H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 07-24-2006, 07:17 PM
Hummer Expert

H3.007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation WARNING - H3 Off Road Lights - Possible Fire Hazard

Hi All,

Recently, I accidently bumped the off-road light switch in my H3 without realizing it. I began smelling burnt plastic about 15 minutes after I fgure I had bumped the switch but did not realize what was "burning" until I noticed my lamp covers warping about an hour after I figured bumped the switch.

The Hummer dealer I bought the H3 from had installed the off-raod lights post shipment. When I told them about the problem, they allegedly checked the GM specs for the installation and they said they did it correctly - but were willing to replace the damaged items and rewire the switch to the ignition relay.

I have been wiring vehicle electronics for close to fifteen years now and I have never heard of wiring a push button switch to a "hot wire". Does anyone else have an H3 with the hot-wired botton? Do any of the Hummer techs that frequent this site know if it is a common practice to do this or not? If it is - fair warning - I bet there's a decent chance that the melt could result in a fire that could burn the vehicle, house, or garage the hicle was stored in if not caught in time. Thankfully, I was there to realise the problem. But I wonder what would happen if the problem was left unattended overnight???

Last edited by H3.007 : 07-25-2006 at 03:10 AM.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:52 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WARNING - H3 Off Road Lights - Possible Fire Hazard

Gee, irregardless of whether or not the switch was wired hot or not, if you turn on the switch, be it a throw or push button type, the lights will come on, and the covers, if installed will melt.
I agree, if wired to ign Hot versus B+, the ignition switch would cut them off.
So, not sure what you are trying to say, except you accidentally hit a switch and burned your covers. Hell, I have done that a few times myself with aftermarket lights. From experience, the covers will not burn, but will melt quite nicely. My experience comes from a lot higher output bulbs than the 55 watters used on the factory lights, I never started a fire.

Also, hate to inform you, this is not considered an "electronic" circuit, it is an electrical circuit, we are not talking in milliamperes, but in AMPS. There is a big difference between the two.

Want to change it to a ignition circuit, write me and I'll send you the exterior light schematics. With your experience, it should not be a problem.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:44 AM
Hummer Expert

Hummer called me back and they are going to replace the whole thing, wiring it to the ignition switch, despite the fact they claim they followed GM specs in wiring it the way they did. I called a GM garage and they stated that the wiring should have never been connected the way it is...

So regardless of what you call it, someone screwed up. Fair warning for those with these lights - while "us idiots" who know not to run our lights with the covers on have now been re-educated that you aren't supposed to (land o goshen, golly gee), an accidental switch activation due to improper wiring is possible with these lights. Check yours before you have the same problem I did.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:00 AM
Hummer Veteran

bjc is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
So, not sure what you are trying to say, except you accidentally hit a switch and burned your covers.

Yeah, that was my impression as well - your title is a bit alarmist.

I accidently broke the plastic tabs that keep the covers on so I ride without them. I know they are technically supposed to be covered when not in use, but I have ended up using the lights a whole lot more now since I can just hit the switch instead of having to get my lazy ass out of the truck to remove the covers.
Birch White H3 Manual, Adventure Package, Sunroof, Trailering Package, Off-Road Lamps, Splashguards, Black Tubular Assist Steps, Black Crossbows, Mudder Mats, Ski Rack, Warn XD9000 w/ DOI Hawse Winch Bumper, DOI Prototype Skid Plates, M101A1 3/4 ton trailer.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:08 AM
Hummer Expert

I'd rather be an alarmist than to have somebody's child burn up because of someone's stupid mistake and the chance that a fire may happen regardless of the odds and experience.

Also, don't try riding around Pennsylvania with your covers off because you didn't feel like putting them on - its an instant invite for a respectable traffic citation.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:30 AM
Hummer Expert

evldave is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3.007
Hi All,

Recently, I accidently bumped the off-road light switch in my H3 without realizing it. I began smelling burnt plastic about 15 minutes after I fgure I had bumped the switch but did not realize what was "burning" until I noticed my lamp covers warping about an hour after I figured bumped the switch.

Been there, done that. Melted the plastic covers right into the lens. It was one of those black plastic toggle switches. I switched to lighted aircraft style (w/o the interlock) so now I know when they are on. We all make mistakes.

Quote:
The Hummer dealer I bought the H3 from had installed the off-road lights post shipment. When I told them about the problem, they allegedly checked the GM specs for the installation and they said they did it correctly - but were willing to replace the damaged items and rewire the switch to the ignition relay.

I checked the FSM - Roof Mounted Off-road lights are wired HOT full time straight from the fusebox. Instructions to install are cake. I'm guessing the installation was done per spec.

Quote:
I have been wiring vehicle electronics for close to fifteen years now and I have never heard of wiring a push button switch to a "hot wire".

Now you have...

Quote:
Does anyone else have an H3 with the hot-wired botton? Do any of the Hummer techs that frequent this site know if it is a common practice to do this or not?

Based on what I see, I'm hoping everyone does. I don't know where you come from, but all my offroad lights are wired full-time hot so I can have them on at night without having to start the truck (and hope I don't wear down the battery)

Quote:
If it is - fair warning - I bet there's a decent chance that the melt could result in a fire that could burn the vehicle, house, or garage the hicle was stored in if not caught in time. Thankfully, I was there to realise the problem. But I wonder what would happen if the problem was left unattended overnight???

I completely disagree with this. The ignition temperature of most metals (what your truck is made with) is higher than what the light will get. The ignition temperature of the plastic (is it ABS, I don't have one) is also likely much higher than the lights will get.

Most likely scenario for when people forget and leave their covers on is the plastic melts and stinks. If you aren't around, the temps will get high enough to most likely melt the wiring of lights, causing a short and cutting power (and no more melting!). Most wiring is rated 90-105C, which is much lower than the ignition temps of most plastics, so the insulation melts first, before there's a fire.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:33 AM
Hummer Expert

evldave is off the scale

Quote:
Hummer called me back and they are going to replace the whole thing, wiring it to the ignition switch, despite the fact they claim they followed GM specs in wiring it the way they did. I called a GM garage and they stated that the wiring should have never been connected the way it is...

Then the 2nd GM garage you called is wrong.

Quote:
So regardless of what you call it, someone screwed up.

Just you, my friend.

Quote:
Fair warning for those with these lights - while "us idiots" who know not to run our lights with the covers on have now been re-educated that you aren't supposed to (land o goshen, golly gee), an accidental switch activation due to improper wiring is possible with these lights. Check yours before you have the same problem I did.

Or just don't turn on the switch with the covers on.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:34 AM
Hummer Guru

NEOCON1 is an unknown quantity at this point

he had some crispy micky mouse ears
* Rollin with the Banned and the Damned *

"Fred Thompson for President "
Old 07-25-2006, 04:37 AM
Hummer Expert

evldave is off the scale

Quote:
I'd rather be an alarmist than to have somebody's child burn up because of someone's stupid mistake and the chance that a fire may happen regardless of the odds and experience.

Also, don't try riding around Pennsylvania with your covers off because you didn't feel like putting them on - its an instant invite for a respectable traffic citation.

Aren't you on 1st name basis with the PA Attorney General? Maybe you should just call him and tell him to ban all offroad light covers because of the pervasive threat to all helpless children due to their own PARENTS negligence. Sorry, buddy, this one is all you...
Old 07-25-2006, 04:45 AM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

evldave with the FSM. I suppose I could have called you this weekend....glad I kept you cell, I'll remember next time
Old 07-25-2006, 04:48 AM
Hummer Expert

evldave is off the scale

Off-road light schematic
Old 07-25-2006, 04:50 AM
Hummer Expert

evldave is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummBebe
evldave with the FSM. I suppose I could have called you this weekend....glad I kept you cell, I'll remember next time

Anytime! Just let me know! I carry them in the truck, so they are almost always at hand in case of emergency (ps-I did the same thing as the tech when I took my panel off - forgot to hook back up the fan control, took me a full day to realize it was my own dang fault )
Old 07-25-2006, 10:44 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Eldave has done an excellent job of rebuttal, and that wiring schematic is just like mine.

I carry my schematics on the laptop....
Old 07-25-2006, 12:08 PM
Hummer Professional

Mark805 is off the scale

I went into my dealership a few weeks ago and they had one of those blue limited edition H2T in the showroom. My sales guy comes up and tells me how sweet it is and I was drooling, I love that blue color.

I look up at the off road lights on the roof and ask "Are those warped covers included? Cause they look like crap."

He looks up and the look on his face about made me laugh. I said "good thing I bought the H3 without the off road lights". Someone had left the lights on and melted the covers. He promply had the service dept out there moving stuff around.

moral of the story: Can happen to anyone. Like mom always says "Turn off the lights!"

note to self: Dont argue with evldave

Dear GM: PLEASE SELL ME AN HX
Old 07-25-2006, 12:17 PM
Hummer Authority

ree is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by evldave
Based on what I see, I'm hoping everyone does. I don't know where you come from, but all my offroad lights are wired full-time hot so I can have them on at night without having to start the truck (and hope I don't wear down the battery)
Can't you wire it to a circuit that's on when the key is in the run position, put the key in and turn it to run, but don't start the engine? Yes you have to put the key in, but you don't have to start the truck.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:58 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree
Can't you wire it to a circuit that's on when the key is in the run position, put the key in and turn it to run, but don't start the engine? Yes you have to put the key in, but you don't have to start the truck.
Yes, that is the way you wire them. Wiring them to constant 12V POS makes no sense for practical purposes.

Aftermarket light manufacturers even vary on their wiring diagrams. Some are through a switched source and some just say 12V POS.

The grill lights that came on the H2 were wired hot all the time and when I put the PIAAs up there, I rewired the switch to be on a switched circuit. It's just a matter of common sense. I don't need the lights to be able to burn without the key on and more importantly the engine running (since now I have 8 - 85 watt and 4 - 55 watt lights).

But, H3.007, why don't you think the same thing can occur with the key ON. I've melted covers before. It get's gooey, makes a mess, cools down, hardens and then is a pain. It doesn't catch fire, it doesn't kill little children or blow up houses or even cause heart attacks. The true hazard is to your ego for being the idiot that hit the switch and melted your covers. Get over it, you are certainly not the first and most certainly won't be the last.

Last edited by PARAGON : 07-25-2006 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:10 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAGON
Yes, that is the way you wire them. Wiring them to constant 12V POS makes no sense for practical purposes.
I know this. It was sort of a rhetorical question to point out to evldave that you can get run the lights without engine wired to ignition switched. And for H3.007, if he's still afraid of a house fire, it'll eliminate that scenario.
Quote:
But why don't you (H3.007) think the same thing can occur with the key ON. I've melted covers before. It get's gooey, makes a mess, cools down, hardens and then is a pain. It doesn't catch fire, it doesn't kill little children or blow up houses or even cause heart attacks. The true hazard is to your [H3.007's] ego for being the idiot that hit the switch and melted your covers. Get over it, you (H3.007) are certainly not the first and most certainly won't be the last.
Redirected/fixed.

Last edited by ree : 07-25-2006 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree
I know this. It was sort of a rhetorical question to point out to evldave that you can get run the lights without engine wired to ignition switched. And for H3.007, if he's still afraid of a house fire, it'll eliminate that scenario.
I know this I was backing up what you were saying

Damn, people are awfully jumpy around here.

I was simply adding to your comment.

There, I edited it to make it clear to whom I was addressing.

Last edited by PARAGON : 07-25-2006 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:14 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
I know this I was backing up what you were saying
I thought (now know) you knew, I know this.

Quote:
Damn, people are awfully jumpy around here.
I've been up since 3:30 (child issues) and am a little over-coffee'ed.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree
I've been up since 3:30 (child issues) and am a little over-coffee'ed.
melted light covers?