H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 11-20-2003, 12:50 AM
Hummer Guru

RIC-H0 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was speaking with one of the more knowledgable 4x4 shops here in town, and he mentioned that he could order some "Pork Chops" that would Re-Key the torsion settings for my H2, that work on the 2500SD. After he spoke with his supplier, they confirmed that they would indeed work on the H2 and give you about 2-2.5 inch lift up front!
Maybe this is just what we are looking for, a small lift with a very small price!
Does anyone out there have any ideas on this subject?
Good, Bad or Other!
Old 11-20-2003, 12:50 AM
Hummer Guru

I was speaking with one of the more knowledgable 4x4 shops here in town, and he mentioned that he could order some "Pork Chops" that would Re-Key the torsion settings for my H2, that work on the 2500SD. After he spoke with his supplier, they confirmed that they would indeed work on the H2 and give you about 2-2.5 inch lift up front!
Maybe this is just what we are looking for, a small lift with a very small price!
Does anyone out there have any ideas on this subject?
Good, Bad or Other!
Old 11-20-2003, 01:15 AM

buddy is off the scale

Ric,

GM does have some other "Keys" , sometimes referred to as the "GM green keys", that allows the torsion bars to be cranked up higher before bottoming out the bolts. Ford keys will do the same thing. Results: Very harsh ride, lost travel, increased torsion bar fatigue, and wheel aligment usually required.

There are some past threads on cranking the TB's that may also be of interest.
Old 11-20-2003, 01:47 AM

unaslob is off the scale

http://www.elcova.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=6706011751&m=481607256 4

check out this string

unaslob

Corsa Sport exhaust(offroad 'tip'), Gobi rack w/ lights & w/roof mounted tire w/ ladder, Warn Winch with rear power, Dual Wolo Airhorns w/ lanyard valve, Hadley Aircompressor 130PSI, 14" airtank, front and rear quick disconnects for air, Cobra 75 WX CB, Dual 4' Firestik fiberglass whips, front tinted windows, 7" Homer Simpson decal (teehee)!
Corsa Sport exhaust(offroad \'tip\'), Gobi rack w/ lights & w/roof mounted tire w/ ladder, Warn Winch with rear power, Dual Wolo Airhorns w/ lanyard valve, Hadley Aircompressor 130PSI, 14\" airtank, front and rear quick disconnects for air, Cobra 75 WX
Old 11-20-2003, 02:13 AM
Hummer Guru

Thanks Unaslob and Buddy.
I'm not sure if it's worth the jolting.
I may or may not try it, but if I do, I'll let ya'll know of the results.
Old 11-20-2003, 01:02 PM

Detonate is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by buddy:
Results: Very harsh ride, lost travel, increased torsion bar fatigue, and wheel aligment usually required.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>What do you mean by "harsh ride"?

Personally, I don't like the wobbly feel of the H2. I wish the ride was much stiffer.

Also, I'm pretty sure I need to crank up my torsion bar at least a little because of adding my front bumper.

You can visibly see my H2 doing a nose dive in the front with all that weight.

-Jim March
Arlington TX
2003 Red H2
Beauty is in the eye of the Beer Holder
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2003, 06:37 PM

buddy is off the scale

Jim,

I cranked up the torsion bars to increase the front end height and eliminate some of that GM rake the H2 inherited. You can crank the TB's as far as they will go with the stock keys, or you can replace the keys and crank them even higher. The more you tighten the TB's, the firmer the suspension becomes and the harsher the ride. My preference is to adjust between stock and max height, which helps to eliminate body roll, nose diving and mushy ride.

Several years ago, a GM mechanic told me not to crank to torsion bars up because they would fatigue sooner and would have to replaced. Later, I read the same thing in one of the 4x4 mags. Regardless what they said or I read, I raised my Z-71 anyway....6-7 years ago and no problems. Crank 'em up.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:38 PM

Centerfire is off the scale

I like the bumber reminds me of the ARB bumper I put on my sub.. What brand is the Brushgaurd/bumper? Do you have an actual weight.

Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Detonate:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by buddy:
Results: Very harsh ride, lost travel, increased torsion bar fatigue, and wheel aligment usually required.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>What do you mean by "harsh ride"?

Personally, I don't like the wobbly feel of the H2. I wish the ride was much stiffer.

Also, I'm pretty sure I need to crank up my torsion bar at least a little because of adding my front bumper.

You can visibly see my H2 doing a nose dive in the front with all that weight.

-Jim March
Arlington TX
2003 Red H2
_Beauty is in the eye of the Beer Holder_<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 11-20-2003, 10:43 PM

Centerfire is off the scale

When they put a lift on my 99 Suburban they added another leaf to the back and cranked up the torsion bars to get the extra 2" to get an overall 6".. The ride did stiffen a little.. The lift has been on for 3 heavy/rough years.. No problems.. besides ,so what if the torsion bars die early.. They are cheap to replace and most people do not keep their toys long enough to make a diference..

Mike

Jim,

I cranked up the torsion bars to increase the front end height and eliminate some of that GM rake the H2 inherited. You can crank the TB's as far as they will go with the stock keys, or you can replace the keys and crank them even higher. The more you tighten the TB's, the firmer the suspension becomes and the harsher the ride. My preference is to adjust between stock and max height, which helps to eliminate body roll, nose diving and mushy ride.

Several years ago, a GM mechanic told me not to crank to torsion bars up because they would fatigue sooner and would have to replaced. Later, I read the same thing in one of the 4x4 mags. Regardless what they said or I read, I raised my Z-71 anyway....6-7 years ago and no problems. Crank 'em up.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 11-21-2003, 03:20 AM
Hummer Guru

I've ordered the Keys, they should be in some time next week. I will have them installed by friday of next week, just in time to go try them out for the holiday weekend.
I will post my opinion of them, as soon as I get to try them out.
Old 11-21-2003, 12:52 PM

Hey Ric, make sure and get lots of pictures of the install and stuff. I'd love a detailed report with pics!!!

-Jim March
Arlington TX
2003 Red H2
Old 11-21-2003, 12:54 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Centerfire:
I like the bumber reminds me of the ARB bumper I put on my sub.. What brand is the Brushgaurd/bumper? Do you have an actual weight.

Mike
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The bumper is from the fine people of Tough Country Products. I don't know the actual weight, but I know that it takes some serious man power to handle that thing. It took 3 people to get the thing off to install my winch.

I've bashed it over many rocks and the bumper is unstoppable!

They have a sweet rack that I'm having installed Thanksgiving weekend as well. I'll post lots of pictures when I get back from El Campo.

-Jim March
Arlington TX
2003 Red H2
Old 11-25-2003, 02:03 AM

Hummertime is off the scale

ric-h2...please post your results. i am interested in same mod.

Just getting started!
03 white lux
silverstar bulbs
Old 11-25-2003, 01:27 PM
Hummer Professional

DURAMAX TIM is off the scale

The green keys just retime the arms w/ the torsion bars so u aren't really changing the ride stiffness.
Cranking the torsion bars shouldn't make the ride more harsh either.
If u crank up the bars to make up for increased load on the front them u are will make a harsher ride.

Yell'r 04 Lux w/ air, sunroof,F&R brush bars
Traded 03 White Lux
03 GMC D/A CC SLT LB soon to be 04
Ex H2&3 owner
My hiking boots and canoe paddle have more miles than most 'offroad' vehicles, over 350 in last year.
Old 12-20-2003, 12:42 AM

buddy is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DURAMAX TIM:
The green keys just retime the arms w/ the torsion bars so u aren't really changing the ride stiffness.
Cranking the torsion bars shouldn't make the ride more harsh either.
If u crank up the bars to make up for increased load on the front them u are will make a harsher ride.

Yell'r 04 Lux w/ air, sunroof,F&R brush bars
Traded 03 White Lux
03 GMC D/A CC SLT LB soon to be 04<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only thing the green keys do is allow more adjustment. They only allow you to put more preload on the torsion bars, therefore increasing the ride height. The spring rate will remain the same and the upward suspension travel will be less the more you crank. You'll know when you went too far after you drive it.