H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 11-29-2005, 04:06 PM

NJH3 is off the scale

Hi, new to the board and planning to purchase a H3 in the summer. Does anyone know if there are any plans to offer a Chevy small block V8 in the 2007 model year?
Thanks.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:06 PM

NJH3 is off the scale

Hi, new to the board and planning to purchase a H3 in the summer. Does anyone know if there are any plans to offer a Chevy small block V8 in the 2007 model year?
Thanks.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:11 PM
Hummer Veteran

I WannaHummer is off the scale

Search the forum.....there was thread awhile back all about that. From what I remember there will not be a V8 for 07.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:22 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

From what I recall, nothing definite on a bigger engine but the '07 will have more HP out of the same engine.

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 11-29-2005, 04:32 PM
Hummer Expert

Huck BB62 is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NJH3:
Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I doubt it. You run much more hp or torque, the H3's going to need substantially upgraded drivetrain components. A well built V8 will break anything less than one ton gear off road. The H3's weight, combined with locked diff and axles means that one tire and axle shaft would be subjected to the entire torque of the engine. They'd have to move the whole drivetrain from the H2 to the H3. Anything less than the 6.0 from the H2 wouldn't interest me. I'm sold on the current features of the H3. With it's awesome gear reduction, the engine available will pull it until it's so steep that only velcro will help. A great balance of horsepower and gearing is already engineered into the H3. You get more horsepower with the current drivetrain, you're going to be breaking stuff. It'll go faster but for me, and that's the important part of my statement, for me, that's not what I bought the H3 for. Considering the package, as a whole, as it was designed by Hummer, they must've thought the same way. They had other engines available, MANY others, and they chose the 3500. It works. It's not glitzy, it's not exciting, it's not fast, it works. Kinda like a hammer.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:34 PM

NJH3 is off the scale

Will the 07 use the same block with a different head/cams/ compression/ and intake and exhaust manifolds to generate more power ? Or will it be an add-on like a Turbo or SC? Thanks.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:16 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't know exactly how they are getting the added HP but I would say no on it being a Turbo or SC. I think it is only going up about 25hp. fstop has driven one but I don't think he is allowed to say any more than that.

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 11-29-2005, 05:25 PM
Hummer Expert

First Hummer is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HummerNewbie:
Don't know exactly how they are getting the added HP but I would say no on it being a Turbo or SC. I think it is only going up about 25hp. fstop has driven one but I don't think he is allowed to say any more than that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was told that in 08 the 5300 v8 is going into the H3 with 295 HP.Diesel in 07 V8 in 08.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:04 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Damn First Hummer, who told you that?
http://hometown.aol.com/f5fstop01/im...orlaughing.gif

To the original question, you won't see a V8 in '07. Maybe a diesel late in the model year. As for the disbeliever on the drivetrain components, if, and I do say if (small if), a V8 is installed, it will have the same axles and Tcases; won't mention the trans, but if it is different it is not due to torque, but for fuel mileage...all I will say on that. And guess what; they can handle the additional torque and HP. The drivetrain components are a lot heftier than people think.
Ask me how I know. But I can't say. (I believe we have already had this discussion, and we hopefully, we both agree to disagree.)

As for the statement about the H3 having a great balance of HP and gearing already, that I agree with 1000%. In my opinion, the reports of it being underpowered for on-road use, and for off-road is greatly exaggerated. No, it won't do over 99 mph, no it won't do 0-60 in under 8 seconds, but then again, it is a large vehicle that has enough power to pull away from a light with dignity, merge on an interstate with authority, and climb mountains like a Rocky Mountain Big Horn Sheep; and it does it in great comfort. That is all I ask for in this vehicle.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:04 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by f5fstop:
Damn First Hummer, who told you that?

To the original question, you won't see a V8 in '07. Maybe a diesel late in the model year. As for the disbeliever on the drivetrain components, if, and I do say if (small if), a V8 is installed, it will have the same axles and Tcases; won't mention the trans, but if it is different it is not due to torque, but for fuel mileage...all I will say on that. And guess what; they can handle the additional torque and HP. The drivetrain components are a lot heftier than people think.
Ask me how I know. But I can't say. (I believe we have already had this discussion, and we hopefully, we both agree to disagree.)

As for the statement about the H3 having a great balance of HP and gearing already, that I agree with 1000%. In my opinion, the reports of it being underpowered for on-road use, and for off-road is greatly exaggerated. No, it won't do over 99 mph, no it won't do 0-60 in under 8 seconds, but then again, it is a large vehicle that has enough power to pull away from a light with dignity, merge on an interstate with authority, and climb mountains like a Rocky Mountain Big Horn Sheep; and it does it in great comfort. That is all I ask for in this vehicle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 11-30-2005, 01:54 AM
Hummer Expert

First Hummer is off the scale

fstop,I was talking with the service Manager a few weeks ago about the V8 and he told me that you will see the 5300 V8 in 08.You can take that as far as you can throw a BCM Module oh **** wait i need that.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:52 AM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by First Hummer:
fstop,I was talking with the service Manager a few weeks ago about the V8 and he told me that you will see the 5300 V8 in 08.You can take that as far as you can throw a BCM Module oh **** wait i need that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only kidding. I believe it was already mentioned on this site. I just cannot either confirm or deny.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:48 PM
Hummer Veteran

evomind is an unknown quantity at this point

the thing is.....if ya want a v8 in this thing, ur basically looking at a smaller h2 with a little better gas mileage.
i think everyday driving were getting 16-18mpg maybe? what will ya get with the v8? between 12 and 14 maybe?
not to mention when u put bigger tires on it like me....i already cant afford the gas.
i like to see more options for vehicles, but i wonder if the same people who are beating their chest now for more power will be some of the same people whining abt gas mileage later on..
Old 11-30-2005, 05:39 PM
Steve - SanJose

evomind,

See your point on gas mileage, yea it looks like many of us are seeing around 15-17mpg (my personal experience over 8000 miles so far) on a regular basis with our H3's. More cubic inches will definitely mean more gas consumption. And GM financially is a debt-ridden disaster with limited resources for spending on nice to have projects.

If I wanted a faster on-road SUV, there were plenty of choices when I bought the H3 and traded my faster Highlander.

Steve
Old 11-30-2005, 06:03 PM
Hummer Veteran

psywzrd is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve-SanJose-H3:
evomind,

See your point on gas mileage, yea it looks like many of us are seeing around 15-17mpg (my personal experience over 8000 miles so far) on a regular basis with our H3's. More cubic inches will definitely mean more gas consumption. And GM financially is a debt-ridden disaster with limited resources for spending on nice to have projects.

If I wanted a faster on-road SUV, there were plenty of choices when I bought the H3 and traded my faster Highlander.

Steve </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Man, I'd love to see 15-17mpg from my H3. I can't seem to break 13mpg. Am I totally in the minortiy here or is anyone else getting lower than expected mileage?
Old 11-30-2005, 07:55 PM
Hummer Expert

DarthKarl is off the scale

I generally get about 14.5 in city and 17.5 on the highway. I can't complain too much about that.

The lower milage on a possible V8 doesn't drive me away (so to speak) it's more the additional cost of a larger block engine. If I was doing any towing maybe my opinion would change, but I'm more than happy with the I5, I think it gets the job done.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:29 PM
Hummer Professional

HoKC is off the scale

Do not think that the V8 has to mean less mileage. The new Tahoe is rated at 20mpg on the highway with a V8.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:40 PM
Hummer Veteran

evomind is an unknown quantity at this point

i get about 200 miles from full to warning light. i think i was getting 220'ish b4 the lift and bigger tires. im not sure what 200 miles equates to in mpg, keep forgetting to check.
as far as tahoes being rated at 20 on the highway, all that rating means is that its humanly POSSIBLE to achieve that. real world its probably closer to 17.5 cause ur not gonna drive at 55mph steady the whole time.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:47 PM
Hummer Professional

HoKC is off the scale

Point is that it is poss to get ratings that are decent for a V8. The DOD system really helps.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:50 PM
Steve - SanJose

DOD can really help only the highway mileage. Tahoe 4wd is rated at 15/19 which is pretty good considering 5200 pound curb weight. But it has better aerodynmaics, taller gearing, and all season street tires. Tahoe is not a Hummer.

You want a fast and economical SUV, check out the upcoming Toyota Rav 4 with the 268 hp V6. But Rav 4 is not a Hummer.

It would be interesting to see how a 5.3L V8 could be crammed into the stubby front end of an H3. Maybe a custom builder could do it to build a sleeper road SUV. But I can't imagine what that lump of cast iron would do to the offroad dynamics of the H3.