H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 02-12-2009, 01:25 AM
Hummer Expert

brad_p is on a distinguished road
Default My h2's done with

Well last week the h2 died out on me while i was driving, had it towed in and found out monday the engine is done with, yep 85k and good by engine thats insane. So i could drop a new engine in it for 7 grand or they would give me 13k outright. No way would i ever get 20 for my 06 with high miles so i took it. The keeping my gobi rockstars and 37's so thats one thing im upset about i could have gave you guys some good deals, Anyways i took my 13k and went over to land rover and am getting a new lr3 loaded except nav for 13,500 off sticker, i know it wont hold a candle to the h2 in brute off roading but it seams like it is a much smarter 4x4 and for what i will use it for great. I will continue to stick around and have a few parts i could sell. such as black side steps, factory lightbar without wiring, 2 d hooks, and possably stock rims and tires.
[---\-|-----[ -OIIIIIIIO-]
"(O) ) ---- (O) )/"H2"\) )
Old 02-12-2009, 02:09 AM
Hummer Novice

Flesh is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My h2's done with

Well that sucks to hear. I've had my h2 for about 7 months and im finally getting the urge to get some off-road goodies. I hope you enjoy your new vehicle as much as the h2.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:53 AM
Hummer Veteran

hotstang46` is on a distinguished road

man.....I'm sure you know this but why an LR3? That has to be one of if not the most unreliable vehicles currently produced. I just couldn't deal with a vehicle constantly being in the shop, no matter how much I liked it.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:37 AM
Hummer Expert

Well it cant be worst than my h2 and i did look at tahoes its just that for the money you can buy a much nicer, much more exclusive vehical For less money. Im getting a loaded LR3 except nav for less than what i could have got a mid class tahoe without 4x4 for. Land Rover has 60 years of building almost the same vehical so i guess there is something right about them.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:51 AM
Hummer Expert

RazM is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad_p
Well last week the h2 died out on me while i was driving, had it towed in and found out monday the engine is done with, yep 85k and good by engine thats insane. So i could drop a new engine in it for 7 grand or they would give me 13k outright. No way would i ever get 20 for my 06 with high miles so i took it. The keeping my gobi rockstars and 37's so thats one thing im upset about i could have gave you guys some good deals, Anyways i took my 13k and went over to land rover and am getting a new lr3 loaded except nav for 13,500 off sticker, i know it wont hold a candle to the h2 in brute off roading but it seams like it is a much smarter 4x4 and for what i will use it for great. I will continue to stick around and have a few parts i could sell. such as black side steps, factory lightbar without wiring, 2 d hooks, and possably stock rims and tires.

You're going to Land Rover for reliability?

Sorry, that's just ironic...

Wish you luck with it, but the LR3 is not an offroad vehicle, it just doesn't have the angles, and you can't get a decent sized tire under them.

You'd have been better off going with a Rubicon Unlimited IMO.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:04 AM
Hummer Expert

In all truth i dont offroad much with my h2 anyways ive been a total of 4 times. I wont be able to mud ride but i dont plan on doing that anyways all it does is tear **** up. Most of my off roading was on the beach and for that the lr3 will do great at that. If you look it up the lr3 has very similar approach and has a better breakover, as for the departure the h2 beats the lr3 by 10 inches. Also the lr3 has better water fording. Another thing is this is my only ride i dont have a 2nd car, i was having to drive my h2 all the time and i do alot of interstate driving. Im sure gonna miss my h2 but ive already fallen in love with the rover and i havent even got it yet.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:15 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Another thing is this is my only ride i dont have a 2nd car, i was having to drive my h2 all the time and i do alot of interstate driving. Im sure gonna miss my h2 but ive already fallen in love with the rover and i havent even got it yet.

There is a reason why you can buy the rover for less money. It's not worth as much because of it's issues.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I have no hidden agenda. The rover is flat out the wrong vehicle if it is to be your only one. They are absolutely plagued with problems, especially electrical and fuel related. It is only a matter of when and how often gremlins will rear their head with this vehicle. On average an LR3 owner will visit a dealer for problems more their first year of ownership than any other vehicle on the market in the US. Sure they will be covered under warranty but who wants to go to the dealer that often. I think that my family member who's in the industry said the nationwide average was 7 dealer visits within the first year, I may be wrong but I know it's right about that.

I see that you haven't bought it yet. I know the immediate impression from driving it is nice but unless you really really love going to your dealer I would stay far far away. The tahoe would be much more reliable.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:04 AM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I've got 107K on mine and it's still purring. Mobil1(and one round of Amsoil) might have something to do with this.

You really should reconsider the LR3 move - I've got a couple of acquaintances that have them and they curse them on a regular basis. Oh well, keep us informed.

Oh, and be sure to get your rainbow sticker centered in the back window.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:10 AM
Hummer Expert

Ah you guys are killing me, i havent bought it yet but realy like it. Its not so much about it breaking its more about if my job will move me closer to home. Dont know if i want to live here for 3 years to pay the high end car note.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:51 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you know what failed on the engine? Was it a broken connecting rod or crankshaft failure? My nephew in Cincinnati has a Land Rover LR3 and it has spent a lot of time at the dealer with electrical problems and after one year he's so frustrated he's ready to get rid of it. He's been calling me asking about Hummers!

Last edited by HummerJim : 02-12-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:58 PM
Hummer Professional

Fastest H-Town Realtor is off the scale

Quote:
In all truth i dont offroad much with my h2 anyways ive been a total of 4 times. <SNIP>. Most of my off roading was on the beach and for that the lr3 will do great at that. <SNIP>. Im sure gonna miss my h2 but ive already fallen in love with the rover and i havent even got it yet.

You guys are missing the point...read this again and see why the LR is a perfect vehicle for him...

Have-08 Titan C/C,06 GCSRT-425FTLB & AWD, other junk..
Want-08 Viper, 06 M5
Old 02-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerHippy is on a distinguished road

Well that sux. Sorry your H2 didn't last. I dont have first hand experience, but I thought Land Rovers had reliability issues as well. How about a Land Cruiser. I've always thought they were pretty good all around SUVs especially if you're not wheeling a lot.

Good luck. Maybe you need an H3

Gone: 2006 Red H3, Aventure Pkg, 5 Speed, Monsoon, Brush Guard, Rubber Foor mats, Trailer package, Chrome Fuel door, Engine Block Heater.

"You?re making the choices about whether you want to drive a little extra more or not drive extra more."
29-Jul-2008
Old 02-12-2009, 04:46 PM
Hummer Expert

Well guys as it stands now i may be droping a used motor into the h2 and keeping it a bit longer, financialy that would be the best thing for me to do, If i would do that id have no note and insurance is paid until october on it. Could start rethinking from there, im not sure what broke on it but for 3k i can get a used motor put in, im just kinda iffy about it breaking something else, maybe ill put the stock tires on. After a long night of thinking it out and reading what you guys are saying i decided to stay away from the LR3, if i were to just take the money and buy a lightly used car i would want a h3, fj, or a taco.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:59 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Well guys as it stands now i may be droping a used motor into the h2 and keeping it a bit longer, financialy that would be the best thing for me to do, If i would do that id have no note and insurance is paid until october on it. Could start rethinking from there, im not sure what broke on it but for 3k i can get a used motor put in, im just kinda iffy about it breaking something else, maybe ill put the stock tires on. After a long night of thinking it out and reading what you guys are saying i decided to stay away from the LR3, if i were to just take the money and buy a lightly used car i would want a h3, fj, or a taco.
Good. Now go cancel your order for the 55 gallon drum of KY.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:09 PM
Hummer Veteran

zmanH2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well last week the h2 died out on me while i was driving, had it towed in and found out monday the engine is done with, yep 85k and good by engine thats insane. So i could drop a new engine in it for 7 grand or they would give me 13k outright. No way would i ever get 20 for my 06 with high miles so i took it.

I'm sorry to hear that

So who was giving you $13k for your H2 with busted engine? Land Rover dealer or Hummer dealer or insurance or other repair shop?
Old 02-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Hummer Expert

Haha drty, it was a gm dealer. What do you guys think of fj's?
Old 02-12-2009, 08:03 PM
Hummer Veteran

I'm glad you've decided against that rover. You're better off. That FJ is one helluva reliable truck. It will give you years of trouble free service if that's what you're after.

If you're after a luxury sport ute what about the lexus gx470. Those ride pretty nice and there are deals out there. You can presently purhcase the big infinity QX56 for one heck of a deal right now too probably around 25 thousand for a lower mileage truck. It too will run like a top.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:33 PM
Hummer Veteran

Cazador is on a distinguished road

Good decision to steer clear of the Rover. With the exception of a 1997 D90, every RR and LR product I had was a steaming pile.

FJ is a nice truck, more leg room than the H2, but not as comfy. Toyota reliability is tough to beat. I was a serial Land Cruiser owner for years. You owe it to yourself to test drive a slightly used UZJ100 back to back with FJ before you pull the trigger.

Have you considered throwing a diesel engine in the H2? This might be a great opportunity to take the plunge.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:09 PM
Hummer Veteran

xZach is on a distinguished road

You should have taken the $7k and bought a Duramax/Alison... give yourself a nice project!

Seriously though, I would not have bought a land rover :wtf: but whatever... hope your happy with it at least....
Old 02-12-2009, 09:11 PM
Hummer Veteran

xZach is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Drop in an 8.1L Vortec... or a small cummins!!