H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 12-24-2003, 02:21 AM
Hummer Expert

Zing is off the scale

Has anyone had the experience where you had to slam on the breaks to avoid hitting something? The few times I came close the ABS seemed to kick in and I came dangerously close to hitting something. Seems more so than other cars/trucks I've driven and to me like the ABS is a bit too sensitive. What is your experience?
Old 12-24-2003, 02:21 AM
Hummer Expert

Zing is off the scale

Has anyone had the experience where you had to slam on the breaks to avoid hitting something? The few times I came close the ABS seemed to kick in and I came dangerously close to hitting something. Seems more so than other cars/trucks I've driven and to me like the ABS is a bit too sensitive. What is your experience?
Old 12-24-2003, 12:43 PM
Circuitguy

My H2 has the best brakes of any car I ever had not including the 745, thats in a different catagory all toghther. BIG-C

White 03-H2-LUX

<a target="_blank" href="http://www.gstyle4u.com">
</a>
Old 12-24-2003, 01:37 PM
Hummer Guru

Spike is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the weight of the vhicle has a lot to do with it. A heavier vehicle at speed would be harder to stop and if the brakes were applied hard enough it might be inclined to skid which then would engage the anti lock braking system.

2003 Yellow H2, Lux Series, Air Suspension, Front Brush Guard, Rear Tail Lamp Guards, Helo Maxx 8 Chrome Rims, MC2 Chrome Billet Locking Fuel Door, MC2 Chrome Hood Handles, MC2 Chrome Hood Latches, Chrome Billet Hummer Logo Hitch Step
Old 12-24-2003, 02:42 PM

3D Guy is off the scale

I've had the same experience ...... Hit the breaks hard, front nose dips, you start to hear that deep roar of the tires starting to skid. and then the break peddle drops a little bit as the ABS kicks in. It gives you a little panic as you think for a moment you've lost your breaks. I think that there is bit of a delay before the ABS kicks in. ?

.................................................. ........
That’s just my opinion, I could be wrong......... NOT!!

3D Guy A.K.A. Brian Mundy

03, H2 Yellow, Lux, Sunroof, Air Suspension, 3rd Row. Brush Gaurd and 30gb iPod

3D Guy A.K.A. Brian Mundy

03, H2 Yellow, Lux, Sunroof, Air Suspension, 3rd Row. Brush Gaurd and 30gb iPod
Old 12-24-2003, 05:12 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Z, keep a safe and longer than usual distance from the auto in front of you. It only took me 1 panic stop to learn that. You cannot drive the Hummer like other cars, it is so big and heavy, we have a responsibility to the public to add a few extra feet of room, also not to scare or intimidate the driver in front of you. In panic stops, I was just as scared as the drivers in front of me. You are in New York city, you have to be extra careful with your deadly weapon.
Old 12-24-2003, 06:28 PM

Centerfire is off the scale

Doesn't stop like my S2000 , but for a heavy beastie, I have no complaints.

Mike
Old 12-24-2003, 06:42 PM
Hummer Guru

Spike is an unknown quantity at this point

I learned the same lesson on the day of my test drive. I was stopping for cars at a red light and I was running out of room fast. After the close call my salesman said to me "yeah you gotta get used to that".

These vehicles weigh at least twice as much as other cars and light trucks and in some cases three times as much. You definately have to get used to leaving a greater distance between you and the cars in front of you.

2003 Yellow H2, Lux Series, Air Suspension, Front Brush Guard, Rear Tail Lamp Guards, Helo Maxx 8 Chrome Rims, MC2 Chrome Billet Locking Fuel Door, MC2 Chrome Hood Handles, MC2 Chrome Hood Latches, Chrome Billet Hummer Logo Hitch Step
Old 12-24-2003, 07:12 PM

Cincinnati h2 is off the scale

I have owned fullsize 4x4 chevrolet,ford and dodge trucks and don't see much difference between them and my h2 brakes. You just don't drive like you would a sports cars.
Old 12-24-2003, 09:12 PM
Hummer Guru

RIC-H0 is an unknown quantity at this point

I actually like the brakes better on my H2 than on my F250 Crew Cab.
Unfortunately, I have had to lock up both, and the H2 stopped much better.
There's nothing like the sound of big meats grinding into the pavement!!!$$$$

Ric-H2
Old 12-25-2003, 07:44 AM
Hummer Veteran

cognitive is off the scale

I wonder if the ABS is set differently from H2 to H2 b/c I have the same experience. The only time I've heard the tires lock on pavement is going around a turn too fast. That happened a few times when I first got it b/c the H2 gives little warning before it starts sliding around a turn. I'm not talking about medium speed turns too... not racing or anything.

Also, on declines, the ABS has prevented the tires from skidding - especially on slightly wet roads or leaf covered roads. This happened to me recently and from experience, I had to manually pump the brake to stop in time... I was way more than a reasonable distance away but the decline was just enough and the road was just wet enough that the ABS was constantly on. Scary.

Awhile ago when the leaves were falling, I learned my lesson. I was on a decent decline. I had forgotten something and had to make a left turn to go back to my origin. Well, I applied medium to hard brakes and the ABS took it all away from me. No slipping AT ALL occurred but I went way past the turn. It was the most bizarre feeling I've had in the H2. It was one of those instances where you finally come to a stop and look around and mutter !%$#@% me... Thank goodness no cars, people, or animals were in front of me.

Now that I know how it feels and when it happens, it's perfectly fine. On dry pavement, I think the brakes/tire traction are really good. Maybe too good since it feels like the stopping distance is much shorter than the cars behind you... but this is probably just the feeling of a heavy truck vs. light car coming to a quick stop.
Old 12-26-2003, 12:36 AM
Hummer Expert

Zing is off the scale

I wonder if Cognitive is right that there is some difference from H2 to H2. When I slammed on the brakes it H2 wouldn't allow itself to screech. Slight screech then immediate ABS that in my opinion is applied to liberally. I believe if I didn't hit the brakes so hard they may have stopped me sooner.

On the size of the H2, keep in mind while it is heavy it also has more tire applied to the surface than lighter vehicles (bigger tires) which keeps the stopping ability somewhat in proportion.

I do realize I am no longer driving a jeep and need to keep a distance from other people an keep a close eye out for idiots.
Old 12-26-2003, 01:04 AM

buddy is off the scale

I didn't notice much of a difference between the H2 and my full size Chevy pu, until I replaced the stock tires with 37 MT/R's. The additional 22 lbs of static weight can be felt, but you get used to it and allow more distance. A few days ago, I had a small import pull out without looking. The H2 barely stopped in time.

I swap the 37's back and forth with the stock 35's. The 35's make the H2 feel much lighter, more responsive, and a lot easier to stop. But, I still prefer the 37's.
Old 12-26-2003, 03:56 PM

barbender is off the scale

I have no problem stopping now.
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2003, 05:32 PM

Frank Hewitt is off the scale

zazing,
I can only wonder if you are comparing like weights? The H2 is one big beast! Certainly it won't stop you similarly compared to a lesser-sized vehicle. Considering it's weight, I have no complaints. Mine has done well.

gasman