H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 01-21-2004, 12:17 AM

johnnyrako is off the scale

I seem to have some type of slop in my front end. I can't seem to figure out where it is coming from. I can feel a slight bumping in my steering wheel. It doesn't do it when I brake but more so when I accelerate. The closest dealer is about 90 miles away and I don't have the time to drive there any time soon.
Also, I just had my windshield replaced in Michigan before I transfered down here. I was having a problem with a noise that was similar to a buzzing speaker coming from my windshield area. They replaced it about 3 months ago and now I am having the same problem. Anyone experience this problem also? It gets real bad when I get up to 85+MPH. I guess it's a speed control.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:17 AM

I seem to have some type of slop in my front end. I can't seem to figure out where it is coming from. I can feel a slight bumping in my steering wheel. It doesn't do it when I brake but more so when I accelerate. The closest dealer is about 90 miles away and I don't have the time to drive there any time soon.
Also, I just had my windshield replaced in Michigan before I transfered down here. I was having a problem with a noise that was similar to a buzzing speaker coming from my windshield area. They replaced it about 3 months ago and now I am having the same problem. Anyone experience this problem also? It gets real bad when I get up to 85+MPH. I guess it's a speed control.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:42 AM
Hummer Guru

frank6150 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that might be the seal in your window. I haven't had that problem yet so I don't know what it sounds like. Is your power steering fluid low for the other problem? You are leaking fluid from somewhere so check them all.

I don't know about the dealers where you are but mine will come pick the truck up and leave me with either an escalade or another hummer and bring it back when finished.

S&B Member since '03
Old 01-21-2004, 12:43 AM

buddy is off the scale

I had the same problem. Easy fix for dealer.

Document ID # 1230187
2003 HUMMER H2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clunking Noise Under Hood and Can Be Felt In the Steering Wheel (Lubricate Intermediate Steering Shaft Assembly) #00-02-35-003B - (01/24/2003)
Clunking Noise Under Hood and can be felt in the Steering Wheel (Lubricate Intermediate Steering Shaft Assembly)
2002-2003 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT

1999-2003 Chevrolet Silverado

2000-2003 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe

2002-2003 Chevrolet Avalanche

1999-2003 GMC Sierra

2000-2003 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL

2003 HUMMER H2

With Recirculating Ball-Type Steering

This bulletin is being revised to add model years and models and Correction information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-02-35-003A (Section 02 -- Steering).

Condition
Some customers may comment on a clunk type noise coming from under the hood that also can be felt in the steering wheel. These conditions may be more noticeable when turning at low speeds on rough road surfaces.

Correction

Important
DO NOT REPLACE THE FOLLOWING INTERMEDIATE STEERING SHAFT P/Ns

Remove the intermediate shaft from the vehicle and lubricate the intermediate shaft with a Steering Column Intermediate Shaft Lubrication Kit, P/N 26098419. Follow the service procedure below.

Set the front wheels in the straight-ahead position.
Set the steering wheel in the LOCK position.

From inside the vehicle, remove the upper bolt from the upper intermediate steering shaft (1) to the steering column connection.

From under the hood, remove the lower bolt that connects the upper intermediate shaft to the steering gear coupling shaft.
Remove the upper intermediate steering shaft assembly.
From inside the vehicle, slide the shaft down and off the steering column shaft.
From under the hood, slide the shaft towards the dash in order to disengage the shaft from the steering gear coupling shaft.
From inside the vehicle, slide the upper intermediate shaft through the dash boot seal and remove the shaft from the vehicle.

Remove the spacer clip from the end of the intermediate shaft with a pair of needle nose pliers.
Fully extend the shaft by pulling the two shafts apart.

Apply the syringe of grease supplied in the Steering Column Intermediate Shaft Lubrication Kit, P/N 26098419, into the open end of the shaft. Direct the syringe tip as deep as possible into the shaft and dispense the full content of the syringe.

Insert the plug supplied in the Steering Column Intermediate Shaft Lubrication Kit into the open end of the shaft and finger tighten the wing nut.

Place the plugged end of the shaft on a hard surface and apply pressure to collapse the shaft and dissipate the grease through the shaft.
Remove the plug from the shaft and fully extend the shaft.

Inspect the shaft for a minimum of 13 mm (1/2 in) of grease on the shaft splines.
Repeat steps 10-12 if less than 13 mm (1/2 in) of grease is on shaft splines.
Clean the excess grease off of the shaft splines and around the shaft opening.

Carefully spread apart the spacer clip with a pair of pliers.

Reinstall the spacer clip into the open end of the shaft.

Align the spacer clip with the stakes in the shaft.
Reinstall the upper intermediate steering shaft through the dash boot seal and slide the lower end into the steering gear coupling shaft.
Raise the upper end of the intermediate steering shaft and install into the steering column shaft.
Install the upper bolt and nut. Tighten
Tighten the bolt to 47 N·m(35 lb ft).

Install the lower bolt and nut. Tighten
Tighten the bolt to 50 N·m(37 lb ft).

Parts Information
Part Number
Description
Qty

Lubrication Kit, Steering Column Intermediate Shaft

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

E7700
Shaft, Steering Intermediate - R&R (Lubrication)
0.4 hr

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information. WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:43 PM

How far are you from your dealer? Because these people in Birmingham are not very cooperative.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:31 PM

rhonda-m is off the scale

I guess you take it to Crest in B'ham? They are completely incompetent! Mine has been in for weeks at a time and when I get it back (after I call them), they have never fixed anything. I've had to take in bulletins to tell them how to fix.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:43 PM

cinci is off the scale

Johnny,

I am having the same problem with my windshield. It is a buzzing sound at highway speed coming from the windshield. I am going to take it to the dealer this week.

Thanks,
David
Black H2
Green 97.5 H1 Wagon
Old 02-10-2004, 03:28 AM

bdiddy is off the scale

I had the windsheild problem as well, it's annoying as hell for those of us that have had to deal with it. It's an easy fix too. After a few hours I found the culprit, it's the black trim that covers the pillar. Remove the two screws in the plastic attaching it to the pillar (door open), pull the weather strip off the piece and remove it. On the backside of the piece there is thin strip of dense rubber that has moved away from the "edge" of the plastic. This allows the piece of plasting "flap" against the winsdshield and make the annoyingly lound noise we have grown to hate. I pulled the strip off, cleaned the plastic and glued the strip as close to the windshield edge as possible...noise gone. If you want to check to see if this is your problem, put a piece of duct tape over the platic piece taping it vertically to the windshield from the center of it to the bottom.

Good Luck!
Old 02-10-2004, 11:12 AM

Gromet is off the scale

"it's the black trim that covers the pillar"

You couldn't possibly take a pic if where you mean? I'm not quite following you.

I have a noise comming from what seems like the passanger side up by the window. it only happens at highway speeds. It seems to be comming from the glass area in the center of the passanger side of the dash? am I close?

2003 Black - Adv/Lux Package
Old 02-10-2004, 11:42 AM

cinci is off the scale

Gromet,

That is exactly the noise that I am having with my H2. It is currently in the shop for an oil change and to fix this problem. They decided to keep it over night to work on the problem. I will post their solution and if the problem was fixed as soon as I get the truck back, which I believe will be this afternoon.

Thanks,
David
Black H2
Green 97.5 H1 Wagon
Old 02-10-2004, 12:06 PM

Gromet is off the scale

great, that would be great cincih2. look Forward to the response.

Old 02-10-2004, 12:13 PM

What about the front end problem? Are you having the same problems? It's annoying. I am from Michigan and always serviced my rig at Detroit Hummer. These people down here can't seem to do anything properly. I don't know what to do? I don't have any other options, either.
Old 02-10-2004, 03:51 PM

cinci is off the scale

Gromet,

I just came back from a test ride with the technician. They replaced the power steering pump because they said it was making noise, I hadn't noticed but thank you very much. But they hadn't been able to identify the noise in the windshield. After about a ten mile test ride where I was finally able to get it to make the noise at around 65 mph he was going to remove the passenger side A pillar to see if some wind getting in was causing the noise.

I will keep you posted on the out come.

Thanks,
David
Black H2
Green 97.5 H1 Wagon
Old 02-10-2004, 04:08 PM

Gromet is off the scale

sounds good, thanks for the update, keep us posted.

Old 02-11-2004, 04:56 AM

bdiddy is off the scale

If you look at the windshield from in front of the car, the first piece you see on the outer edges are black pieces of plastic. They run up the pillars.

Those pieces have strips of rubber on the back of them. Pull them off...two screws on each. The inside edge (towards center of windshiled) is the culprit...I would all but guarantee it. It chatters against the glass, it needs the rubber to "buffer" the plastic from the glass. Re-attach the rubber strip more towards the edge of the plastic (super glue or something) and the noise will go away. I'll take a pic tomorrow if needed, but it's the only thing that touches the windshield (vertically). If you don't want to fix it yourself, let the dealership know that you feel this is the problem and explain the cure...I'm sure they can get it fixed. Plus it'll save you from five other rattles after they tear your H2 apart. (it's a 10 minute fix).

[This message was edited by bdiddy on 02-10-04 at 11:05 PM.]
Old 02-11-2004, 01:18 PM

cinci is off the scale

bdiddy is correct.

I just had the dealer work on this problem and they said that air was getting in under the plastic piece that runs up the outside of the passenger side of the windshield. They had 2 other trucks that had the same problem. They corrected the problem with a "special" double sided foam tape to help seal the plastic strip.

I had a two hour drive after I picked up the truck and it does appear to have solved the problem.

Thanks,
David
Black H2
Green 97.5 H1 Wagon
Old 02-11-2004, 03:09 PM

bdiddy is off the scale

IF it comes back, at least you'll know what it is.

It's a much nicer ride without the rattlesnake in the glove box!
Old 02-23-2004, 11:44 PM

rhonda-m is off the scale

Johnnyracko,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by johnnyrako:
What about the front end problem? Are you having the same problems? It's annoying. I am from Michigan and always serviced my rig at Detroit Hummer. These people down here can't seem to do anything properly. I don't know what to do? I don't have any other options, either.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes - mine's been in 4 times for front end noise. The tech keeps writing that he can't duplicate - which is BS. The svc. mgr. took it and allegedly fixed it, but when he brought it back, it was making the same noise. I am meeting with Hummer Regional Rep. tomorrow to go over problems and service complaints. I'm ready to sue for breach of warranty. As far as I know, there's no other authorized dealer near here and I am sick of these lazy tech's. They don't want to take the time to repair noise-related problems because they get paid a flat rate whether they spend 5 minutes or 2 hours.