alternate vehicles. I drove mine a total of 1400 miles last year. I mostly drive one of the other cars. I recommend you keep the H2 and pick up another ride that isn't as gas hungry as the H2, but if you decide to get rid of it thats cool. No one should flame you for putting priorities(sp) first.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:32 PM
Hummer Authority

guruerror is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you've got a hard decision ahead of you. If you've got the room, I would prolly second the idea for an alternate car...something with better MPGs.

BUT even if you have the room, that still may not work for you. I tried that route back when gas was $5+ per gallon, but found that I still drove the H2 because it was what I 'wanted' to drive. The other car simply sat in my garage.

In order to avoid the $700 gas bill you may have to sever all ties and just let it go...like I said, 'a hard decision.'
Old 11-18-2011, 04:55 PM
Hummer Professional

PaHumBug is on a distinguished road

I plan on getting an alternate vehicle at some point, just to stop racking up the miles on the H2. I plan on using it to commute to work, and any long trips. Otherwise I'll drive the H2. Anybody know anything about these? I saw it on eBay but couldn't find information on the web about them. It's called a ST600C Snyder. I guess you register it as a motorcycle...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...6 39544706050
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2011, 06:16 PM
Hummer Professional

PaHumBug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaHumBug
I plan on getting an alternate vehicle at some point, just to stop racking up the miles on the H2. I plan on using it to commute to work, and any long trips. Otherwise I'll drive the H2. Anybody know anything about these? I saw it on eBay but couldn't find information on the web about them. It's called a ST600C Snyder. I guess you register it as a motorcycle...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...6 39544706050
Found a website: http://www.wildfiremotors.com/index....mart&Itemid=75
Old 11-18-2011, 06:52 PM
Hummer Veteran

VegasGuy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna
Had my 03 H2 for almost 8 years, and although I still love the looks and ride I'm seriously thinking of selling it for a Jap 4x4 (the Delica).

I'll bet your kids aren't thrilled with the idea.

I have to agree with you. $700/month is a pretty big bite. I would be looking at a second car, but in no way am I second guessing your decision. Hope it works out for you.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:22 AM
Hummer Veteran

pwrhse2k is on a distinguished road

Keep the H2, buy an MKIV VW Jetta TDI sedan or wagon that gets 35+ city and up to 50+ mpgs hwy to use as your daily driver. You can find one relatively cheap and to make the TDI a bit more fun to drive, put a larger VNT 17/22 turbo in it and a tune and you'll be good to go! It'll be fast and still get 35+ mpgs. I have a 02 Jetta as my daily driver and quite a few GAS HOG TOYS that I don't mind driving around when I feel like because of the savings I get from driving the Jetta daily. Something to consider...Keep the H2!
Old 11-19-2011, 02:40 AM
Hummer Expert

twr is on a distinguished road

Hi keep the H2 and buy a 2nd truck or car. I just bought a dodge ram 2500 diesel 4x4 for pulling and better mileage and a winter truck to save the H2 from the Ontario salt, but i am keeping my H2. The dodge is 23.5 mpg.

2008 H2 SUV
Starr Hid projector headlights
Hid lights in the DRL bumper holes
Custom Alum. light bar, 2 Rigid Industries 10 inch Leds
MC2 Roof Light Bar
24 inch Starr 770 Hammer Rims
Gen 6 Lockpick
Gm bluetooth
Front + Rear Camera's

73 Duster 588 ci. B1 injected akly with NOS
Supercharged 2002 Harley, E Glide Classic
2005 Screamin Eagle, E Glide

http://twrbaggersplus.com/
Old 11-19-2011, 01:55 PM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you should sell it. Recently I bought my supercharged, convertible C5 back from a guy I sold it to like 3-4 years ago. It literally had less than 6K miles on it, the new owner never drove it.

Point is, I got it back and realized the love was gone. I wasn?t thrilled with it any longer. It looked great, it was fast as hell, turned heads but did nothing for me.

I think when that love affair is gone, it?s time to go.

God, I hope my love my doesn?t get boring, my wife ain?t gonna like the new model.

Mark
Old 11-19-2011, 05:13 PM
Hummer Veteran

VegasGuy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush
God, I hope my love my doesn?t get boring, my wife ain?t gonna like the new model.

Mark

Maybe you should think of something just for the weekend?
Old 11-19-2011, 09:46 PM
Hummer Expert

why not spend a few bucks and mod the hummer and get it tuned to help get some better mpg? ive thought about doing this to mine. i put a new intake on. im gonna do new headers and port the heads and then have everything tuned. should pick up a few more mpg's.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:05 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
why not spend a few bucks and mod the hummer and get it tuned to help get some better mpg? ive thought about doing this to mine. i put a new intake on. im gonna do new headers and port the heads and then have everything tuned. should pick up a few more mpg's.
LOL...good luck. Post your results. The only two ways I've seen is: diesel conversion or putting a block under the gas pedal to keep it from going down so far.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:32 AM
Hummer Expert

ive got some pretty smart friends and im pretty well informed on these ls motors. theres alot that can be done to improve fuel economy and power at the same time. tunning is a huge part of it. even installing a turbo kit will help fuel economy when tuned right.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:36 AM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
ive got some pretty smart friends and im pretty well informed on these ls motors. theres alot that can be done to improve fuel economy and power at the same time. tunning is a huge part of it. even installing a turbo kit will help fuel economy when tuned right.
Awesome! Keep us posted.

6,614 lbs and shaped like a brick...they got a tuner for that?

Last edited by guruerror : 11-20-2011 at 04:38 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Hummer Veteran

pwrhse2k is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruerror
Awesome! Keep us posted.

6,614 lbs and shaped like a brick...they got a tuner for that?

Keep in mind the full-time AWD is going to limit you on mpgs no matter the engine mods, gears or superchargers etc. Just ask OrgangCrush who did all the power performance stuff and ended up putting a DMAX in his H2.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:36 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrhse2k
Keep in mind the full-time AWD is going to limit you on mpgs no matter the engine mods, gears or superchargers etc. Just ask OrgangCrush who did all the power performance stuff and ended up putting a DMAX in his H2.

Installing bigger tires is a guaranteed 2-4 mpg loss. Changing gears will bring some of that loss back.

At best, if you go for all out fuel economy, you may gain 1-2 mpg. Big freakin? deal.... That means you can drive an extra 30-50 miles on a tank full.

Guruerror hit it spot on... you?ll driving an all wheel drive vehicle in the shape of a brick that weighs almost 7K lbs. There is no tuning, no secret tools, no magical space dust to get better gas mileage. (at least any worth a darn)

It?s simple, you buy an H2 for the vehicle it is, crappy gas mileage is part of that equation. If you can?t afford it or don?t like it, buy a prius.

Mark
Old 11-20-2011, 02:51 PM
Hummer Guru

How come when I pull up Delica, I only get this?

Last edited by OrangeCrush : 11-20-2011 at 02:54 PM.